CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

I know that $12/pp seems a lot, but it still competitive for that particular trip. Time is money and even though it is only 10 miles from the port to the airport, there can be a lot of wait time for the drivers to get in and out of the port. The shuttles back to the airport are $16/pp to the airport and $17/pp to the hotels.

Wolfcathorse - keep checking out your roll call. I was faced with this cost issue several years ago from a park/sleep at the Fairfield. I'm a solo traveler and i didn't want to pay the going rate for a private car. I talked it up on the roll call and got a group of seven together to go to and from the port. I met a bunch of people and we had a lot of fun. This is what cruisers do. It's the first and last excursion of the cruise. I'm doing a TA to Galveston in a few weeks and one of the first things I did was sign up for a shared shuttle from the port to Houston airport.

Stan - was this the big wedding? How did it go?

Edited by 138east

I know that $12/pp seems a lot, but it still competitive for that particular trip. Time is money and even though it is only 10 miles from the port to the airport, there can be a lot of wait time for the drivers to get in and out of the port. The shuttles back to the airport are $16/pp to the airport and $17/pp to the hotels.

Wolfcathorse - keep checking out your roll call. I was faced with this cost issue several years ago from a park/sleep at the Fairfield. I'm a solo traveler and i didn't want to pay the going rate for a private car. I talked it up on the roll call and got a group of seven together to go to and from the port. I met a bunch of people and we had a lot of fun. This is what cruisers do. It's the first and last excursion of the cruise. I'm doing a TA to Galveston in a few weeks and one of the first things I did was sign up for a shared shuttle from the port to Houston airport.

Stan - was this the big wedding? How did it go?

Carol, thanx for asking.

"Big Wedding" went very well! We had shirts printed up that said "Royal Wedding". My biggest complaint about this cruise is that after being assured by wedding coordinator, another woman named Sandy, (who was onboard staff that we met with 2 months prior to cruise, onboard) 5 different travel agents, (we've all done this SOOO many times)...... that our dinner seating arrangements were scattered around several decks in the main dining room! Maitre d' wasn't much help. We ended up at 3 tables, still scattered but on the same deck. He kept telling me, there would be no problem at late seating. I kept telling him, Bride and groom want early seating. We ALL had confirmed Early seating! 20 of us. We were told to contact cruise line no more than two weeks out to verify, which we did, and we still ended up scattered.

Other than that, most things went well and first time cruisers had a great time! (Well, some had some seasickness, but it didn't ruin their trip.)

Carol, thanx for asking.

"Big Wedding" went very well! We had shirts printed up that said "Royal Wedding". My biggest complaint about this cruise is that after being assured by wedding coordinator, another woman named Sandy, (who was onboard staff that we met with 2 months prior to cruise, onboard) 5 different travel agents, (we've all done this SOOO many times)...... that our dinner seating arrangements were scattered around several decks in the main dining room! Maitre d' wasn't much help. We ended up at 3 tables, still scattered but on the same deck. He kept telling me, there would be no problem at late seating. I kept telling him, Bride and groom want early seating. We ALL had confirmed Early seating! 20 of us. We were told to contact cruise line no more than two weeks out to verify, which we did, and we still ended up scattered.

Other than that, most things went well and first time cruisers had a great time! (Well, some had some seasickness, but it didn't ruin their trip.)

Oh, and you're right about the time it takes for Independent Driver to drive around that area, as well as waiting in traffic, construction, etc. All drivers, not just ID......We held them up for some time with a luggage problem as well as Royal's free for all leaving the ship.

We used Black Car this past August from the Residence Inn in Elizabeth to Cape Liberty, and it was $65, plus tip, for the two of us.

How long was the car ride from the Residence Inn to the port?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

How long was the car ride from the Residence Inn to the port?

This past April it took 45 minutes because of unusually bad traffic. This past August it took less than 30 minutes.

I have nothing but good things to say about the service. However, communicating with them via phone can be challenging. For some reason the connection is poor and the background noise level is high so that it makes it especially difficult to understand. However, I'd gladly use them the next time.

I'm back, going on Explorer of the Seas again next June 5th. I used a lot of your info and help back in Oct 2010. We stayed a the Country Inns and Suites in Elizabeth and were booked for Halloween right after hurricane Sandy had left her mark there. It turned out ok except for our delayed flights and this hotel was very accomodating to us and to a lot of local residents who were without power.

I am wondering if you guys see it there on the bidding page on Hotwxxx.com? I forget what amenities to look for, etc. I did see on their website a rate of $110 for gov't employees.

Or is there another hotel now that's a better, economical choice? We need it for Jun 3-5. I live in Co so we won't be driving....

Susan

I'm back, going on Explorer of the Seas again next June 5th. I used a lot of your info and help back in Oct 2010. We stayed a the Country Inns and Suites in Elizabeth and were booked for Halloween right after hurricane Sandy had left her mark there. It turned out ok except for our delayed flights and this hotel was very accomodating to us and to a lot of local residents who were without power.

I am wondering if you guys see it there on the bidding page on Hotwxxx.com? I forget what amenities to look for, etc. I did see on their website a rate of $110 for gov't employees.

Or is there another hotel now that's a better, economical choice? We need it for Jun 3-5. I live in Co so we won't be driving....

Susan

Are you sightseeing in NYC? I am probably going to try the Robert Treat in downtown Newark in January. I'm flying in from Oregon the night before and if I stay in downtown Newark, the hotel shuttle will take me to Newark Penn Station so I can take Path and the light rail to Cape Liberty instead of springing for a $50 cab ride. From Newark Penn Station you can also go on the train to New York Penn Station for $5 or to the World Trade Center by Path for $2.50. I've had my eye on this hotel for several years and now I have a chance to try it out to see if it would work for cruisers, particularly those who want better access to NYC without spending a fortune to stay at the Newark Penn Station Hilton. For my dates I'm seeing a price of $80+ tax prepaid and the recent reviews are excellent.

Are you sightseeing in NYC? I am probably going to try the Robert Treat in downtown Newark in January. I'm flying in from Oregon the night before and if I stay in downtown Newark, the hotel shuttle will take me to Newark Penn Station so I can take Path and the light rail to Cape Liberty instead of springing for a $50 cab ride. From Newark Penn Station you can also go on the train to New York Penn Station for $5 or to the World Trade Center by Path for $2.50. I've had my eye on this hotel for several years and now I have a chance to try it out to see if it would work for cruisers, particularly those who want better access to NYC without spending a fortune to stay at the Newark Penn Station Hilton. For my dates I'm seeing a price of $80+ tax prepaid and the recent reviews are excellent.

We want to go see Fort Hamilton museum and go to Fort Wadsworth. Did the NYC stuff last time. Thinking about renting a car...or is there easy public transportation?

Also if we rent a car, where is a rental agency near the ship dock, or one that will transport us when we drop off the car?

I'm curious to hear your impressions of the Robert Treat. And any other cruiser friendly ones.

Susan

Enterprise in Bayonne is the only car rental I know of that will drop you off at the pier, but you have to get to Enterprise so you will pay a taxi fare anyway to do that. The airport may be more price competitive and generally more convenient. Are you thinking of doing this on the precruise morning?

One fort is on one side of the Verrazano and the other fort is on the other side, so public transit is going to be challenging. If you do drive, plan your route so as to minimize the hefty tolls. You pay $13 going from NY to NJ. I think the round trip Verrazano Bridge toll is $15 and it is all collected going from Brooklyn to Staten Island. So if you go from NJ to Staten Island via the Goethals Bridge or the Bayonne Bridge, you pay $13. If you cross the Verrazano to Brooklyn there is no toll. You can then take the Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan for no toll and the Holland Tunnel back to NJ for no toll. However, if you go in the reverse direction, you will pay $28 in tolls.

We are thinking of arriving at EWR around 3pm Jun3rd. Will do sightseeing on June 4th and ship sails on June 5th (Explorer).

I was wondering if the airport rentals are price competitive. Some cities the airport rentals are more expensive. Biggest concern, I guess, will be dropping off the car and getting to the ship on June 5th around noon (it sails @ 4pm).

Susan

Well, I'd definitely call Enterprise in Bayonne to see what they can do for you. It would be a quick trip across the Bayonne Bridge to Staten Island to Fort Wadsworth, the bridge to Brooklyn would be free, and you could drive from Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn back through the Holland tunnel to New Jersey.

Hotels are another issue. I'm not seeing much of anything under $150 for your dates. It's really a bit too soon. We haven't really been using Hotwire too much because it is difficult to identify the hotel. Country Inns does not seem to appear there any more.

Well, I'd definitely call Enterprise in Bayonne to see what they can do for you. It would be a quick trip across the Bayonne Bridge to Staten Island to Fort Wadsworth, the bridge to Brooklyn would be free, and you could drive from Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn back through the Holland tunnel to New Jersey.

Hotels are another issue. I'm not seeing much of anything under $150 for your dates. It's really a bit too soon. We haven't really been using Hotwire too much because it is difficult to identify the hotel. Country Inns does not seem to appear there any more.

So when do you think is the best time to look for a room? I wonder if we can get Enterprise at the airport and turn it in at their Bayonne office?

Susan

Edited by englander

What kind of hotel budget do you have? My advice would be to book a cancellable room now and start looking for less expensive options after the new year. A rate of $110 for Country Inns is very good and you may not be able to do much better than that. IMO the Glimcher Realty Way hotels have the best location at the airport because of the ease of access, the restaurants, and the mall.

If you stay at the airport, do you really need a car for two days? All the airport hotels have shuttles. You arrive at 3 so it will be at least 5 pm before you can get a car and get checked into your hotel and then where are you going to go?

If you rent a car the following morning at the airport, you can use it for a day and arrange for a car service to pick you up at the rental place when you return it the following morning before the cruise. That way you pay for only a one day rental and port transportation, which should be about the same as a two day rental. I don't know if you have driven in the area before, but it can be very confusing and stressful. I'd keep it as simple as possible which means no wandering around Bayonne to return a car just to get a "free" ride to the port.

We want to go see Fort Hamilton museum and go to Fort Wadsworth. Did the NYC stuff last time. Thinking about renting a car...or is there easy public transportation?

Also if we rent a car, where is a rental agency near the ship dock, or one that will transport us when we drop off the car?

I'm curious to hear your impressions of the Robert Treat. And any other cruiser friendly ones.

Susan

Suggestion:

Don't rent a car at Newark airport. Their rates are definitely higher. If you stay at the Trent, you can get to Bayonne using the PATH from Penn Station Newark -- take the PATH train going to World Trade - get off at the Exchange Place stop - walk to the corner (very short walk across a plaza) and get the light rail train to Bayonne, 34th St. stop.

a) If going directly to the ship, Phone one of the Bayonne taxi co. when you are getting on the light rail and ask them to pick you up at the 34th St. station (lower lot). The taxi will be about $8 to the cruise ship terminal.

b) If you are renting a car in Bayonne, ask if they will pick you up at the Exchange Place PATH station plaza. If not, have them pick you up at the 34th St. light rail station in Bayonne. Return your car the next morning in Bayonne and have them take you to the ship.

c) For seeing sites on Station Island, take the Bayonne bridge from Bayonne to Station Island. Consider visiting historic Richmond town on Station Island also and taking a r/t ride on the free Station ferry (park car at ferry terminal) to lower Manhattan. You might consider spending your second night at one of the Staten Island hotels....easier to get back to Bayonne for returning car. Driving in the Newark area can be very confusing and frustrating even with excellent directions.

Susan

Adding getting to Brooklyn:

a) From Newark Penn Station - PATH to World Trade (last stop) - subway to Brooklyn (check for best routing). You may have to use a car service or phone a cab for the last leg. There are buses, but you will be wasting too much time.

b) From the Staten Island ferry, lower Manhatten terminal - walk to subway

c) I do not recommend driving to Manhattan or Brooklyn. Consider total cost: rental; tolls (expensive); parking; gas -- and -- traffic!!!

d) The Brooklyn Museum is wonderful and the subway stops there. The Botanical Gardens are next to it.

Edited by travelite

• 2 weeks later...

HI all,

I booked a room at the Hilton Garden because of the shuttle to the cruise port. I called 1 month prior to departure and the earliest I could get was 2:30. The cruise Docs say arrive by 2:30. a lesson learned. DO NOT BOOK A NONREFUNDABLE ROOM until you have a shuttle reservation.

Now I am going through previous posts and looking up alternative transportation.

Live and learn!

So, I started looking and got very frustrated and called the hotel and spoke with the manager. I explained the situation and she is actually bringing in an extra shuttle to take us to the port at 11:30! There are 9 of us!

YAY!!

I am still confused, even after reading tons of threads. So I am asking the experts. I need detailed information on the easiest way to get into and see NYC. Our group of 4 adults will be driving in two days before Dec. 12th EOS cruise planning on sightseeing NYC on the 11th. This is our first time to NY. Our hotel reservation is at the Country Inn 100 Glimcher Realty Way, Elizabeth NJ. I understand that is not the best hotel to stay at for travel into NY but that is what we have to work with. I read a thread suggesting; get on the NJ turnpike which is near our hotel then get off at exit 15. Stating there is a giant train station surrounded by parking. Welllll, when I looked at Map quest I saw three exit 15 and no public transportation. I was already lost. We like the idea of driving ourselves to transportation even if parking is 25.00 per day knowing we have a reliable way back to our hotel, not waiting on the hotel shuttle or a taxi. We are not set on any must see but thought the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center would be great. Perhaps go to the top of the rock then visit time square. The statue of liberty would take too much of our time and we have crossed that off of our list. Personally I love shopping and would like spending some time in Macy’s but my guys frown on that thought. Please help me out and be detailed as much as possible. Suggestions are more than welcome.

I am still confused, even after reading tons of threads. So I am asking the experts. I need detailed information on the easiest way to get into and see NYC. Our group of 4 adults will be driving in two days before Dec. 12th EOS cruise planning on sightseeing NYC on the 11th. This is our first time to NY. Our hotel reservation is at the Country Inn 100 Glimcher Realty Way, Elizabeth NJ. I understand that is not the best hotel to stay at for travel into NY but that is what we have to work with. I read a thread suggesting; get on the NJ turnpike which is near our hotel then get off at exit 15. Stating there is a giant train station surrounded by parking. Welllll, when I looked at Map quest I saw three exit 15 and no public transportation. I was already lost. We like the idea of driving ourselves to transportation even if parking is 25.00 per day knowing we have a reliable way back to our hotel, not waiting on the hotel shuttle or a taxi. We are not set on any must see but thought the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center would be great. Perhaps go to the top of the rock then visit time square. The statue of liberty would take too much of our time and we have crossed that off of our list. Personally I love shopping and would like spending some time in Macy’s but my guys frown on that thought. Please help me out and be detailed as much as possible. Suggestions are more than welcome.

From your hotel you need to drive north on the turnpike, take the eastern spur (follow the signs directing you toward the Lincoln Tunnel) and get off at exit 15X (not 15 or 15E or 15W...you need 15X). 15X is the exit for the Secaucus Junction train station (it is the exit immediately before the Lincoln Tunnel exit, 16E). Take any NJ Transit headed into NY City...it's only one stop to NY Penn Station (which by the way is virtually across the street from Macy's.) Times Square is about a half mile north of Penn Station, Rockefeller Center is about a mile walk from Penn Station or about a half mile walk from Times Square.

Edited by njhorseman

From your hotel you need to drive north on the turnpike, take the eastern spur (follow the signs directing you toward the Lincoln Tunnel) and get off at exit 15X (not 15 or 15E or 15W...you need 15X). 15X is the exit for the Secaucus Junction train station (it is the exit immediately before the Lincoln Tunnel exit, 16E). Take any NJ Transit headed into NY City...it's only one stop to NY Penn Station (which by the way is virtually across the street from Macy's.) Times Square is about a half mile north of Penn Station, Rockefeller Center is about a mile walk from Penn Station or about a half mile walk from Times Square.

Wow, thank you so much, that makes much more sense and developing into a perfect plan. I will have to practice my surprised face and use it at the appropriate time to say: “OMG look there’s Macys, let go see”. Thank you, thank you, and thank you!