CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Wow, thank you so much, that makes much more sense and developing into a perfect plan. I will have to practice my surprised face and use it at the appropriate time to say: “OMG look there’s Macys, let go see”. Thank you, thank you, and thank you!

Use the 7th avenue/33 rd street exit to be opposite Macy's. even if you don't go into Macy's 7th ave is nicer walk

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Question for the pros! :)

We're staying at Country Inn as per suggestions here next month prior to our cruise on the Explorer! We arrive into EWR around 2pm the day before the cruise, so I'm thinking it'll be at least 3:30 by the time we get the shuttle and check in.

Now, I booked this hotel thinking it would be good easy access to walk over to the mall, Ruby Tuesdays, etc, however now I'm reading that it's not the best area to be walking around in, PLUS I'm getting jealous and wishing I could at least SEE NYC for a couple hours having sailed from Bayonne multiple times and never actually getting there!

So here's my dilemma... The room at CI&S IS refundable! However, if our flight it delayed or the weather is bad, we won't want to go to NYC, so I'm thinking its best to stay put where we are. So my question.... If we get to the hotel and decide to go to NYC, what's the best/easiest way of doing that? I'm traveling with my parents and while they're not old, we'd prefer to minimize any hassles (train transfers, long walks, etc) while keeping costs reasonable. How much would a taxi cost from CI&S to NYC (Rockefeller/Times Square areas) around 4-5pm on a weekday? And back? Is there a better route that's EASY and hassle free? (Thinking NOT taking the shuttle to the airport and the multiple trains). Is this all do-able day from around 5ish and getting back at 11ish? We just want to maybe check out the tree at Rockefeller Centre, and Times Square, and have dinner somewhere I think... I know it's a 10 minute walk between the 2 areas which seems straightforward, but wondering about timing and getting to and from there! :)

I did consider the Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island but it seems like the shuttle and ferry would take a long time as well, and we may not want to be doing that late at night to get back. Plus if we decide not to do NYC, there's nothing else to do around the hotel.

Looking forward to hearing any thoughts! And a big THANK YOU in advance to anyone that can assist!

Okay, so I have read through a ton of threads on this topic, but I'm still torn between what is the most practical.

Three of us will be driving from Mass for a 7 day cruise on the Explorer on February 9th. We want to leave the night before, a Saturday, just in case there is bad weather, but are torn between a few option.

Are the sleep/park/cruise packages worth it?

The Springhill Suites is listed at $156 on trinity

Hampton Inn and Suites is $163

Country Inn is $294

Does anyone know if these shuttles are reliable and what time they usually pick up (before and after)?

Our other option would be to stay a bit further away at a cheaper location and just park at the port for the $133. Is there anything recommended under $100?

Convenience is our main concern. Our last cruise we got stuck waiting for a shuttle for hours and then got stuck for an extra week after the cruise due to snow back home (we ended up spending it in Disney so can't complain too much ;)). Since we'll have our 5 year old this time, I'd rather avoid all that stress.

Okay, so I have read through a ton of threads on this topic, but I'm still torn between what is the most practical.

Three of us will be driving from Mass for a 7 day cruise on the Explorer on February 9th. We want to leave the night before, a Saturday, just in case there is bad weather, but are torn between a few option.

Are the sleep/park/cruise packages worth it?

The Springhill Suites is listed at $156 on trinity

Hampton Inn and Suites is $163

Country Inn is $294

Does anyone know if these shuttles are reliable and what time they usually pick up (before and after)?

Our other option would be to stay a bit further away at a cheaper location and just park at the port for the $133. Is there anything recommended under $100?

Convenience is our main concern. Our last cruise we got stuck waiting for a shuttle for hours and then got stuck for an extra week after the cruise due to snow back home (we ended up spending it in Disney so can't complain too much ;)). Since we'll have our 5 year old this time, I'd rather avoid all that stress.

if you are going to park at the port, you might want to check out these 2 hotels. they are very easy to get to and it is pretty easy getting to the port from either one. i'd say its about a 30-40 min drive to the port from either one so your drive Sat will be a little shorter. Again, these are only good if you are parking at the port.

http://hamptoninnyonkers1-px.trvlclick.com/?utm_source=travelclick&utm_medium=cpc

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hpnyk-residence-inn-yonkers-westchester-county/

Has anyone stayed at Quality Inn on Polito Ave in Lyndhurst? I'm trying to use Hubby's hotel points for pre departure night on Jan 30, 2014 (right before SuperBowl). So rooms are limited, and not to mention...$$$$$$$$! They have free parking, no shuttle.

1. Is it Safe?

2. How much is pkg at the pier?

I got a taxi quote of forty each way.

3. Is there any public transportation available in that area? (Polito Ave, Lyndhurst) to get closer to pier instead of taking cab all the way.

Thank you, in advance,

Rachel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the Dec 2 and Dec 12 Explorer cruises (first B2B, yay!) and I posted this on our Dec 2 Roll Call, but thought the experts here may be able to offer some advice. Thanks for any help.

We normally come from the South, get on NJ Turnpike, and it is so easy to get off the exit for Eliz, NJ (Can't recall the exit # now) to CI&S. Being real country hicks, we like easy, direct routes when we get to the big city!

We are coming from a different direction since we are staying with our daughter in TN this Thanksgiving week. We will be coming North on 81 and then on to 78 according to MapQuest (we have GPS too). However, the directions reflect taking exit 57 off I-78 (Rt21) and then it looks like lots of twist and turns to get to CI&S. We stayed at the Wyndam once around the airport and haven't stayed since partly because of how confusing it was to get there! :eek:

Does anyone know a more direct route to CI&S from I78? Thanks

Does anyone have any information on the shuttle thru RCI from the light rail in Bayonne to Port Liberty? Or would it be easier to take a cab? How often does the shuttle run? Does that same shuttle go from port to light rail or airport? Any answers would be helpful....thanx!!

We are on the Dec 2 and Dec 12 Explorer cruises (first B2B, yay!) and I posted this on our Dec 2 Roll Call, but thought the experts here may be able to offer some advice. Thanks for any help.

We normally come from the South, get on NJ Turnpike, and it is so easy to get off the exit for Eliz, NJ (Can't recall the exit # now) to CI&S. Being real country hicks, we like easy, direct routes when we get to the big city!

We are coming from a different direction since we are staying with our daughter in TN this Thanksgiving week. We will be coming North on 81 and then on to 78 according to MapQuest (we have GPS too). However, the directions reflect taking exit 57 off I-78 (Rt21) and then it looks like lots of twist and turns to get to CI&S. We stayed at the Wyndam once around the airport and haven't stayed since partly because of how confusing it was to get there! :eek:

Does anyone know a more direct route to CI&S from I78? Thanks

you can take I-78 to the NJ turnpike south. then get off at exit 13a and follow the signs for jersey gardens blvd. and you are there.

Does anyone have any information on the shuttle thru RCI from the light rail in Bayonne to Port Liberty? Or would it be easier to take a cab? How often does the shuttle run? Does that same shuttle go from port to light rail or airport? Any answers would be helpful....thanx!!

As far as I am aware,there is no RCI shuttle from the Bayonne light rail station to Cape Liberty. There might be a shuttle for the crew, but not for passengers.

The best thing to do is to call Bayonne Taxi from the light rail station and they will send a vehicle by to pick you up. I paid $10 to do this two years ago. To get back to the light rail station from the port, you go to the taxi dispatcher and tell him where you want to go. This trip cost me $4 in a shared van.

Hi all, just a question about disembarkation.

I live only about 25 minutes from port and will have a fried dropping us off and picking us up. I've been reading that disembarkation is a nightmare due to single Lane traffic holding up the process.

We are due to arrive back to bayonne at 8am. If I did the easy walkoff, what time would you say we would be off the ship and ready to be picked up? How long, given customs, shuttle back to terminal, etc?

Just trying to coordinate with my ride. Dont want them sitting in traffic for an hour because of the long line of cars during the mad rush!

Thanks in advance!!

Hi all, just a question about disembarkation.

I live only about 25 minutes from port and will have a fried dropping us off and picking us up. I've been reading that disembarkation is a nightmare due to single Lane traffic holding up the process.

We are due to arrive back to bayonne at 8am. If I did the easy walkoff, what time would you say we would be off the ship and ready to be picked up? How long, given customs, shuttle back to terminal, etc?

Just trying to coordinate with my ride. Dont want them sitting in traffic for an hour because of the long line of cars during the mad rush!

Thanks in advance!!

We sailed on Explorer this past August. We had the lowest numbered luggage tags and were outside the terminal waiting for our transportation at 8:45am. If you carry your own bags, you should be earlier than that.

Edited by clarea

We sailed on Explorer this past August. We had the lowest numbered luggage tags and were outside the terminal waiting for our transportation at 8:45am. If you carry your own bags, you should be earlier than that.

Great, thanks for replying!

Just a few more questions, if you dont mind?

-when did you pick up the luggage number? I read that they are handed out on the 3rd day but not sure how this process works.

-are yyou alotted a specific window of time to leave the ship once they call your number? If so, how long is that time frame?

Thanks again!!

Luggage tags with a number arrive in your room the last day, so you have to understand the process so that you can make plans ahead of time. I think Clarea is diamond plus, so he would have been automatically assigned one of the earliest disembarkation times.

Folks with a lesser C&A status have to be more proactive to arrange the disembarkation time they want. The first thing you must do is to decide whether you want to self disembark and manage your luggage or whether you want to do the regular disembarkation. If you want to self disembark, you go to guest services the first sea day and sign up for that (or find out how to do it). If you want an early disembarkation time,you go to guest services the first sea day and ask for an early time.

In all the many times I've been on the Explorer, I've never actually done the self disembarkation, but I've seen plenty of people doing it. Given the current setup at Bayonne it would not be my first choice. You exit the ship on deck 1 instead of deck 4, so that means there is no spacious public deck to stage the walk offs. On many cruises I saw folks lined up on the stairs with all their luggage to walk down to deck 1. Then everyone has to get their luggage onto the shuttle bus for the 90 second ride across to the terminal.

If your number is called, there is no requirement to leave the ship unless it is one of the last numbers.

There is a cell phone lot where your friend can wait until you are ready.

I'd keep it flexible. Arrange for a low number. Call your friend that morning when you have a better idea of how the disembarkation is really going. Chances are that there will not be any serious port traffic backups initially since most folks will be just getting in their cars and leaving.

Luggage tags with a number arrive in your room the last day, so you have to understand the process so that you can make plans ahead of time. I think Clarea is diamond plus, so he would have been automatically assigned one of the earliest disembarkation times.

Folks with a lesser C&A status have to be more proactive to arrange the disembarkation time they want. The first thing you must do is to decide whether you want to self disembark and manage your luggage or whether you want to do the regular disembarkation. If you want to self disembark, you go to guest services the first sea day and sign up for that (or find out how to do it). If you want an early disembarkation time,you go to guest services the first sea day and ask for an early time.

In all the many times I've been on the Explorer, I've never actually done the self disembarkation, but I've seen plenty of people doing it. Given the current setup at Bayonne it would not be my first choice. You exit the ship on deck 1 instead of deck 4, so that means there is no spacious public deck to stage the walk offs. On many cruises I saw folks lined up on the stairs with all their luggage to walk down to deck 1. Then everyone has to get their luggage onto the shuttle bus for the 90 second ride across to the terminal.

If your number is called, there is no requirement to leave the ship unless it is one of the last numbers.

There is a cell phone lot where your friend can wait until you are ready.

I'd keep it flexible. Arrange for a low number. Call your friend that morning when you have a better idea of how the disembarkation is really going. Chances are that there will not be any serious port traffic backups initially since most folks will be just getting in their cars and leaving.

Thanks a lot for the information. This is our first RCCL cruise so we aren't of any kind of status yet, so do'nt want to gamble on a higher number. I think we are leaning towards self disembarkation at this point so that we can get off the ship early. HOpefully it wont be too bad with the luggage, but we are only bringing one suitcase each. But great to know that i need to arrange this the first sea day, so thank you very much! very excited.

As I said, you can ask guest services for an early departure time. The number you get assigned determines when your luggage is unloaded. Since you live so close to the port, it will really be a much easier experience if you don't have to haul your bags off the ship and onto the shuttle bus. However, it that's what you decide to do, I would wait until the end of the self disembarkation process to walk off and not trash yourselves trying to rush off with the over anxious folks trying to get their luggage into the elevators or down the stairs.

As I said, you can ask guest services for an early departure time. The number you get assigned determines when your luggage is unloaded. Since you live so close to the port, it will really be a much easier experience if you don't have to haul your bags off the ship and onto the shuttle bus. However, it that's what you decide to do, I would wait until the end of the self disembarkation process to walk off and not trash yourselves trying to rush off with the over anxious folks trying to get their luggage into the elevators or down the stairs.

Thanks again Carol, much appreciated. .!!

I have no idea what to do here. I am also freaking out about going to N.J.

to leave on a cruise. The weather in Jan. from Detroit to N.J. This will probably be our last cruise we ever leave out of N.J. Prefer to leave out of sunny FLa.

We want a hotel that isn't a dump , safe, and if we have to pay $200. a night

so be it. And we need transportation to the hotel and pier. Then back to the

airport. And prefer to have a restaurant in the hotel. Ok, what would you suggest?

We prefer to keep the transportation prices low. And stay away from shuttles.

We are not rich just want to stay safe. Could careless to see any attractions in N.Y. is zero degree weather. Will do that trip in the summer. If ever.

Would love to hear your suggestions. We are flying into N.J. airport. I have till 2015 . I keep reading all your responses.

Thank you for all your help. Have a Merry Christmas. Wish I had a planned vacation but have to wait till after Christmas to go to Vegas. Then finish our

plans for the cruise in 2015.

Hi Everyone, Just got back on Monday from the Explorer. THANKS for all the help in planning!

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Staten Island. I think it was 143.00 They offer a shuttle airport to hotel, hotel to cruise port. When I called to book the shuttle, at first they said the hotel shuttle stops at 11. ( our flight came in at 11) and there was no room on the cruiseport shuttle until 2:30. I spoke with the manager (Katie) and she scheduled an extra person for our shuttle. We left the hotel at 10:30 AM. No problems.

The hotel is nice. The restaurant was closed when we got there. They do offer night club style dancing which is terribly loud in the lobby.

They did offer a breakfast buffet for $14. They do have a little convenience store for granola bars, sandwiches, lean cuisine meals.

For the return trip we took the shuttle at $16.oo pp. They told us for 5 of us a mini van taxi would be $75 plus tolls.

Again, thanks for all of the info, I might still be in Bayonne, without your help!

Deb

Is there any reason to book Hampton Inn over Hilton since they use the same shuttle. I'm going out of Cape Liberty on EOS in September, 2015 and want to get my ducks in a row. Thanks to all who can answer this.

Hampton Inn/Staten Island - part 2

Katie flew in to EWR today and the Hampton Inn shuttle worked perfectly for her... Picked up luggage, AirTrain to P4, Shuttle was waiting. So... we paid $49, plus $20 tolls, plus tip and she paid nothing plus $10 tip!

We took the Staten Island Ferry to Lower Manhattan today. We didn't request the shuttle in time, so we paid for a taxi, $19/$15 each way. It's about 30 minute ride to Ferry, about 20/30 minutes to cross, and 20 minute walk to WTC Memorial. I'll be honest, it was a bit of a hassle (mostly the cab ride) it was hot and we're tired. When DD got here she wanted to take the ferry too, so DH took the trip twice:eek:!

Tomorrow morning the Hampton Inn shuttle picks us up at 9:30 to head to the port. Bonus: There are quite a few Celebrity cruisers and Cruise Critic members at the hotel - lovely folks all!

Thank you all for your help on this board:)! Susan

Every time I've priced these hotels the Hampton Inn has been less expensive and it offers free breakfast. The only restaurant within walking distance is in the Hilton Gardens. The location of these hotels is very nice ( particularly compared to the hotel areas at Newark Airport), but you are isolated in the middle of a wooded corporate park with nothing close by.

Another potential problem could be an evening flight that arrives late. Someone posted that they had to pay for a cab to the hotel when their fight arrived very late. These hotels seem to run their shuttle on a scheduled basis as opposed to the airport hotels which have their shuttles circling the airport at least every half hour.

I have no idea what to do here. I am also freaking out about going to N.J.

to leave on a cruise. The weather in Jan. from Detroit to N.J. This will probably be our last cruise we ever leave out of N.J. Prefer to leave out of sunny FLa.

We want a hotel that isn't a dump , safe, and if we have to pay $200. a night

so be it. And we need transportation to the hotel and pier. Then back to the

airport. And prefer to have a restaurant in the hotel. Ok, what would you suggest?

We prefer to keep the transportation prices low. And stay away from shuttles.

We are not rich just want to stay safe. Could careless to see any attractions in N.Y. is zero degree weather. Will do that trip in the summer. If ever.

Would love to hear your suggestions. We are flying into N.J. airport. I have till 2015 . I keep reading all your responses.

Thank you for all your help. Have a Merry Christmas. Wish I had a planned vacation but have to wait till after Christmas to go to Vegas. Then finish our

plans for the cruise in 2015.

try the hilton newark penn station. check it out here:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-jersey/hilton-newark-penn-station-EWRHGHF/index.html

Thanks for the info. I want to be sure I have the correct hotels--both on South Avenue (1100 and 1120). The Hampton is $179 and the Hilton is $149. There was an "alert" on the Hampton website advising to "book early--rooms running out." I made a reservation for both and will cancel one of them as soon as I know I have the correct places. I wonder why the Hilton is so much less. Our flight will not arrive late unless something happens.

Every time I've priced these hotels the Hampton Inn has been less expensive and it offers free breakfast. The only restaurant within walking distance is in the Hilton Gardens. The location of these hotels is very nice ( particularly compared to the hotel areas at Newark Airport), but you are isolated in the middle of a wooded corporate park with nothing close by.

Another potential problem could be an evening flight that arrives late. Someone posted that they had to pay for a cab to the hotel when their fight arrived very late. These hotels seem to run their shuttle on a scheduled basis as opposed to the airport hotels which have their shuttles circling the airport at least every half hour.

Edited by parrotfeathers