Mobility Scooters

simonpjd

Does anyone know what the regulations are with regard to mobility scooters. They seem to be being used more and more often, often just by

lazy fat people.

On board these should not be left outside the cabins overnight as they would block the corridor and this is an emergency escape route (think theatres etc where nothing is allowed to block exits). But I have heard owner complaining about this as the cabins are barely large enough to fit a scooter inside.

I once witnessed the sight of 2 people in mobility scooters arguing about who has 'right of way' in a corridor that was only wide enough for one.

I feel that cruise companies really need to set rigid regulations about the number and use of these things.

Thoughts anyone.

They have!

As of (date unknown) people wishing to take a mobility scooter on board a P&O or Cunard ship have to have booked a disabled room.

There was considerable debate when it was announced - I will see if I can find the thread....

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1593901&highlight=mobility

Thank you for this. Just read through it with interest. It seems we never got an answer about how mobility scooter users get to the muster stations and lifeboats during an emergency. Tricky one that for the companies too.

Meanwhile I applaud P&O in their stance on this matter and hope it is copied across the industry. Amazingly there are very few of these on Fred O ships despite average age often being well over 90!

Not only the cruise companies setting the rules.

Each ship will be certified to carry a certain number of disabled people (based on how they can demonstrate suitable evacuation procedures).

When this limit is reached, no further disabled people can be carried.

Not only the cruise companies setting the rules.

Each ship will be certified to carry a certain number of disabled people (based on how they can demonstrate suitable evacuation procedures).

When this limit is reached, no further disabled people can be carried.

Hmm -- that also depends on the definition of "disabled". I have been on cruises where MANY of the passengers were not "disabled" - but who would be in great difficulty in the event of a real emergency (of the Costa Concordia proportions.)

I recently witnessed a very old fragile lady - leading her blind husband by hand, onto a violently rocking shore tender boat. It was an accident just waiting to happen - and one day it will. In this case, with much effort the tender crew managed - but we all held our breath.

Barry

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm after you have all quite finished, I am disabled and use a mobility scooter a small folding one. and I look quite well and yes I can walk thats why I use a scooter and not a wheel chair. But I have cardiomopthy (Heart Failure) why do I feel that I have to explain myself to people like you, with your ignorance, my scooter is always took back in my cabin. now if you dont under stand H/F it means if I walk to far My haert rate goes up and I cant breath and go into cardiac arrest so please dont judge me or the like.

Does anyone know what the regulations are with regard to mobility scooters. They seem to be being used more and more often, often just by

lazy fat people.

On board these should not be left outside the cabins overnight as they would block the corridor and this is an emergency escape route (think theatres etc where nothing is allowed to block exits). But I have heard owner complaining about this as the cabins are barely large enough to fit a scooter inside.

I once witnessed the sight of 2 people in mobility scooters arguing about who has 'right of way' in a corridor that was only wide enough for one.

I feel that cruise companies really need to set rigid regulations about the number and use of these things.

Thoughts anyone.

I think this is quite a disgusting post I am appalled by the attitudes of people on here about people with a disability.

It sounds as if those of us who are disabled should not be allowed to cruise.

Who are you going after next.

Dai

Hmm after you have all quite finished, I am disabled and use a mobility scooter a small folding one. and I look quite well and yes I can walk thats why I use a scooter and not a wheel chair. But I have cardiomopthy (Heart Failure) why do I feel that I have to explain myself to people like you, with your ignorance, my scooter is always took back in my cabin. now if you dont under stand H/F it means if I walk to far My haert rate goes up and I cant breath and go into cardiac arrest so please dont judge me or the like.

Dilated or Hypertrophic? I'm in the latter category..

I think the OP was more concerned with qty and location of storage and it seems P&O have taken a sensible step providing they don't start selling disabled cabins to people who don't need them!

I think the OP was more concerned with qty and location of storage and it seems P&O have taken a sensible step providing they don't start selling disabled cabins to people who don't need them!

Having used a scooter now for 5/6 years I do pay more attention to them around the ship. For the cruises I have been on I have never seen one parked outside a room late at night and I am a late night person. There is a problem with most cabins because of size but there are many cabins which will comfortably take a scooter and not necessarily a suite. Arcadia is the worst ship because the wardrobes are in the corridor as you enter the cabin and there is nowhere for a scooter to go.

What P&O should have done is to identify cabins on all ships as scooter friendly and those not instead of a blanket ban. There are some big inside cabins which will take a scooter easily but these are no longer available.

I have to say I agree fully about not selling adapted cabins to cruisers who do not need them and I would include me in that category. I will not book one as I can afford a suite and so carry on cruising. However if I could not afford a suite I would have to book an adapted cabin.

Dai ( still seething )

trophic

Hi Craig

Hypertropic (HMC) as you will know we look so well but are not

it runs in familys as you will know it is hereditary my brother died suddenly at the age of 37 from it and we never knew he had it. it annoys me that poeple judge and have no idea.

Julie

trophic

Hi Craig

Hypertropic (HMC) as you will know we look so well but are not

it runs in familys as you will know it is hereditary my brother died suddenly at the age of 37 from it and we never knew he had it. it annoys me that poeple judge and have no idea.

Julie

Yes, I know that so well.. Especially when I occasionally use the lifts rather than stairs, but I'm in permanent AF rhythm after several cardioversions so get some really bad days and then some good days. Anyhow off on a TA this weekend ;)

Take care,

Craig.

I don't think the OP suggested that all scooter users don't need them, and you have no need to explain yourself, I don't know why you think that. Leaving scooters, wheelchairs, or pushchairs in gangways are a danger and have to stopped, this is common sense. I am sure there is no witchhunt against the disabled, but safety issues must be addressed. I had my bowel removed and am classed as "disabled", but to anyones eyes I am perfectly healthy, I have to have a disabled key to toilets as I need a toilet with a sink in it, you want to see the looks I get when I emerge from a disabled toilet, I have even had a comments passed about me using them, so I understand it is difficult for many people to understand a disability if they can't see it. So I say to all disabled people carry on cruising, but please don't forget to consider the safety aspects of using whatever mobility aid you need.;) Phil

Well I started this thread and obviously upset a few people. If so I apologise - but everyone who has answered genuinely needs a scooter and understands their use. And I have no problem with that. I do worry about how a genuinely disabled passenger would get to the lifeboats when the lifts would be out of use.

Since the original post I have booked a P&O cruise - and I was asked specifically about my health and whether I would be using a scooter. And it was explained that now (not sure when this came in force) passengers with a scooter must use one of the adapted cabins or a suite so there is room for the scooter inside.

I am guessing this will lead to there being fewer scooters on board and maybe some not very happy would be passengers, but this seems a very sensible way to go.

Well I started this thread and obviously upset a few people. If so I apologise - but everyone who has answered genuinely needs a scooter and understands their use. And I have no problem with that. I do worry about how a genuinely disabled passenger would get to the lifeboats when the lifts would be out of use.

Since the original post I have booked a P&O cruise - and I was asked specifically about my health and whether I would be using a scooter. And it was explained that now (not sure when this came in force) passengers with a scooter must use one of the adapted cabins or a suite so there is room for the scooter inside.

I am guessing this will lead to there being fewer scooters on board and maybe some not very happy would be passengers, but this seems a very sensible way to go.

Hi, I don't think you need to apologise for anything, you raised a valid point about the safety aspect of things left outside cabins and partially blocking gangways. I too have often wondered how anyone with a physical disability would manage in an emergency, but have always thought that this would have been considered by the passenger themselves and the cruise company. I don't believe for one minute that any passenger would put themselves or others in in danger. Phil

Hi, I don't think you need to apologise for anything, you raised a valid point about the safety aspect of things left outside cabins and partially blocking gangways. I too have often wondered how anyone with a physical disability would manage in an emergency, but have always thought that this would have been considered by the passenger themselves and the cruise company. I don't believe for one minute that any passenger would put themselves or others in in danger. Phil

Sorry the apology is totally needed as the first post was totally out of order. Read the first sentence!:mad:

A full apology is needed.

The tenor of the first post was that disabled people should not cruise at all because they were a nuisance. You are continuing in that thread.

Disgusted:mad:

Dai

Sorry the apology is totally needed as the first post was totally out of order. Read the first sentence!:mad:

A full apology is needed.

The tenor of the first post was that disabled people should not cruise at all because they were a nuisance. You are continuing in that thread.

Disgusted:mad:

Dai

Please point me to the post I have made that deserves that last sentence of yours, I consider that everything I have posted is fair and unbiased. It has come to a sorry state of affairs when it is not possible to raise genuine concerns without the sort of unsubstantiated and unjust remarks made by you concerning myself. I have re-read the first sentence as directed by yourself "Does anyone know what the regulations are with regard to mobility scooters." I really fail to understand how that can be interpreted to mean disabled people should't cruise at all. I can only suggest that you are reading into posts things are not there. I won't ask for an apology for your totally offensive remark, as having lived with and cared for a handicapped son for over 40 years I can let things like this slide over my head. Phil

Please point me to the post I have made that deserves that last sentence of yours, I consider that everything I have posted is fair and unbiased. It has come to a sorry state of affairs when it is not possible to raise genuine concerns without the sort of unsubstantiated and unjust remarks made by you concerning myself. I have re-read the first sentence as directed by yourself "Does anyone know what the regulations are with regard to mobility scooters." I really fail to understand how that can be interpreted to mean disabled people should't cruise at all. I can only suggest that you are reading into posts things are not there. I won't ask for an apology for your totally offensive remark, as having lived with and cared for a handicapped son for over 40 years I can let things like this slide over my head. Phil

My disgust is with the first post which I will not repeat it shows total contempt for disabled people.

I was not asking you to apologise.

My anger is with him not you. I am disappointed that you should carry on this discussion saying that he has no need to apologise, especially now as I learn of your circumstances.

Dai

They seem to be being used more and more often, often just by

lazy fat people.

I have no problem re showing this post but the person that wrote it should be ashamed.

craw

Let me tell you I am 54 years and worked all my life so how dare anybody refer to people that are l disabled are lazy if they are disabled end of, and as for some one being over weight,what issue is that of anybody's your the sort of person that would say that we wernt allowed in the life boat but you would be first in crawl from where you came and hang your head in shame:mad:

lazy fat people.

Thoughts anyone.

I think this post is referring to the growing trend of "NON DISABLED" people using these scooters for convenience opposed to necesity. Its a world wide situation and I believe some governments are considering bringing in laws to govern their use by some people. I know of incidents in land based clubs that have hit the news over people using them like dodgem cars and getting into fights and knocking people over with them.

Also I have seen first hand some people do leave them outside cabins, the stewards cant get the trolley past and it blocks the pasegeway for other passengers. When a complaint is made the owner cries fowl that they have no room in their cabin. Simple answer buy a disabled cabin or dont cruise if you cant follow the rules.

Cruise lines have disable cabins for a reason, they know where they are and are in easy access to evacuation points in the event of an emergency. These cabins are only sold for truely disabled passegers. I think the original poster is right that these scooters should only be used by those who need them.

Disabled take notice - dont get offended - but seriously how would you like to have restrictions placed on you based on the inconsiderate actions of people using these scooters who really dont need them at all.

That is the point of the original poster as I see it.

I think this post is referring to the growing trend of "NON DISABLED" people using these scooters for convenience opposed to necesity. Its a world wide situation and I believe some governments are considering bringing in laws to govern their use by some people. I know of incidents in land based clubs that have hit the news over people using them like dodgem cars and getting into fights and knocking people over with them.

Also I have seen first hand some people do leave them outside cabins, the stewards cant get the trolley past and it blocks the pasegeway for other passengers. When a complaint is made the owner cries fowl that they have no room in their cabin. Simple answer buy a disabled cabin or dont cruise if you cant follow the rules.

Cruise lines have disable cabins for a reason, they know where they are and are in easy access to evacuation points in the event of an emergency. These cabins are only sold for truely disabled passegers. I think the original poster is right that these scooters should only be used by those who need them.

Disabled take notice - dont get offended - but seriously how would you like to have restrictions placed on you based on the inconsiderate actions of people using these scooters who really dont need them at all.

No he was being offensive. This is not the major problem you portray.

Dai

The vast majority of scooter users no doubt are genuine, but on one cruise i saw a woman who was perfectly mobile and in Shanghai was dancing and jumping about. However, when it came to disembarkation day she became wheelchair bound, gave sorrowfull looks to other passengers and was fast tracked through by ship staff, while we looked on in amazement.

Genuine users, no problem, i would not like to be disabled myself. Scammers give everyone a bad name.

NOW let's talk about the abuse of blue badge holders in our High Streets!!!!!

I'm sorry i do not agree, he was offensive and judgmental, and I aways pay for a disabled cabin C303 on my next cruise, for those who would like to check, my other point is I look very well nothing wronge with me you would think why is she using a scooter I HATE USING because of what people think like the first post, well as pointed out on my other post I have cardiompothy another name for it is( drop dead syndrome) as this happend to my brother at 37 and left 4 children I will carry on with the scooter like of not it help to keep me ALIVE

I have read with interest peoples views on this topic.

My sister has MS and requires a scooter for mobility as only her legs are affected but she doesnt need a disability equipped cabin.

We have cruised before in standard cabins and she has previously used a foldup wheelchair, however her 65 year old husband has found the physical aspect of pushing his wife around ever more daunting as he gets older so they purchased a fold up scooter which fits into the boot of a car.

Today I tried to book 2 cabins via P&O for my disabled sister & husband and one for ourselves on a 2013 June cruise and a Caribbean cruise but was told that I must book either a disability cabin or a suite for my sister. They cant afford a suite and we dont wish to deprive a disabled passenger of a cabin who needs the disability facilities which my sister doesn’t need. Also we prefer to be in cabins next to each other and outside the central lifts.

Because of the new scooter policy all of our holiday plans has gone to 'raspberry juice' simply because P&O refuse to take into account that the scooter we wish to take will fold up and easily enter the cabin for storage exactly the same as the foldup wheelchair did and which they will still allow in any cabin. They cant make this decision they seem to be saying, of the suitability of any given scooter to be able to be stored in a cabin, because there are too many different brands of scooter for them to be able to decide what is suitable and what isnt. Sorry, we dont accept that. Its rubbish and P&O could assess it by asking pertinent questions of the scooter owner in relation to the scooter specification ( exactly as they do at the moment if you take a foldup wheelchair) OR oversee the type and specification of scooters offered by the company that currently supplies on board scooters for hire.

P&O could more effectively control what they perceive as a scooter difficulty by ensuring that passengers such as my sister must book one of the 'Mobility At Sea' scooters from the same company that currently provide this service onboard P&O ships. P&O could clearly oversee this aspect of the provision of suitable scooters by using their veto of refusing the 'Mobility At Sea' company access to their ships if they dont comply. We would in fact prefer to hire such a scooter and have it waiting for us in our cabin and collected from us say in the foyer of the Ocean Terminal or the car park at the end of the cruise.

Alternatively, if the ease that people can now hire these scooters on board is seen as the ‘cause’ of the ever increasing use of scooters by the ‘lazy, fat passenger’ ( disgraceful description) then P&O should restrict the hiring of scooters unless a passenger provides some medical evidence of the need to use one such as mobility entitlement or a Doctors letter.

I'm afraid that despite what P&O try to maintain and the 'we cant do this excuse' they are trying to put forward re their inability to make a decision on appropriate or none appropriate private scooters, they are blatantly discriminating against prospective disabled passengers and they should be taken to task over this discrimination. This saga is raising serious questions in my mind like ‘they don’t seem to want disabled passengers on their ships and this is a way of restricting them’ but wont say it for obvious political reasons. Is this the thin end of a wedge for restricting disabled scooter use in shops, theatres, trains, buses etc ?.

As it is, our cruising days are over directly as a result of this discriminatory policy they have introduced. We will look toward a less discriminative type of land based holiday.

I'm a bit confused by the previous post. P&O have stated that they are happy for the poster to cruise with them, but to do so they would have to book either a suite (expensive) or a disability cabin, which is the same cost as a normal cabin.

But the poster doesn't want to book a disability cabin because "dont wish to deprive a disabled passenger of a cabin who needs the disability facilities which my sister doesn’t need." But your sister does need some of the disability facilities, namely the ability to store her scooter in the cabin. So she should just book the cabin. Problem solved.

She doesn't need the other disability features, that's true. But then almost everyone who is disabled who books into a disability cabin doesn't need all of the disability features.

So I wonder, why doesn't she book a disability cabin as that provides what she needs?

----

The number of scooters onboard really can be an issue. On my last cruise there were several days when my steward apologised for not being able to clean my cabin because the corridors were blocked in both directions by multiple scooters parked in the corridor. If there had been an emergency requiring folks to go to muster stations then it would have been difficult for some people to get past the scooters to the staircases. I wouldn't have had a problem - I'd have used the crew stairs but others pax not familiar with the layout of the ship could get trapped...

VP

My wife uses a wheelchair virtually 100% outside the cabin and also needs the accessibility features in the bathroom, and I have previously expressed our concerns about P&O's new policy which I believe will lead to fewer AC cabins available to genuine users.

We recently sailed on Celebrity's Eclipse from Southampton and a number of large scooters were left in the lift foyers, these foyers are quite large and the scooters did not appear to be a hazard. There were also some parked in the corridor vestibules (all cabin doors are recessed on Solstice class ships) and again these did not block the corridors. However Celebrity's rules do state that this is not permitted but we saw no action taken by the staff. Possibly they all follow my mantra, see my signature below.

As for the comments about able bodied users of scooters, I doubt this is a major issue, it is just too much trouble to take a scooter on hoilday unless you really need one.

The final comment about how truly HC passengers get to the muster station in a real emergency. Well if you are HC and cannot use stairs, or travelling with someone who is, then you make certain you check with guest relations (Purser), and you will be advised that you need to report to the staircase staff and they will arrange a special stairchair for you to be taken to the muster station. I just hope that if simonpjd happens to be on the same cruise, that we do not get in his way as he pushes past us to the lifeboat. :mad:

Archived