2 extra days prior to cruisetour - where to stay

dawn.glenn@ns.sympatico.c

Hello,

My DH and I are doing an alaskan cruisetour in Aug 2013. Our tour starts on Monday and it now looks like we might be flying into anchorage on Friday before. Here are our two options:

1) Fly into Anchorage on Friday, pick up rental car, get a room for 1 night. Next day explore anchorage a bit then drive up to Mantanuska Glacier. Get a room there somewhere. Some have already suggested a few options, one being Sheep Mountain Lodge. Next morning do Glacier Trek and drive slowly back to Anchorage taking in Hatcher's Pass etc. Drop off rental car and go to Captain Cook Hotel which is included in our Cruisetour. Tour starts the next day. If we go with this option where is a good but reasonably priced place to stay in Anchorage.

2) Fly into Anchorage on Friday, pick up rental car, get a room for 2 nights and explore Sat and Sun but using Anchorage as our base. If we did this, again need a good resonably priced place to stay in Anchorage. Sunday night we would again move to the Captain Cook which is included in our Cruisetour.

Help!

Tahnks!

Hello,

My DH and I are doing an alaskan cruisetour in Aug 2013. Our tour starts on Monday and it now looks like we might be flying into anchorage on Friday before. Here are our two options:

1) Fly into Anchorage on Friday, pick up rental car, get a room for 1 night. Next day explore anchorage a bit then drive up to Mantanuska Glacier. Get a room there somewhere. Some have already suggested a few options, one being Sheep Mountain Lodge. Next morning do Glacier Trek and drive slowly back to Anchorage taking in Hatcher's Pass etc. Drop off rental car and go to Captain Cook Hotel which is included in our Cruisetour. Tour starts the next day. If we go with this option where is a good but reasonably priced place to stay in Anchorage.

2) Fly into Anchorage on Friday, pick up rental car, get a room for 2 nights and explore Sat and Sun but using Anchorage as our base. If we did this, again need a good resonably priced place to stay in Anchorage. Sunday night we would again move to the Captain Cook which is included in our Cruisetour.

Help!

Tahnks!

Why not just book the Captain Cook. It gets pretty good reviews, and I think it looks like an okay place. Why do have to stay somewhere else?

I don't recall if you've posted what time you arrive in Anchorage, but yet a 3rd possible option is:

Friday...pick up rental car, drive to Palmer/Wasilla (about an hour) area to check into hotel or B&B for 2 nights.

Saturday...explore Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine area, and whatever else tickles your fancy.

Sunday...Matanuska Glacier Hike and whatever you didn't get done Saturday that you wanted to do in the area; return to Anchorage.

Although you can do Hatcher Pass/Matanuska Glacier in one day, it makes for a long day. We had 2 cousins visit in August, and in one 11-12 hour day, here is what we did...

Leave house (in Wasilla), gas up, head out of town to Independence Mine about 11 am (late start due to this being the end of their very busy week in southcentral Alaska). Quick walk around, head to Matanuska Glacier. Quick walk on the glacier (they just wanted to stand on a glacier), then to Sheep Mountain Lodge for dinner. Drive up to Eureka (just a little further up the road) to drop in on son-in-law who is camping there to go caribou hunting, visit for a few minutes. Head back to Wasilla, but since it was nearly sunset, take a back road in the Sutton area to a mountain overlook to look for moose. We had a spotting scope and 2 excellent pairs of binoculars...we watched about 25 moose come out and browse the various meadows for about an hour. Head back home, and arrive their sometime between 10 and 11 pm.

Now I know that we did 2 things you wouldn't, but you are doing an actual guided trek on the glacier, correct? And the time we spent at the mine was the least we have ever spent there. So our extra activities would be a wash as far as time goes. And then add in another hour to get back to Anchorage.

Sheep Mt is about it in that area. I would also only recommend the longest available trek, I usually go private, since these treks can only go along as fast as the slowest person. :) You will only be able to drive Hatcher Pass to the mine with most rental cars. IF you plan on Independence Mine to Willow- then you need to have an approved car- and more time.

As an alternative, since you aren't against going on your own with a rental car- your overall time may be better used with out a cruisetour. You wouldn't have to be back tracking back to Anchorage and can easily continue to Denali Park and Talkeetan at your own pace. It is of significant advantage to have your own car at Denali. Just a thought.

I was hoping that someone who has stayed at the Captain Cook recently would comment on it. It has been at least fifteen years since I've stayed there. Not only is the Captain Cook not a cheap hotel it is over rated in my opinion. While I love Fletchers (and think it is one of the best kept secrets in Anchorage) and also love the breakfasts in the coffee shop, the rooms and bathrooms tend to be small, there is not coffee maker in the rooms (at least the last time we stayed there) and they charge quite a bit for parking (which the last time we stayed there was not included in the room charge).

Other downtown large hotels include the Marriott (I last stayed there in 2011) and the Hilton. The Sheraton is a little farther out but still downtown. For years when in Anchorage on business I stayed at the Voyager (a small boutique hotel across from the Captain Cook). But if the OP is looking for one night to crash after arriving, doesn't have any particular need to be downtown, and has a car then they might consider a bed and breakfast or one of the national chains (ie a Hampton Inn).

If you get in late you might consider a hotel near the airport. Most have shuttle service and you could pick up your car the next morning. They tend to be a little less expensive than downtown too. I too think the Cook is a bit over rated although they have done some nice upgrades to the rooms.

I'm bad, I was thinking the Captain Cook was the hotel right by the train station, BUT IT ISN'T. Try the Ship Creek Inn. Not sure what the rates are, but it's a Comfort Inn. Really looked quite nice, right across from the train station. We saw it, but HAL put us up at the Hilton.

Sheep Mt is about it in that area. I would also only recommend the longest available trek, I usually go private, since these treks can only go along as fast as the slowest person.

Last summer we stayed at the Sheep Mountain Lodge after our day with NOVA and loved the area and our little cabin. For next summer, I tried to make a reservation again at Sheep Mountain, but a group had reserved all the cabins on the date that I wanted so they recommended the Tundra Rose Guest Cottages. Here is a link to reviews for them on TripAdvisor..

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1655683-d72387-Reviews-Tundra_Rose_Guest_Cottages-Glacier_View_Alaska.html

I think we will be just fine there too.

p.s. we loved our day at the Matanuska Glacier and on the Matanuska River, so I highly recommend it if you are still considering going there!

We did our own "cruisetour" option and were in and out of Anchorage between doing Seward and Kenai Fiords and Denali. We discovered the Inlet Tower on L street and negotiated a multi-day discount with them. It's not posh, but it's clean and very adequate. We were at or under $100 per day, but we were in September shoulder season, so your mileage may vary.

Sheep Mt is about it in that area. I would also only recommend the longest available trek, I usually go private, since these treks can only go along as fast as the slowest person. :) You will only be able to drive Hatcher Pass to the mine with most rental cars. IF you plan on Independence Mine to Willow- then you need to have an approved car- and more time.

As an alternative, since you aren't against going on your own with a rental car- your overall time may be better used with out a cruisetour. You wouldn't have to be back tracking back to Anchorage and can easily continue to Denali Park and Talkeetan at your own pace. It is of significant advantage to have your own car at Denali. Just a thought.

Budget queen, I did not see anything about private tours on mica website...do you go private with mica or another company? How far is it from independence mine to willow? Is the scenaryio on the dirt road superior to the paved portion? Can you suggest a car rental companies that allows dirt roads?

I think we have decided to pick out car up the day we fly in around 2pm and drive to the sheep mountain area. The next morning we will do our glacier hike then make our way back to anchorage taking in hatches pass. We can then explore anchorage the next morning before meeting the others in our group who will arrive in anchorage that afternoon. How far is it out to independence mine from main road?

Or........first night at tundra rose cottages area, glacier trek in the morning and whatever else then head back to Hatcher pass area and stay there maybe at Hatcher pass bed and breakfast and do Hatcher pass and independent mine next morning before driving back to anchorage and just spend less time in the city. Oh gosh why are there so many decisions lol. Thoughts guys???? Sorry for being so indecisive!!!!!!

Final decision is made.

Will pick up rental once we land in Anchorage and drive right to the Mantanuska area. Looking at either Sheep Mountain Lodge or Tundra Rose Cottages. Will relax that evening. The next morning we will do the Glacier Trekk then take our time and make our way back to Palmer stopping as we please. That night we will stay in the Palmer area...any suggestions as to where?? The next morning we will take our time and do Hatchers Pass and whatever else we see. Once we are done we will head back to Anchorage. If we have time we may make a stop at the Alaska State Fair. Maybe go there in the evening when we arrive in Palmer area after doing Glacier Trek in the morning. So.....thanks for all your advice! All I need to do now is determine where exactely we will stay in each area and book it :)

For those of you who stayed at Sheep Mountain Lodge - I understand the owners an Iditarod Kennel - do they let you see the dogs etc while staying at sheep mountain?

About 15 miles west of Palmer (right on the Glen Highway) there is the Alpine Historical Village. The community of Sutton has moved many turn of the century buildings to this site to show the industrial side of Alaska that they tried to establish. (coal refining) It did not work for them. FDR used CCC money to establish a community in Alaska.

It was free and an interesting 1/2 hour visit on our way back from the Matanuska Glacier.

The tent frames:

12.jpg

11-1.jpg

Where they tried to "wash" the coal.

P9110038_zps6828c07d.jpg

Final decision is made.

For those of you who stayed at Sheep Mountain Lodge - I understand the owners an Iditarod Kennel - do they let you see the dogs etc while staying at sheep mountain?

The kennel is close to the entrance from the road to the parking lot. We did not ask to visit the dogs --not sure that you can-- but they are easily visible.

Budget queen, I did not see anything about private tours on mica website...do you go private with mica or another company? How far is it from independence mine to willow? Is the scenaryio on the dirt road superior to the paved portion? Can you suggest a car rental companies that allows dirt roads?

I think we have decided to pick out car up the day we fly in around 2pm and drive to the sheep mountain area. The next morning we will do our glacier hike then make our way back to anchorage taking in hatches pass. We can then explore anchorage the next morning before meeting the others in our group who will arrive in anchorage that afternoon. How far is it out to independence mine from main road?

I arranged a private guide direct with MICA. I have also gone with Nova. Both well run.

You need to figure on 20 mph Independence Mine to Willow, 30 miles. You need to verify directly with car rentals if this is allowed. None of the major companies that I know of. There are serveral independents out of Anchorage. BEFORE you leave the lot, photograph all areas of the car, especially inspect the windshield.

If you are looking at glaicer trekking and doing Independence Mine and Hatcher Pass in the same day, you may be underestimating time. I woud stay out trekking as long as you can get. I don't plan on less than 5 hours for my treks.

Final decision is made.

Will pick up rental once we land in Anchorage and drive right to the Mantanuska area. Looking at either Sheep Mountain Lodge or Tundra Rose Cottages. Will relax that evening. The next morning we will do the Glacier Trekk then take our time and make our way back to Palmer stopping as we please. That night we will stay in the Palmer area...any suggestions as to where?? The next morning we will take our time and do Hatchers Pass and whatever else we see. Once we are done we will head back to Anchorage. If we have time we may make a stop at the Alaska State Fair. Maybe go there in the evening when we arrive in Palmer area after doing Glacier Trek in the morning. So.....thanks for all your advice! All I need to do now is determine where exactely we will stay in each area and book it :)

quote]

Much better plan!

Several of our friends have stayed here and loved it:

http://www.pioneerridge.com/gallery.php

Thanks. We are definatley going to take the two days to do all this. Budget Queen - you've been such a great help! I'm going to contact MICA Guides and inquire about a private trek. The Glacier Trek has been the one thing that has intriged me since we started planning our trip. It has been on the top of my "must do" list all along. Then..........last night I had a dream that I fell in a crevase....I woke up wondering if I still wanted to do this. lol it was pretty scary...

I stayed at Homestead Guest Cabins (www.homesteadcabinsak.com ) this summer before my glacier trek and was really impressed. They are located just a mile or 2 from the Mica guides HQ. We stayed there the night before then had a late lunch at Sheep Mtn Lodge after the trek. We also stayed at Pioneer Ridge B& B in Wasilla ( www.pioneerridge.com ). I would highly reccomend both of these!

Elizabeth

There is an avis car rental place about eight blocks from the captain cook.....is that the closest one or is there one closer??? Looking for the best route to take when picking rental up at the airport and returning in downtown then walking to the captain cook.I believe the best bet is avis???

Archived