Mobility Scooters

simonpjd

Just a quick point - Disabled access cabins often cost more - You have to book a specific cabin, but if you book a GTY cabin you can save money (lots of money) - My mother requires a scooter as she is unable to walk distances, but not any facilities that come with a disabled cabin, We have traveled on PandO and stored a scooter inside our very small inside twin. It can be done. Are you saying that people should pay for extras they dont need because they are less able than others

I'm a bit confused by the previous post. P&O have stated that they are happy for the poster to cruise with them, but to do so they would have to book either a suite (expensive) or a disability cabin, which is the same cost as a normal cabin.

But the poster doesn't want to book a disability cabin because "dont wish to deprive a disabled passenger of a cabin who needs the disability facilities which my sister doesn’t need." But your sister does need some of the disability facilities, namely the ability to store her scooter in the cabin. So she should just book the cabin. Problem solved.

She doesn't need the other disability features, that's true. But then almost everyone who is disabled who books into a disability cabin doesn't need all of the disability features.

So I wonder, why doesn't she book a disability cabin as that provides what she needs?

----

The number of scooters onboard really can be an issue. On my last cruise there were several days when my steward apologised for not being able to clean my cabin because the corridors were blocked in both directions by multiple scooters parked in the corridor. If there had been an emergency requiring folks to go to muster stations then it would have been difficult for some people to get past the scooters to the staircases. I wouldn't have had a problem - I'd have used the crew stairs but others pax not familiar with the layout of the ship could get trapped...

VP

Just a quick point - Disabled access cabins often cost more - You have to book a specific cabin, but if you book a GTY cabin you can save money (lots of money) - My mother requires a scooter as she is unable to walk distances, but not any facilities that come with a disabled cabin, We have traveled on PandO and stored a scooter inside our very small inside twin. It can be done. Are you saying that people should pay for extras they dont need because they are less able than others

That's an interesting point. Have you tried phoning PandO and stating that you need a GTY cabin that is a disabled cabin? i.e. you aren't worried about which cabin it is but it must be suitable for someone who is disabled?

VP

Thomson have solved this dilemma. They do not allow mobility scooters or motorised wheelchairs.

I think I recall that there is a general requirement for disabled passengers to have carers?? If disabled people use wheelchairs, then their carers will be with them at all time - pushing the wheelchair:). Hence in the event of an emergency, they will have immediate assistance. However , a person on a self powered mobility scooter will probably be by definition getting around the ship unaided and possibly alone.

Perhaps Thomson's policy comes from an overarching safety consideration which will also be adopted by all the cruiselines eventually ?? I believe that this problem is just the tip of the iceberg - with a big wave of an aging population about to hit western countries. I have read in my country's newspapers about a veritable "epidemic" of dementia to come over the next 20 years -- we baby boomers, of course :o

Barry (aged 66 next week)

Perhaps Thomson's policy comes from an overarching safety consideration which will also be adopted by all the cruiselines eventually ?? I believe that this problem is just the tip of the iceberg - with a big wave of an aging population about to hit western countries. I have read in my country's newspapers about a veritable "epidemic" of dementia to come over the next 20 years -- we baby boomers, of course :o

I think it may be that Thomson ships are quite small. Some of the cabins are small too, so if the scooters were left in the corridors it would be a safety hazard.

When I was on the Celebrity Eclipse recently there was a wheelchair poking out into the corridor all the time we were on there. All it needed was the footrests removed and it would have been fine.:rolleyes:

I too am a baby boomer (nearly 64:D)

I think I recall that there is a general requirement for disabled passengers to have carers?? If disabled people use wheelchairs, then their carers will be with them at all time - pushing the wheelchair:). Hence in the event of an emergency, they will have immediate assistance. However , a person on a self powered mobility scooter will probably be by definition getting around the ship unaided and possibly alone.

Thomsons policy is probably as it is because of their older, smaller ships. Narrower passenger corridors and smaller lifts plus quite a few small changes of level compound the problem.

They do allow wheelchairs, but only for use off ship. Passengers have to use the ones provided while aboard. i presume this is because they have safety tested them.

funny thing is i have seen a passenger use a mobility scooter on a Thomson cruise, while ashore. the crew offloaded it for him, he walked down the stairs and then scooted off.

Davecctr is spot on - Thomson will carry a mobility scooter, and offload it, then a person can use it onshore. Onboard its a manual wheelchair only, due to size of cabins etc.

We had a great time on the spirit, and if mum needed any assistace then all we had to do is ask

Thomsons policy is probably as it is because of their older, smaller ships. Narrower passenger corridors and smaller lifts plus quite a few small changes of level compound the problem.

They do allow wheelchairs, but only for use off ship. Passengers have to use the ones provided while aboard. i presume this is because they have safety tested them.

funny thing is i have seen a passenger use a mobility scooter on a Thomson cruise, while ashore. the crew offloaded it for him, he walked down the stairs and then scooted off.

I know from previous experience on many different cruise ships that there are "always" one or two users of the mobility scooters that think they have the right to go and do whatever they want...many many times I've have my ankles knocked or foot run over with one and not one word of apology!

I've seen several drive into the doors at speed because the automatic doors don't open quick enough for them and they don't have the patience to wait on them opening.

As always, it's the one or two that spoil it for everyone else, I'm sure I'm not the only one that's witnessed events like these.

• 9 months later...

Oh dear, here we go again, Fat! - Lazy! these are assumptions even with an every day acquaintance of the person so described. Such descriptions have nothing to do with P&O's decision regarding mobility scooters on board their ships, a decision which has caused a dilemma for many scooter users looking to cruise with them.

I don't think they have got it right but failing a costly refit of some cabins (larger with wider doors) their options are limited although they could make larger cabins, where they exist, availableavaiable in addition to the more expensive suites.

The moral of this story is that if a particular P&O cruise is a "must have" book early! Otherwise go with another company

Sorry till I found how to post

Going on a 11 day cruise my husband needs a scooter any cheap scooter from ft lauderale

We justgotback fromacruise on the gem

Thanks cruise girl 53

Cruise girl 53,

You have strayed on to a British part of the site, in particular P&O. You need to find the part of the site which deals with your cruise line and then you will get information you need.

Have a great cruise when you go.

Gan Canny

Dai

Archived