Another reason to go ahead and get a passport

bkerber

Off topic, I know, but since it was mentioned...

I remember years ago when I was a kid (about 30 yrs ago :eek:), my parents had driver's licenses that didn't have a photo. In fact, I don't think they even had photo licenses back then.

Then I remember when they both got the "new" photo licenses--again, we're going back 25-29 years ago!

When I first got my driver's license (24 years ago) it was automatically a photo ID.

Now I know not everyone drives--in fact, I have a friend who does not, but has a FL state non-drivers ID (same as a DL but not for use to drive).

I heard something about housebound individuals and older folk who might not be able to get out to renew an expired ID, but wondering under what other circumstances a person might not have a basic government issued photo ID?:confused:

Some people were also very upset that people with no/low incomes wouldn't be able to afford ID and therefore wouldn't be able to vote. However, I've lived in 2 different states at the time they started requiring ID for voting and both sent out information on how anyone who needed it could get a free ID along with a list of several alternate forms of ID that would be acceptable for those without DL's.

Another reason for when a Passport comes in handy:

Our daughter had her wallet stolen. Having her Passport at home was very helpful and quite needed and useful.

She said that it was lots more fun when she needed it for a cruise! :D

With all due respect, drivers licenses are issued by each state, not the federal government. There's no such thing as a Federal Drivers License. :)

From what I've been reading, some states will be offering enhanced drivers licenses, in conjunction with Homeland Security. From the Homeland Security webpage:

"State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.The Department has been working with states to enhance their drivers licenses and identification documents to comply with travel rules under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), effective June 1, 2009. The states of Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington are issuing these enhanced drivers licenses."

So, not exactly Federal, but closer than I would have thought! These would be nearly as good as a passport for some things.

From what I've been reading, some states will be offering enhanced drivers licenses, in conjunction with Homeland Security. From the Homeland Security webpage:

"State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.The Department has been working with states to enhance their drivers licenses and identification documents to comply with travel rules under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), effective June 1, 2009. The states of Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington are issuing these enhanced drivers licenses."

So, not exactly Federal, but closer than I would have thought! These would be nearly as good as a passport for some things.

Enhanced drivers licenses have been available for several years, but are only issued in four states, Michigan, New York, Washington and Vermont (plus some Canadian provinces).

As I stated in an earlier post, the reference to "federal" drivers licenses has to do with federal standards for drivers licenses under the REAL ID law.

Archived