CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

At least in NJ, in the EWR/Cape Liberty area, taxi fare finder websites are notoriously WRONG...

As 138 suggested, figure on $50-60......plus tip......yes, it's expensive, yes it's only a few miles and yes, welcome to NJ, my nightmare!

Edited by megr1125

Hi everyone. Overwhelmed with all the info so just thought I would ask. Taking a cruise on June 1st. Leaves out of San Juan but arrives in New York. It is on the Carnival Splendor.

Is there only 1 cruiseport in New York. I have heard mention of a few different names so not sure where we will be docking.

Is LGA the best airport or is any of them OK. Just be going right from the ship to the airport to go home.

Thanks for any info.

There are three docks in NY. You wii dock in mid town and LGA is probably the best airport from there.

Thank You. There is a flight that leaves at 11:10. Is this enough time if we dock at 8. I know usually in Florida we are at the airport by 9 or so. The other flight is at 2:05. Would rather take the earlier one if possible. Just not sure of the logistics of getting to the airport from the port. Do we just take a taxi or set something up in advance. There is 4 of us.

That's a bit tight for a Tuesday morning arrival in NYC. You really need to be at LGA by 10 am which means you have to get there during the end of the morning rush hour. Any traffic issues at all could cause you to miss your flight.

Thank You. There is a flight that leaves at 11:10. Is this enough time if we dock at 8. I know usually in Florida we are at the airport by 9 or so. The other flight is at 2:05. Would rather take the earlier one if possible. Just not sure of the logistics of getting to the airport from the port. Do we just take a taxi or set something up in advance. There is 4 of us.

No need to arrange anything in advance. A taxi will take you to LGA for about $40-$45 plus tolls (which can be $0, depending on the route) and tip. However you'll probably need a larger mini van or SUV taxi to take 4 people plus luggage.

If you want to have a firm, fixed price (taxis are metered so the fare can vary by route driven and traffic) then book a car service. Two of the largest in NY are:

Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

With four passengers plus luggage they will insist that you book a min van...probably about $50-$60 plus tolls and tip.

It may be touch and go to make an 11:10 flight. It can be done, but if the ship arrives late, or customs/immigration clearance is slow, or you hit traffic on the way to LGA there's a good chance you could miss your flight. I'd recommend you use the cruise line's self disembarkation process where you walk off with your luggage.

We are going from western suburbs of Philadelphia to Cape Liberty. Is there a train and taxi solution that works?

Ken

You can take the train to Newark and a taxi to the port.

Can you manage your luggage? If I recall correctly if you take the train in from the Phillie burbs, you come into 30th street upstairs and if you want to take Amtrak to Newark you have to get you and your luggage downstairs into the main station. Don't know if you can get red cap assistance.

However I do know if you come in upstairs, you can take the Trenton local and transfer across the platform in Trenton to the New York local. Takes more time, costs less, and is much more doable with luggage.

You can take the train to Newark and a taxi to the port.

Can you manage your luggage? If I recall correctly if you take the train in from the Phillie burbs, you come into 30th street upstairs and if you want to take Amtrak to Newark you have to get you and your luggage downstairs into the main station. Don't know if you can get red cap assistance.

However I do know if you come in upstairs, you can take the Trenton local and transfer across the platform in Trenton to the New York local. Takes more time, costs less, and is much more doable with luggage.

getting around 30th street is not bad..elevator down to concourse...ramp to lower part of staytion, snag a red cap and get onto Amtrak. No red caps in trenton or at ewr airport rail station....and no red caps at the Septa regional lines...but i have been there done that at 30th street station a million times...not too bad....i take septa from yardley or trenton all the time and transfer to Amtrak...( to save a buck...sometimes it is way cheaper for me to bo Philly to DC, even adding in the septa ticket, than to go from trenton...)

there are red caps at newark penn station....a couple....

Sent from my iPad

Hello. I will be cruising on the Quantum March 13 with my family of 5, as well as my son's friend. We keep going back and forth about where to stay before the cruise. The tweens/teens range in age from 11-18 so two hotel rooms are needed. We're driving in on March 11 so we can spend a full day on the 12th being NYC tourists. I was going to book Country Inn or other in Elizabeth, NJ but don't want the distraction of the outlet mall and feel we should find somewhere with easier access to transportation into the city or right in the city. Given the fact that we've graduated to needing 2 rooms, I don't want to go too pricey with the hotel. We're used to staying at Hampton Inn-type hotels when we travel and don't need anything fancy, but would like to feel safe. We're fine with parking at the port if park and cruise package isn't offered by the hotel. Any ideas? I could also use advice on how best to tour NYC in one day. Thank you in advance!

This is tough. What is your budget per room?

If you stay at the airport and use public transit it will cost almost $150 for your group to take the train to NYC. However if you drive to Secaucus Junction or into Jersey City you would pay only $25-30 to park plus public transit fares of $31-45. I'm assuming you are all coming in one car.

Parking at the port is $19/day. IMO that is the best option for your large group - $152 for 8 days.

I'm seeing a great deal on aa.com for Mar 11-13 for two rooms cancellable at $339 tax included with continental breakfast. That's about $85/night tax included. Parking is extra - about $15/day. Cruisers stay at this hotel all the time. Anything else at this price is going to be a dump.

My advice is to book this immediately before it disappears and continue to look around at other alternatives.

We will be driving from Maryland to the Hampton Inn on Staten Island on Sunday, Feb 1st.

Going north on I-95 (NJ Tnpk), Mapquest says to get off at Exit 13 (I-278 east) while Google says to get off at exit 10 and take 440 over to Staten Is.

We're not familiar with the area. Any advice from you folks in the know would be greatly appreciated.

We will be getting off the cruise ship on Friday, Feb 13th and driving back to MD. Just wondering if reversing the direction to get home will be best way for us.

Thanks,

J Burton

Edited by JEBurton

I personally prefer getting off at Exit 10. You save $2.65 each way in tolls and don't have to deal with the Goethals Bridge at exit 13 or the NJ Turnpike between exits 10 and 13.

When you get off at exit 10 you want to drift to the left. The righthand lanes veer off to the Garden State Parkway entrance.

Thanks for your advice. Which hotel are you referring to? Am I searching NY or NJ?

It's the Ramada Plaza at Newark Airport in NJ. It will take you about an hour to get to New York by driving to Secaucus Junction, parking and taking NJ Transit to New York Penn Station. If you want to spend more money (at least $150 more) there could be other options that are closer in NJ, but not NYC.

You need to look at aa.com.

I also see the Doubletree Metropolitan at a decent price. Any thoughts? How long would it take us to get to the port in the morning? Would driving in and out of there be horrendous?

That hotel in in Manhattan. That means you'll have to contend with driving into Manhattan on a weekday and contending with the traffic, paying some outrageous amount of money (probably $50 per night or more) to park your car, and then driving to NJ to get your cruise. If I were you I wouldn't do it.

Edited by njhorseman