Asia

Jim Avery

See the Asia itineraries and brochures are now up on the public web site. We have not been to Asia together in 10 years. Given the cost and time of the flights over and back it really must be a two week trip or longer, so plan ahead. We are doing so by reserving the Hong Kong to Singapore trip in March 2014. I did a land trip to Vietnam with a buddy four years ago and truly loved it. Have always wanted to return with my wife and this is an excellent itinerary to do so. While it is a bit of a ways away the stop in northern Vietnam will no doubt permit a day trip to Hanoi. The other stops down the coast will hit the major sights as well, including Hoi An, an amazing fishing village that has stayed the same for centuries except for occasional floods but it always bounces right back. There is an overnight in Saigon. Ending in Singapore and starting in Hong Kong means lots of airline and flight options from anywhere in the world. Hope to see you all!

You know, I've never been that interested in going to Asia before, but I have to admit my curiosity is piqued. It just costs so much to get to Asia and takes so long... My substantial behind can't take 24 hours + on a plane and I sure wouldn't want to pay airfare equivalent to SeaDream fare to get there.

The Singapore to Thailand cruises are intriguing, though.

I was planning Caribbean (for the first time ever) in early 2014 - and now it looks like that won't be an option.

Oh well - have to wait until they are back in those waters for me to have my first taste of the region as I really want SeaDream to be my first taste of cruising the Caribbean!

I live in Australia, so for me cruising in Asian waters is not so attractive (been to Indonesia a few times, visited Singapore often, holiday a lot in Cairns). Just a small caveat to you northern hemisphere guys - the travel dates for many of these cruises are in our 'rainy season' when it's VERY humid and it rains (tropical downpours) for a few hours every day (or at least very night). Also cyclone season down here from Nov-March, so just be aware.

Shaskelly

I was planning Caribbean (for the first time ever) in early 2014 - and now it looks like that won't be an option.

Oh well - have to wait until they are back in those waters for me to have my first taste of the region as I really want SeaDream to be my first taste of cruising the Caribbean!

I live in Australia, so for me cruising in Asian waters is not so attractive (been to Indonesia a few times, visited Singapore often, holiday a lot in Cairns). Just a small caveat to you northern hemisphere guys - the travel dates for many of these cruises are in our 'rainy season' when it's VERY humid and it rains (tropical downpours) for a few hours every day (or at least very night). Also cyclone season down here from Nov-March, so just be aware.

Shaskelly

Wow, that is very handy information indeed! I've never been to the southern hemisphere, so none of that would have ever occurred to me. Won't SD 1 be in the Caribbean at all? Or is that all during the Costa Rica/Panama cruise time?

I was also thinking SD I would be in the Caribbean winter 2014 and the schedule had not yet come up. Perhaps that's dry dock time?

I believe they will be back in the Caribbean after the Costa Rica itineraries. SDII will go back to the Med after the Asia itineraries.

Jim, I think you are right. The website is only listing the Asian voyages right now for SD 2. SD 1 will return to the Caribbean after the last Costa Rica voyage (New Years in Panama) so far as I know and then reposition to the Med. So Shaskelly, I think you still have an opportunity!!

Vandrefalk

Also looking to try Seadream and these Asian itineraries especially With Seadream going to Myanmar are very tempting.

Just wondering what is the usual process for deciding to do the marina day. Do they usually post in advance where it maybe deployed?

Just an aside the dry season for that side of Thailand is December/January/February and it is usually lovely and hot. I did an Andaman Sea Voyage this February and it was very hot/dry in Thailand, hot/becoming humid in Malaysia and around Singapore very humid/wet. When in Singapore we had some downpours but they cleared and we were able to get out and about. Did the cable car to Sentosa Island.

For Northern Australia and Indonesia December/January/February is the wet season and you are more likely to encounter tropical downpours and yes possibly cyclones in our North. Though their frequency varies year to year. But lots of cruise lines do this area at this time of year.

I should say I also have been to Indonesia in December and lived in Darwin for a year as well as traveling to Singapore a few times. This does not make me an expert by any means as the weather is so hard to predict sometimes.:confused::)

Archived