Don't use Gifts and Services

DntlGal

They were Carnival dollars not OBC, and the certificates were mailed to our home before the cruise as Christmas presents. I'm glad I opened them before the kids got them - after ordering them, I decided I would put them their stockings instead. Now I know not to rely on having an enclosed greeting or gift card.

I understand that about your post... my post was referring to the OP's situation and regular OBC :)

Our honeymoon was a cruise, we had some Carnival items on our registry. The day we arrived the bed was full of gifts with a card attached to each. Through out the cruise more gifts showed up with a gift card attached. Even the excursion and drink cards we received as a gift had a note attached. I think her gift card may have been overlooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our honeymoon was a cruise, we had some Carnival items on our registry. The day we arrived the bed was full of gifts with a card attached to each. Through out the cruise more gifts showed up with a gift card attached. Even the excursion and drink cards we received as a gift had a note attached. I think her gift card may have been overlooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep coming back to my own mental question. It's been posted the cruiser possibly threw out the certificate. Maybe so, but when at guest services to ask about that OBC, the poster said the card was "read" to her. What does that mean? Was the card found at the desk? Was it on the computer?If the card was THERE at the desk, why was it "read" to her?

I keep coming back to my own mental question. It's been posted the cruiser possibly threw out the certificate. Maybe so, but when at guest services to ask about that OBC, the poster said the card was "read" to her. What does that mean? Was the card found at the desk? Was it on the computer?If the card was THERE at the desk, why was it "read" to her?

The staffer at the desk would have just accessed the gift order on their computer and read what the card said.

I keep coming back to my own mental question. It's been posted the cruiser possibly threw out the certificate . . .

That may very well have been the case, and would certainly answer some questions.

But perhaps the CCL Bon Voyage department and its onboard rep (usually one of the dining room hostesses) just completely screwed up. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened to passengers (and gifters) for sure.

Even the people who carefully find (and retain) their BV gift receipts don't always get the desired experience.

A visual example:

A co-worker and fiance' were going on a CCL sailing a bit earlier this year. A few of us in the office decided to arrange several onboard things for them. Some went smoothly, and others, well, not so much.

When ordering via BV online, everyone clearly gets the disclaimer, "In the event an item is not available at the time of sailing an item of equal value will be substituted."

On the cabin desk at arrival were two of these gift receipts . . .

Bon-Voyage-Not-Avail-M.jpg

This, of course, created some questions:

Who gifted this?? What was gifted?? Who is "the hostess"?? What will I now receive??

Quite odd that it doesn't indicate the name of the person who was generously trying to gift them something. Nicely done, Carnival. :rolleyes:

That evening, the dining hostess explained, "Ooo, I don't know, but I'll check on that and tell you tomorrow night". The hostess also brought their Bar Credit coupons, removed the stapled gift receipt, asked them to sign for the deliver and then immediately left with the signed gift receipt that advised who they were from. Luckily they took a moment to read those before signing them.

On the second night, the hostess said she was still unsure about the status of the two missing gifts that were Not Available. On the fourth night she indicated there would be no gift offered and that the gifter would receive a credit back to their card. When asked who the gift was from, the hostess advised that information wasn't available since there was no gift. Again, nicely done, Carnival. :rolleyes:

One of the other people at the table commented that if the gifter wasn't known, how could someone say Thanks for the intent? Not saying Thank You would seem rude. And if CCL didn't refund the money, how would anyone know??

The truth: The co-worker was 100% aware of some of the anticipated gifts as well as the potential that a substitution might have to be made (as that had already been reported here on Cruse Critic). She was simply curious, as was I, how Carnival would handle the situation. The gifts were purchased numerous months in advance of the cruise.

Sixteen days after their return, neither of two people had credits back to our cards. I had to call BV and request a research of refund due.

Sometimes it is totally the bungling of the vendor . . . and not the passenger.

That may very well have been the case, and would certainly answer some questions.

But perhaps the CCL Bon Voyage department and its onboard rep (usually one of the dining room hostesses) just completely screwed up. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened to passengers (and gifters) for sure.

Even the people who carefully find (and retain) their BV gift receipts don't always get the desired experience.

A visual example:

A co-worker and fiance' were going on a CCL sailing a bit earlier this year. A few of us in the office decided to arrange several onboard things for them. Some went smoothly, and others, well, not so much.

When ordering via BV online, everyone clearly gets the disclaimer, "In the event an item is not available at the time of sailing an item of equal value will be substituted."

On the cabin desk at arrival were two of these gift receipts . . .

Bon-Voyage-Not-Avail-M.jpg

This, of course, created some questions:

Who gifted this?? What was gifted?? Who is "the hostess"?? What will I now receive??

Quite odd that it doesn't indicate the name of the person who was generously trying to gift them something. Nicely done, Carnival. :rolleyes:

That evening, the dining hostess explained, "Ooo, I don't know, but I'll check on that and tell you tomorrow night". The hostess also brought their Bar Credit coupons, removed the stapled gift receipt, asked them to sign for the deliver and then immediately left with the signed gift receipt that advised who they were from. Luckily they took a moment to read those before signing them.

On the second night, the hostess said she was still unsure about the status of the two missing gifts that were Not Available. On the fourth night she indicated there would be no gift offered and that the gifter would receive a credit back to their card. When asked who the gift was from, the hostess advised that information wasn't available since there was no gift. Again, nicely done, Carnival. :rolleyes:

One of the other people at the table commented that if the gifter wasn't known, how could someone say Thanks for the intent? Not saying Thank You would seem rude. And if CCL didn't refund the money, how would anyone know??

The truth: The co-worker was 100% aware of some of the anticipated gifts as well as the potential that a substitution might have to be made (as that had already been reported here on Cruse Critic). She was simply curious, as was I, how Carnival would handle the situation. The gifts were purchased numerous months in advance of the cruise.

Sixteen days after their return, neither of two people had credits back to our cards. I had to call BV and request a research of refund due.

Sometimes it is totally the bungling of the vendor . . . and not the passenger.

I don't know why it's such a hard concept for many here to grasp that Carnival doesn't always handle things properly. I can certainly understand mistakes happening, but when Carnival makes no effort to minimize the mistakes and compounds the problems with no concern to the customer it is troubling.

To me this whole thing STINKS....First you said your friend LOVES RC...and she "thought" she got the 25.00 from Carnival. If she cruises you would think she knows the cruise line just doesn't GIVE you 25.00

Next you said you sailed many times and have used the service before...Are you really going to give up something you enjoy because of ONE mistake?

I don't know why it's such a hard concept for many here to grasp that Carnival doesn't always handle things properly. I can certainly understand mistakes happening, but when Carnival makes no effort to minimize the mistakes and compounds the problems with no concern to the customer it is troubling.

so what do you think should have been done?

so what do you think should have been done?

In the case of the OP Carnival should have been able to immediately inform the guest that the $25 credit was a gift from the person who arranged it. An apology for any confusion would suffice for me.

In the case Don mentioned I would have expected that Carnival could have offered a choice of 2-3 substitution items that the guest could have chosen from. If none appealed to the guest a S&S account credit could be offered or last option would be to tell the guest a refund will be made to the person who gifted the item.

I realize no one is perfect and mistakes happen. Carnival should show concern and be apologetic when they do. Not knowing who the gifts are from is unacceptable.

. . . In the case Don mentioned I would have expected that Carnival could have offered a choice of 2-3 substitution items that the guest could have chosen from. If none appealed to the guest a S&S account credit could be offered or last option would be to tell the guest a refund will be made to the person who gifted the item.

Yep, I totally agree that should have been the last option considered.

Of course there would also be an option for CCL to initially invest in better quality inventory software.

It is what it is.

where is everyone reading that an apology wasnt given?

I believe there was an apology.

Where are you reading that there *WAS* an apology? :confused:

Per the OP:

When I called Carnival about this they basically said so sad..too bad

Doesn't sound like much of an apology to me.

Exactly.

I found it interesting that so many people are immediately willing to assume that the gift recipient must have screwed up and not seen the card - that it just couldn't have been Carnival's error.

Sometimes a heartfelt "We goofed - I'm terribly sorry" is enough, and maybe if it had been received this wouldn't have escalated so far emotionally with the OP. Maybe in a gesture of goodwill Carnival could also have offered to call the recipient and offer her personal apology. Not everyone is looking for $100 credit or a free cruise.... Carnival is a huge customer-service based organization - they should be experts in PR and being proactive to defuse these kinds of situations.

Just got off the Legend to celebrate my friend's birthday. There was a bottle of wine with a Happy Birthday Card from someone, another card from me saying Happy Birthday from me and that the birthday decorations were from me, and another card saying Happy Birthday please pick up your Drink Coupons at dinner tonight from another friend. All were clearly put on the Desk away from all the other information papers. No problem at all, was very easy.

Then we go to the Steak House to celebrate with friends that night. When I made the reservations told them it was his birthday, at seating we told the Hostess and again the wait staff, NOTHING, they totally ignored it. I didn't want to make a big deal as the dinner & service were not great (a story for another day) I did go to customer service and ask if I can make a comment about it. Anyhow the next night in the MDR they brought a cake and candles and sang. When we got back to the cabin there was a plate of chocolates with a Happy Birthday written on the plate. Then the phone rang with the Steak House Hostess saying they were sorry, they got busy and just forgot. I thanked her and said no problem, mistakes happen.

We had a great cruise, and although you only turn 40 once and we would have liked a silly song and more attention made to him that special night, stuff happens, we are just happy and grateful to be able to cruise as much as we do. I guess my point is yes mistakes happen, you have to roll with them, and also Carnival works well for us. Did we see cut backs, of course how could you not when you have cruised for over 30 years, but for us we are still happy and will continue to cruise Carnival. I think this is a personal decision where everyone has to do what is right for them. I can tell you from experience that mistakes happen on all Cruise Lines and with every big company out there. I won't go into a long story about Celebrity but we had a large group on them a few years ago. It was one problem after another till finally the Hotel Manager said to us, we are not Disney, we do not have their resources... HUH, resources for good customer service. We still laugh about that today!!!

I ordered a cake for my sister's anniversary to be delivered at dinner. They delivered the cake and sang, but never let them know who the cake was from. They thought it was from the waiter, and they gave him a larger tip at the end of the week for it.

I have always purchased a bottle of champagne for my wife and I to enjoy during embarkation through the Carnival store and they have always put a note card with the champagne in our cabin. The note card is small and a few times I have almost thrown it away with the other papers they put on the desk at embarkation.

Archived