Mykonos. Have U docked or tendered?

jacketwatch

I sure got a huge :D out of that. Thanks!

Cheers, Larry BTW what type of camera do you use, DSLR?

On the camera, I now have a Nikon D3100 that does a great, 14mp file size to allow lots of quality and editing. My pictures in the Greek Isles, Baltics and Norway, taken in 2006-2010, were done with a Nikon D50 or single lens reflex (SLR) camera. I have upgraded to a Nikon D3100 that shoots at a higher pixel level and has a few other improvements. That D3100 camera with the basic Nikon 18-55mm zoom lens would run around $550 in the USA today. Just now, Nikon is coming out with a D3200 with some adding improvements, 24mp for this "consumer-level" of SLR. A good camera, but not at the top-pro, high-cost levels.

Lens are also important. Now have also a Nikon 55-300mm lenses for longer shots and a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle that is great for church and building interiors, etc. This Nikon D3100 camera also has 1080HD video capability that works well with our two grandsons born within 21 and a half months of each other. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options. These cameras can be “complicated”, but I try to avoid those challenges and distractions.

See more details and ideas were previously posted at: Baltics/Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 99,695 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

off topic, but relevant to the Nikon d3100 (or other Nikon DSLR's) consider getting the 50mm 1.8mm lens as well. Much better in low light situations allowing you to take pictures without flash and much lighter and more compact than the standard 18-55mm lens. I use my 50mm more than I use the zooms (I have 18-55 and 55-300 as well).

On the camera, I now have a Nikon D3100 that does a great, 14mp file size to allow lots of quality and editing. My pictures in the Greek Isles, Baltics and Norway, taken in 2006-2010, were done with a Nikon D50 or single lens reflex (SLR) camera. I have upgraded to a Nikon D3100 that shoots at a higher pixel level and has a few other improvements. That D3100 camera with the basic Nikon 18-55mm zoom lens would run around $550 in the USA today. Just now, Nikon is coming out with a D3200 with some adding improvements, 24mp for this "consumer-level" of SLR. A good camera, but not at the top-pro, high-cost levels.

Lens are also important. Now have also a Nikon 55-300mm lenses for longer shots and a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle that is great for church and building interiors, etc. This Nikon D3100 camera also has 1080HD video capability that works well with our two grandsons born within 21 and a half months of each other. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options. These cameras can be “complicated”, but I try to avoid those challenges and distractions.

See more details and ideas were previously posted at: Baltics/Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 99,695 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Cool. I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 which is basically a point and shoot. Hopefully some day i'll upgrade it to something like what you have. Pretty neat. I do think I will need some photo lessons however. Larry :)

BTW as it seems its possible to dock in Mykonos what about Santorini? This is also listed as a tender port but do ships ever dock there?

Cool. I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 which is basically a point and shoot. Hopefully some day i'll upgrade it to something like what you have. Pretty neat. I do think I will need some photo lessons however. Larry :)

BTW as it seems its possible to dock in Mykonos what about Santorini? This is also listed as a tender port but do ships ever dock there?

There are no docks in Santorini for cruise ships. You will tender.

BTW, I took a lumix to the galapagos and got some outstanding pictures...nice cameras.

Thank you. A friend of mine whi IMHO takes great pics and incorporates some of them into his profession recommended the Lumix to me. Last yr. on the Connie we met a couple who also had one and they taught me a thing or two about it. It seems to be an excellent P and S. :)

off topic, but relevant to the Nikon d3100 (or other Nikon DSLR's) consider getting the 50mm 1.8mm lens as well. Much better in low light situations allowing you to take pictures without flash and much lighter and more compact than the standard 18-55mm lens. I use my 50mm more than I use the zooms (I have 18-55 and 55-300 as well).

jacketwatch: Cool. I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 which is basically a point and shoot. Hopefully some day i'll upgrade it to something like what you have. Pretty neat. I do think I will need some photo lessons however. Larry

Appreciate the good and wise comments from ghstudio. YES' date=' before doing our Jan. 2014 Solstice cruise to Australia and NZ, I want to get a lens such as the 50mm 1.8mm. It will work much better in low-light situations, etc.

For jacketwatch, photo lessons will help some, but part of the secret is what works in many, many fields and areas. [b']Practice, practice!!![/b] Here are three other quick tips:

1. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different angles.

2. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element when possible.

3. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the crops, etc. Narrow down to your "best of the best" picture before sharing.

Best for your Mykonos and Greek sailings. Keep those memories alive and well with many pictures.

I spend far less time now composing pictures....and I take multiple shots of most everything. Computer editing is so easy (Lightroom highly recommended)...but you need a picture with all eyes open, etc to work with. One of the most important features of the dslrs like the Nikon is almost no delay when you press the shutter button. That makes a tremendous difference in your results.

The Equinox docked in Mykonos this past June. To be honest I was a little irritated about the $10 per person charge for the shuttle.

They advertised it as unlimited rides but how often do you go back and forth during a 9 hour stop especially with a 20 minute ride each way.

With few alternatives to get in to town you had to take the shuttle to transfer to taxis for tourist sites or the better known beaches.

As the Mykonos stop was near the end of our cruise we decided to have a relaxing beach day. The beach pictured below is not listed in the Mediterranean guide books we had or on the hand out map from the ship but it is clearly visible as you dock.

It is a little harder to get to than it looks as you have to walk for about 15-20 minutes on a narrow but busy road with little space for pedestrians.

If you are alert especially at corners you will be OK. If you are looking for a beach and are fit, the walk is well worth it. There are a couple of restaurants, a convenience store and a lifeguard watching over the sandy and safe beach.

If you feel the need to see more there is a path up the hill behind the beach leading to more restaurants and incredible views.

If you click on my pictures you might see more on my picture site.

These were taken with a Sony point and shoot. I have been admiring Terry's pictures ever since he preceded me by a few months to the Baltic and I am mad at myself for not upgrading my camera before this trip. While my pictures of Santorini are good they do not capture all of the magnificent color and detail I hoped to get.

279-DSC01829-L.jpg

276-DSC01822-L.jpg

We are headed to Mykonos next week on the Equinox. I will definitely report back on the tender/dock issue. As of now, it appears that only one other ship will be in port and not until 7pm. We are arriving at 2pm, so unless something unusual happens, I expect we will dock.

I am not sure why people are so upset about the $10 R/T bus ride. Do people get upset about having to pay their way from Piraeus to Athens or from Kusadasi to Ephesus? There are not too many excursions offered in Mykonos (other than Delos and beaches), so I guess Celebrity uses it as a revenue generator. I would always rather dock than tender. So many things can go wrong with tendering (weather, mechanical, rough seas, etc.) and those of us that DIY are treated like second class citizens with regard to getting off the ship.

The Equinox docked in Mykonos this past June. These were taken with a Sony point and shoot. I have been admiring Terry's pictures ever since he preceded me by a few months to the Baltic and I am mad at myself for not upgrading my camera before this trip. While my pictures of Santorini are good they do not capture all of the magnificent color and detail I hoped to get.

Appreciate your two . . . ship versus the beach . . . pictures from Mykonos. Great shots. Looks like a fun place to hang out. Big ship towering over the beach!! Glad to see your nice comments on my earlier pictures.

Excellent and wise comments by ghstudio on the different cameras and their "speed" in capturing the image in front of us. The old digital camera were slow with their lag times. Like the better technology of today.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 99,950 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

I am not sure why people are so upset about the $10 R/T bus ride. Do people get upset about having to pay their way from Piraeus to Athens or from Kusadasi to Ephesus? There are not too many excursions offered in Mykonos (other than Delos and beaches), so I guess Celebrity uses it as a revenue generator. I would always rather dock than tender. So many things can go wrong with tendering (weather, mechanical, rough seas, etc.) and those of us that DIY are treated like second class citizens with regard to getting off the ship.

I may be the only upset person however at the ports you mentioned there is a choice. I would rather pay $25 per person to a taxi driver or a local tour van to take me to a secluded beach on the other side of the Island then $10 for a bus to town so I can then spend the $25.

I may be the only upset person however at the ports you mentioned there is a choice. I would rather pay $25 per person to a taxi driver or a local tour van to take me to a secluded beach on the other side of the Island then $10 for a bus to town so I can then spend the $25.

You're not the only one who I have seen complaining about this (of course you are entitled to your opinion). I understand what you mean about going to town and then the beach, but I think there are only about 30 taxis on the whole island and I would guess most of them hang around the town.

It appears that on the Equinox leaving Rome on Nov. 5, and arriving in Mykonos on Nov. 13 that no other ships will be in port. Great for sightseeing but most likely will be docked and have to pay the extra dollars. We have been here a number of times but love browsing the shops and sitting with a glass or two of wine overlooking the sea.

Hmmmm that's weird. Last October we just docked. In the fall the weather can be stormy and we took a boat to the nearby island of Delos and some people got seasick! It was a blast with 4-foot-high waves at least, but luckily I don't get seasick. I wonder if you have to tender because of a lot of ships being there at once?

We are headed to Mykonos next week on the Equinox. I will definitely report back on the tender/dock issue. As of now, it appears that only one other ship will be in port and not until 7pm. We are arriving at 2pm, so unless something unusual happens, I expect we will dock.

We were in Mykonos last week (21/8) where Equinox docked. We decided to take the ship's shuttle, purely for convenience, to the Old Town and walk in to wander the alleyways and climb up to the windmills.

Discovered upon our return that there is a bus stop very near the ship which has a twice hourly service for 1.70 euro. But we literally did not see the poorly hand scribbled sign until we were entering the guard's area to get to the ship. Ah well.

We were in Mykonos last week (21/8) where Equinox docked. We decided to take the ship's shuttle, purely for convenience, to the Old Town and walk in to wander the alleyways and climb up to the windmills.

Discovered upon our return that there is a bus stop very near the ship which has a twice hourly service for 1.70 euro. But we literally did not see the poorly hand scribbled sign until we were entering the guard's area to get to the ship. Ah well.

Good to know. Thank you. :)

I am not sure why people are so upset about the $10 R/T bus ride. Do people get upset about having to pay their way from Piraeus to Athens or from Kusadasi to Ephesus?

errr... I'm not sure you are comparing apple to apple, the ride from the dock to the outskirt of the old town take LESS than 1/3 of the time than your examples above... :eek:

And yet, that road NOT even safe to walk... :mad:

251202_10150223804298673_7103793_n.jpg

251704_10150223804188673_3121041_n.jpg

Archived