Noise in cabins - something I looked into

excitedofharpenden

OK, those who know my posts here will have heard me talk of noisy cabins before (see my review of Eclipse cabin 2129 to give you a flavour). I freely admit I am a pain about it. My hearing is very sensitive and once I have heard that noise I just lie there waiting for the encore. Can't get back to sleep.

I have read here before about white noise machines, but haven't really taken much notice. I thought I'd do a Google search and found you can buy gadgets that create a background sound that can drown out noise from elsewhere. As someone who sleeps with an air conditioning unit in the bedroom that makes quite a hum, but doesn't disturb me I suddenly had a thought that rather than buying a machine perhaps there are iPad/Pod applications for it. There's quite a few and yesterday I downloaded Sleep Pillow Pro which has MANY sounds from the sound of birds to electric fans and the hiss you get in an aircraft.

I tried it out last night and with the window open today and with much talking from the builders in the garden next door it completely drowns them out. I'm really looking forward to giving it a go on the next cruise. There's even a sound that is the same as the wind if you'd left your balcony door open.:cool:

I just wanted to share this with others who may have had noise issues in their cabin. If you are not fully aware of "white noise machines" Google it for more information.

Phil

That's interesting, Phil. Do you just place the gadget under your pillow or do you have to wear ear pods? I'm glad you found something that works for you! Maybe slamming doors won't be an issue anymore. :rolleyes: :D

Garry

Thanks Phil that is a great app. I have been using my iPod and setting the timer on a lecture - it puts me to or back to sleep. This is great with the phone so I wouldn't have to sleep with the blasted earphones in my ears! It wiil be useful to drown out those creaky cabin noises you sometimes get in high winds.

Sue

We downloaded an app called White Noise more than a year ago and love it, no more having lug the noise machine around with us. Our favorite sound is called Stream Water Flowing.

Just a caution, we've still had noise issues on ships. These sounds are good, but they are not going to keep out all noise, for instance being under the swinging door in the Aqua Spa Cafe at 6:00 am on Solstice class ships.

Family friends used this for their little one who would come to visit and get all wound up and cranky and needed a quick nap in order to re-energize. Her Dad would cuddle her and turn on just that - some nice restful background sounds that he had downloaded on his phone and she would fall off to sleep for her power nap....the wonders of technology.

Family friends used this for their little one who would come to visit and get all wound up and cranky and needed a quick nap in order to re-energize. Her Dad would cuddle her and turn on just that - some nice restful background sounds that he had downloaded on his phone and she would fall off to sleep for her power nap....the wonders of technology.

They have three options for babies too. Very neat. From the app page:

ju2yse8a.jpg

Phil

As someone who also needs a little something to block out background noise (we use a fan or sound machine at home), I had never thought about an iPad app. Now I do not have to drag the sounds machine along, and take up that space in my luggage. I bring my iPad anyway so one less thing to remember.

Thanks

Is there an app to block out snoring from your DH? My DH and I have had separate bedrooms for some time now because he is a heavy snorer. We took our first cruise earlier this year and I had a difficult time falling asleep each night. I am considering buying noise cancelling headphones for our upcoming cruise but maybe this app would be a better choice. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Try a pair of noise reducing head phones. We have Bose but I am sure there are other less expensive manufacturers. They are fantastic. Just put them on and flip the switch and all noise is blocked out. They sound great with music too. :)

Try a pair of noise reducing head phones. We have Bose but I am sure there are other less expensive manufacturers. They are fantastic. Just put them on and flip the switch and all noise is blocked out. They sound great with music too. :)

Just curious - how do you sleep wearing head phones? Seems to me that it would be horribly uncomfortable unless you always sleep only on your back.

Just curious - how do you sleep wearing head phones? Seems to me that it would be horribly uncomfortable unless you always sleep only on your back.

Agreed - even the little iPod earbuds are really uncomfortable when you lay on your side and when you take one out to be more comfortable you get tangled in the cord.:)

Forget Bose Noise Cancelling headphones for me whilst I sleep. Great for flying. No good for when I have my head on the pillow. I'm fortunate that I sleep exclusively on my left side or back so I can put an earbud in the right ear with no problems. Except I'm not sure how good it is for you to have something stuck in your ear for long periods. If I can I favour the iPad on their pillow next to me or a docking station on the dressing table.

I can't answer the question of the other half snoring. I have a friend who downloaded the app today and her husband snores like a trooper. Perhaps she can chime in when she has tried it. Otherwise if this doesn't work, a CPAP machine for DH maybe?

Phil

Is there an app to block out snoring from your DH? My DH and I have had separate bedrooms for some time now because he is a heavy snorer.

cheriberi,

I know this won't answer your question, but has your husband been tested for sleep apnea? My DH was a VERY loud snorer, and about 15 years ago, after I threatened to never take a vacation w/him again, was tested for sleep apnea. His was very bad, but has been on a c-pap machine since, so he hardly ever snores now.

Sleep apnea can be quite hazardous to one's health, so it may be something he should see his doctor about.

I have the White Noise app on my iPad but have never actually used it. It is good to know it does work though. Might be worth trying the free version first and if that doesn't work for you try the one the OP recommended.

I actually use ear plugs for drowning out my husband's snoring so if they can work for that any other noise must be covered;). Perhaps I should make sure the cruisers on either side have the app downloaded though(or give some complimentary ear plugs out)!!!:rolleyes:

cheriberi,

I know this won't answer your question, but has your husband been tested for sleep apnea? My DH was a VERY loud snorer, and about 15 years ago, after I threatened to never take a vacation w/him again, was tested for sleep apnea. His was very bad, but has been on a c-pap machine since, so he hardly ever snores now.

Sleep apnea can be quite hazardous to one's health, so it may be something he should see his doctor about.

NelleS, my DH has not been tested for sleep apnea, but I think he should be. It is almost impossible to get him to go to the doctor for anything, but I am going to strongly encourage him. Thanks for the info.

OK, those who know my posts here will have heard me talk of noisy cabins before (see my review of Eclipse cabin 2129 to give you a flavour). I freely admit I am a pain about it. My hearing is very sensitive and once I have heard that noise I just lie there waiting for the encore. Can't get back to sleep.

I have read here before about white noise machines, but haven't really taken much notice. I thought I'd do a Google search and found you can buy gadgets that create a background sound that can drown out noise from elsewhere. As someone who sleeps with an air conditioning unit in the bedroom that makes quite a hum, but doesn't disturb me I suddenly had a thought that rather than buying a machine perhaps there are iPad/Pod applications for it. There's quite a few and yesterday I downloaded Sleep Pillow Pro which has MANY sounds from the sound of birds to electric fans and the hiss you get in an aircraft.

I tried it out last night and with the window open today and with much talking from the builders in the garden next door it completely drowns them out. I'm really looking forward to giving it a go on the next cruise. There's even a sound that is the same as the wind if you'd left your balcony door open.:cool:

I just wanted to share this with others who may have had noise issues in their cabin. If you are not fully aware of "white noise machines" Google it for more information.

Phil

thank you so much! I usually sleep with the TV on when on the ship or away from home, but the light from it annoys my husband and often wakes me up in the middle of the night. I just downloaded the app for my Ipad. It will be perfect for our Nov. TA.

Thank you Phil this is a great app, I suffer from tinnitus and it is not easy to cart my sound machine round with me all the time, this is perfect as I always have my iPad with me.

I love the great selection of sounds and I will use it lots. Wow who would have thought CC would help me out with sleeping! I am travelling up to York next week to visit my sister and sailing on the reflection next month, no worries about leaving my music behind now. Best app ever, even more choices of sounds than my expensive sleep machine.

Is there an app to block out snoring from your DH? My DH and I have had separate bedrooms for some time now because he is a heavy snorer. We took our first cruise earlier this year and I had a difficult time falling asleep each night. I am considering buying noise cancelling headphones for our upcoming cruise but maybe this app would be a better choice. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I literally had to drug myself to be able to sleep in the same room with my boyfriend during our first year vacation. I made he go get tested for sleep apnea - he was stopping breathing 30 times AN HOUR. He has been on CPAP ever since. Sometimes his machine keeps me up - but nowhere near as much as his snoring did. I've been able to not drug myself on vacation and therefore am a bit happier and less sluggish. I was taking ambien and it definitely built up in my system and just made me feel awful.

Thank you so much. I'm so glad I found this thread. I have just downloaded the app on the strength of all your recommendations.

On my next cruise I have been assigned a room just under the spa. I hate to think what noises I might hear if there is a treadmill just above my head. I will accept anything that helps with my sleep.

I'm so glad you all posted about noise machines. I ALWAYS travel with a noise machine and some times a small fan (for the noise). I've just downloaded the white noise app for my iphone and will definitely save room in my luggage! Now if I can just find an electrical outlet near my head, I'll be fixed up!! ;)

Archived