Hypogeum - What's it like to walk for person with knee issues?

Hi,

I have booked tickets to the Hypogeum in Malta. We are travelling with one person that has slight moblility isuues with their kneees and I's wondering if someone can tell me more about how the Hypogeum tour is set up. How do you get down into it? How is the flooring - slippery ect and is it easy to see where you are walking? Any other information you think might help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

I have booked tickets to the Hypogeum in Malta. We are travelling with one person that has slight moblility isuues with their kneees and I's wondering if someone can tell me more about how the Hypogeum tour is set up. How do you get down into it? How is the flooring - slippery ect and is it easy to see where you are walking? Any other information you think might help would be appreciated. Thanks

My question would involve the word slight. The Hypogeum is located basically in the basement of a house. When you first start you will sit through a 10 minute film, after that you go down in the actually Hypogeum. My recollection is that the walk is on sturdy wooden walkways, they were not slippery but it is damp inside. There is some up and down some wooden stairways, nothing strenuous, kind of like stairs in a house. It is pretty well lite so seeing were you are walking is not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I am of the "older" generation and do have some problems with my ankles and knees. I found the steps were not too difficult as long as I took my time. If you are able to stay up in front with the guide you will be there when the lights are turned on in the different segments. However, if you get too far behind the group you will be walking in darkness. I found it was slow going in order to be sure-footed. However, I had brought a small flashlight as someone on CC had remarked about it. I was able to shine a light on the footpath and the steps as we moved though(your just not permitted to shine it on the historic areas.

We were at the Hypogeum last month. My best advice is to bring appropriate shoes; ie flat, non-slip.

I think gadaboutgirl has an excellent suggestion regarding the flashlight. It does get very dark at times. I would say though that it should not be too bright as they may not allow it. They limit lights inside the Hypogeum and the darkness contributes to the whole experience.

It is an incredible place to see and I am sure you will be fine. Make the guide aware of the person with the mobility issue and I am sure they will be more than accommodating.

• 3 months later...

Unless you stay at the front with the guide it is dark going up and down the steps, it's actually bordering on dangerous. I am the manager of a tourist attraction and there is no way we could have those light levels even though ours is totally flat.

They "claim" that light would damage the Hypogeum as they are worried about the levels of bacteria growing but haven't even attempted to work with light of any spectrum.

Hubbie and I were not impressed by the staff either, a smile would not go amiss, they are security guards not guides and very fierce and intimidating.

To be safe either stay at the front with the guide (aka rent a cop) if you can (not easy because the group goes into dead ends and those at the front end up at the back when the group turns) or take a small torch, but beware those fierce guards! :eek:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought it was very interesting. The floor IS damp so a shoe with a good tread is a must. The group is small less than 20 if I recall and some people were pushy. I was fearful for an elderly lady who was being shoved aside by some kids who's parents were oblivious and spoke up loudly to the guide. He moved her right up front with him. I would suggest asking upon arrival if that could be arranged

To take a bus to the Hypogeum you have to go up the steep hill (located right next to the port) and walk towards your left until you reach the bus station. I think the #83, 84 and 91 all have routes that take them near the site. I suggest you have a decent map so you can follow the buses route. Also tell the driver where you want to go and he/she will hopefully remember to remind you which stop is closest. Once off the bus you still have to walk a few blocks, and the Hypogeum is a place that you could pass without ever noticing the place since its in a building that looks like a normal house. So again, print out a map or go to the Hypogeum's own web site and print out their directions. Regarding the buses, be aware that the bus stop where you get a return bus is not in the same location as the stop where you are dropped. To get to the pick-up spot turn left when you exit the Hypogeum building, walk to the corner, turn left, and just keep walking up this street until you see the bus stop (it is well marked).

We should also mention that there is only a very limited number of folks they allow on each tour. You generally need to reserve (and buy your ticket) at least several weeks (or even months) in advance.

Here is a link to some more detailed info:

http://www.maltainfoguide.com/hypogeum-malta.html#.UycNhI1OXIU

Hank

Edited by Hlitner