Elderly couple disappears during cruise

derf5585

I am sad that they disappeared but I think I would be a little upset that they skipped Aruba because of it. after all that would be the only reason I went on the cruise as far as ports go.

Same here.

Has anyone thought that they could have been "blown over" board? Hubby and I were on Grand Princess last February, it was so gosh darn windy, that they roped off the back of the ship due to high winds for our safety. . . . Not always are these things suicide,

You are right.........maybe their kids did them in for thier inheritance :eek:

Originally Posted by zonemasconi

I am sad that they disappeared but I think I would be a little upset that they skipped Aruba because of it. after all that would be the only reason I went on the cruise as far as ports go.

Same here.

Hmmmm, maybe you could sue their family or their estate to refund your port charges.........

OK..........What the Heck is a CLIMP ??

CLImb and juMP? ;)

Read something in our local paper, 2 people disppeared from the Destiny. They found their sandles on a deck but no passangers.

Trying to find the paper -- does anyone know about this.

I have been on the Celebrity Boards, since that will be our next cruise -- but I have to admit -- the Carnival boards are better.

Anyway -- what do you know ??

Here's the article from the Chicago Sun-Times

Ok

somebody set this straight for me......

How many people have gone over booard, on how many Carnival ships in how many months ?

how does this stand up to RCL, Disney, Princess etc.....

I was about to book my next Carnival cruise with another coupple, now they think I am nuts...

Lisa

Ok

somebody set this straight for me......

How many people have gone over booard' date=' on how many Carnival ships in how many months ?

how does this stand up to RCL, Disney, Princess etc.....

I was about to book my next Carnival cruise with another coupple, now they think I am nuts...

Lisa[/quote']

I Don't know but it's enough to make you wonder ??

An awful lot of People have gone missing in the middle of the night.........

List them under....."Things That Go Splash In The Night"

* From the not missing but mislaid department: Monday CND ran an article about a Fascination passenger who reported that her cabinmate wasn't in her cabin when she woke up. After searching the ship it turned out he was missing, and the Coast Guard was called in to search the path the ship had sailed since he was last seen. One cruise executive dropped us a line to let us know that these days more often than not when a cabinmate is reported "missing" and not in the cabin in the morning, it turns out that the person somehow managed to be sleeping in the wrong cabin, and is amazed that the person in bed with them isn't their original cabinmate. I guess one bed was too hard, and they checked another one that was too soft and they kept going until they found one that was j-u-s-t right.

I Don't know but it's enough to make you wonder ??

List them under....."Things That Go Splash In The Night"

Is that before or after things go bump in the night?

We were also on the Destiny last week when this tragic event took place. In addition to the announcements made on the ship around 3am (several throughout the hallways initially and then inside the rooms) the room stewards came into the rooms with a picture while searching for the couple. The entire ship was searched to no avail. The crusie director made the announcement around breakfast time that we were required to return to the point where they were last seen (at 8pm) and join the United States and Venuzalean Coast Guards in the search. We arrived at that point around 11:00 am. We were released from the search at about 1pm and CCL substituted St Martin since there would not be enough time for a visit to Aruba. Our room steward told me that there were shoes/sandals and a purse found on deck 3 and that area was taped off with security tape.

Their belongings were found on Deck 3 ?....if it was suicide why would they jump overboard on deck 3???....doesn't make sense to me :confused:

I'm confused about one thing I read in the article. It mentions that some belongings were found on the 3rd deck of the ship. Which exactly is the 3rd deck? Do you start counting from the lowest passenger deck or the lowest crew deck. If from passenger decks, it would be the Lobby Deck. But, if from the lowest crew deck, the 3rd deck may not even be a passenger deck, or it could be the Riviera or Main deck. Does anyone remember what the deck was called where you board the ship while in port? Was that deck 2? I sailed the Destiny last Oct. and can't seem to remember.

Another thing, if they were thought to have gone overboard whereabouts the belonings were found, it would have had to have been Lobby deck, as there is a open promenade on that deck. Otherwise there is no way to get outside from a lower deck.

Christine

On the Destiny, deck 3 is the lowest public deck where you can still walk outisde along a rail. This is the floor that has the shore excursion and information/pursers office so I believe it may also be called the lobby deck. Rather than try to count from the lowest passenger or crew deck - just go into the elevator and push 3 - that would be the one. That is also the deck weher you eneter the main dining rooms. I believe these passengers had a room on the Lido deck (9) but can't remember from the announcement if it was an outside cabin or not.

Just a few thoughts...

I don't understand how someone could question the fact that CCL looked for the couple instead on going on their merry way to Aruba. If you or someone in your family were missing, wouldn't you want them to look for you? Or would it be OK in your mind to carry on as if you didn't matter?

Here I go getting on my soapbox about people who let their children have the run of the ship. This is a prime example of the possibilities that exists out there in the middle of the ocean. I'm sure there are those who will continue to justify the freedom they allow their children aboard a ship but this just convinces me even more that it's just not a very wise move. Afterall, we don't know what really happened to that couple.

Just my opinion!

Their belongings were found on Deck 3 ?....if it was suicide why would they jump overboard on deck 3???....doesn't make sense to me :confused:

I didn't know there was a specific deck for suicides. How does the deck number make the scenario different? Just a question.

No one knows if it was suicide, foul play, or something else. The same question could be asked for foul play. Deck 3 is usually the lobby deck. There tends to be a lot of people on this deck so how could someone throw them off without being seen?? Sounds just as crazy right??? The fact is no one knows what happened. Everything is speculation. But the same thing that everyone thought was impossible could be the one story that is the truth. One never knows.

I too am adding my comment about those who are upset that they missed Aruba as a port because two passengers went missing. Sorry - but ports are missed for lesser reasons - the lives of two passengers is a totally acceptable reason to miss a port. Just think if it were your relatives... have some compassion.

We were with NIKKI, et al, last week on the Destiny. If I remember correctly, the couple DID have an outsdie cabin (wasn't it 9150/60 or so?) up fairly high.

It is REALLY hard to separate the rumors/speculation from facts. I thought the folks at Carnival did a GREAT job dealing with the details of the seach/new port/etc--except that he didn't get much info about what actually happend/how we might have helped out--(it wasn't until we got back HOME that I knew there might have been some belongings left behind....)

I DID think that the passengers could have been given more information a bit earlier so that we might have provided assistance. For example, something like an "AMBER" alert. If one fell, the other tried to help, I'd expect someone to scream and yell--did anyone on the balconies hear anything (many folks sleep with the door propped open)? I don't think that question was ever asked? Did anyone see anything on Deck 3? See anyone WITH them on Deck 3? Again, I wasn't asked... (didn't know anything, anyway, but I think you get my drift here).

I don't want to pull a 'Mrs. Lincoln' joke here, but it WAS an otherwise great cruise for us--I didn't think Carnival had much choice about returning to the search area, did their best to accommodate us. (I do think it is was bit bizarre to be on the lobby deck and watch the passengers trying to get a petition together for Carnival to refund ALL the money to ALL the passengers since we would miss ONE port--which they ended up replacing!)

As much as I do not want to stir up a controversy, the family will not want the word suicide to be attached here until it is proved one way or another.....insurance does not pay off for suicide. I am sure the family would need the insurance to bury the couple when found, so I prefer to say accident until proven otherwise.

This is a misconception about insurance. Our policies cleary state that if you commit suicide within the first 2 years of the policy that your premiums will be paid out and that is it. After the 2 years, it appears to be covered in the policy (john hancock policy).

To all those unhappy about missing a port, live with it. That is what you get when you go cruising. I have friends that did a southern Caribbean cruise this year and they didn't get to go to Caracao and Aruba because of high winds. Yes I know that this is unpreventable and the current subject on this thread is. Just think if it were one or your relatives, you would want the ship to turn around. If you don't want to take the chance of missing a particular port then fly.

We missed Princess Cays, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten last year due to Hurricane Jeanne. We were rerouted west to Cozumel, Ocho Rios, and Nassau. Well we ended up missing Nassau as well. WE LOVED THE CRUISE. THE SHIP IS THE FUN PART.

MARATIME LAW is that you MUST help in an SOS or man overboard unless it is an organized event and there are rules governing man overboard and accidents. In sailboat racing you can get disqualified if you don't help in a man overboard even if you eventually lose lots of time doing so. The team losing the person must also turn around and help as well.

I too am adding my comment about those who are upset that they missed Aruba as a port because two passengers went missing. Sorry - but ports are missed for lesser reasons - the lives of two passengers is a totally acceptable reason to miss a port. Just think if it were your relatives... have some compassion.

DITTO!!

Archived