Celebrity reflection or royal princess for e. Med 2013?

Dr. Pam

So, thank you all for such prompt responses. To clarify. We have been to Rome 3x, Barcelona 3x, Venice 1x (but not as an embarkation/disembarkation port). I know the logisitics of airport/hotel/port in the first two. Regarding the Royal Suite on Celebrity, our family works in one suite, so we all have access to any suite perks. non-issue. We have not had the pleasure of the movie under the stars on Princess...might be fun.or we might be too tired from the port intensive itinerary! I have only stayed in a minisuite on Princess and do not know what the full suite appointments are like (I do have a full list of suite amenities). According to the Princess boards, the new Royal has less pools :(. Regarding kids activities....our 18 and 15 yr old like to hang out with their parents :) still allowing DH and I time for couples dining,etc. Onobard Celebrity Equinox last summer, to have a butler is not a deal breaker....as I was not that all impressed...and we are not needy passengers! Airfare is not a consideration at this point, as I have reserved flights in Executive Class on AC with points :) to Frankfurt....so the add on with points to Rome or Venice/Barcelona is not a biggie. I guess it really comes down to the time in Istanbul and Kusadasi on Princess plus throw in the fact that I would love to return to Venice. Decisions, decisions....and there is a big sale on Celebrity suites and Aqua class today!

Celebrity in Istanbul for 1.5 days gives you not only the opportunity to see more of Istanbul during the day but also at night.

The other plus of taking the Celebrity ship is the ship departing the Bosphorus and cruising into the Sea of Marmara during the afternoon and into the evening. You'll observe much of the towns along the Sea of Marmara and see the lights come on in the evening. Certainly a part of the journey that you won't want to miss. Schedule dinner for later in the evening as I think you'll see the shore from both sides of the ship. The Sky Lounge would be a good location for this part of your cruise.

In addition, I'd like to recommend booking a tour so you will see the Roman Terrace Houses in Ephesus. For your teens, you may think about booking a Roman Feast from a hill overlooking the port.

Good luck on your decision. You are well travelled and know all trips are wonderful.

-Marisa

You are posting your opinions as facts!! Ships are different things to different people! We would never go to afternoon tea and from what I have read there is nothing in the IC cafe that interests me. We usually only eat 3 meals a day. Hot, full breakfast on our balcony, light lunch in MDR on Sea Days or the great separate cooked to order stations in the Buffet and excellent dinners in the MDR. We don't graze all day (our friends do tho - burgers, wings etc on the pool deck) but I have to usually hit the ice cream and gelato (8+ flavours) once or twice - open from before noon till 6ish. We like X's interactive TV's where you can order room service, check your bill & view your photos. Have had great iPad & iPhone lessons in the iLounge. Love the S Class bathrooms with tons of storage and glass shower doors, sofas in regular cabins. Love the lawn deck, great seating areas with wonderful views of the ocean, or sitting on the lawn having a glass of wine. Enjoy being greeted with Champagne upon embarkation and welcomed back to the ship after being in port with iced towels, water, punch and usually a tent with a seating area.

All these things, in my opinion, are the great features I like about X. I have no idea if Princess it a better line than Celebrity as I have never been on a Princess Ship. But there is no way to compare food as everyone's tastes are different. Since Princess is your preferred cruise line I think the OP would appreciate your opinion about all the things you like about Princess and leave out the slamming another cruise line.

You are posting your opinions as facts!!

I do not limit my cruising experience to one cruise line.

I cruise on all major cruise lines.

So I have a vision of the whole industry and can post facts as facts and opinions as opinions.

"International cafe, Pub Lunch with live music, Proper Afternoon tea ceremony" on Princess - this is fact.

Someone does not care about that (without ever trying that) - this is someone's opinion.

Celebrity offers more choices of extra charge venues that Princess - this is fact.

Someone does not care about for-fee extras - this is someone's opinion.

We chose Reflection next summer because of the Rome departure and wanting to spend extra time there (doesn't seem like an issue for you). Also because of the overnight in Istanbul and where the sea days fell. I thought it was a good mix of how the ports fell, it seemed to go - more intensive followed by less intensive day.

We did Princess last summer & I liked it. Loved the coffee shop area & the fact I could get a coffee card not having to buy a package.

MUTS is fun. They have popcorn and milk & cookies. We liked it. They also have really good pizza ( very subjective)

My boys were 13 & 15 when we did Princess, the 13yo loved going to the teen room. The older one hung out with us, he loves trivia-(we also took my mom and he loves Grandma) We were on the Caribbean Princess which has no arcade, which didn't make my 13 yo very happy, not sure if the new ship has one or not, but the Reflection does which was another point in her favor.

You are posting your opinions as facts!! Ships are different things to different people! We would never go to afternoon tea and from what I have read there is nothing in the IC cafe that interests me. We usually only eat 3 meals a day. Hot, full breakfast on our balcony, light lunch in MDR on Sea Days or the great separate cooked to order stations in the Buffet and excellent dinners in the MDR. We don't graze all day (our friends do tho - burgers, wings etc on the pool deck) but I have to usually hit the ice cream and gelato (8+ flavours) once or twice - open from before noon till 6ish. We like X's interactive TV's where you can order room service, check your bill & view your photos. Have had great iPad & iPhone lessons in the iLounge. Love the S Class bathrooms with tons of storage and glass shower doors, sofas in regular cabins. Love the lawn deck, great seating areas with wonderful views of the ocean, or sitting on the lawn having a glass of wine. Enjoy being greeted with Champagne upon embarkation and welcomed back to the ship after being in port with iced towels, water, punch and usually a tent with a seating area.

All these things, in my opinion, are the great features I like about X. I have no idea if Princess it a better line than Celebrity as I have never been on a Princess Ship. But there is no way to compare food as everyone's tastes are different. Since Princess is your preferred cruise line I think the OP would appreciate your opinion about all the things you like about Princess and leave out the slamming another cruise line.

Sounds to me like you're putting down Princess by the way you're coming across. At least Cruisetrail has been on a Celebrity cruise. Some of what Cruisetrail stated is fact, with opinion thrown in, which by the way, is the point of this thread, right?? To get some opinions?? You need to except the fact that Celebrity isn't the be all, end all, for everyone. Just saying...

Sounds to me like you're putting down Princess by the way you're coming across. At least Cruisetrail has been on a Celebrity cruise. Some of what Cruisetrail stated is fact, with opinion thrown in, which by the way, is the point of this thread, right?? To get some opinions?? You need to except the fact that Celebrity isn't the be all, end all, for everyone. Just saying...

I was just posting what I like about Celebrity and think it would be nice if Princess cruisers posted what they liked about their line of choice. We just have to do the "pros" and stay away from the "cons" (which I admit I did upon rereading my post. Then people looking to compare lines would get an idea of what is the best of both worlds. I didn't think I put down Princess - just mentioned 2 things that didn't interest me. Cruisetrail mentioned things he liked, IC, Pub lunch and afternoon Tea which I understand a lot of people like so I just mentioned a few things that I liked with X. I seem to always put my foot in it so I will slowly back out the door.

I was just posting what I like about Celebrity and think it would be nice if Princess cruisers posted what they liked about their line of choice. We just have to do the "pros" and stay away from the "cons" (which I admit I did upon rereading my post. Then people looking to compare lines would get an idea of what is the best of both worlds. I didn't think I put down Princess - just mentioned 2 things that didn't interest me. Cruisetrail mentioned things he liked, IC, Pub lunch and afternoon Tea which I understand a lot of people like so I just mentioned a few things that I liked with X. I seem to always put my foot in it so I will slowly back out the door.

I agree it would be nice to just list pros. There is so much negative energy on these threads sometimes, that it would be nice if we could all be a little more positive. We should celebrate what we like about our cruise lines of choice & not put down the ones we aren't fond of. :)

I agree it would be nice to just list pros. There is so much negative energy on these threads sometimes, that it would be nice if we could all be a little more positive. We should celebrate what we like about our cruise lines of choice & not put down the ones we aren't fond of. :)

I'd agree that the putdowns get tiring, but isnt there a difference between legitimate issues with a Cruise Line and a 'putdown'? I've never had a bad cruise. I enjoy this Cruise Line more than others because it provides what I think is important...to me. But that doesnt mean I think Celebrity is the be all, or that I need to list out all the issues I had on some Princess cruise. But at the same time, I think it is important to say what you like and dislke about some Line when people ask you to compare them.

And when you do that, it is also important to use the words "in my opinion"' "what I like", and "what bothered me, or was a shortcoming". That way, not only do you put your words in perspective for others, it reminds You that you are voiceing an opinion. One recent poster seems to think that it is a fact their favorite Line has better dining than Celebrity...that is just impossible to say unless it is some very gourmet specialty Line and not one of the other Main Lines most of us cruise. My bery subjective opinion is Princess has very good food, but I find Celebrity better and certainly more choices in the Buffet. The quality and selection are subjective opinion not matter how another poster may try to play it.

OK, after all that pontificating, I'll give an example of constructive criticism. For Princess: I find Princess common areas to be more crowded than Celebrity. I love the Princess International Cafe andn is one of my favorite venues' and I love the Princess Coffee Card I can share with my wife. I dont enjoy the MUTS, too distracting. Now for Celebrity: I find the service to be a cut above the other Lines I've cruised, including Princess. I find the noise level to be an issue in areas up through the Atrium to be distracting when the band is playing on the 3rd deck.

Those are construcitve criticisms.....all subjective. And I think germane when not put in a way that is only negative towards one Line.

Den

You have no right to comment on posters.

You violate CC rules.

In my post I listed exactly why food service on the Royal is expected to be better than Celebrity.

If you have something to justify a different opinion - please post.

If you have not - please pass by.

Read your previous posts. I rest my case

I'd agree that the putdowns get tiring, but isnt there a difference between legitimate issues with a Cruise Line and a 'putdown'? I've never had a bad cruise. I enjoy this Cruise Line more than others because it provides what I think is important...to me. But that doesnt mean I think Celebrity is the be all, or that I need to list out all the issues I had on some Princess cruise. But at the same time, I think it is important to say what you like and dislke about some Line when people ask you to compare them.

And when you do that, it is also important to use the words "in my opinion"' "what I like", and "what bothered me, or was a shortcoming". That way, not only do you put your words in perspective for others, it reminds You that you are voiceing an opinion. One recent poster seems to think that it is a fact their favorite Line has better dining than Celebrity...that is just impossible to say unless it is some very gourmet specialty Line and not one of the other Main Lines most of us cruise. My bery subjective opinion is Princess has very good food, but I find Celebrity better and certainly more choices in the Buffet. The quality and selection are subjective opinion not matter how another poster may try to play it.

OK, after all that pontificating, I'll give an example of constructive criticism. For Princess: I find Princess common areas to be more crowded than Celebrity. I love the Princess International Cafe andn is one of my favorite venues' and I love the Princess Coffee Card I can share with my wife. I dont enjoy the MUTS, too distracting. Now for Celebrity: I find the service to be a cut above the other Lines I've cruised, including Princess. I find the noise level to be an issue in areas up through the Atrium to be distracting when the band is playing on the 3rd deck.

Those are construcitve criticisms.....all subjective. And I think germane when not put in a way that is only negative towards one Line.

Den

It's true that there are things about ALL lines that are good and bad. But I notice on Celebrity/Princess comparison threads that it gets so mean spirited. This same thread is running over at the Princess board too (my home base board), & it just gets so nasty. I've been lurking on the Celebrity board for a possible cruise with DD, but when you have to sift through insults, it's off putting, when you're looking for valuable information. I think your comparison was fair & shows it can be done in an unbiased way. This is the type of post I look for when I'm trying to get info I need to make decisions. Thanks! :)

To get back to the original reason for this posting...

I'll just add a few comments about traveling this itinerary with teens. We did our first-ever cruise on the Equinox this June with our 15 and 18 year old 'children'. Same itinerary as Reflections will be in 2013. Our teens, especially our 18 year old son, LOVED every part of this trip. Like your kids, they tend to spend their time with us and weren't interested in the teen club (although there were quite a few teens on board at the time). They loved the pools, lounging about, their balcony, BLU, the crew, the entertainment, etc. And they were great visiting all of the ruins.

We split our time in Istanbul up and did one 7 hour day and one 3 hour day. On day 1, we got back to the ship at 3 p.m. and didn't leave again. Celebrity offered a great Turkish folklore show that night so that we didn't feel the need to go off the ship to find that kind of entertainment. And we LOVED the afternoon sail away from Istanbul with the expansive views, etc.

We had two AQ cabins and took the balcony down between them. Liked having two full bathrooms and also liked the privacy and not having to look at my kids' messes while on vacation :).

Happy to answer specific questions but can't speak to the comparison between Celebrity and Princess.

DRPam: We have two teens and sailed the Ruby Princess Grand Med itinerary (Venice to Barcelona) with 4 of us in an oceanview cabin when the teens were 15 and 11. Last summer, when the teens were 17 and 13, we sailed Celebrity Silhouette round trip Holy Land in 2 balcony cabins. We all thought that both were fantastic, and I don't think you can go wrong either way.

In your situation, I agree with others and would choose Princess for the itinerary. Our family prefers the port intensive itinerary, and the Princess itinerary provides more variety than the Celebrity and is really tough to beat. The MUTS is really great in the evenings, and I think that your teens will appreciate having their own cabin, as ours did on the Celebrity cruise.

It's true that there are things about ALL lines that are good and bad. But I notice on Celebrity/Princess comparison threads that it gets so mean spirited. This same thread is running over at the Princess board too (my home base board), & it just gets so nasty. I've been lurking on the Celebrity board for a possible cruise with DD, but when you have to sift through insults, it's off putting, when you're looking for valuable information. I think your comparison was fair & shows it can be done in an unbiased way. This is the type of post I look for when I'm trying to get info I need to make decisions. Thanks! :)

I've noticed the same thing, and noticed it on both boards. I'm a big fan of both Celebrity and Princess so I don't understand what gets some people so riled up. It's as if some feel a need to bash the competition to justify their support for their favorite line. Plus, the OP in this thread is a very experienced traveler who is asking for a recommendation based on very specific details including room selection and itineraries, not for a generalized "which line is better" comparison.

I am so sorry to stir up some controversy over which line is the "best." I have sailed both lines and enjoyed the different cruises for different reasons. I guess I was looking for facts and yes gentle opinions on why CCers would chose one or the other. Some very valid points have been made that I did not think of i.e. the early long drive from Rome to FCO. (I had forgotten that I disliked this trek from last summer.....must have still been on a holiday "high" from Equinox.) Also, the biggie for me was that Venice might move its port and although I have sailed in and out of Venice on the Brilliance (07), I think I might enjoy this once again.....as well we could enjoy 2 days pre-cruise in Venice :). I also took note of the poster who suggested that sailing out of Istanbul during the day (through the Bosphorus) should be considered (adv. Celebrity). I guess at the end of the day, both Celebrity Reflection and the Royal Princess have advantages and disadvantages. I have never had a "bad" cruise day....only great days on all of my cruises and travels!

It is my understanding that the people of Venice want the ships to move but that it would be a big undertaking. There was a thread on this a bit ago and the main concensus was if they did move the port that there was a lot of work to it and it would not be in the near future. Apparently this has been an issue with the ships for sometime and even though they talk about moving the port it is just talk. I wouldn't change my decision based on this posibility. We finish our Med cruise in Venice next Sept. I am not worried at this time that they will make the change that quickly or at all.

Either way I think you will love either ship, both Celebrity and Princess have so much to offer. We lean towards Celebrity because we prefer the food and the S class ships but if Princess has an itinerary that we want to do we will book it. Going on the Emerald in Nov for just this reason.

• 11 months later...

Cruise TRail: royal Princes for a 9 year old best?

Dr. Pam.... how was the cruise? Are you glad you chose Royal?

Thanks!

No problem.

I can be more certain then.

Dining (included in the price) on Princess is definitely better than on Celebrity.

On the Grand Class we enjoyed International cafe, Pub Lunch with live music, Proper Afternoon tea ceremony.

Nothing is close on Celebrity.

Note that there may be some improvements on the Royal in this area in comparison with Grand class.

Variety and quality of food in the buffet was better on Princess (except coffee). You can call this subjective but it's true.

Murano extra charge restaurant on Celebrity is above its analogs on Princess.

You can call this subjective but it's true.

Some people only eat in extra charge restauarants. If you are one of them - Celebrity is your way.

If not - Princess wins hands down.

Archived