Elderly couple disappears during cruise

derf5585

The articals I read never mentioned a note of any kind. Everyone is right...we will never know what happened and my hubby and I thought the same thing...maybe they did get a bad doctors report and then decided this was best. I feel awful for the kids, after we heard about it all I thought of was my teenage daughters having to find me or try to find me at sea. What a mess :(

It's in my morning paper today. It said the relatives didn't believe it was a suicide and they didn't seem to have any personal problems.

Cookie, I'm from the Cape, did you read it in the Boston Globe?

I wish there was an actual official story somewhere. I just read it in the Chicago Tribune and this article said there were no apparent signs of suicide. It mentioned a purse and some sandals, and that was it.

So which was it? Note or no note? And this account from "Events at Sea".... this passenger says that "two passengers jumped". Really? Did this passenger actually see it happen? Because if so, then there wouldn't be all this mystery, would there?

Either way, it's very sad for the family. :(

A few more details for you.

-- Sorry, the link I had is no longer valid! Perhaps the information could not be corroborated.

I did note that the USA Today didn't feel it inappropriate to describe the passengers as an elderly vietnamese-american couple. :)

I have to agree that most times when a suicide occurs the family members and friends are oftened "surprised". Most people who actually kill themselves do not give an indication about it beforehand that is clear. According to studies that I have knowledge of, people who talk about it or give an idication that that they are contemplating suicide are reaching out for help and that the majority of people who do something "quickly" have not exposed their thoughts in advance.

I absolutely HATE to see these reports. The family is certainly in a very grief stricken place.

I also find myself reading the threads and looking for the news reports. There is always quite a bit of conflicting info out there.

I personally find it very hard to think that this could have been something other than a suicide at this point. I would think that if there was "foul play" that kind of info would be evident somewhere.

I do not see how you could "fall" off of one of these ships without putting yourself in the position to do so. The railings are high. Even a tall person would have to climb up to get into a position to go overboard.

I have been on the Destiny and while I loved the day in Aruba I don't think it would bother me in the least if the port of call was lost due to this.

When you cruise you run the risk of missing a port for a whole host of reasons. I can cite 3 ships that had itinerary changes last month the week that I sailed all due to various reasons. To me, it just goes with the with cruising. I love to cruise and would be happy with just days at sea!

I would love to know more info but mostly I feel for the family right now.

South Americans

Central Americans

North Americans?

People always bring this up, and I am pretty sure that nobody but those live that live in the United States refer to themselves as "American". A Canadian will refer to himself as "Canadian", not "North American". A Mexican will not refer to himself as "North American". Would Brazilians, Argentinians, Bolivians, El Salvadorians, and Belizans travel to Europe and tell people that they are "South Americans" or "Central Americans"? I think most of them would identify themselves with their country, not their continent.

That said, I am glad that some sources like the Chicago Tribune referred to the couple as simply "American", and sad to see that others like USA Today have to call them "Vietnamese American". As if it made any difference. The sad thing is that two people are likely dead, and nobody knows the real story.

That said, I am glad that some sources like the Chicago Tribune referred to the couple as simply "American", and sad to see that others like USA Today have to call them "Vietnamese American". As if it made any difference. The sad thing is that two people are likely dead, and nobody knows the real story.

Exactly..thank you.

What should they have said?

Derf, this was intended to just be a good natured rub against Blackwing, who on another thread about this incident took issue with the couple being identified by nationality, that's all. Sorry it came across in such a bizarre way. I can see it was out of place on this thread. My bad...

It is very sad for the family.

OK you convinced me that they should have been called Americans. Or maybe Humans?

Something like this always makes people wonder: is it suicide, foul play or an accident. One never always knows the inner workings of a human being's mind, even family members often times do not know. I happened to check out "The Events at Sea" page just last night, and did not realize the number of people (including crew members) who do end up either missing and assumed overboard or were seen falling from the ship. I guess when you think of the number of people who travel on a ship every year, the number is not that great. But it still is kind of shocking to me.

Just think of how many people end up drunk at night and the total percentage of balcony cabins on a ship. It turns out to be a bad combination to keep people onboard. At least on the Caribbean Princess, if I were to fall over my railing, the two decks below me have balconies that jut out further than mine.

My parents were on this cruise and they mentioned to me yesterday about the incident.

Starting around 3am Friday morning, there were public address messages for the couple to please call the purser's desk. After no reply, a cabin-to-cabin search was made for the couple. The couples photo was displayed in hopes of passengers having seen them.

The ship did turn around and retrace its course in hopes of locating the couple.

Lisa

The ship did turn around and retrace its course in hopes of locating the couple.

Lisa

Man Overboard Procedures

from

http://powerboat.about.com/cs/safety/a/Safemanovbord2.htm

Although extremely rare, a man overboard situation is still a real possibilit

from

http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/mspa_news/news_e.asp?id=97

As much as I do not want to stir up a controversy, the family will not want the word suicide to be attached here until it is proved one way or another.....insurance does not pay off for suicide. I am sure the family would need the insurance to bury the couple when found, so I prefer to say accident until proven otherwise.

On a recent cruise we had an elderly couple (92 & 91) who stopped at the bar on the way to dinner and were late every night because of it. Of course, they were newlyweds......

I really hope that I do not get flamed for this, but I do have an innocent question.

If you jump, from say deck 9 or 10, would you die instantly when you hit the water? I realize that it is still high up, but you are landing in water, not concrete. Just wondering, not planning.

I really hope that I do not get flamed for this, but I do have an innocent question.

If you jump, from say deck 9 or 10, would you die instantly when you hit the water? I realize that it is still high up, but you are landing in water, not concrete. Just wondering, not planning.

I think the propellers would getcha.:(

Archived