Advantages to booking directly with Celebrity?

smch916

Looking to book our first cruise with Celebrity. Is there any specific advantages of booking directly with them as opposed to a discounter? Anything about booking with a discounter that I need to be wary of? We haven't cruised in several years and can't remember issues either way.

Also, when I go to the celebrity website, they only show a few rooms available. Do you need to call to find out what all is actually available?

Thank you!

There is no advantage to dealing directly with celebrity directly....in fact there is an advantage to dealing with a travel agent who will give you an on board credit. I would not suggest anyone book directly with celebrity unless they are booking on board a cruise and even then, when you get home, transfer the booking to a travel agent who will give you an additional on board credit.

We always book directly with Celebrity. I like to be in control of my booking and not have to go through a third party.

In all due respect, what is it you have against keeping $ in your pocket?

Looking to book our first cruise with Celebrity. Is there any specific advantages of booking directly with them as opposed to a discounter? Anything about booking with a discounter that I need to be wary of? We haven't cruised in several years and can't remember issues either way.

Also, when I go to the celebrity website, they only show a few rooms available. Do you need to call to find out what all is actually available?

Thank you!

for something like, say, "last minute cruises," (even if you don't need a last minute one)

I have used "this method" 9 consecutive times with VERY favorable results

Thank you!

Technically, there are no "discounters" - Celebrity does not permit travel agents to discount the cruise fare. What agencies often do is provide a rebate of varying amounts, which I believe comes out of the TA commissions. The point is do not be fooled into searching for a TA that may use the word "discount" in their name. Always compare apples to apples.

Technically, there are no "discounters" - Celebrity does not permit travel agents to discount the cruise fare. What agencies often do is provide a rebate of varying amounts, which I believe comes out of the TA commissions. The point is do not be fooled into searching for a TA that may use the word "discount" in their name. Always compare apples to apples.

This is interesting... Now I'm a little confused. Here's the question:

1. When I go into Celebrity's website they have a cruise price (total price... port fees, taxes and cruise fare) of $XXXX and when I go into one of the travel agent's websites I do, in fact, get the SAME $XXXX price as Celebrity offers. I did this recently looking for a "difference" and couldn't find one.

2. But then if I wait for a "special offer," I can get an OBC from that same travel agent but for the same $XXXX total price that Celebrity is charging.

3. My question is then: If I'm paying the travel agent $XXXX and that's the same price I'd pay Celebrity... then where does the travel agent get their commision from? They're not getting it from me. And if Celebrity is paying them a commision, then Celebrity is getting less money for the same cruise than if I'd booked through them directly.

4. The OBC I end up getting is about 10% of the cruise price. That would mean the travel agent would have to get AT LEAST that amount in commission from Celebrity... OR... they'd be paying Celebrity less than I would if I booked directly.

So I must conclude from this that Celebrity is discounting to the agents... And that is must be about a 15% discount otherwise the agent would have nothing to keep for themselves after they give my the OBC of about 10% of the Celebrity price.

Is that how this works?

In Canada , no TA gives any obc, unless celebrity is giving them:(

My last two cruises, both booked in Canada, had OBCs from the TA. On one of them, Celebrity also gave OBCs. On the other, Celebrity did not give OBCs. You just have to shop for it. There don't appear to be a lot of Canadian-based TAs that provide OBCs.

In Canada , no TA gives any obc, unless celebrity is giving them:(

This is why I usually book with US travel agents. So far, I haven't had any problems (fingers crossed!). To me, getting an extra few hundred dollars in OBC is worth doing some research and going with a T.A. outside of Canada.

Booking directly with the cruiseline vs. using a TA has been discussed and debated many times. Like most subjects, it's a personal preference, and is often determined by past experiences. I haven't used a TA in years, and prefer booking directly with the cruise line. I have options for OBC, either as a stockholder, using a NCC, or booking a future cruise while I'm on a cruise. So using a TA just for a few more $$ in OBC is absolutely not worth it to me, especially since it means I'll lose control of my booking. But that's just me...:)

I agree that it doesn't make sense that Celebrity would rather pay a commission to a TA than give customers who book directly with Celebrity a price break! Hotels have learned to offer the best price if you book with them directly. It seems that cruise lines would do that.After a bad experience with an online TA who would not give us the price drops that showed up on the cruise line's website, we have booked direct. I like that. It was not worth the $100 we saved with the TA. There were multiple emails and calls to get OBC that was promised. In the end, the online TA dropped the OBC because the price dropped.This was all before final payment.

I agree that it doesn't make sense that Celebrity would rather pay a commission to a TA than give customers who book directly with Celebrity a price break! Hotels have learned to offer the best price if you book with them directly. It seems that cruise lines would do that.After a bad experience with an online TA who would not give us the price drops that showed up on the cruise line's website, we have booked direct. I like that. It was not worth the $100 we saved with the TA. There were multiple emails and calls to get OBC that was promised. In the end, the online TA dropped the OBC because the price dropped.This was all before final payment.

I'd say you had a bad TA. We've used one of, if not the largest internet cruise TA (who happens to advertise on cruise critic) and we've had excellent quick response and service on any of our requests..and we've used them for at least 5 cruises now with another 4 booked. They give generous OBC's (and they are TA OBC's that don't effect our stockholder benefit), they often offer prepaid gratuities and sometimes a specialty restaurant or other gift.

Booking directly with the cruiseline vs. using a TA has been discussed and debated many times. Like most subjects, it's a personal preference, and is often determined by past experiences. I haven't used a TA in years, and prefer booking directly with the cruise line. I have options for OBC, either as a stockholder, using a NCC, or booking a future cruise while I'm on a cruise. So using a TA just for a few more $$ in OBC is absolutely not worth it to me, especially since it means I'll lose control of my booking. But that's just me...:)

I'll take the shareholder and my T/A's OBC. On our next Hawaii cruise the T/A credit was pre-paid tips --- over $400 and I still get my $250 shareholder.

I don't quite understand the control issue --- If I want something changed, I tell my T/A what I want and they do it.

We don't like to leave money on the table ;) It is certainly to each his own :)

This is my first ever post. I joined this forum just as an observer and never planned to post, but since this is in my area of expertise, I couldn't not jump in. I am a travel agent. Regardless of whether you book a hotel package, a tour package or a cruise, commission is always paid by the vendor, in this case, the cruise line. It is illegal to offer a rebate to clients, and my agency would fire me if I did. The supplier reserves the right to sever their relationship with any agency that publically offers a rebate. Prices are set by the vendor, not by the agency or the agent, which is why pricing from multiple sources is often identical, down to the penny. There are only two things I can offer my clients, to help me get a leg up. One is to purchase an onboard gift or credit for them. This comes out of my pocket, not the cruise line. The other is exemplary service, only a phone call away.

I do not understand how my TA can give me OBC when Celebrity claims not to allow discounting. But I do not have to understand it to appreciate it! And my TA tells me that Celebrity now allows her to give me the option of either having the $$ as OBC or as a discount taken off the total price.

If I did not have a TA that I can reach practically 24/7 I would feel differently.

Regarding the question of X's website showing only 3 cabins per category....just the annoying way the website is set up. Use another site to see what is available and put in the number of the cabin you want. Or call them and they will tell you all the cabins available in the category you are looking at.

Aside from the OBC, I also saved over $700 pp off the X website price by booking through a T.A., which makes NO sense to me. But mine is not to question...

Celebrity has a policy that a TA can not discount the fares.

Celebrity also allows TA's to arrange groups on their cruises and if a TA sets up a group, they can advertise and sell at the "group" rate rather than the official rate. While this sounds confusing, it's completely transparent to the passenger since the members of the group do not need to know anyone else in the group and most actually never realize they are part of a group booking...it's just a financial deal with no ramifications other than you are paying less than the official "can't be discounted" rate.

We always book directly with Celebrity. I like to be in control of my booking and not have to go through a third party.

I agree, you should always book your own cruises and be in total control.

I use a travel agent and I keep getting credits on my charge card because she monitors my booked cruises for price reductions and gets me the price adjustment. I know she ends up with a lower commission, but she does this for all of her clients. I don't have the time or interest to check my cruises every day for any price drops. We've been on 4 cruises so far this year and we're going on Oceania next month and have 3 cruises booked in December. Received price adjustments on all 8 so far.

Not bad for a free service.

I agree, you should always book your own cruises and be in total control.

I use a travel agent and I keep getting credits on my charge card because she monitors my booked cruises for price reductions and gets me the price adjustment. I know she ends up with a lower commission, but she does this for all of her clients. I don't have the time or interest to check my cruises every day for any price drops. We've been on 4 cruises so far this year and we're going on Oceania next month and have 3 cruises booked in December. Received price adjustments on all 8 so far.

Not bad for a free service.

Huh?? you should book your own cruises with celebrity, but your TA adjusts the prices when they drop and gets the commission?

Perhaps you booked with celebrity directly and then within 60 days transferred the booking to your TA?.

Huh?? you should book your own cruises with celebrity, but your TA adjusts the prices when they drop and gets the commission?

Perhaps you booked with celebrity directly and then within 60 days transferred the booking to your TA?.

I think slk230red was being sarcastic in saying you should book directly with Celebrity..

Thanks for explaining why I likely got the lower rate for my cruise. I knew about the 'no discounting' policy of X, but have seen various agencies openly offering discounted rates on specific sailings, so I figured there was some sort of allowed workaround. The group booking makes total sense.

Me too. I have booked all of our cruises through a major US online cruise agency - they are the largest I think. They usually offer paid gratuities, and sometimes other perks. I book online, and have had nothing but positive experiences, even when I have changed our cabin a few times (which I've done with each cruise). You do not need to book with a Canadian agency.

This is why I usually book with US travel agents. So far, I haven't had any problems (fingers crossed!). To me, getting an extra few hundred dollars in OBC is worth doing some research and going with a T.A. outside of Canada.

Archived