Ketel 1 Smuggler

SW.FloridaPhil

On special occasions, I enjoy a martini or other cocktail made with Ketel1. I have no idea what cruise ships charge for premium brands, and a cruise, for me, is a very special occasion. Will I have any problem bringing a bottle on board? Should I try packing it in my checked luggage or carry it in my carry on bag. I am sailing out of Phila. and will buy it after my flight.

You'd better wrap it WELL as we had a bottle to break open on our return flight, causing a huge dry cleaning bill, plus two garments had to be trashed!! (It would have been cheaper to just buy the drinks on board!). We will continue to bring a bottle or two with us, though, because we like a drink on our balcony now and then. Martha

I've always used bubblewrap inside one of those two gallon size zip locks from WalMart and I've had no problems in checked luggage.

The Martinis made with Grey Goose or Van Gogh are 8.95 or 10.29 with the 15% added. These are 4 oz drinks.

I always bring my own high quality liquor on board in my carry on I have never found the drinks to be well made on board.

I've always used bubblewrap inside one of those two gallon size zip locks from WalMart and I've had no problems in checked luggage.

The Martinis made with Grey Goose or Van Gogh are 8.95 or 10.29 with the 15% added. These are 4 oz drinks.

Can't you request the 'real' thing?

I used to drink Purple Rains. Do you know what that it? It's a Long Island w/o the shot of coke and with a top float of, oh heck, I just forgot, it's the raspberry liqueur in the round bottle - do you know what I mean? I used to love this drink!

Thank you - I was having a pre-senior moment! And too lazy to get up and go look in the liquor cabinet! Still a good drink!

DB,

As far as I know, they will not have a clue as it is something I came up with that is now served in several bars where I live. Just explain it the way I did - leave out the shot of coke and float the Chambord. The purple liquor will start to very slowly go into the drink in what looks like rivulets of rain. Excellent drink!

If you worry about a breaking glass bottle, just buy bottle of soda (plastic), empty it and fill with vodka.

I would really like if Celebrity had the same practice as Royal Caribbean (they are the same company after all). On RCCL you can buy a bottle , pay $9.50 fee and drink it. (with duty free prices you get the same price as if you bought it in your local store). RCCL even offers only $9.50 for 2 bottles on the first night.

I still buy from the ship bars, we just like convenience of mixing our own drinks, or just drinking it in our cabin.

I agree with the previous poster. Most people who "smuggle" booze are not doing it to avoid the bar prices but because they enjoy a drink in their room while getting ready for dinner or sitting on there balcony relaxing. Celebrity should follow suit with some of the other cruise lines and allow the purchase of alchohol for room consumption at a resonable price. I know that my brother was on the 15 day Princess cruise to Hawaii and they could buy a bottle of rum and a sick pack of coke for $20 from room service. On Celebrity that same bottle of rum and soda is $50 When they are excessive in their markups people will smuggle. Most people wouldn't mind the convience of buying their room liquor on board if they were just resonable with their pricing

Absolutely! We like to bring a special bottle of port or wine that we have picked up on our trips to Napa to use in our cabin. Also, my husband, who likes wine with dinner, will bring a couple of bottles that he's been saving from our travels to bring to the dining room.

Believe me, our bar tab for a cruise is more than average even with our smuggled bottle or two.

this is the best advice... as an extra precaution i also use two bags - one inside the other, in case the first should fail. packed in the center of your checked bag, snuggly surrounded by clothing for cushioning, and your bottle should be able to take whatever abuse they can dish-out. at least it's always worked for me.

strangely, i'd never had van gogh until about a month ago; now it's accompanying me on my upcoming sailing on hal. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have to commend you on not only a very inventive drink with Purple Rain, but an absolutely inventive name! Very creative, and I'm going to have one made for me the next time I go out! Great thinking...

I am sailing out of Phila. and will buy it after my flight.

Someone from Philly can help me out here: My recollection from a previous trip to Philadelphia is that hard liquor is sold only in state-run stores. You might want to determine if there are any in proximity to the pier.

I drink Long Island Ice Teas Though They Use a Mix on Board they are Terrible!!!!!

They were great in all the ports though!!!!

When I was on Mercury in April I watched them make my sister-in-laws Long Island Ice Tea and my Mojito. There were no mixes involved in either drink. They were both delicious.

As for the martinis in the Martini Bar, they just keep getting better and better. I can't wait to have my Van Gogh Flirtini.

Anne Maria

Archived