First Cruise and need help!

pegdave

I have searched and searched and cannot make a decision. I thought NCL would be best..just from what I heard. I believe based on my budget I have it narrowed to three...

NCL Sky out of Miami for 4 nights...balcony

NCL Pearly out of Miami for 6 nights ...ocean

Carn. VAlor out of Miami for 6 nights... ocean

We live in CT ...my first cruise I don't think i should 7 nights. I thought the Sky for 4 nights to the Bahamas was great but now hearing bad reviews.

We are in our 50's and don't want to spend more then 1300 on cruise. So basically it comes down to balcony over more nights and ports. I thought the Pearl was the best but not sure. My husband is crazy with the hours I spend on the computer trying to decide...any help would be great!

THANKS

I would pick the cruise over the specific cabin.

A short cruise goes by too fast and honestly is a party boat.

So I would try to find a six or seven day cruise and not do a four day cruise.

So I would not do the sky for four days.

Everyone has their own opinion. I would go with the Pear over the Valor.

Keith

I have searched and searched and cannot make a decision. I thought NCL would be best..just from what I heard. I believe based on my budget I have it narrowed to three...

NCL Sky out of Miami for 4 nights...balcony

NCL Pearly out of Miami for 6 nights ...ocean

Carn. VAlor out of Miami for 6 nights... ocean

We live in CT ...my first cruise I don't think i should 7 nights. I thought the Sky for 4 nights to the Bahamas was great but now hearing bad reviews.

We are in our 50's and don't want to spend more then 1300 on cruise. So basically it comes down to balcony over more nights and ports. I thought the Pearl was the best but not sure. My husband is crazy with the hours I spend on the computer trying to decide...any help would be great!

THANKS

I think the shorter cruises tend to draw the "party" crowd..those who like to drink a lot, stay up late in the bars, be a bit more raucous. If you like that sort of thing, then the shorter cruises would suit (the 4 day).

If you're going for what you want to see on the islands, the time in port (rather than party on the ship), then you want the longer cruises. We don't spend enough time in our cabin to spend the extra on the balcony. While we certainly aren't the "party" type, once we're up in the morning we're either doing stuff on the ship, or are on shore, so while we really like having natural daylight, a balcony isn't necessary.

We'll always choose the longest cruise we can afford, and will settle for an obstructed view. And we'd always choose any line other than Carnival, unless Carnival had a specific unique itinerary that none of the others offered. So given what you have here, we'd choose the NCL 6 nighters.

Go with the seven-night trip.

Amortizing your travel distance against criuse time, the seven night makes better sense, The short trip could land you in the midst of a four-day binge drinking festival and besides----seven days on a cruise beats four!

Ok...so one more problem! I am not doing the 4 day based on all I have read..thanks!

But now the Valor's balcony would cost the same as the obstructed view ocean view on the Pearl. I really was stuck on going on the Nowegian but now I am sure. Any reasons while I should go on NCL over Carnival? Thanks

Ok...so one more problem! I am not doing the 4 day based on all I have read..thanks!

But now the Valor's balcony would cost the same as the obstructed view ocean view on the Pearl. I really was stuck on going on the Nowegian but now I am sure. Any reasons while I should go on NCL over Carnival? Thanks

They are both good and I would sail either.

Are they the exact same itinerary? I would go with the best itinerary if they are different.

Are they the exact same itinerary? I would go with the best itinerary if they are different.

I would definitely take the balcony on the Valor. Carnivals cabins are bigger even on the inner and OV rooms but a balcony would be great if you can get it for the same price as an OV on NCL. I prefer Carnival and would choose an inner room on Carnival to a balcony on NCL any day but that's just me. Take the Balcony on Valor, and on your first morning when your enjoying coffee and danish on your private balcony in your roomy stateroom in your fluffy complimentory robe you will be glad you did!

How I tell my family and friends, ships are like your vehicle ..they will get u to point a and b, but how you want to go is up to you. Carnival to me is like days inn, and ncl is like comfort inn suites, and princess or rccl is like embassy suites, celebrity is like Hilton... This is jmo... But how I see it.

I pick where I want to go, and what ports I would love to see, no cruise is bad.

Good luck...

By the way I have cruised carnival, ncl princess and rccl. I have stayed inside, ocean view, balcony, aft balcony, and suite.

You will have a great time no matter which ship you choose!! :)

You will be on vacation!!

Seriously, though, We have been on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL and had a great time on all!! There are good and not as good things about each cruise line and each ship. I wouldn't hesitate to go on either of them.

I just finished reading this blog from a cruiser who spent her winter (with her DH) in an inside cabin for 100 days. I thought - ugh, 100 in an inside? But as I read, I became more aware of just how easy it would work. When I retire, I want to go cruising as long as the money holds out. A back to back is on my wish list.

So, my vote is to go with a cheeper room but longer cruise.

I highly recommend this blog. Here is a link to their story. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

http://www.pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2012-08-01T00:00:00-04:00&updated-max=2012-09-01T00:00:00-04:00&max-results=50

Thank you all so much for all the replies...how exciting to wake up this morning and find some good answers to my hard decision. I just thought from everything I read that NCL was so much better..food, rooms and entertainment. Not by the replies I have so far. I am so scared of a inside room...and honestly I don't know why. Some one mention the ports..since I have no where...I guess all ports look good to me. I will research the Valor more now...I have the Pearl and it looks great.

Thank you to the poster for the link on the 50 day cruise....I will read after work!

Thank you again and I welcome any more info!

Agree with those who say 4 days is too short. My first cruise was a 5-day and it was barely long enough. I wouldn't do less than 5 days for a first cruise. I did take one 4-day cruise, only to apply some use-'em-or-lose-'em credit card points. I insisted on a cruise that hit TWO ports. I didn't want to cruise out and cruise back. One of those ports was Key West.

Also agree with those who advise to choose for the ship and itinerary, not for the cabin. If possible, go for at least an oceanview because inside cabins don't allow you to see the ocean from your room. To me, that's a big deal. I cruise to be AT SEA, so I want to see the ocean as much as possible. A balcony, while nice, is not essential and probably not worth the additional cost on a short cruise. A hint: The lower the deck, the less costly the room. I typically book an oceanview cabin on the 2nd or 3rd deck. It's further from the pool deck, but still close to the dining room and the gangway to your ports of call. It's quiet and you get less motion - particularly mid-ship.

I've never cruised with NCL, but I've been on the Valor twice and it's a very nice ship. I've gotten older and prefer Royal Caribbean to Carnival at this point, but they're very similar cruise lines.

ENJOY!

Have not been on an NCL yet (next April), but have been on the Valor & had a wonderful time. What ports are on these two cruises?

The port for Valor is

Miami

key west

at sea

george town

montego bay

at sea

miami

The Pearl

miami

private island bahamas

sea

ocho rios jamica

george town

sea

miami

Also to throw out there ...there is a cruise out of NY the Jewel ..going just to Bahamas for 7 days. But no airline for me, But just bahamas seems boring...

The port for Valor is

Miami

key west

at sea

george town

montego bay

at sea

miami

The Pearl

miami

private island bahamas

sea

ocho rios jamica

george town

sea

miami

Also to throw out there ...there is a cruise out of NY the Jewel ..going just to Bahamas for 7 days. But no airline for me, But just bahamas seems boring...

I personally would go with Valor based on the Itinerary. Key West is a great stop. I've been to Ocho Rios several times but have heard that Montego Bay is better. Grand Cayman has Stingray City.

Archived