Murino and excursions - pay in advance?

Nylsor

My DH, DD and SIL and myself are on Century next September 8 2013 to Alaska. Our DD b/day is Sept 11 and we would like to treat her to the Murino for the evening. When I went to the website to reserve a table for 4 on that night, I was aked to pay £102 upfront ( can't remember exactly but approx that amount) to 'secure your booking'. Is this usual? We've never sailed Celebrity but on Princess you make the reservation and the cost is added to your onboard account.

What would you do? Should I wait until we board? I don't want the disappointment of not getting a table. I don't mind paying now but it just seemed a bit odd. Will the same apply when we get to book excursions? Do they also have to be paid for at the time of booking them?

Advice gratefully received.

Yes, on Celebrity if you book in advance, both dinners at specialty restaurants and excursions, you pay at the time of booking. Celebrity operates differently than Princess.

Book and pay now if you want this all taken care of before you cruise, or if you think that the exchange rate is as good as it will be then.

Wait until you are on board to book and pay, and the charge will be added to your SeaPass account, so if you have any On-Board Credit you could use it then, or if you think that the exchange rate will be more favorable when you cruise than it is now.

As was stated you do pay at the time of booking for excursions, drink packages and specialty restaurants that you book ahead of the cruise.

We have done this extensively and it has never been a problem. On one cruise we decided to change from one specialty restaurant to another after boarding. In this case the charged our onboard account for the new reservation and credited our credit card for the reservation we made before boarding. They explained what would happen and the charges appeared as they had told us.

Murano is a smaller restaurant. If it is an important occasion and you want a particular day I would go ahead and book and pay in advance. If any night would work for you then you could wait and book on board. And I don't know if all X ships do this....but I just got an email from X for a cruise in 55 days (ie I think this would only come out after final payment) that offers 20% off a specialty restaurant the first night on board.

Some people do wait to book onboard but the days and times may be limited. That is a risk you take. We always book in advance to secure the day and time we want. This is especially important at Murano which has limited seating.

If you do wait, you could get a discount at the specialty restaurants. But that is dependent on how the bookings have gone.

My DH, DD and SIL and myself are on Century next September 8 2013 to Alaska. Our DD b/day is Sept 11 and we would like to treat her to the Murino for the evening. When I went to the website to reserve a table for 4 on that night, I was aked to pay £102 upfront ( can't remember exactly but approx that amount) to 'secure your booking'. Is this usual? We've never sailed Celebrity but on Princess you make the reservation and the cost is added to your onboard account.

What would you do? Should I wait until we board? I don't want the disappointment of not getting a table. I don't mind paying now but it just seemed a bit odd. Will the same apply when we get to book excursions? Do they also have to be paid for at the time of booking them?

Advice gratefully received.

As many said , best to book now. You will get the time and day that you want . In addition, if you opt for a package when on board, you will get a shipboard credit. If you book three specialty restaurants you save some money. Not sure if $10 or $20 pp Never had a problem converting individual reservations to packages.

Can one cancel and rebook if a discount is offered when inboard?

I have cancelled dining reservations before the cruise without any problems. They give you credit back to your credit card- it could take a couple of weeks. I have also cancelled once onboard and or modified the reservation without any problem and given a credit for my onboard purchases. I have also done this with shore excursions before the day of the excursion without any problem. I typically do all of my reservations prior to the sailing.

It really helps me budget my expenses and get the reservations of my choice for dinner and shore excursions. Of course you pay now-or pay later, but once on board, I feel that my onboard account is less painful! But it is a head game with my husband and I!

At our Silhouette cruise in August, they tried to get us to go to the specialty restaurants every day by offering discounts. Normally 20-30%, we went to Qsine the last night when they offered 50% off. At least on our cruise the restaurants were never full.

At our Silhouette cruise in August, they tried to get us to go to the specialty restaurants every day by offering discounts. Normally 20-30%, we went to Qsine the last night when they offered 50% off. At least on our cruise the restaurants were never full.

You are correct as the cruise line has many "restaurant packages". However, if you are fussy about the time, day etc. , I found it best to book before the cruise then get the discount applied once on board. With the exception of Murano, the other restaurants were not 100% full.

I had been turned away if I wanted last minute reservations as I was told that the table was reserved for a hour later. They assumed the diner takes 1 1/2 hours.

For smaller venues like the specialty restaurants you must prepay when making a reservation. Otherwise, too many people would make reservations to secure a table in case they wanted to dine there and then never show up since there would be no penalty for no-shows without the prepay. Because the restaurant staff would have no idea those people will not show up, the table would remain empty and someone wanting to dine there would be turned away.

Archived