CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Thanks so much for the knowledge that you are sharing on this thread. I've done some research but have a few questions and also would like your expert opinions if I'm missing out on anything or could do something better.

I'm cruising with 8 other family members, so 9 people altogether (unless I can talk DH into joining us) (my parents (mid 70s), my two kids 10 and 12, my brother and his wife (early 40s) and their daughters (7 and 9). We are on the Explorer to Bermuda departing Saturday June 14. We live in Western Pennsylvania and plan to drive in the night before.

My thinking is to find two hotel rooms in Parsippany for Friday night (one room will have to accommodate 5 people), I was looking at the Hampton, which has some good deals but might be a tight squeeze or the Sonesta ES, which is pricier but definitely has more room. I don't think the bidding sites would work for us because of the need for a room to accommodate 5.

Is it even possible to leave the cars (we will have two) and take a car service to the port? I think this would be easiest, if more time consuming because of the need to go back to the car after the cruise.

My biggest concern with driving to the port is that my dad has some mobility issues, he uses a walker and has a hard time going any distance at all. If we drive to the port, where should be go to get assistance for him? Is there a special place to drop him off? He is booked in a Royal Family Suite, so I believe the concierge perks will allow him to board relatively early in the process. I have a concierge service number that I will call to discuss getting assistance for him but any insight is appreciated.

Money is not a huge concern, my parents are paying for the trip as a Christmas gift to us (they say they'd rather enjoy it with their grandchildren now than pay for nursing homes later, plus we got a huge discount because of the recent 3, 4 and 5 passengers sail free promotion) but I would like to save them some money where possible without taking away from the special nature of the trip.

If you've read this far, thanks so much for any insight you can provide.

For your group I would consider getting three rooms on Hotwire - one for you and your children, one for your parents, and one for your brother and his family. The money you will save will pay for the extra room. I put in 3 rooms and 9 people for June 13 and three hotels came up in the Parsippany Whippany area. There is a 3* hotel with a 100% approval rating (very unusual) that offers free breakfast (big savings for 9 people) for $69 plus tax. It is also a suite hotel, offers internet, a pool and other amenities. If you book this, call the hotel directly late morning the day before or the day of and ask them to block out three rooms together for your party of nine and get the person's name. You may not know the hotel name in advance, but you know it will meet all your requirements and that it was highly approved by others who have stayed there.

You should drive directly to the port and park both cars there. It will cost you $190 for a five day cruise. There is no way you can get get any kind of round trip port transportation for 9 people for $190.

I sailed many times from Cape Liberty with my mother who had mobility issues. You must insist that your father get wheelchair assistance to get on the ship. If he is reluctant, tell him that it is absolutely necessary for his personal safety and that it is not negotiable. Does he have a handicapped placard? If so, be sure to bring it.

Both cars should try to stay together at Cape Liberty. There will be a guy in the access lane who will direct you. Tell him you have two cars together and a handicapped drop off. He will tell you what bay number to pull into. One adult needs to find someone from RCL (usually standing near the security entrance doors) and ask them for wheelchair assistance. The other adults should get the porters to unload all the luggage, which should be tagged and ready to go. Tip about $2/ bag.

Once the luggage is taken care of, I would get your parents out of the car with their carryons and find seats on the bench under the tent. Leave one adult with your parents to wait for the wheelchair. The other two adults get back in the cars to continue on to the parking with the children.

To get to the parking you make a left at the end of the tent and the next left between a row of buildings. You prepay the parking. You go about halfway through the first parking lot and make a left towards a gap in the chain link fence where you can cross to the parking closest to the ship. Someone will be there to assist you in crossing the access road to the other parking area. If you have a handicapped placard, you can park in the handicapped area as close as possible to the end of the tent. The other car can park in the regular parking. It's an easy walk back to the tent area - no worse than a mall parking lot.

By the time you get back your father should have his wheelchair and attendant and you should be read to check in. There should be handicapped access to the security line and priority checkin because of your suite status.

I always did this by myself, so I tipped for any extra assistance. Well worth every penny.

When you disembark, you can usually get porters to take your luggage all the way out to the parking. Once again this is money well spent because the porters can cut the customs line.

When you get on board check with guest services about registering for handicapped assist for disembarkation.

They are going to be building a new terminal and parking at Cape Liberty, so it's possible that by June the traffic flow will be changed.

So if I book the Lexington Marriot at their website rate of $287.10 for a queen room and then make the claim for the AA room rate of $191.40 they will reduce the rate?

What exact date are you looking at? You have to be sure you are booking a "standard" rate and not some sort of special rate. It appears that the aa.com rate is special for a queen and standard for a king or double.

If you find another deal that Marriott approves as an LNF, you get 25% off the other rate you found. So if aa.com is $240 and the Marriott website is $300, you should get the room for $180, which is 25% off the $240 aa.com rate.

You basically have an excellent plan. I can't make the hotel decision for you. If it were me, I'd take a chance on Hotwire and get 3 rooms so that everyone would be more comfortable. Parsippany is a nice suburban area with newer properties. I think there are multiple hotels that would satisfy your group if you were split into 3 rooms.

What I feel most strongly about is that you drive to and park at the port. You have lots of hands to help with your Dad and you can get additional help from RCL to make a smooth transition to the ship. Embarkations can be chaotic, but if you know what help is available and have a strategy, it will go much more smoothly.

Of course the prime directive is that all the documentation is in order and everyone has the appropriate passports and "sealed" birth certificates to be allowed to board. The rest will all fall into place.

That's different. Could you please post back and review the hotel and surrounding area?

You can arrange a car service to the port for $50-60.

You can take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and get an RCL transfer. Be sure to check if the hotel shuttle drops you off at a terminal or at P4 where you have to take Airtrain to a terminal. Chances are the RCL transfer will not start running until about 11 am.

You can take a cab to Newark Penn Station (perhaps the hotel shuttle will drop you there), take PATH to Exchange Place for $2.50, take the elevator up to the street level where you take the light rail to 34th St in Bayonne for $2.10, and call Bayonne taxi to take you into the port for $10-12. This is an easy trip because it is totally accessible with luggage and you will be able to get a seat if you go after 9:30 am.

Thanks for the info!

Do you know how much the RCL transfer is? I think I like that option best. I don't mind getting on the ship later as I'm aiming to be able to go straight to my cabin when I get on, so anything closer to 1pm works.

Do I need to book the transfer beforehand?

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

I have no clue about the transfer - I'd call RCL.

I can't remember the last time I took a ship's transfer. If you want to kill time and save money, I'd consider the public transit. I've done this from NYC and the Path/light rail piece of it was very easy because of the accessibility. I travel with a rolling suitcase and a rolling backpack.

You basically have an excellent plan. I can't make the hotel decision for you. If it were me, I'd take a chance on Hotwire and get 3 rooms sI'm sureo that everyone would be more comfortable. Parsippany is a nice suburban area with newer properties. I think there are multiple hotels that would satisfy your group if you were split into 3 rooms.

What I feel most strongly about is that you drive to and park at the port. You have lots of hands to help with your Dad and you can get additional help from RCL to make a smooth transition to the ship. Embarkations can be chaotic, but if you know what help is available and have a strategy, it will go much more smoothly.

Of course the prime directive is that all the documentation is in order and everyone has the appropriate passports and "sealed" birth certificates to be allowed to board. The rest will all fall into place.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am going to go with the three.rooms on hotwire. I think it will be the sonesta from the description and betterbidding site. If not, I'm sure it will be fine. I'll update when I book it. We will be driving to.the pier. I really appreciate your advice on the disability.piece. He is fine with using a wheelchair and has handicapped plates so we should be good to go on that end. You've eased mind about getting him through the port and onboard. Any suggestions as to what time to.get there?

I'd try to be at the port between 10:30 and 11 am. You'll have to wait to board, but you should be among the first to board. I know that with my mother I didn't relax until we were sitting in the departure lounge.

Rooms aren't available until 1:30, so you might want to be sure kids have swim suits in their carry on. The ship is big, so if you and your party can get through the WJ for lunch, you can move out to the pool deck away from the crowds.

Did you consider renting a wheelchair for the ship? It's a long hike to the Royal Family Suite area, which is all the way aft deck 8. I finally bought a transport chair for my mom. It allowed me to book an aft cabin on the EX and to get her off the ship in Bermuda where there is a lot of walking. There is a little tram, but it is often very difficult to get on, particularly if two ships are docked.

For Feb 9 Country Inns is $95 + tax on aa.com

I keep seeing people finding hotels on aa.com. Isn't this American Airlines? I know aaa.com is Triple A. I have used Priceline, Hotwire & Kayak. I've booked Country Inns for 9/22/14 for $134 w/tax, cancelable.

Aa.com is American Airlines. Sometimes they have very good deals and sometimes not. Their price for your date is higher than your price.

When aa.com has a deal on a Marriott property, it is often possible to use Marriott's Look No Further guarantee to get the room at 25% off the aa.com rate. This can work well for hotels in NYC and Boston, but usually not for Newark Airport hotels.

Aa.com is American Airlines. Sometimes they have very good deals and sometimes not. Their price for your date is higher than your price.

When aa.com has a deal on a Marriott property, it is often possible to use Marriott's Look No Further guarantee to get the room at 25% off the aa.com rate. This can work well for hotels in NYC and Boston, but usually not for Newark Airport hotels.

Carol, thanks for the quick response. I've been reading thru the thread but there are a lot of pages. I never thought to try an airlines website to book a hotel.

OK! I booked through the Marriott site and have submitted the claim form. Hopefully this works as planned.

Thank you so much for your help!!!

I received a response from Marriott today that they've modified my rate to $185 per night plus tax for the double room at the Lexington. Am I correct that the tax will be 18%? If so, the nightly cost should be $218. Very pleased.

We just booked County Inn and they quoted $35/pp rt shuttle. We only need one way and have no need to return to the hotel. Do you know if they do the shuttle one way only? We ask and the reservation agent didn't know. We plan on using the airport shuttle from the port on the way home. If not, we will just get a cab I guess. Also, they mention a "pantry" where you can buy snacks, beer and wine. If the wine is by the bottle then this would solve our problem of where to pick up two bottles to bring on board.

I've booked the CI for a 10 day CA/NE cruise that ends up in Quebec. I called and asked about the shuttle to the ship one way. They checked for me and said it would be $17/pp one way. Looks good for the two of us.

Hi 138east! :D

I'm staying at the Marriott on Broad St.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Oh, the new Courtyard in Downtown? Should be nice!

I haven't gotten there yet, but I might try and pop in one of these days...

(HI Virtopia!! :)

Carol, thanks for the quick response. I've been reading thru the thread but there are a lot of pages. I never thought to try an airlines website to book a hotel.

For some reason, going through American Airlines' site yields lower rates than can be found on Marriott.com..not always..and I tend to succeed in Orlando and Boston..it's strange....but it works if you're willing to poke around...

Glad it worked out....

My husband and I will be flying into EWR the day before our Summit cruise out of Bayonne and will be staying at the Doubletree Newark Aiport (free on points). We need to then get to the port the following day. I just spoke to a Celebrity rep who advised we could take a transfer for $28.50 pp one way from EWR but that we can't pre-arrange this since we are not flying in the same day as departure but just go to the arrivals area/baggage claim and look for a Celebrity representative (no later than 12pm) and they will can then arrange to get us on the bus/transfer and the charge then will appear on our on board account after we board the ship.

1. Does this sound correct to anyone that has done this before? Unfortunately, you can get incorrect info frequently from their customer service agents as well as numerous answers, so I'd feel better hearing from someone on CC that has done something similar.

I've also sent an email to a car service asking for a quote from the hotel to the pier.

2. We will then need transportation back to EWR Airport on Sunday for a departure flight at 12:01pm. Celebrity rep advised they will only book a transfer for flights after 1:00pm. So I guess we will need to self-disembark. But question is there shuttles going to EWR? I thought I read on another thread (from 2009) that their were specific airline buses that then load up per airline and go straight to the terminal. Is this correct and if so, what is the approximate cost of a shared bus to EWR versus a taxi?

Thanks in advance for any insights and/or advice.

My husband and I will be flying into EWR the day before our Summit cruise out of Bayonne and will be staying at the Doubletree Newark Aiport (free on points). We need to then get to the port the following day. I just spoke to a Celebrity rep who advised we could take a transfer for $28.50 pp one way from EWR but that we can't pre-arrange this since we are not flying in the same day as departure but just go to the arrivals area/baggage claim and look for a Celebrity representative (no later than 12pm) and they will can then arrange to get us on the bus/transfer and the charge then will appear on our on board account after we board the ship.

1. Does this sound correct to anyone that has done this before? Unfortunately, you can get incorrect info frequently from their customer service agents as well as numerous answers, so I'd feel better hearing from someone on CC that has done something similar.

I've also sent an email to a car service asking for a quote from the hotel to the pier.

2. We will then need transportation back to EWR Airport on Sunday for a departure flight at 12:01pm. Celebrity rep advised they will only book a transfer for flights after 1:00pm. So I guess we will need to self-disembark. But question is there shuttles going to EWR? I thought I read on another thread (from 2009) that their were specific airline buses that then load up per airline and go straight to the terminal. Is this correct and if so, what is the approximate cost of a shared bus to EWR versus a taxi?

Thanks in advance for any insights and/or advice.

Why would you want to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport with a likely drop off at the P4 Airtrain station to then ride with your luggage to one of the terminals and then start your search for the Celebrity transfer and pay $57 to do this? A car service should run $50-60 and will pick you up at the hotel door and take you to the port. Try Dial7 or Carmellimo for a quote. For a more budget service try Independent driver - 888-816-0973 4-6 weeks ahead.

On the return you make a left coming out of customs and find the dispatcher at the end of the tent. Shared shuttles are $16/pp. The dispatcher will assist you in getting a shared shuttle or a private car service and will quote you a price. You should have no problem making a noon flight if the ship is on time.

Why would you want to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport with a likely drop off at the P4 Airtrain station to then ride with your luggage to one of the terminals and then start your search for the Celebrity transfer and pay $57 to do this? A car service should run $50-60 and will pick you up at the hotel door and take you to the port. Try Dial7 or Carmellimo for a quote. For a more budget service try Independent driver - 888-816-0973 4-6 weeks ahead.

On the return you make a left coming out of customs and find the dispatcher at the end of the tent. Shared shuttles are $16/pp. The dispatcher will assist you in getting a shared shuttle or a private car service and will quote you a price. You should have no problem making a noon flight if the ship is on time.

Carol - thanks so much for the quick response and yes, makes no sense then to take Celebrity's transfer based on the math. :o

When I attempted to take X's transfers without a reservation they told me that was not possible...they're not equipped to take payment at the airport....that may have changed, but them telling you to just show up sounds to me like misinformation....they need a count of how many people are going..and for the record, you CAN book cruise only transfers..meaning you're not using cruise line air, but just their transfers.

Am I surprised at this?? No.....(granted, they may have changed how they operate, but I haven't heard this..)

Carol is correct, use one of her suggestions...

Oh, the new Courtyard in Downtown? Should be nice!

I haven't gotten there yet, but I might try and pop in one of these days...

(HI Virtopia!! :)

Hi megr1125!! :D

I'm looking forward to staying in the hotel, the pictures look nice and a recommended restaurant is right across the street.

Now, is the port closer to the hotel or the airport? Although the public transit option is the cheapest, I saved a LOT on this cruise and won't feel like dragging my full suitcase and carry on bag anywhere. Would taking the hotel shuttle back to the airport and then taking a taxi be cheaper than a car service?

Hi megr1125!! :D

I'm looking forward to staying in the hotel, the pictures look nice and a recommended restaurant is right across the street.

Now, is the port closer to the hotel or the airport? Although the public transit option is the cheapest, I saved a LOT on this cruise and won't feel like dragging my full suitcase and carry on bag anywhere. Would taking the hotel shuttle back to the airport and then taking a taxi be cheaper than a car service?

Hmmmm.....tough one. I wouldn't haul it back to the airport.....cab might be around the same from the hotel.....actually they'd be close in cost I think...

try this....i THINK that they are/were based at the full service Marriott at the airport....

http://www.signaturetransportationinc.com/

I figure a cab and/or car service would be around $50-60. You could try Independent Driver.....

I think that there isn't much difference in distance...the hotel might be a little closer....

(PS....if you're out and about around the hotel, be careful as usual....you can check out this area for food...lots of Iberian restaurants....

http://www.goironbound.com/portal/

and this place is supposed to be awesome...

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/locations/newark/

Edited by megr1125

I would definitely not go back to the airport. From your hotel it should be a quick trip in Raymond Blvd to local route 1&9 to route 440 to the port. You might actually do better on the price if you are not leaving from the airport and there is certainly no reason to deal with the chaos of the airport to try to connect with your transportation.

Another suggestion would be to call the hotel for some car service recommendations.

I have finally booked something thanks to your advice Carol. Having trawled through every website and possibility over hotels in Manhattan I really couldn't justify the price so I checked out Secaucus and booked a hotel through Hotwire (the Clarion) Even though it hasn't got fantastic reviews on Trip advisor its at the Harmon Mall and I only paid £100 for 2 nights including breakfast so thanks for the heads up Carol