"The plan to salvage the Costa Concordia"

RSWBADGER

Once the ship is refloated, I suppose anybody could make a bid on it to rebuild a new structure on the hull and put it back into operation. If that bid is more than it would fetch as scrap, then it would presumably be accepted.

A main caveat is that they probably would not want to tow the refloated ship away from the protected part of the Mediterranean she is in now, as rough seas could be very problematic. That means that any rebuilding, whole or partial, would have to be in Italy, which could be very politically difficult.

May be much more than a new tophamper. Would assume that all the mechanicals, engines and electrics are toast at this point.

• 1 month later...

The local people in the community must be so sick of the sight, sounds, light and memories that wreck of a ship brings them daily and apparently nightly. All those bright lights........

I feel for them.

None of us would like that going on in our neighborhood and I'm sure they don't either.

Her almost identical twin sister is still in service, new engines and all. If it were my hull, I'd try to rebuild with the thoughts of those who perished in mind forever. "Rememberance or Memorial" could be part of her new name.

David

Her almost identical twin sister is still in service, new engines and all. If it were my hull, I'd try to rebuild with the thoughts of those who perished in mind forever. "Rememberance or Memorial" could be part of her new name.

David

:eek: Speaking only for myself......

There is NO WAY I would sail a ship in 'remembrance or memory' of those who perished on/in her. That is not my idea of a relaxing, fun cruise. It would haunt me the entire time. It is so out of the realm of possible we would consider booking her that is below the -0- mark.

Perhaps that is just me but it gives me the creeps.

I agree with you it just wouldn't work.....but IF the hull is salvaged, I wouldn't want some happy name either. What is PC? For sure it won't be a Costa ship. Scrapped in Bengladesh ....or new name new identity, no choice inbetween.

David

I agree with you it just wouldn't work.....but IF the hull is salvaged, I wouldn't want some happy name either. What is PC? For sure it won't be a Costa ship. Scrapped in Bengladesh ....or new name new identity, no choice inbetween.

David

Scrap her and melt down the steel.

IMO

Scrap her and melt down the steel.

IMO

I agree too, but I don't get it, how much is it going to cost to refloat her 300 million, and how much will they get for scrap. Just doesn't make sense to me, but then alot of things don't make sense to me.:rolleyes:

Thank you VERY much for posting the details and pictures and the explanation. I find it very interesting to see what they plan to do. It certainly looks logical and appears as if it will work, we shall see. For their sake I hope it does work, as I am sure they are being paid a lot of money to re-float her and tow her 'somewhere' and I would hate for them to do all of that work and then fail. The poor ship did nothing wrong, she deserves a better end. It was the foolish captain that deserves to be punished, severly, HE is the one that had total RESPONSIBILITY for all of the people, the crew and the ship. AND HE and HE alone is 100% at fault.

I grew up and lived most of my life in Annapolis, Maryland. The home of the United State Naval Academy. What they teach there starting on day #1 when the students arrive is RESPONSIBILITY! for the student's first year at the academy they are a plebe and some people do not like how they are treated, but they learn responsibility. None of the student's lock their doors to their rooms because NO one will go in and take ANYTHING, because that is stealing - against the honor code and you would be removed from the Academy. You would not even go into your best friends room and 'borrow' a pair of socks without his/her express permission - because that is stealing! THAT is responsibility! I loved living around all of the midshipmen it gave one such hope for the future to be around all of these super smart, outstanding young men and women. When I heard about the Captain of the Concordia and him having that woman on the bridge and his "falling" into the life boat, etc. etc. I was sickened. Even as a Plebe I cannot imagine one of those young men or woman doing something like he did. I hope they "hang him from the yardarm"!

I grew up and lived most of my life in Annapolis, Maryland. The home of the United State Naval Academy.

None of the student's lock their doors to their rooms because NO one will go in and take ANYTHING, because that is stealing - against the honor code and you would be removed from the Academy. quote]

Well, I have sailed in many merchant ships, British flag, Liberian flag, Panamanian flag, Egyptian flag, Maltese flag and even Irish flag... with crews of all national nationalities and no one ever locks their cabin doors. Nothing at all to do with honour or codes... just plain old simple human respect for fellow seafarers. Never, ever heard of anything being taken from someone's cabin.

Now the sad thing is that once we arrived in port we had to lock cabin doors... and everything else because people coming on board could not be trusted.... be it Bombay, Singapore, Tokyo, Rotterdam or New york!

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] :eek: Speaking only for myself......[/B]

[B]There is NO WAY I would sail a ship in 'remembrance or memory' of those who perished on/in her. That is not my idea of a relaxing, fun cruise. It would haunt me the entire time. It is so out of the realm of possible we would consider booking her that is below the -0- mark. [/B]

[B]Perhaps that is just me but it gives me the creeps. [/B]

[/quote]

We too would not be comfortable sailing on the same hull regardless of the possibly good intentions to memorialize the lost and to move on in their memory. Having had to work in the Pentagon after the 9/11 attacks was personally unsettling despite the reassurance of the leadership that we were honoring our fallen friends and co-workers. Yes, I kind of understood the leadership's point of view and even though that section of the building had been completely rebuilt it just felt weird. They reopened the replacement section of the Pentagon in late 2002 and we transferred to Texas in early 2003, it was that uncomfortable for us.

Archived