Elderly couple disappears during cruise

derf5585

Maybe someone knows this for sure...but I believe there is a Maritime law which requires the ship to stop and search....at least I certainly hope so.

I think you're correct. I do know that all ships in the area of a called SOS must respond. At the very least it would look really, really bad if CCL went on as scheduled- sort of like saying "oh well..."

Derf, I am a little surprised that you didn't post website address on Maritime Laws touching on this subject.

To hell you go ----->

In a handbasket,

“Can you please tell me anything about the origin of the phrase going to hell in a handbasket?”

from

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-goi1.htm

This phrase, meaning "to deteriorate rapidly", originated in the

U.S. in the early 20th century

from

http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxgotohe.html

I think you're correct. I do know that all ships in the area of a called SOS must respond. At the very least it would look really, really bad if CCL went on as scheduled- sort of like saying "oh well..."

Derf, I am a little surprised that you didn't post website address on Maritime Laws touching on this subject.

I was also on the destiny cruise that week and was one of many shocked but I had no problems with them turning the ship around. If it was my guy I sure as heck would want them to turn and search. St Maartin was beautiful and I'll just have to see Aruba on another cruise. This whole thing sounds a little fishy to me.... they were pretty short. I think going overboard was intentional on somebody's part whether theirs or someone elses. The crew was great... and did a great job making up for the missed port (in St Maartin).

Just my opinion

Destiny-05/08/2005 (Barbie)

Cookie, I'm from the Cape, did you read it in the Boston Globe?

No, I read it in the Springfield Republican. It was under "World Briefs." I was really surprised we didn't hear about it on the boards before it hit the papers. I still haven't heard anything on the television news yet.

Has anyone thought that they could have been "blown over" board? Hubby and I were on Grand Princess last February, it was so gosh darn windy, that they roped off the back of the ship due to high winds for our safety. . . . Not always are these things suicide, why does everyone assume the worst?

OK you convinced me that they should have been called Americans. Or maybe Humans?

Since everyone is running to more general terms . . . how about "hominids" :D

About 6 months ago, my cousin and close childhood friend (we were only-child's) committed suicide. I hadn't seen him in years and had no idea of the torment he was going through as a result of his alcoholism. His drinking had cost him the loss of his family (wife and kids), his home, and put him into looking at several years in prison. I'm sure he loved my Aunt very much and caused her incredible pain. He just chose not to continue causing her more pain with his drinking. :(

"He doesn't sleep, he isn't dead, he's just escaped the dark dungeon of life" (author unknown) Keats ? ? ? ?

Has anyone thought that they could have been "blown over" board? Hubby and I were on Grand Princess last February, it was so gosh darn windy, that they roped off the back of the ship due to high winds for our safety. . . . Not always are these things suicide, why does everyone assume the worst?

No ones assuming the worst. No one knows what happened. Everyone usually assumes that there was foul play. Suicide is just another suggestion, just as been "blown overboard" is, even though it's probably way less likely than the other two.

We were also on the Destiny last week when this tragic event took place. In addition to the announcements made on the ship around 3am (several throughout the hallways initially and then inside the rooms) the room stewards came into the rooms with a picture while searching for the couple. The entire ship was searched to no avail. The crusie director made the announcement around breakfast time that we were required to return to the point where they were last seen (at 8pm) and join the United States and Venuzalean Coast Guards in the search. We arrived at that point around 11:00 am. We were released from the search at about 1pm and CCL substituted St Martin since there would not be enough time for a visit to Aruba. Our room steward told me that there were shoes/sandals and a purse found on deck 3 and that area was taped off with security tape.

What should they have said?

Derf ~ there was another thread about this yesterday. I did a search but it's been *poofed*. The OP was complaining that he missed Aruba because of the search for the missing couple. The thread went downhill pretty quickly when someone brought up that the OP had described them as Vietnamese, unnecessarily, which left a bad taste in a few people's mouths. (At the time, it was unclear if they had come from Vietnam to cruise or if they were living in America before the cruise).

I put my 2 cents into that debate, and I do feel it's arguable. However, if we don't want this thread to go the same way as the first, I think we should just keep the debate out of it.

~~~~~

As for the couple ... Here's my take on it. I'm thinking one person wanted to commit suicide, jumped and the spouse jumped over after them in hopes of saving them.

Read something in our local paper, 2 people disppeared from the Destiny. They found their sandles on a deck but no passangers.

Trying to find the paper -- does anyone know about this.

I have been on the Celebrity Boards, since that will be our next cruise -- but I have to admit -- the Carnival boards are better.

Anyway -- what do you know ??

People always bring this up, and I am pretty sure that nobody but those live that live in the United States refer to themselves as "American". A Canadian will refer to himself as "Canadian", not "North American". A Mexican will not refer to himself as "North American". Would Brazilians, Argentinians, Bolivians, El Salvadorians, and Belizans travel to Europe and tell people that they are "South Americans" or "Central Americans"? I think most of them would identify themselves with their country, not their continent.

That said, I am glad that some sources like the Chicago Tribune referred to the couple as simply "American", and sad to see that others like USA Today have to call them "Vietnamese American". As if it made any difference. The sad thing is that two people are likely dead, and nobody knows the real story.

So I guess your against the term "African Americans" ? :confused:

A few months ago here in San Diego, an Elderly person was very sick at a local hospital, Cancer or something and her days were numbered, her elderly husband came into the hospital room where she was, it was an ICU room, and he took out a weapon and took their lives. The pain and Suffering was gone. Not guessing that this was the same but, sometimes Elderly people that dont have much time to live due to a serious illness could do something like this. After 70 years or so of marriage, theres no parting alone or separately, Just my 2cents.

Archived