Wine package or not??

Fenten

Debating whether we should purchase a wine package. There would be at least 4 of us, perhaps up to 8 people in my group that would want to have a glass or 2 of wine with dinner. We are not big wine drinkers, so we would not tend to choose very expensive bottles. Probably just the cheapest bottles would do. Is it beneficial then to buy a package…perhaps a 7 or 10 bottle package? I have tried looking for a recent price list of the bottles of wine but can’t find one. We will be sailing on Allure leaving Oct. 14.

Would it be cost savings for us to purchase a package or should we just purchase the cheapest wine per the bottle. If we bought by the bottle, do they still re-cork and save the remaining wine for the next night’s dinner?

Thanks.

I can't help you with cost of bottle vs. package, but yes...if you buy "by the bottle", you make take it with you, or have it saved until the next evening.

There's no real need to decide in advance. You can wait until you board, check the prices and decide then. It is cheaper to buy a bottle than "by the glass". I find the wine to be so overpriced that I opt for drinks other than wine.....a cocktail will give you more "bang" for your buck!

Debating whether we should purchase a wine package. There would be at least 4 of us, perhaps up to 8 people in my group that would want to have a glass or 2 of wine with dinner. We are not big wine drinkers, so we would not tend to choose very expensive bottles. Probably just the cheapest bottles would do. Is it beneficial then to buy a package…perhaps a 7 or 10 bottle package? I have tried looking for a recent price list of the bottles of wine but can’t find one. We will be sailing on Allure leaving Oct. 14.

Would it be cost savings for us to purchase a package or should we just purchase the cheapest wine per the bottle. If we bought by the bottle, do they still re-cork and save the remaining wine for the next night’s dinner?

Thanks.

The cheapest wines go for $23 a bottle. The cheapest 10 bottle package is $24.50 a bottle. So you would be better off buying single bottles.

Wine can be re-corked and saved for subsequent nights regardless of if it was purchased singly or via a package.

Thanks.

I always get the wine package, I am a red wine drinker and found that there is a savings buying the package vs buying singular bottles. I usually buy either the gold pkg. (7 bottles for a total of $207 which includes the 15% grat) or platinum pkg. (7 bottles for a total of $224.25). I always order a bottle with dinner and whatever DH & I don't finish I take with me back to our stateroom, although they will re-cork and bring the remaining wine to you the next night, if you so choose but I usually take it with me along with my wine glass to finish in the evening or to maybe have a pre-dinner drink. cb at sea is correct, no need to pre-purchase, probably better to wait until you are on-board to see what wines are included in the different packages vs what's available by the bottle, that's what I usually do and end up with the package anyway.

Truthfully I could be satisfied with the Gold package but I usually opt for the Platinum package, mainly because it includes the Kendall-Jackson Cabernet. The K-J Cabernet sells for $39 and on the Platinum package it rings out around $28 a bottle... so in that light it's a fairly good deal and it's not a compromise for me... I like it.

You could probably go a little cheaper by the bottle as clarea pointed out but you may have a better selection at a reasonable price if you bought the Gold package with something everyone would be pleased with.

You can have them cork the bottle and take it back to the cabin. I beleive you can also order a bottle either in the MDR or from Room Service and have it delivered to the cabin as part of the Wine Package. Usually, my DW and I finish it at the table, thou...

I always get the wine package, I am a red wine drinker and found that there is a savings buying the package vs buying singular bottles. I usually buy either the gold pkg. (7 bottles for a total of $207 which includes the 15% grat) or platinum pkg. (7 bottles for a total of $224.25). I always order a bottle with dinner and whatever DH & I don't finish I take with me back to our stateroom, although they will re-cork and bring the remaining wine to you the next night, if you so choose but I usually take it with me along with my wine glass to finish in the evening or to maybe have a pre-dinner drink. cb at sea is correct, no need to pre-purchase, probably better to wait until you are on-board to see what wines are included in the different packages vs what's available by the bottle, that's what I usually do and end up with the package anyway.

Pricing in Europe is higher by about 15%, and then they add a 15% gratuity on top of that.

I wouldn't pre-purchase. You might find out that they are out of the wine you want to drink. And if you do buy the package, you won't get the cheapest wine offered, but the other wines are a good bit better IMO.

Can you take a bottle for your room or do you have to have it with dinner?

We have been known to order a "spare" and take it back to the cabin unopened (we travel with a corkscrew and usually take a couple of glasses with us or get one from a bar). Sometimes they will deliver it for you with glasses and a corkscrew.:)

I have found with the seven wine packages that in essense you get most of one bottle free, but there is a cavaet in deciding between wine packages. If you think you may only have one bottle that falls into the higher price package, it would be better to buy the lower priced package and then pay for the one bottle at time of purchase.

Any unused wine in a bottle can be stored or take with you out of the dining room. Also, if you can take a full bottle with you. If you haven't gone through your full allotment by the end of the cruise, you can take them with you off the shape.

Archived