Acadia National Park Tours or Oli's Trolley in Bar Harbor

amazinglife

You might want to check Trip Adviser as well as threads on this board. Seems like both get good reviews. Depending on your ship's departure time, one company's tours may work out better timewise. One difference I have noticed is that Oli's wants the fee at the time you reserve and Acadia will reserve ahead and you pay when you pick up your tickets. Hopefully someone who has taken the tours will answer you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recently returned from NE/Canada cruise ( RCI Brilliance of the Seas 9/21/12) and whilst in Bar Harbor we took the 2.5 hr Oli's Trolley tour.

We booked online prior to leaving Australia and had some difficulty with our credit card so they reserved our tickets and we paid on the day. The service was amazing from the staff and the tour was more than we could have hoped for! Our very informative driver who was more than generous with her time and knowledge of the area.

We wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

We also used Oli's Trolley on our recent trip to Bar Harbour. The staff in the office were fantastic as was our driver. I do wish we had more time atop Cadillac Mountain but can appreciate that they have a schedule to follow.

Hi! I just returned from the October21-28 New England cruise on Jewel. We booked a tour with the National Park service to Acadia National Park prior to leaving for the cruise. The poster above was correct, that you do not prepay for the tour. You pay for the tickets when you arrive to pick them up. The NPS request that you arrive 30 minutes early to pick up the tickets, or they will be rereleased so that they can be sold to someone else. I would imagine this is a nice option, if for some reason you cannot go on the tour, then you will not loose your money. You pick up/purchase the tickets at Testa's restaurant, which is in downtown Bar Harbor on Main Street. You than load onto your bus across the street from Testa's.

I enjoyed the tour and definitely recommend taking it. The Tour guide from The National Park service was very knowledgable and informative. We mad 3 stops...Thunder Hole, Cadillac Mountain....and I can't recall the other stop at the moment. Each stop had a restroom available. I felt that I had enough time for pictures and to see the sights. The tour was $ 27 per person. You will also receive a NPS map of Acadia National Park.

Below is information on how to contact:

To reserve tickets :207-288-0300....I just reserved online. Hope this helps.

• 7 months later...

I am also debating between Oli's Trolley and the Acadia National Park tour bus and I am leaning toward the bus. We will do the 2.5 hour tour on either.

Can anyone else give an opinion on these tours and which is the best? I would imagine there are many of us trying to decide between the two. I certainly like that the bus tour lets you reserve now and pay later.

My only tip whichever tour you decide on is to go late morning or early afternoon to give the fog (if there is one that day) a chance to clear.

Enjoy your cruise...jealous MUCH!

It looks like both tour companies offer their longer 2 1/2 hour or 2 1/2-3 hour tours at 10 a.m. or 2 p.m. in the afternoon. Our ship departs at 5 p.m. that day. I'd love to do the longer afternoon tour due to the potential for morning fog, but with tendering, I think that will be cutting it a bit too close. I guess I'll have to choose between the 10 a.m. longer tour or an afternoon shorter tour with Oli's. Any insights or recommendations? Does the longer tour offer a lot of "don't miss" stops?

Thanks for your help!

It looks like both tour companies offer their longer 2 1/2 hour or 2 1/2-3 hour tours at 10 a.m. or 2 p.m. in the afternoon. Our ship departs at 5 p.m. that day. I'd love to do the longer afternoon tour due to the potential for morning fog, but with tendering, I think that will be cutting it a bit too close. I guess I'll have to choose between the 10 a.m. longer tour or an afternoon shorter tour with Oli's. Any insights or recommendations? Does the longer tour offer a lot of "don't miss" stops?

Thanks for your help!

Oli's short tour only enters Acadia National Park to go to the summit of Cadillac Mountain. The short tour does not do the Park Loop Rd which I would consider "not to miss" and you'll miss Thunder Hole and Sand Beach.

No one has ever posted here that because they took a long afternoon tour they missed their departure. just sayin'

SBtS

If you are doing the longer tour and are going to Thunder Hole, check when the tides are coming in. If you miss the window of when the tide is coming in, Thunder Hole is really just a nice spot to look at and not much more. The real action is when the tide is rushing in. We did this and timed it perfectly. Once the tide gets too high the rushing water which creates the 'Thunder' is gone and anytime the tide is going out, you also lose the effect.

Thunder hole as the tide is starting to come in

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Maine/IMG_3490_zpsfa15b422.jpg

and as it really storms into the 'Hole'

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Maine/IMG_3492_zps48a09c59.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Maine/IMG_3499_zps3d8fa083.jpg

Thunder Hole is just a magnificent setting. Looking in the other direction

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Maine/IMG_3504_zpsa965157b.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Maine/IMG_3506_zps126c8a58.jpg

Acadia National Park is just magnificent. see as much of it as you can.

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

• 4 weeks later...

Would love more info on these buses. How far from the ship's dock is the Hull Cove Visitors Center where most of these seem to leave from? Have you taken these tours? Which of the 5 routes operating in the Fall would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Would love more info on these buses. How far from the ship's dock is the Hull Cove Visitors Center where most of these seem to leave from? Have you taken these tours? Which of the 5 routes operating in the Fall would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

The Hull's Cove Visitors' Center is located about 3 miles from the tender dock. The Island Explorer is not a tour service; it is public transportation that serves Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.

JMHO, but the only route I would consider doing is route #4, the Park Loop Road. The only way to take the route #4 bus is to take a bus route #1 or #5 to the HCVC to board the #4 bus. You would board the #1 or #5 at the BH Village Green. Of course, to get back to BH, you'll do the reverse.

A distance second choice would be a route #5 bus which does a small part of the Park Loop Rd and ends in Northeast Harbor which is very picturesque. The route #5 bus starts and ends at the BH Village Green.

The BHVG where you would board a route #1 or #5 bus is about a 5-7 minute walk from the tender dock.

SBtS

Two points to consider

When we did Ollie's Trolley tour they took our credit card information, but we did not actually pay until we got there -then they ran the credit card and charged us. They too would have given away our spots if we hadn't checked in by a certain time. They told us if our ship did not make it in in time or not at all we would not be charged. This may have changed, so I would say to call and ask and see. They were helpfull on the phone. I liked the tour and liked the open air and the cute trolley look. I wouldn't hesitate to take the bus one if I returned either though.

As far as the Island Explorer we did that too when we returned another year. That was great and it was free to get into the parks only because our friend had a senior citizens lifelong pass to National parks and he could get 4 people in with that. Not sure the charge otherwise. There is no narration it just takes you around. That was nice the second time as we knew we wanted to do some hiking and have pop overs at Jordon pond house etc. But I would really recommend one of narrated tours for a lovely overview if you haven't done it. They are priced reasonable IMHO.

We have Oli's Trolley booked for the long tour for our October cruise. They still do a full refund if the ship cannot dock or is too late coming in. We are looking forward to it. I think I booked around 11:00am or so.

One thing we considered in making this decision is our cruise in in mid-October (Oct. 13-20) and it could be windy and/or cold. We read several reviews from people who took Oli's Trolley and wished they hadn't, only because it's an open-air trolley and they were freezing. My husband gets cold very easily so we're not taking the chance. We will be taking the Acadia National Park Tour Bus.

One thing we considered in making this decision is our cruise in in mid-October (Oct. 13-20) and it could be windy and/or cold. We read several reviews from people who took Oli's Trolley and wished they hadn't, only because it's an open-air trolley and they were freezing. My husband gets cold very easily so we're not taking the chance. We will be taking the Acadia National Park Tour Bus.

I don't agree with that statement. The trolley's shown on Oli's site are completely enclosed with sliding window. There is a version of the trolley which is open towards the back, but do have roll up plastic windows with zippers on the open edges.

You can do a Google image search on - oli's trolley bar harbor maine to see more images of the trolleys.

SBtS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The National Park tour is more comfortable than the trolley....more room on the seat and easier on the back. Guides are excellent. Windows are glass; open & close; clear view (a plus over a plastic shade). Board early and take a seat on the port side for better ocean views. Reservations do not have to paid for in advance for NP tour.

Children and teens would probably find Oli's trolley unique and thus more fun to be on....probably a better choice for a family with small children if free bus is not an option.

Free bus is a great option. If you have one of the National Park passes, bring it with you; you will receive benefits of your pass...ex: free admission. It works similar to a hop-on/hop-off and you can set your own schedule....stay as long as you want at stops or plan a hike. Space is available for bikes. All loops run on a frequent schedule and schedule is reliable. No guide or narration on the free bus, but drivers are helpful with questions. The free bus does not go up Cadillac Mt. as the tours do, but free bus does do the same loop as the tours --and it provides the additional option to transfer to the other loops not covered by the tours. Board free bus on the Village Square....from the tender pier, walk straight up the street until you reach the square on the right side. There is a small National Park service office along the square....buy passes or pay admission before boarding bus; bus schedules and park maps available. First bus departs approx. 9 a.m. The free bus service usually stops operating some time in mid-October. Not sure when it begins operating in the Spring. It is best to phone the Tourist Information center in Bar Harbor, if you are arriving around mid-Oct. or during May, for operating times.

Just an FYI on using the Island Explorer (free bus), the route that most tourists would be interested in is route #4, the Park Loop Rd. This route does not start at the Bar Harbor Village Green or have Bar Harbor on its route. The starting point is the Hull's Cove Visitor Center which is about 10 minutes from the BHVG.

To get to HCVC, you will have to take either a route #1 or route #5 IE bus from the BHVG. This was new for 2013; maybe in 2014, it will be changed back.

Here is the route #4 (Park Loop Rd) map:

Route4.jpg

BTW, this is the only Island Explorer route that does not start and end at the Bar Harbor Village Green.

SBtS