First Cruise and need help!

pegdave

Agree longer cruise is better! We loved the beautiful Pearl and it has a great crew and staff. Since it's your first cruise, don't worry so much about the cabin since you'll be off exploring the ship a lot. At least a window would be nice if you can swing it but think you'll have a marvelous first cruise no matter what. You can always have a balcony on future cruises. Don't know anything about the Valor. Enjoy!

Agree longer cruise is better! We loved the beautiful Pearl and it has a great crew and staff. Since it's your first cruise, don't worry so much about the cabin since you'll be off exploring the ship a lot. At least a window would be nice if you can swing it but think you'll have a marvelous first cruise no matter what. You can always have a balcony on future cruises. Don't know anything about the Valor. Enjoy!

But if a Balcony is the same price, I can't immagine anyone PREFERRING an OV! Even if I were not a carnival fan I would still pick a balcony over an ocean view if the price is the same.

For your first cruise, I would probably choose by itinerary rather than cruise line. I agree with the others that a 7 day is perfect for a first cruise - it will seem to short at the end.

Carnival's cabins are larger than most. I love a balcony and that is my preferred cabin, but depending on my budget will go in an oceanview and, on my last cruise, did an obstructed view just to see how it was. Not bad. I don't recommend an inside cabin, just because I really need the natural light.

For your first cruise, if budget is a concern, I would recommend an oceanview. Spend the extra money on having fun onboard and in port. The first time you cruise, the extras can be a surprise.

I also suggest while onboard, check your onboard account often so there are no surprises at the end.

Have a great time!

I have been on RCCL and NCL but not on Carnival. I had heard that Carnivals are more party crowds so we have just stayed away from them thus far. I LOVED NCL over RCCL. We are getting ready to go on our wedding cruise with RCCL.

I am not sure when you are trying to cruise but right now RCCL Monarch of the seas which is an older ship has a 4 night for $119 Interior or $129 ocean view for the month of October. You can even do the 4 night and 3 night back to back for a really low price if you are wanting to go to the Bahamas. But it ports out of Port Canaveral.

You can't really go on others ratings because some people love a certain line and others will hate it. I had great service on both RCCL and NCL. If you are booking a while out I would choose CCL and do the Early saver because if the price goes down and you catch it you can fill out a form to get the price difference. With RCCL they do not do that so you are screwed out of your money. And I don't believe NCL does it either. We will be taking out next cruise on CCL after this one because of the Early Saver price guarantee.

I'd go with the balcony on the Valor, but we love a balcony. We have enjoyed both NCL and Carnival, but haven't sailed on either ship.

I'm glad you passed on the 4-day cruise. Really, 7 days is not too long for your first cruise. The days fly by.

Is one itinerary better to you? That's another thing I'd use to decide which cruise.

Just my personal opinion!!!! I am not a fan of Carnival! I have tried it twice, but won't try it a third time! I love Norwegian, but my favorite is Royal Caribbean! I would never do a short 4 or 5 day cruise! That flys by too fast! I have done a 10 day to Canada/New England and that by far as been my favorite cruise!!! Trust me, 6 days will not be too long!!!

Definitely would go with longer cruise over a shorter one. Your airfare is going to be the same no matter which one you choose, same with transfers etc. I like to get a bang for my buck.

The shorter cruises get the party label but it is more for those that are three nights and Friday to Monday cruises.

I am a Celebrity fan, but only the Summit sails from NY area, if you did not want to fly. However, I see you are contemplating cruising out of Miami.

Each Tuesday, Celebrity puts on specials which are hard to beat. Cruise must be booked that day.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

Hope I haven't confused you or made your decision more difficult. there is one Caribbean cruise on this week's list.

I agree with others that 4 day cruises tend to draw the party crowd and even if they didn't, they are just not long enough to unwind. First day you are settling in and the last day you are getting ready to leave and believe me it is not a happy day!

One more thing, when you decide on your cruise, don't forget to join the roll call for that cruise. It is fun talking to others before the cruise and planning things together.

Thank you for your help. Believe it or not..I still haven't decided. The cost with airline tickets would be the same for Pearl out of Miami on 10/21 as us taking the Jewel out of New York on 10/21..so hard! I think the ports are better from Miami on the Pearl but one more and no flying hassle on Jewel! crazy!

Thank you for your help. Believe it or not..I still haven't decided. The cost with airline tickets would be the same for Pearl out of Miami on 10/21 as us taking the Jewel out of New York on 10/21..so hard! I think the ports are better from Miami on the Pearl but one more and no flying hassle on Jewel! crazy!

PegDave - My choice is still 7-days on the Valor. There is so much to do on that ship & the ports are great. Just a word of advice: Always check your on-board account, drinks can really add up, watch out for all those pictures they take of you. If you bought all of them, that could run you easily over $200+.

At the on-board shops I suggest that if you see something you like, just check each day to see if it is still there & then purchase it at end of the week, because the merchandise is drastically reduced. Also, at the end of the week, the Boutique will have the GREAT (??) sale on $10 Watch Sets. "Beware" You know the old says, "You get what you pay for".

Whatever you decide, you will have a great time!

Based solely on the itinerary, I would go for the Pearl. Jamaica - Ocho Rios vs. Montego Bay - I preferred Ocho Rios (loved climbing the water fall). Then you have Key West vs. private island. I have not been to Key West, but I loved the private island. It also depends on the time you are at Key West....I haven't looked at this one, but often it seems you are in Key West early in the morning and/or on Sunday and are limited on what you can do.

I have sailed both Carnival and NCL (although not either of these ships). I preferred NCL overall except for the food - the food was better on Carnival.

The one problem I see on balcony vs. obstructed view ocean view - once you stay in a balcony, it is tough to go back to an ocean view!

Whatever you choose - have fun!

Archived