CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

"Adjacent" is a relative term. It is about 3 miles from the cruise terminal to Stop and Shop. The cruise terminal is two miles out on a peninsula and Stop and Shop is across the channel on the next peninsula.

"Adjacent" is a relative term. It is about 3 miles from the cruise terminal to Stop and Shop. The cruise terminal is two miles out on a peninsula and Stop and Shop is across the channel on the next peninsula.

Thanks Carol...would this be anywhere along the route we would take from the Embassy Suites-Elizabeth to the pier or is it out of the way on that trip?

Here are two quick progress photos I grabbed on Thursday 6/19 and Saturday 6/28. The steel work for half of the terminal is now up. They are pouring the floor and foundations for the rest. Things were moving swiftly and the change from when we left 9 nights earlier were amazing.

Eric

8606747_earlyprogress-Copy.jpg.a7c91607153206fecfa6356adfdc2264.jpg

494696024_Progresscopy.jpg.46f33c957cf3a927d86b2892fa139caa.jpg

Edited by Pomperaugrr

Thanks Carol...would this be anywhere along the route we would take from the Embassy Suites-Elizabeth to the pier or is it out of the way on that trip?

I've never been in the Stop and Shop, but I have seen the plaza it is in. When you come from Elizabeth, you get off the Turnpike at Exit 14A and follow the port directions I post all the time to get onto Route 440 South. The port is the first left turn and the terminal is two miles out on that peninsula. To get to Stop and Shop you continue south on route 440 and I believe you make the next possible "left" turn which takes you into the shopping plaza. Actually I think this "left" turn may be a right turn into a jug handle that will allow you to come back across route 440 - effectively a "left" turn. That is the extra mile that makes Stop and Shop 3 miles from the terminal.

Hopefully someone else will post with more precise details if these directions are not correct.

You might want to consider using Google Maps to check this out for yourself as it will be easier than asking someone for the information. You'll be able to see the relative location and the directions and should be much more understandable.

I just pulled it up on GM and Port Terminal Boulevard was visible in the default view. I see there is a Super Walmart nearby as well.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

Edited by MisterBill99

Here are two quick progress photos I grabbed on Thursday 6/19 and Saturday 6/28. The steel work for half of the terminal is now up. They are pouring the floor and foundations for the rest. Things were moving swiftly and the change from when we left 9 nights earlier were amazing.

Eric

That's good to see after so much inactivity. I thought people were talking about a prefab building. Maybe that will be the parking garage.

That's good to see after so much inactivity. I thought people were talking about a prefab building. Maybe that will be the parking garage.

The pre-fab building was rumor and speculation based on the Port Canaveral terminal project. This is definitely the terminal building and it matches renderings posted on the Port Liberty thread in the Quantum of the Seas Sub-Forum. This includes placement along the existing roads.

The parking garage will be standard concrete construction.

Eric

You might want to consider using Google Maps to check this out for yourself as it will be easier than asking someone for the information. You'll be able to see the relative location and the directions and should be much more understandable.

I just pulled it up on GM and Port Terminal Boulevard was visible in the default view. I see there is a Super Walmart nearby as well.

Thanks...a Super Walmart would be even better. We won't be driving ourselves, just trying to get an idea since we'll be hiring a car service most likely. Just want to see if it's reasonable to divert that far from the direct route between our hotel and the pier...we'll check out Google Maps too.

Hi Carol. Can you repost directions to port Liberty from Rt 78 coming from PA? Do the new google map apps have good directions now? We were here 3 years ago and I remember it was very confusing! Thanks!

Honestly I don't know how good the Google maps apps are for the area. The key is getting on the right road coming out of the toll booth and that's pretty easy because it's right straight ahead of you.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Honestly I don't know how good the Google maps apps are for the area. The key is getting on the right road coming out of the toll booth and that's pretty easy because it's right straight ahead of you.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Can these directions be used for coming from the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth?

My family will be cruising out of the Cape Liberty Cruise Port next year. I've already determined to fly home out of EWR as it is the airport closest to the port. However, prior to the cruise we would like to visit New York for 4 or 5 days. We're thinking of staying in the Times Square or Manhattan Midtown areas. If that is the case, which airport should we fly into (JFK, LGA or EWR)? Thanks in advance for any help to make flying into NY easier.

You can get to Manhattan from any of the three airports. Can you get a nonstop Vancouver to NYC? At some point you're going to have to go through customs, so where you do that is a consideration. For a legged flight it might be easier to do the customs and immigration before you get to New York.

I would also price NYC hotels for your dates before committing to a flight. Prices can be crazy and might not suit. Staying in NJ is an alternative, but more difficult if you fly into LGA or JFK.

Hi,

i know you've answered this question before...

staying at the Country Inn and Suites..pre-cruise..

how far is it to the port ?

we looked into a private driver... for 14 of us.. it's 12.00 pp.

how far to the airport... ??

some have a 11 45 flight on a sat... I'm afraid that's cutting it too close, what do you think ?

also the private driver says 12.00 after the cruise to either the airport or hotel...

what do you think ??

thanks...

Barb

Hi,

i know you've answered this question before...

staying at the Country Inn and Suites..pre-cruise..

how far is it to the port ?

we looked into a private driver... for 14 of us.. it's 12.00 pp.

how far to the airport... ??

some have a 11 45 flight on a sat... I'm afraid that's cutting it too close, what do you think ?

also the private driver says 12.00 after the cruise to either the airport or hotel...

what do you think ??

thanks...

Barb

$12/pp is least expensive rate I've seen quoted recently. It's a good deal.

The folks with the 11:45 flight need to self disembark (must sign up for this and be able to carry your luggage). After they go through customs they should go to the livery dispatcher and he will put them either on a shared shuttle to the airport ($16/pp) or in a private car to the airport (about $50-60 for up to 4 people).

Cape Liberty is about 11 miles from the airport. Country Inns is maybe 12 miles. Country Inns is basically at the airport.

what's options for transportation from port to Newark airport? any shuttle bus? easy to grab a cab? our flight is 11:24, how early we need to get off ship?

any suggest will be greatly appreciated.

You need to plan to self disembark (you need to sign up for this) and be prepared to possibly carry your luggage from deck 2 to deck 1 and load it on a shuttle bus which will take you to the terminal. You make a left coming out of customs and immigration and go down to the livery dispatcher who can put you on a shared shuttle to Newark Airport for $16/pp or get you a private car for $50-60.

You're coming in on a TA, which is unusual for Cape Liberty, so it's hard to predict how the timing will work and when they will actually clear the ship for disembarkation. For the regular Cape Liberty schedule, disembarkations were running late for a lot of the year even though the ship arrived by 6:30-7:00 am.

If you were able to score a really low disembarkation number with an early time, you would be OK for your flight. They are very good about getting the luggage off, so lack of luggage is usually not an issue. Getting a porter usually gets you to cut the customs and immigration line. Quite frankly, it's always an option to just walk off the ship. It should take no more than 30 minutes to get to the airport, but you want to have some wiggle time for traffic.