NEW ZEALAND in NOVEMBER - need a jumper??

Hi all,

I was hoping a NZ local could shed light on the weather in NZ in late November early December.

Does it get cold enough for jumpers and the like or will light cardi's do the job??

Will it be hot enough for the kids to swim during the days??

THanks in advnnce,

Nikki

Hi all,

I was hoping a NZ local could shed light on the weather in NZ in late November early December.

Does it get cold enough for jumpers and the like or will light cardi's do the job??

THanks in advnnce,

Nikki

i think you will need more than a jumper, take something warm and if you dont need it doesnt matter

We cruised NZ in January (which should be warmer than November) and definitely needed warm jumpers in the South Island. In Christchurch and Dunedin we wore fairly warm jackets.

We swam in most of the North Island, and the first and last day of the cruise leaving and returning to Sydney, but it was too cold around the South Island.

I would take a jumper and a jacket for Fiordland, as Fiordland can be cool / cold!.

I don't think you will need a jumper for the rest of NZ, (Buts its worth having, just in case you hit a cool day.)

Also take a jacket, just in case it rains!

We were in Dunedin in February this year and with the cold wind that was blowing we found that after twenty minutes of walking around outside in jeans, teeshirts and a light jumper we had to go inside to warm up. :eek:

A Pacific Sun cruise that left Brisbane on 28th November a few years ago it actually snowed lightly on the deck as the ship entered Milford Sound. Many of the passengers were from Queensland and they were caught unawares by the cold weather. A friend who was on the ship told me this and I was a bit doubtful until members of the cruise staff told me on our cruise two months later how cold it had been that day. They also said it had snowed. :)

I think it is unlikely it will be cold enough to snow on your trip, but it will be very cold for the first few hours (at least) on the trip into the Sounds.

SNOW - how wonderful!! Although i do hope it's not that cold haha.

Thanks for the heads up though. I am really looking forward to this cruise. I think my next one is going to Alaska in 2014, so this will be a good test on how to pack. Our last summer cruise to the South Pacific we lived in togs and sarongs. The weather was amazing.

SNOW - how wonderful!! Although i do hope it's not that cold haha.

Thanks for the heads up though. I am really looking forward to this cruise. I think my next one is going to Alaska in 2014, so this will be a good test on how to pack. Our last summer cruise to the South Pacific we lived in togs and sarongs. The weather was amazing.

We loved our cruise to Alaska. We deliberately went late in the season (left Vancouver on 16th August) because we wanted to see the Aurora. After the cruise we hired a motorhome from Anchorage for 11 days. There was little traffic and we had a fantastic time. Yes - we saw the Aurora near Fairbanks. Fantastic. I have read that early in the season, April-May has more settled weather than late, but the weather was good for us. It was very very cold. It was so cold when we were on deck looking at glaciers, I thought my nose and ears were going to drop off!! I actually bought a warm 'hat' (more stylish than a beanie) because it was so cold. Denali National Park was closed because of snow early in the morning, then the road opened up. It was a superb trip.

It's worth remembering that the Sounds, Dunedin and Christchurch are all at latitudes south of Hobart. NZ isn't exactly tropical - and that goes doubly for the South Island.

Thats true, actually it is quite easy to forget because it is so close to Australia and we live in such a tropical part of Australia too. I can easily see how people could get quickly caught out on a NZ cruise, especially summer. I did a bit of research last night and Dunedin averages are 9 - 14 degrees in November. Much colder then I was expecting and imagine on the ocean with a bit of breeze it's going to be quite chilly indeed!

• 2 weeks later...
We went in November last year. It was cardi time up until Auckland, then from then on it was coat, beanie, scarf time. It was also raining and so windy in Wellington. Take very warm clothes, brolly or poncho with you and enjoy your holiday :)

Just threw poncho's in - great idea! Thanks so much :-)

Hi all,

THanks in advnnce,

Nikki

We cruised in NZ over December / January.

At the South Island, we needed jumpers, scarves, beanies, jackets.

At the North Island, it was warmer - jeans, tshirts, shorts, cardigans etc.

My biggest recommendation is to take either a rain coat or plastic poncho for when you sail through Fjiorland National Park. It can be a bit misty, and you don't want to be unprepared and restricted to viewing the scenery from inside.

Hi all,

THanks in advnnce,

Nikki

Depends on which Part of NZ really but I would say Definitely some thing warm. I have been there in the south Island in the height of Summer and been cold, Particually at night. It may be hot enough to swim, once again depends on where you are. Like every where some Novembers are warmer than others. I would definitely err on the side of caution to be sure, there is nothing worse than being cold. Also, its NOT likely you could pick up something cheap if you needed it there.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering what to pack for NZ in late Jan/Feb & have it covered for outside.

We will be on Voyager of the Seas & was wondering if anyone knows what the temperature inside at night is like on RCCL ships in colder climates?

On Radiance earlier this year in the South Pacific in March/April the inside temperature was good for Summer weight clothing.

Is it the same inside temperature wherever they cruise, so wearing a sleeveless evening dress for formal nights will be ok, or will I need a jacket?

A pair of gloves and a beanie come in handy, when you go outside ship through the sounds..

I am going on my 12th cruise to NZ later this month on Pacific Dawn...

and have loved everytime...

kind regards, Lorraine :):)

A pair of gloves and a beanie come in handy, when you go outside ship through the sounds..

I am going on my 12th cruise to NZ later this month on Pacific Dawn...

and have loved everytime...

kind regards, Lorraine :):)

Thanks Lorraine, but my question is actually regarding the inside night time temperature they keep the ships at. :)

Specifically Royal Caribbean ships as they may differ slightly from other cruise lines?

Thanks Lorraine, but my question is actually regarding the inside night time temperature they keep the ships at. :)

Specifically Royal Caribbean ships as they may differ slightly from other cruise lines?

Hi, have never been on Rcc, but have been on Princess and P&O...with AIR-CON...you might just add a wrap or cardigan..

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

we are on the Sea Princess ATM and we just came out of Milford Sound and its freezing cold on the main deck and its going to be 15 degress tomorrow....we had a smooth sailing thru the 3 sounds but we have copped choppy seas.....so bring some warm clothes

we are on the Sea Princess ATM and we just came out of Milford Sound and its freezing cold on the main deck and its going to be 15 degress tomorrow....we had a smooth sailing thru the 3 sounds but we have copped choppy seas.....so bring some warm clothes

The Sea P web Cam certainly shows how rough it is...also says that she is headed for Wellington :confused:

Does your itinery miss Dunedin and Akaroa or has there been a change in plans?

cheers

Thanks and I had already bought a new jacket so I think I will get to use it for our December cruise.

Archived