Elderly couple disappears during cruise

derf5585

I am not defending the people that are griping about missing Aruba because the ship turned around because that is what the ship should do, but, has anybody ever been found(alive or not) when a ship goes to look for them? Just wondering.

* From the not missing but mislaid department: Monday CND ran an article about a Fascination passenger who reported that her cabinmate wasn't in her cabin when she woke up. After searching the ship it turned out he was missing, and the Coast Guard was called in to search the path the ship had sailed since he was last seen. One cruise executive dropped us a line to let us know that these days more often than not when a cabinmate is reported "missing" and not in the cabin in the morning, it turns out that the person somehow managed to be sleeping in the wrong cabin, and is amazed that the person in bed with them isn't their original cabinmate. I guess one bed was too hard, and they checked another one that was too soft and they kept going until they found one that was j-u-s-t right.

I guess "mislaid" was an unintentional pun???? :)

I feel sorry for the children/grandchildren who were thrust into their parent's ultimate act of stupidity and forced into being witnesses to the aftermath. Imagine the utter horror of going on a family vacation and having your parents/grandparents commit suicide.

Terrible.

i'm not sure if this was mentioned previously (i had to stop reading because my eyes were going blurry), and this applies more to the missing woman on the pride case more then this elderly couple case, but did anyone ever think that maybe that missing woman didn't want to be found? that she wasn't kill/didn't died, but just simply didn't want to be found?

i have only gone on one cruise and it was at least 4 years ago so i don't remember the process of getting of the ship... would her getting of the ship unnoticed be possible?

i'm not sure if this was mentioned previously (i had to stop reading because my eyes were going blurry), and this applies more to the missing woman on the pride case more then this elderly couple case, but did anyone ever think that maybe that missing woman didn't want to be found? that she wasn't kill/didn't died, but just simply didn't want to be found?

Yes it is tragic.

May I be the first to welcome you to cruisecritic. How did you choose your screen name.

has anybody ever been found(alive or not) when a ship goes to look for them? Just wondering.

I remember reading recently a guy fell off, they turned around, and got him. I think he was from Europe.

has anybody ever been found(alive or not) when a ship goes to look for them? Just wondering.

There was a female crew member aboard the Norway that fell overboard on or about March 2, 2002. She was in the water for nearly 14 hours before they found her. She's lucky she didn't succumb to hypothermia, exhaustion or become shark poop.

Yes it is tragic.

May I be the first to welcome you to cruisecritic. How did you choose your screen name.

thanks for the welcome :), i'm new to this and i'm trying to figure things out... i want to cruise the destiny in august so i'm looking for input and opinions and info and such. (i posted on the "destiny past, present future" thread too) so any info would help greatly...

my screen name is just my email/sn for aol... i'm not very creative when it comes to those types of things so i just used the one i've been using since what seems like forever... thanks for asking :)

I am not defending the people that are griping about missing Aruba because the ship turned around because that is what the ship should do, but, has anybody ever been found(alive or not) when a ship goes to look for them? Just wondering.

Several years ago, a sailor fell off an aircraft carrier and survived for something like 18 hours in the sea before being found. The sailor had been trained in sea survival. Inflated his pants for makeshift water wings, etc. and just refused to give up.

Also several years ago, a husband on his honeymoon, according to many had a lot to drink, got in a horrible fight with his bride, and either fell or jumped off a Carnival ship. He was miraculously found many many hours later. Didn't remember anything beyond boarding the ship the previous day.

Admittedly, a double suicide on a family vacation has got to be horrendous for the family, but were I to choose suicide, I can't think of a better way than in the loving arms of the sea. Just my humble opinion. :)

Several years ago, a sailor fell off an aircraft carrier and survived for something like 18 hours in the sea before being found. The sailor had been trained in sea survival. Inflated his pants for makeshift water wings, etc. and just refused to give up.

Also several years ago, a husband on his honeymoon, according to many had a lot to drink, got in a horrible fight with his bride, and either fell or jumped off a Carnival ship. He was miraculously found many many hours later. Didn't remember anything beyond boarding the ship the previous day.

Admittedly, a double suicide on a family vacation has got to be horrendous for the family, but were I to choose suicide, I can't think of a better way than in the loving arms of the sea. Just my humble opinion. :)

What are your chances of survival if you fall overboard without being seen?

from

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/moa/docs/sa0398.htm

"People are in the water ... "

from

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/cb/May2001/Sub.html

I was on the Adventure of the Seas May 15-22 sailing out of San Juan and the "story" we heard was the the couple was thrown overboard by their children/grandchildren for the inheritence. After reading this thread and seeing nothing like that it must have been a rumour... which is good because that would have been horrible!!!

I've read most of this thread and though I was not on that cruise, someone I know I had relative (who is a priest in Ireland) and also a friend on that cruise.

Both of these people, who don't know each other relayed the same information.

It seems the couple had pictures taken with their family, went to dinner as if all was fine. They left their valueable belongings (cash, passports, etc) where they would be found with a note and they weren't seen again. They did search the ship, waking everyone at 3 am to see if anyone had seen them. They turned around to search for them until they were released and continued on their cruise.

Unless you climbing on things or someone throws you over, I find it hard to be an accident as all the reports state. The bars on the ship are too high just to fall without something else causing that fall.

I feel bad for the family and everyone else on the ship who had to endure this tragedy, because it did have an effect on everyone on the ship, at least in some little way.

No one wants to believe things like this can and do happen but they do. Sometimes people can't see any other way out of a situation and to them, at the time, this is the best they can do.

Archived