Upgrade without knowing?

I just got a complimentary upgrade from promenade accessible stateroom on deck 8 . This was cabin 8315 . I went to cabin 2344 , deck two . Also accessible. Not sure i am going to like it . I was kind of liking the view over promenade...

What do you think? This is my first cruise on RCCL. . Please don't think I am ungrateful....

Thanks

Charleyann

I would not be upset about that change, nor would I be jumping for joy. There are advantages and disadvantages for each of these IMO. Since you are needing an accessible cabin, I'm guessing that you will need to take elevators more than stairs. You may spend a little more time on elevators from 2 than 8, but will have an ocean view when paid for an inside view. If it really bothers you, call them and see if they can put you back in your previous cabin and put the one who replaced you in the ocean view cabin.

Me personally, I would prefer a promenade view on deck 8 than an oceanview on deck 2.

I stayed in a promenade room on voyager and we liked it

That is what I was thinking. Especially over Christmas? Should I get my TA to change back ???

Gosh , what to do!!!

Charleyann

I wouldn't feel ungrateful at all. An upgrade to one person is a disappointment to another. But, if you don't like it call ASAP before they book your other cabin.

I just did. I have cruised 15 times but never on RCCL . Promenade would look cute decked out for Christmas. Especially the bow window. We are cruising over Christmas. I hope I made the right choice!

Charleyann

Hurray! Having sailed in a PR and an outside, I personally think you made the right choice. The oceanview windows are small and the PR window is like a window seat. Watch the parades from your window if you can. No need to fight the crowds. That was the best part of that type of cabin.

Now that is one that I really do not consider an upgrade...was it Royal that upgraded you:confused:....something seems a bit odd they would upgrade you this far out for a Dec sailing:confused:

Yes it was RCCL that upgraded me ....our cruise is Dec 23/12

I a, on with them now tryi g to change it back. Fingers crossed it is still available !!!:)

Charleyann

I also see on your signature that you are going to Disney World for Christmas too? If you don't know about them, there are DISboards that are just like cruise critic.

Been to Disneyworld many times. Exactly doing the Disney Fantasy just before this cruise. I am just not familiar with RCCL and promenade cabin. I do know I feel like I am in a basement on these lower decks.....

Thank you

Charleyann

I am a BS (Balcony Snob) but if my only choices would be a cabin on Deck 2 or a Promenade Cabin with a view of the Christmas Decorations I would choose the Promenade Cabin.

Hopefully your Promenade Accessible Cabin is still available and you can get it back, that is, if you can get it back. If not, enjoy your view of the ocean. Either way you will still be on a cruise ship and they is not other place I rather be than on a ship.

Happy Cruising.

I am a BS (Balcony Snob) but if my only choices would be a cabin on Deck 2 or a Promenade Cabin with a view of the Christmas Decorations I would choose the Promenade Cabin.

Hopefully your Promenade Accessible Cabin is still available and you can get it back, that is, if you can get it back. If not, enjoy your view of the ocean. Either way you will still be on a cruise ship and they is not other place I rather be than on a ship.

Happy Cruising.

I like balconies too, however no accessible cabins were available. I am pretty upset with the travel agency. Yes , RCCL gave me an upgrade but the TA failed to ask If this was satisfactory. Just sent me an email saying congratulations you were given a complimentary upgrade. They did not ask just sent me am emailing at closing giving me the new cabin number...

Inaddition to this , the travel agency is holding my promenade cabin for another client !!!!! Grrrrr. RCCL couldn't give it back !!!!

Not sure of my options now :(

Charleyann

I like balconies too, however no accessible cabins were available. I am pretty upset with the travel agency. Yes , RCCL gave me an upgrade but the TA failed to ask If this was satisfactory. Just sent me an email saying congratulations you were given a complimentary upgrade. They did not ask just sent me am emailing at closing giving me the new cabin number...

Inaddition to this , the travel agency is holding my promenade cabin for another client !!!!! Grrrrr. RCCL couldn't give it back !!!!

Charleyann

If the TA is holding your original cabin for another client, was it actually RCI who "Upgraded you" or was it at the TA's request, so that their new client could have the room they wanted, I would tell the TA that as they congratulated you on this "upgrade" then they can congratulate the other customer instead!!

If the TA is holding your original cabin for another client, was it actually RCI who "Upgraded you" or was it at the TA's request, so that their new client could have the room they wanted, I would tell the TA that as they congratulated you on this "upgrade" then they can congratulate the other customer instead!!

oh, yes yes yes....I would be all over that TA!!

Charleyann

Now isn't that MIGHTY interesting.....I knew something was sounding odd here.....Royal doesn't usually dish out upgrades months in advance.

Charleyann

What do you mean the TA is "holding it for another client"? Something seems fishy. If the TA is "holding it" then they can move you right back to the cabin they sold you!

I just emailed and called agency and the TA... She is new to me, mine left without notice and they stuck me with her. I just left a message and I did go all over them and told them RCCL said it was customary to ask the client if the change is satisfactory.

Told them too , I thought something was sneaky here and I had two cruises and if I did not get my cabin Back , I was pulling out of them and going elsewhere...

Explain how she already knew a client who wanted this cabin and held it before I even knew what hit me between the eyes...

I was trying to making this cruise extra special. My son has a chronic, life-threatening and fatal illness. Been hospitalized 6 times this year and after 300 admissions to hospital he is graduating. He jumped hurdles and obstacles all his life and God love him, we will conquer this one too if I have one breath !!!!!grrrrrr

Charleyann

Here is the email sent just before closing 6:35pm Atlantic time......Good Afternoon Mr. and Mrs. Bartlett,

Great News! You have received a complementary upgrade to a category AY ocean view accessible cabin 2344.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Leana

Customer Service Department

I just emailed and called agency and the TA... She is new to me, mine left without notice and they stuck me with her. I just left a message and I did go all over them and told them RCCL said it was customary to ask the client if the change is satisfactory.

Told them too , I thought something was sneaky here and I had two cruises and if I did not get my cabin Back , I was pulling out of them and going elsewhere...

Explain how she already knew a client who wanted this cabin and held it before I even knew what hit me between the eyes...

I was trying to making this cruise extra special. My son has a chronic, life-threatening and fatal illness. Been hospitalized 6 times this year and after 300 admissions to hospital he is graduating. He jumped hurdles and obstacles all his life and God love him, we will conquer this one too if I have one breath !!!!!grrrrrr

Charleyann

Here is the email sent just before closing 6:35pm Atlantic time......Good Afternoon Mr. and Mrs. Bartlett,

Great News! You have received a complementary upgrade to a category AY ocean view accessible cabin 2344.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Leana

Customer Service Department

Congratulations on your sons pending graduation, you must be so proud! I still say something is not right here, stick with it and get the cabin back you booked. Good Luck.

Grrrr is right! I am angry for you! They should have asked you! We ALL decide what cabins we want for different reasons. Some pick higher floors. Some pick close to elevators. And we have had this very same discussion MANY times that a PR to a Deck 2 OV is NO upgrade! They better make this right!

Good luck!

I'm also with you on this one! and congratulations to your son!

If you will, please let us know how this turns out. ;) I like cliffhangers, but only when the next "episode" airs that ties everything together. :D

Thank you and everyone for your kind remarks. I will definitely let you know what I hear tomorrow . They must have thought I had stupid written across my forehead , and to some degree that is true as I have never cruised RCCL before . However, when RCCL told me that TA was holding the old cabin, then I knew something wasn't right......

Last time with the cruise company so highly spoken about on these forums . I am done with them....on board credits aren't worth poor customer service!!!

Charleyann

Archived