Live from the Poesia.

papcx

Wanttocruisemore .... Leave it a few days onboard then go and get a print out and see if the figure stated is higher than what you were told if so ask why it is higher, it will be interesting to see if they do add the 15%.

There was one Major issue that stood out despite what has happened to Concordia the ship left Genova on the 11th November where they carried out a Muster drill informing passengers by public address, on the 12th having picked up passengers in Barcelona no announcements were made informing those passengers to attend a Muster drill that day because MSC had decided that it was enough to just print it on the daily paper expecting people to read it there and then! at least 100 passengers many who were 1st time cruisers did not attend and had to go the following day. No idea if other lines have adopted having the Emergancy lighting on continually but those on the Poesia were on night and day, the only ship we have been on where they take you to your assigned Lifeboat as part of the drill when it is held in a lounge or theatre.

I will be sure to do that, thanks. Ours is showing up on my cruise price when I log in so I will be sure to print and take with me. it does not have the 15% added on.

Finally worked out that we saved around 200 Euros by getting the drinks package, added up all the receipts and then added the 15% service charge ... then took away the cost of the package bought onboard that was 300 Euro each plus 45 Euro each service charge at 15% .. Total 690 Euro. So even paying a 15% service charge onboard we saved money... :D

Wanttocruisemore .... Leave it a few days onboard then go and get a print out and see if the figure stated is higher than what you were told if so ask why it is higher, it will be interesting to see if they do add the 15%.

There was one Major issue that stood out despite what has happened to Concordia the ship left Genova on the 11th November where they carried out a Muster drill informing passengers by public address, on the 12th having picked up passengers in Barcelona no announcements were made informing those passengers to attend a Muster drill that day because MSC had decided that it was enough to just print it on the daily paper expecting people to read it there and then! at least 100 passengers many who were 1st time cruisers did not attend and had to go the following day. No idea if other lines have adopted having the Emergancy lighting on continually but those on the Poesia were on night and day, the only ship we have been on where they take you to your assigned Lifeboat as part of the drill when it is held in a lounge or theatre.

As I stated in the live blog, I thought the muster drill was a little "underwhelming". Our meeting point was in the Zebra bar, but we weren't taken to our lifeboat!

After 5 weeks in drydock are there any major upgrades to the beautiful Poesia?

papcx .... not having seen the ship prior to drydock it is hard to know if anything was changed or moved,we did notice New carpet patches in some of the hallways which were various sizes,the floor tiles in our bathroom looked new also, the bottom of the ship has been repainted up to the waterline and some above. Those apart it was hard to tell what else had been done though i guess some could have been behind the scenes stuff. I guess the only way to tell would be to compare photos lol of before and after. We were puzzled by the sign for the Solarium which turned out to be just a sun deck!

AmoMondo ... The cruise went well although we did have 2 nights of rough seas though not together and one day of it, Poesia seemed to roll around a lot more than the other ships we have been on and became known as the Rock and Roll ship ... :) have to admit that 5 days at sea began to get a bit tedious which on a bigger ship with a bit more to do that i think would be cured. One thing we found to be a pain was having to go to the Zebra lounge on deck 6 in order to get Golf clubs,Tennis Raquets and board games or to the pool deck later in the cruise,these were not available between 12 and 3pm! the lounges were under utilised and there seemed to be just a small number of performers onboard the ship.

Most of the theatre shows were made up of dancers and themes that many people did not seem to get! along with 3 guys and 1 woman who were gymnasts/acrobats and the rest were opera which is great if you like opera.

The ship itself is very nice inside and well appointed and constantly cleaned day and night, the food was mostly good but not great apart from maybe 2 Dinners and the toast could have been used as floor tiles being so hard. On about the 3rd or 4th day one of the staff had been doing a snap poll of passengers in the Buffet regarding the food, the following day the chef`s were out, more waiters were around along with senior staff so i guess they got some bad reviews off those they asked.

If you are expecting announcements on Poesia you will be dissapointed, not once did the Captain or his staff say anything regarding sea conditions or make any sort of announcement when leaving ports,the only ship we have been on where non were made apart from one at 10 am each day by the Cruise Director who was only ever seen by us introducing the theatre show along with her assistant who we only ever saw in the theatre prior to the shows.

The staff were great and never had any reason to complain about anyone at all and they were never rude to anyone that we saw, the Animation team as they call themselves who do the onboard quiz and Zumba etc were also great and lead by an funny Italian guy named Claudio.

Yes we enjoyed the cruise and would book another with MSC but maybe not on the Poesia although a TA is probably totaly different on the ship to one of say 7 days in Europe or the Caribbean.

papcx ... Just had a look at the vids you had posted to see if our shows were the same as the ones you saw, did not look prior to our cruise just incase they were. At least 4 of them were the same show.

The buffet was not open late either despite being told prior to the cruise that it would be as per the new changes, on the 2nd Thursday evening they had a Buffet at 11-30pm including chocolate.

papcx ... Just had a look at the vids you had posted to see if our shows were the same as the ones you saw, did not look prior to our cruise just incase they were. At least 4 of them were the same show.

The buffet was not open late either despite being told prior to the cruise that it would be as per the new changes, on the 2nd Thursday evening they had a Buffet at 11-30pm including chocolate.

I can understand the theatre shows being the same. The acts probably sign up for 6 months, maybe a year.

It's just a shame the dancers aren't really that good IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Boys from the Bar Dei Poeti

dsc04797j.jpg

Julius, Norman and Kadek!

I miss them, I'm sure they're giving new cruisers a stunning experience, just as they did with us!

Edited by papcx

A quick question for you guys! Can we wear jeans on casual night in the dining room??? We have teens with us, and would like to know what to pack! We have suits and ties for formal nights, but what about the other nights???:confused:

Yes. Just back. My guys had no jeans with them but I saw all sort of clothes worn by guests for both casual and informal nights. just make sure that the jeans are not torn/worn, etc. New dark blue jeans would be best. any other questions, let me know. I will be posting a review soon as well as pics.

Just a note - 1st night embarkation day is "casual" and if you have 1st seating you may even see people in shorts. Our trip had the muster drill at 5pm people were still boarding at 4:30 doubt they had time to change into something better.

Did it look odd - alittle

Did they get turned away - didn't see any except one women in swimwear and nothing to cover up.

Edited by Wimpinthewater35

Yes. Just back. My guys had no jeans with them but I saw all sort of clothes worn by guests for both casual and informal nights. just make sure that the jeans are not torn/worn, etc. New dark blue jeans would be best. any other questions, let me know. I will be posting a review soon as well as pics.

Cruiser2B - Surely a name change is now needed!

Did you spend any time in the Bar Dei Poeti? Are the boys still there?

I need to book a cruise quickly. Can't get used to this "working".

Just a note - 1st night embarkation day is "casual" and if you have 1st seating you may even see people in shorts. Our trip had the muster drill at 5pm people were still boarding at 4:30 doubt they had time to change into something better.

Did it look odd - alittle

Did they get turned away - didn't see any except one women in swimwear and nothing to cover up.

There's always one isn't there? WhT on earth would possess someone to think that they could eat in a restaurant wearing only their swimming cossie? Also witnessed this myself, but it was a guy in his trunks and he got refused entry as well

Cruiser2B - Surely a name change is now needed!

Did you spend any time in the Bar Dei Poeti? Are the boys still there?

I need to book a cruise quickly. Can't get used to this "working".

Well I was thinking of changing my name but I will always be a cruiser to be. :)

I did not spend time in that bar except before dinner. Seemed nice but I could not say the boys were there. Only 1 person was behind bar each night. I will be a "cruiser to be" again when I book my 2014 motorcycle cruise. :)

Could anyone who's sailed on the Poesia since the Sept/Oct drydock comment on any of the changes.

Are all the facilities the same or is there anything new?

Cheers,

Sorry. First MSC cruise so cannot comment on any changes though I did see what appeared to be sections of replaced carpet.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Guys!

Check out the signature!

7 months till our next cruise.....Watch out for Live from the Musica!

Regards,

Enjoy!

What's your itinerary? Seems to be a bit of a gap in the UK site between the Norther Europe routes and then the Black Sea late in September.

Enjoy!

What's your itinerary? Seems to be a bit of a gap in the UK site between the Norther Europe routes and then the Black Sea late in September.

Yeah the MSC.co.uk website has a gap, and I can't find my cruise in the printed brouchure either. We booked through a TA.

Starts in Copenhagan on the 7th.

Keil on the 8th.

Day at sea.

Dover on the 10th (Where we join)

Day at sea.

Ferrol (Spain - I didn't know either) on the 12th.

Lisbon on the 13th.

Day at sea.

Malaga on the 15th.

Day at sea.

Tunis on the 17th.

Day at sea.

Dubrovnik on the 19th.

Finish in Venice on the 20th.

The Musica then starts a season of Black Sea cruises.

We, however will have 4 days in Venice :-)

Only 237 days. It'll fly by!

Yeah the MSC.co.uk website has a gap, and I can't find my cruise in the printed brouchure either. We booked through a TA.

Starts in Copenhagan on the 7th.

Keil on the 8th.

Day at sea.

Dover on the 10th (Where we join)

Day at sea.

Ferrol (Spain - I didn't know either) on the 12th.

Lisbon on the 13th.

Day at sea.

Malaga on the 15th.

Day at sea.

Tunis on the 17th.

Day at sea.

Dubrovnik on the 19th.

Finish in Venice on the 20th.

The Musica then starts a season of Black Sea cruises.

We, however will have 4 days in Venice :-)

Only 237 days. It'll fly by!

That's an interesting itinerary. I'm joint the ship a few weeks after you on it's Black Sea itinerary. Musica class ships are my favourite, so looking forward to being back on her.

That's an interesting itinerary. I'm joint the ship a few weeks after you on it's Black Sea itinerary. Musica class ships are my favourite, so looking forward to being back on her.

Yeah the Black Sea cruises look really interesting, we were looking at one on the Fantasia, I think it was.

Then I saw this re positioning at a steal, so we grabbed it. Only an inside this time, but we'll make do! Who knows, maybe the upgrade fairy will pay a visit?

Adding 4 days in Venice is like another holiday!

236 day and counting.

Cheers,