Jewel effected by Leslie

waterbugohio

Ok I have a dumb question.

When doing a TA and heading across the Atlantic. When do you change times? The jewel left Iceland Sunday morning and was four hours ahead of Boston. They will now be at sea from yesterday till they dock on Sunday morning. Who knows where they are floating around at. Will they change an hour every day or so??

Not an important question but was just wondering how they do that

Ok I have a dumb question.

When doing a TA and heading across the Atlantic. When do you change times? The jewel left Iceland Sunday morning and was four hours ahead of Boston. They will now be at sea from yesterday till they dock on Sunday morning. Who knows where they are floating around at. Will they change an hour every day or so??

Not an important question but was just wondering how they do that

On our westbound TA last year, they added one hour per day on 6 different days. It was quite a treat having so many 25 hour days. They got us to US Central time about 3 days before we arrived in New Orleans, so we were well acclimated to the local time.

That's why I said it was just my opinion that the seas were not that rough. I had expected the North Atlantic to be rougher than it was BEFORE we hit the storm, so being in the storm was how I had expected it to be all along. We always take Bonine (or whatever it's called these days) so even though we can feel the ship rocking it doesn't really bother us.

At the captain's talk about the storm and our change of itinerary some people asked him what would happen if he went through the storm to get to NF on schedule and he replied that the ship would be fine but the passengers would be pretty miserable. I thought the Jewel weathered the whole thing very well.

My SIL was on a cruise that hit bad weather recently, and she said the crew handed out some type of seasick pills free of charge if you needed them.

This is what happened to us on our Jewel TA in 2010. We left Iceland, heading for Newfoundland, and came across a North Atlantic storm. The captain had that same type of meeting in the theater with a big weather map up on the screen, showing us the storm and our position at the moment. We were supposed to have 2 sea days to NF and then head to Nova Scotia so he just made it 3 sea days and we got to NS the evening before our scheduled arrival.

It really wasn't that bad, the seas were not all that rough (well, just in my opinion probably) considering we were going through the edge of a huge storm, and they really ramped up the activities. They put out a revised Compass and there was plenty to do. Plus I think the Jewel is a good ship for sea days, even if you can't go outside (the doors to the outside decks were locked at times for the passenger's safety). Lots of places to sit and people watch or read.

I was on Jewel's 2012 transatlantic as well, and Emilygrace has covered it well. I have to admit, though, that by the time we docked in Nova Scotia I was really ready to get off the ship. I guess a major learning for me there is that I am not suited to the more traditional Med-to-southern-US transatlantics that generally have 7 sea days in a row!

Update from friend on board. "very windy up to 60 wind speed this afternoon. Rocking pretty good".

I ask if she knew where they were and she said monitor shows them out in the middle of the ocean headed straight in to Boston. But still quite a ways out.

Also to answer my earlier question, she said they have been turning clock back every night. They are now only two hours ahead of Boston.

Sounds like it won't be a problem getting to Boston on time

latest update:

"Gorgeous day yesterday, no rough seas.

Had a Canadian coast guard plane buzz over the ship last evening, neat, but scared the crap out of some of the older folks!!

Saw lots of dolphins yesterday"

Sounds like the cruise is ending up just as nice as it started. Shouldn't have any problem making into Boston right on schedule. Anyone able to locate them on radar yet??

Absolutely. I tried to track them but they are out of range and probably will be for most of the next 6 days.

Keep an eye on their rollcall too since a couple of people have posted to that thread. Someone just posted the same information you and I had heard. He also said that the Captain told them that the Brilliance is missing more ports that the Jewel. Brilliance is skipping Iceland and another port according to the Miz.

Hopefully things don't get too rough.

Brilliance also changing schedule - they skipped Faroe islands and are going directly to Iceland. However, Leslie at that time will be just SW of Iceland moving towards the NE. I'm a bit concerned on what Brilliance may do because I don't think they will go to Iceland if they are forecasting a hurricane there.

Seas are forecasted to be 12 meters right where Jewel is headed.

I was supposed to be on Brilliance but had to cancel.

My disappointment , however is starting to abate;):eek:

Well, we're having a lovely time in Reykjavik. :). We came in late Wednesday night because the Crystal Symphony couldnt get away from the pier. But we still have our two days to enjoy.

On Brillance now. Left Reykjavik an hour ago. Had 2 great days & nights in Iceland. Had some rain but it didn't bother us. Had a tremendous tour yesterday to glacier ice field, even took a boat ride in the ice.

Headed now to Newfoundland. Should experience some high seas tonight as we head towards Greenland to skirt around most of the storm. Then we'll head south tomorrow, arriving in St. John's on Tuesday morning.

FYI: I was on this most recent Jewel TA and the one in 2010. Clearly, I was not meant to see St. John's -- at least not from the deck of a Royal Caribbean cruise ship!

All in all, the seas we encountered last week were nothing especially troublesome. That said, they did drain the pool a few times in the Solarium because it was like high tide in there -- "oooooh, ahhhh!!" Made for fun pictures...

Six days at sea was a daunting thought when we got the word leaving Iceland but, ya know what, it was a lot of fun nonetheless. Honestly, I wasn't ready to leave yesterday when we got into Boston!

Well, we're having a lovely time in Reykjavik. :). We came in late Wednesday night because the Crystal Symphony couldnt get away from the pier. But we still have our two days to enjoy.

Sorry about that. I was on the Crystal Symphony and saw the Brilliance approaching as we came back from our shore excursion. I know I saw you bobbing in the Harbor while the tugs tried to get us away from the pier, and saw you sitting there until I left for dinner, but didn't see you after dinner or as we were leaving (about 10PM). Did you find another dock somewhere?

Roy

It was fabulous and by heading due south from Iceland before turning towards Boston we experienced some of the smoothest seas I have ever seen. We had a slight delay when we had to divert from our course to transfer a sick crewman near Halifax, but the Captain made up most of the time and we were docked in Boston by 6:30am and off the ship by 9:30.

Lots of memories, most of them great, in the company of so many wonderful fellow cruisers. Can't wait to reboard in less than six weeks for the Jewel's final repo out of Boston.

Kudos again to whomever at RCI was responsible for adding the Faroes to our itinerary. Looking forward to our return visit on next year's TA. A hidden gem and totally unexpected treasure.:)

Don't think we will run into the Schooner Bar piano player on any future RCI cruise and that is definitely a good thing.:) Tony Tillman, on the other hand, was the ultimate professional performer and put on a fantastic show near the end of the cruise. If he is on your cruise, don't miss him.:)

Archived