What options are available for abandoned passengers?

Shortly before the Majesty left Nassau last Sunday the captain announced that there were three passengers who hadn't returned and if they didn't arrive within five minutes, they would have to find their own way back to Miami. Since we were in the Viking Crown Lounge overlooking the pool, we decided to stroll to the back of the lounge and see if they made it. Within minutes a couple darted from the terminal building and ran toward the ship. It was a replay of a UTube video I saw some time ago (same dock, as a matter of fact). He kept running as the gap of water increased between the ship and the dock. She gave up earlier. They were dressed in swimwear and carrying those $25 RCI beach towels. Since it was Sunday, the shops closed 3 hours beforehand. How do you "make your own way back" to Miami without your passport, wrapped in a beach towel?

How do you "make your own way back" to Miami without your passport, wrapped in a beach towel?

The funny answer: You hitchhike with a spaceship (hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy).

The serious answer: I have read that they take the passport out of the safe and leave it with the port authority.

Options for getting back would be to find an american embassy or consulate, contacting your travel insurance company, having friends wire you money, etc.

It all depends on the situation.

The funny answer: You hitchhike with a spaceship (hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy).

The serious answer: I have read that they take the passport out of the safe and leave it with the port authority.

Options for getting back would be to find an american embassy or consulate, contacting your travel insurance company, having friends wire you money, etc.

It all depends on the situation.

The people left behind might not actually have a passport since Americans do not need one on a closed loop cruise. They would need one to fly back to the states though.

The passengers were not abandoned, they missed the ship, through no fault of the ship. The only option really for getting back to the States from Nassau is to buy a 1 way airline ticket and fly. If they took the chance and cruised without passports, then a trip to the American Embassy or Consulate would be the first step, assuming they are Americans.

The people left behind might not actually have a passport since Americans do not need one on a closed loop cruise. They would need one to fly back to the states though.

Correct. For their sake I hope they had passports, if not, its gonna cost them dearly! Actually its gonna cost them plenty no matter what!! :eek:

Back in the 90's I witnessed a pilot boat carrying passengers who missed the ship. The ship slowed down to almost a stop and the pilot boat pulled up along side and 2 passengers climbed aboard, they same way the pilot climbs aboard when reaching a port, and the way Customs climbs aboard today. Don't know how much they had to pay for this, but I'm sure there was a charge of some sort. Do they still do this, I wonder? Perhaps not cause it seems a little dangerous for a novice.

People miss the ships many times. Cruise lines don't abandon them!

I'm sure 'abandon' was a poor choice of word and the OP realises passengers miss the ship and aren't abandoned.

I like CC and these forums but half of posts are taken up contradicting people or picking people up on words, grammar and spelling. It gets rather tedious !!!!!!

I'm sure 'abandon' was a poor choice of word and the OP realises passengers miss the ship and aren't abandoned.

I like CC and these forums but half of posts are taken up contradicting people or picking people up on words, grammar and spelling. It gets rather tedious !!!!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic :D

It is a common sight (not missing the boat), but passengers arriving by the dozens with only minutes to go before the ship leaves. We usually find a spot on the ship with a good view, and it is kind of entertaining in a way to see some people run to the ship, and others just walking along as if there is no hurry.

Maybe I just plan things, but I always make sure we are back on board with plenty of time prior to the ship leaving. People that wait until the last minute can be delayed by traffic or other seemingly small things that could make the difference in missing the ship.

In all of our cruises, our ship left two people behind in Jamaica. When we were about a mile from shore, the Captain came on the intercom and said he could not leave people stranded in Jamaica, so he basically slowed down and did a circle, while the pilot boat brought the two passengers to the ship.

And contrary to what some believe, we always take our passports with us when we go on shore. But we also take as backup our birth certificates and leave those in our stateroom.

Should our passports be lost or stolen, we have our birth certificates to get off the ship when we return to the US. And should we miss the ship, our passports and credit card will get us to the next port - wherever that may be. I see that as covering all bases.

O.K......so inquiring minds want to know if they made it back on the ship....you mention that the ship was still there, but never said if they were able to get on. (or did they "abandon" them?)

Just for the record, besides taking your passport to shore, it's always recommended you take a camera along also. The ship sailing off into the sunset makes a beautiful picture :D :eek: :D

O.K......so inquiring minds want to know if they made it back on the ship....you mention that the ship was still there, but never said if they were able to get on. (or did they "abandon" them?)

Just for the record, besides taking your passport to shore, it's always recommended you take a camera along also. The ship sailing off into the sunset makes a beautiful picture :D :eek: :D

Oh, they definitely didn't make it. I walked over to the starboard side and watched the gap between the dock and the ship widen as the lead runner finally slowed down when reality sunk in.

And then I went over to port to see if the pilot boat would assist, but it's a small harbor ... I think the pilot boat had already left the dock before there was an opportunity to play that card.

I admit that our little group in the lounge wasn't wasting much sympathy on their plight. I think maybe I feel just a tad guilty.

If they have US passport cards (with them!) they could take water transportation back to the US...

There is a "mail boat" that goes from Nassau to Freeport on Monday. From Freport, there is a fast ferry service to Fort Lauderdale...

In any event, if you do discover you will not make it back to the ship in time, call the Port Agent (# is in the Cruise Compass) to coordinate if the ship can wait, or they can leave your possessions on the dock. (Having your birth certificate will make getting an emergency passport from the US Embassy easier (but not any cheaper. :-) )

Aloha,

John

I have all our important documents scanned and saved onto a credit card size flash drive, it fits in the same plastic pouch my sea pass card is kept in so I have it where ever I go.

I have on it:

Passport

Birth Certificate

State Drivers License

Travel Insurance

Health Insurance Card

Copy of Credit Cards

Travel Papers,

Flight tickets

Hotel Bookings

List of emergency contacts

Kathleen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In Cozumel, some years back, we had not left the dock as of yet, but a Carnival ship had just pulled away, when a couple came running down the dock. Several Mexican soldiers stopped them, and then lead them to a pilot boat, which immediately left for the departed ship.

We could watch the ship stop it's engines, and slow down to allow the passengers back aboard amid great cheering from the onboard passengers.

When people say that passengers are left behind "all of the time", I have, in all of our cruises, witnessed only one couple that the captain held the ship for a half hour, then had the crew put a suitcase on the dock, in care of the port agent.

So, I would say that the case of passengers missing the ship is quite infrequent.;)

Rick

It is a common sight (not missing the boat), but passengers arriving by the dozens with only minutes to go before the ship leaves. We usually find a spot on the ship with a good view, and it is kind of entertaining in a way to see some people run to the ship, and others just walking along as if there is no hurry.

Maybe I just plan things, but I always make sure we are back on board with plenty of time prior to the ship leaving. People that wait until the last minute can be delayed by traffic or other seemingly small things that could make the difference in missing the ship.

In all of our cruises, our ship left two people behind in Jamaica. When we were about a mile from shore, the Captain came on the intercom and said he could not leave people stranded in Jamaica, so he basically slowed down and did a circle, while the pilot boat brought the two passengers to the ship.

And contrary to what some believe, we always take our passports with us when we go on shore. But we also take as backup our birth certificates and leave those in our stateroom.

Should our passports be lost or stolen, we have our birth certificates to get off the ship when we return to the US. And should we miss the ship, our passports and credit card will get us to the next port - wherever that may be. I see that as covering all bases.

On our last Oasis cruise we left four people in Jamaica.

Somebody may know the answer to this, but I'm repeating what I think I read on here once. I think somebody said that once the ship leaves the dock, (hoisted all the lines and such) the cruiseline is "charged" to dock again.....So I'm guessing once they're "away" from the dock is when they would have to pay again if they came back. That might be why they are somewhat willing to meet a pilot boat, but not come back to get somebody

Anybody got any insight into this?

Many experts advise NOT taking passports if not required to. The obvious reason: the odds of your passport being stolen are vastly greater than the odds of your missing the ship.

That having been said, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum on Cruise Critic. I surely hope this note will not start it up again. :confused:

On our last cruise in August on the Majesty a family of 4 were left behind, husband, wife and two children. We were in Key West, it was the last day of the cruise before the ship was heading back to Miami. I figure the people would probably be able to rent a car and drive back to Miami to pick up there belongings on the ship, hopefully they had a credit card on them.

Archived