Prepaid Onboard Packages and Customer Service

canaro99

I'm a 3-Star Mariner with HAL and after the next cruise (75-day Grand Asia & Australia Voyage) I be 4-Star.

HAL offers prepaid discount packages before sailing that must be sent in and paid prior to sailing. So my problems began when I wanted more information on what wines (wine list, please) were being offered for each package, i.e. the Admiral's 24-bottle $918 offering or the $682 Navigator's package.

Is there anyone out there that finds the policy of prepaying for wine packages WITHOUT being able to see any wine lists before purchase and then waiting for your 3 or 4-Star Discount until after you are on board both annoying and poor marketing?

I called HAL and asked what wines were being offered for either the Admiral's or the Navigator's 24-bottle package and I was told I could see that on board. I asked the Customer Service rep if that seemed odd that HAL was asking us to spend either $918 or $682 without knowing what we were buying. I must have been connected to Ms. "You clearly have me mistaken for someone who cares" when she said, "Sorry, that's the way it is." And that I could pay now and get my Mariner's discount later.

I went to HAL's Facebook page and wrote the following:

I don't know who the genius is that put together the marketing of the "Onboard Packages" that came with our cruise papers for the 75-day Grand Asia & Australia Voyage, but they should be sent back to remedial marketing 101.

Case in point: of the wine packages (Admiral's vs Navigator's) I cannot find any listing of the wines to be offered. So, I called HAL and asked where could I see the list. A reasonable request (or so I thought) since I'm thinking of committing $682 or $918 (24 bottle discount price). To my surprise I was told that I had to make my choice now and then I could see the list once on board. How stupid and short-sighted. So now, if I'm inclined to do this, I'll spend less when I would have been willing to spend more.

Then I was bold enough to ask about the 3-Star Mariner discount. Not to be given until after I'm on board. So, HAL wants to charge me for unknown wine now and then apply my 3-Star discount after sailing. What's wrong with this picture?

Small wonder more people are bring their own wine on board and paying the corkage fee. At least I know in advance what I'm drinking.

Reaction from HAL: delete the comment and not even bother to reply.

There's a lot of cruise lines out looking for business and I find this attitude unacceptable. We'll reach 4-Star level on this cruise and while a mere 200+ days is not "big time" it does represent someone who has been a loyal HAL customer.

I'm done ranting. See everyone in three weeks.

John

If you go to the onboard purchases and look at the wine packages, the selection of wines for the Navigation and Admiral packages are there.

the problem I have found is that not all the wines are available all the time on some of the ships. For example on the Prinsendam, some were substituted (for better wines). On the Zuiderdam two simply were not there.

I usually wait until I am onboard and then do it to get my discount now.

HOWEVER, that being said, if they are offering you a 24 bottle discount I would be giving serious consideration. Surely there must be something there that would be drinkable? Once you are onboard you will receive your 25% discount (I do ask and check my onboard account) but it's not hard to get it.

I hear where you are coming from but Seattle doesn't know what the ships will have - the ships might not even know - it depends upon what they get - but they will have some of the selections - take a look at the onboard gifts and then you can decide what's right for you.

Keep in mind - that bringing to the dining room is a corkage fee of $18 so that has a bearing on everything too IMO:)

We are not big wine drinkers -- but one time we did decide to buy the 3 bottle Navigators package -- big mistake.

Once on the ship several of the wines in this package were not available -- thus not much choice.

When the new Mariner program began we always had to fight for our discounts for our pre-booked specialty dinners. Only on our last 2 cruises did they show up automatically on our shipboard account.

HAL treats only some of their loyal passengers nicely -- us -- HAL could care about us the last couple of years.

I know that you said you posted on Facebook and they deleted your posting....maybe you should post something on Twitter.

I had a problem with Delta airlines....same customer no-service....I posted a "Delta has terrible customer service" on twitter and I got a reply right away....AND they worked out an equitable solution within the hour!

Worth a try.

This doesn't have to do with wine, but my husband asked me to preorder a bottle of vodka so that it would be in our cabin when we board. Does this have to be done through a drink package, or can we simply order one bottle? This is our first time on HAL, so not sure of the rules. Thank you.

This doesn't have to do with wine, but my husband asked me to preorder a bottle of vodka so that it would be in our cabin when we board. Does this have to be done through a drink package, or can we simply order one bottle? This is our first time on HAL, so not sure of the rules. Thank you.

You can order one bottle -- go to indulgences under your reservations and pick out the brand you want.

Yes, you can order a single bottle. If you go on the website and look up your cruise, click on purchase, then indulgences and then on beverages. There is a pretty long list of choices. You can order it online and it will be in your cabin upon embarkation. Easy Peasy.

I'm a 3-Star Mariner with HAL and after the next cruise (75-day Grand Asia & Australia Voyage) I be 4-Star.

HAL offers prepaid discount packages before sailing that must be sent in and paid prior to sailing. So my problems began when I wanted more information on what wines (wine list, please) were being offered for each package, i.e. the Admiral's 24-bottle $918 offering or the $682 Navigator's package.

Is there anyone out there that finds the policy of prepaying for wine packages WITHOUT being able to see any wine lists before purchase and then waiting for your 3 or 4-Star Discount until after you are on board both annoying and poor marketing?

I called HAL and asked what wines were being offered for either the Admiral's or the Navigator's 24-bottle package and I was told I could see that on board. I asked the Customer Service rep if that seemed odd that HAL was asking us to spend either $918 or $682 without knowing what we were buying. I must have been connected to Ms. "You clearly have me mistaken for someone who cares" when she said, "Sorry, that's the way it is." And that I could pay now and get my Mariner's discount later.

I went to HAL's Facebook page and wrote the following:

I don't know who the genius is that put together the marketing of the "Onboard Packages" that came with our cruise papers for the 75-day Grand Asia & Australia Voyage, but they should be sent back to remedial marketing 101.

Case in point: of the wine packages (Admiral's vs Navigator's) I cannot find any listing of the wines to be offered. So, I called HAL and asked where could I see the list. A reasonable request (or so I thought) since I'm thinking of committing $682 or $918 (24 bottle discount price). To my surprise I was told that I had to make my choice now and then I could see the list once on board. How stupid and short-sighted. So now, if I'm inclined to do this, I'll spend less when I would have been willing to spend more.

Then I was bold enough to ask about the 3-Star Mariner discount. Not to be given until after I'm on board. So, HAL wants to charge me for unknown wine now and then apply my 3-Star discount after sailing. What's wrong with this picture?

Small wonder more people are bring their own wine on board and paying the corkage fee. At least I know in advance what I'm drinking.

Reaction from HAL: delete the comment and not even bother to reply.

There's a lot of cruise lines out looking for business and I find this attitude unacceptable. We'll reach 4-Star level on this cruise and while a mere 200+ days is not "big time" it does represent someone who has been a loyal HAL customer.

I'm done ranting. See everyone in three weeks.

John

They didn't delete your comment off the HAL Facebook page. It's still there. You just have to scroll down now because several people posted after you so their posts are on top.

Archived