Cairo Shore Excursion

rayjames7

Would appreciate some feedback from you folks that have taken O's shore excursions. There are two very similar excursions in Cairo that go to both the Pyramids and the Egyptian Museum--it appears the only difference is that one has lunch on the Nile and one in a hotel. Has anyone taken either one? Would appreciate your thoughts!

I do not want to burst your bubble but if you look at today's news, it does not look like Cairo is a good place for American tourists.

There are riots in Cairo, police in riot gear, they are protecting the US Egyptian ambassador (as the US Libyan ambassador was just killed) and the US is "displeased" with Egypt's response to news of the killing. Does not look good for tourism.

We were on the July 19 sailing "Lands of Time" on Riviera. We took the tour called Pyramids, Memphis and Sakkara on July 26. The tour was extremely well organized by Oceania. We left at approximately 7 AM and returned 12 1/2 hours later. From the port to the pyramids we traveled in a 27 or 28 bus and van convoy with other tours from the ship. Lots of guards embedded with us, streets closed off for our safety, etc. so we felt very safe at all times. At no time did I personally see any specific need for all of the security, but the secuirty did add a level of comfort.

There was about a 3 hour ride to the pyramids, but very enjoyable on comfortable, air-conditioned bus with a clean rest room aboard. During the 3 hour trip we were able to see much of the countryside and associated villages and businesses. Our guide provided interesting commentary and information along the way. We arrived at the pyramids area about 10-10:30 AM and spent a good two hours at various sites including a breathtaking positioning near Sphinx for photos. Lunch was at Le Meridian Hotel very close to the pyramids. Then we went on to Memphis and Sakkara. Our particular tour did not go through Cairo. The tour with the lunch on the Nile River boat did stop in Cairo. From other passengers, we heard that the cruise and lunch were lovely, but that the museum near the Square in Cairo was 'a disappointment'.

We were very pleased with the Memphis and Sakkara portions of our tour. The 'step' pyramid is so different from the others we had seen. The Ramses statue was much more impressive than I had envisioned with other relics at that site quite interesting. I believe our tour was the longest of the tours that day.

Most people were nodding off a bit on the trip back to the ship, but many stayed awake and talked a bit about the sites of the day. It was a very exciting experience and ranks as one of my lifetime travel highlights for sure.

The only shopping time we really got was when we went to a papyrus shop for less than 1/2 hour. Of course, all day wherever we stopped there were vendors trying to sell us pretty much, well, everything. Prices were very reasonable and the people of Egypt were warm, friendly and so very happy to see tour buses. My heart goes out to these people with all of the turmoil in their country and their lives over the past couple of years. Tourism is their #1 economy driver and it was down 80% in the past two years. They still have their cotton industry, but it is tough to live there since there was really no indication as to who (really) was in charge. Hard to describe, but you will see when you go.

The weather was very warm, but single digit humidity made it bearable. It was nice to get back to our beautiful ship and to a grand 'welcome'. We were back in plenty of time to go enjoy one of Riviera's magnificent meals on board.

The trip was oh so worth it! Try to cram every bit of touring in that you can. We did and we're not a bit sorry.:)

And just for the record, we did dock in Ashdod the next morning for a 5 hour tour of Tel Aviv and Jaffa (not quite so early, though) and we are both on Social Security with my husband having had two hip replacements in the past 5 years and me having a reconstructed ankle with seven pins, a bolt and a plate still in there.

Go! And enjoy! You can rest and sleep when you get back home.

Would appreciate some feedback from you folks that have taken O's shore excursions. There are two very similar excursions in Cairo that go to both the Pyramids and the Egyptian Museum--it appears the only difference is that one has lunch on the Nile and one in a hotel. Has anyone taken either one? Would appreciate your thoughts!

With what's happening in the middle east, I wouldn't count 100% on docking in Egypt. The choice is up to the Captain who is responsible for he safety of his passengers.

With what's happening in the middle east, I wouldn't count 100% on docking in Egypt. The choice is up to the Captain who is responsible for he safety of his passengers.

At this point the decision is up to the office in Miami..

Jancruz1

There is an armed convoy from Alexandria, I would not think this is a good idea at this point,I would check with the State Dept before this trip!!

I was making a joke bc when you hire a driver in Egypt the practice of taking you shopping to supplement their income is still very much in force.

The checkpoints/convoys are always there especially on the Sharm, Dahab, Hurghada route for the safety of the tourists traveling by car.

As a cruiser noted they have really beefed up security.

I would think this is something Oceania decides on their current voyage. The Captain can cancel port at will and either get clearance for another or stay at sea.

We were on the July 19 sailing "Lands of Time" on Riviera. We took the tour called Pyramids, Memphis and Sakkara on July 26. The tour was extremely well organized by Oceania. We left at approximately 7 AM and returned 12 1/2 hours later. From the port to the pyramids we traveled in a 27 or 28 bus and van convoy with other tours from the ship. Lots of guards embedded with us, streets closed off for our safety, etc. so we felt very safe at all times. At no time did I personally see any specific need for all of the security, but the secuirty did add a level of comfort.

There was about a 3 hour ride to the pyramids, but very enjoyable on comfortable, air-conditioned bus with a clean rest room aboard. During the 3 hour trip we were able to see much of the countryside and associated villages and businesses. Our guide provided interesting commentary and information along the way. We arrived at the pyramids area about 10-10:30 AM and spent a good two hours at various sites including a breathtaking positioning near Sphinx for photos. Lunch was at Le Meridian Hotel very close to the pyramids. Then we went on to Memphis and Sakkara. Our particular tour did not go through Cairo. The tour with the lunch on the Nile River boat did stop in Cairo. From other passengers, we heard that the cruise and lunch were lovely, but that the museum near the Square in Cairo was 'a disappointment'.

We were very pleased with the Memphis and Sakkara portions of our tour. The 'step' pyramid is so different from the others we had seen. The Ramses statue was much more impressive than I had envisioned with other relics at that site quite interesting. I believe our tour was the longest of the tours that day.

Most people were nodding off a bit on the trip back to the ship, but many stayed awake and talked a bit about the sites of the day. It was a very exciting experience and ranks as one of my lifetime travel highlights for sure.

The only shopping time we really got was when we went to a papyrus shop for less than 1/2 hour. Of course, all day wherever we stopped there were vendors trying to sell us pretty much, well, everything. Prices were very reasonable and the people of Egypt were warm, friendly and so very happy to see tour buses. My heart goes out to these people with all of the turmoil in their country and their lives over the past couple of years. Tourism is their #1 economy driver and it was down 80% in the past two years. They still have their cotton industry, but it is tough to live there since there was really no indication as to who (really) was in charge. Hard to describe, but you will see when you go.

The weather was very warm, but single digit humidity made it bearable. It was nice to get back to our beautiful ship and to a grand 'welcome'. We were back in plenty of time to go enjoy one of Riviera's magnificent meals on board.

The trip was oh so worth it! Try to cram every bit of touring in that you can. We did and we're not a bit sorry.:)

And just for the record, we did dock in Ashdod the next morning for a 5 hour tour of Tel Aviv and Jaffa (not quite so early, though) and we are both on Social Security with my husband having had two hip replacements in the past 5 years and me having a reconstructed ankle with seven pins, a bolt and a plate still in there.

Go! And enjoy! You can rest and sleep when you get back home.

glad to hear you had a great time despite your health! this is one of favorite parts of the word as well. Thanks for sharing.

I can't imagine anyone describing the Egyptian Museum in Cairo as 'disappointing'. It was an incredible place....chock-a-block full of 5000 years of amazing and beautiful artifacts. I would love to get back there for a longer visit than the 1/2 day we had earlier this year.

glad to hear you had a great time despite your health! this is one of favorite parts of the word as well. Thanks for sharing.

LOL! No health issues here. With our new parts and our rebuilds, we are better than five years ago. Not a cane nor a limp (nor a complaint) from all of the touring. I only mentioned our history so that some will not be hesitant to schedule an active touring itinerary.

At some of the stops we left a few of the 'youngsters' on the bus while we got out and explored. :D

The biggest 'health' issue we came home with was all of the extra poundage from our meals and fine wines on the ship. Still working on that.:(

I can't imagine anyone describing the Egyptian Museum in Cairo as 'disappointing'. It was an incredible place....chock-a-block full of 5000 years of amazing and beautiful artifacts. I would love to get back there for a longer visit than the 1/2 day we had earlier this year.

The only thing I found disappointing about Eqyptian Antiquities Museum was the lack of air conditioning (except for the King Tut room). We were there in July and it was stiflingly hot.:eek:

What was once,. is not now. With the violence toward americans and christians, are you sure you even want to get off the ship?

I see it as a growing and endemic problem of the region.

I suggest you contact the state dept for advisories It is getting worse not

better for the forseeable future.

Think this out very carefully.

What was once,. is not now. With the violence toward americans and christians, are you sure you even want to get off the ship?

There were armed convoys back in 2000 during our trip. I would take the ship's tour. Also bring a portable hand fan while visiting the museum.

LOL! No health issues here. With our new parts and our rebuilds, we are better than five years ago. Not a cane nor a limp (nor a complaint) from all of the touring. I only mentioned our history so that some will not be hesitant to schedule an active touring itinerary.

At some of the stops we left a few of the 'youngsters' on the bus while we got out and explored. :D

The biggest 'health' issue we came home with was all of the extra poundage from our meals and fine wines on the ship. Still working on that.:(

Even better news!

What an ignorant thing to say! There is no violence towards the self-aware American traveler, and a large population of Western expats live in Egypt, especially the Sharm area. Egypt is one of the most beautiful and diverse countries in the world.

The cruiser will be on a highly monitored group day tour!

There were armed convoys back in 2000 during our trip. I would take the ship's tour. Also bring a portable hand fan while visiting the museum.

Yes, Egypt regards their tourism industry. Those check-points count license plates every few miles to make sure all the vehicles are making their way to their destinations safely.

It can't be ignored that there is unrest and potentially hazardous conditions in certain parts of the world. A smart traveler needs to evaluate their own comfort level with their plans based on all the info they can get ... including the US State Dept. advisories. People may arrive at different decisions based on the same information ... but none should be disparaged for expressing concern.

My statement is or was not how safe or nice or whatever Egypt was in the past. I have no argument with then past.

My statement was for now, today and the future visits to Egypt.

The state dept feels the same... and advising Americans to avoid all travel and to leave... That dosent leave a lot of doubt.

My statement is or was not how safe or nice or whatever Egypt was in the past. I have no argument with then past.

My statement was for now, today and the future visits to Egypt.

The state dept feels the same... and advising Americans to avoid all travel and to leave... That dosent leave a lot of doubt.

Today(Friday) the situation is worse. Radicals are running these demonstrations. John Bolton, ex ambassador from the middle east just said that Americans or Canadians are targets. Someone suggested wearing a Canadian Maple leaf shirt. I'm an American and proud of it, I am not about to disguise myself as a Canadian. These people aren't looking to distinguish between American and Canadian, they are looking to take their anger out on any north american.

By the way, not to be an alarmist, but does anyone remember the tourist group that was killed in the Valley of the Kings years back?

I love Egypt, it's a wonderful place to visit. Its pyramids, sphynx, museum, Luxor and other sites are fabulous. I myself have been there three times and would love to go three more, just not at this time.

• 3 months later...

That Egypt is now under an Islamic radical rule with the west( read you and me) the targets Infadels..... If non Islamic Egyptian citiziens are getting the heck out; civil un rest through out the country , the makings for civil war..

you think you want to go in.....:rolleyes:

I am no stranget to danger...for a number of years I have had people seriously interested in killing me and my friends on a daily basis.. I was also heavlly armed and had a lot of back up and evem more training.

I know a little bit about risk and when and when not to take it... Egypt and N.Africa are out there furthur than I want to go.... You can...not me charlie

Good luck, just have a plan B, and C in case.

That Egypt is now under an Islamic radical rule with the west( read you and me) the targets Infadels..... If non Islamic Egyptian citiziens are getting the heck out; civil un rest through out the country , the makings for civil war..

you think you want to go in.....:rolleyes:

I am no stranget to danger...for a number of years I have had people seriously interested in killing me and my friends on a daily basis.. I was also heavlly armed and had a lot of back up and evem more training.

I know a little bit about risk and when and when not to take it... Egypt and N.Africa are out there furthur than I want to go.... You can...not me charlie

Good luck, just have a plan B, and C in case.

Threads such as this underline why Americans have become soft targets. The days of The Ugly American are long gone to become The Hated American. Go to Egypt but don't forget to take the bullseye target off your back.

Archived