Dress Code For Men

Ballyboffin

No it was not a relation of Nicos - different nationality.

Hotel Cruise Director was off on holiday to Las Vagas at the end of our cruise, so his mind was elsewhere.

Now Palo is back on board perhaps future cruisers will have a more enjoyable time than we did - we had several issues which even though we complained, or asked for clarity, were not addressed.

When I have more time I will write a trip report and highlight all that I feel is now not up to Silverseas previous high standards of service.

• 2 weeks later...

All,

We're considering back to back SS cruises next May. This will be our first experience with SS. I've read all the posts on this thread. I have no issues with the dress code during the evening. My question is about the dress on board during the day. Are shorts and nice t-shirts acceptable? I've seen some photos of people lounging around the pool so I assume folks walk from their room in swim wear. t-shirts and sandals. Bottom line question I guess is the dress during the day fairly informal?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. I assumed so but just wanted to confirm since this will be our first SS cruise. Dress codes on cruise sites or forums always seem to focus on evening wear so one is never sure what is acceptable during the day.

• 5 weeks later...

I have just received my ticket documents for the Silver Shadow Alaska cruise.

In the dress code section it informs me that on 7-day summer sailings, from June through August, in the Baltic, Mediterranean and Alaska formal night is optional, only a jacket is required for men.

Being new to Silver Seas can anyone tell me if this is a new variation to the dress code.

In the dress code section it informs me that on 7-day summer sailings, from June through August, in the Baltic, Mediterranean and Alaska formal night is optional, only a jacket is required for men. Being new to Silver Seas can anyone tell me if this is a new variation to the dress code.
Technically speaking, I would say that no, this is not a new variation to the dress code. SS has provided Guests various dining venues to enjoy if they preferred to dine sans formal wear. However, the new wrinkle is that formal night is now optional throughout the ship, including The Restaurant and Le Champagne which has always been formal in the past.

Technically speaking, I would say that no, this is not a new variation to the dress code. SS has provided Guests various dining venues to enjoy if they preferred to dine sans formal wear. However, the new wrinkle is that formal night is now optional throughout the ship, including The Restaurant and Le Champagne which has always been formal in the past.

It does seem perhaps potentially alarmingly imprecise.

Either they are saying that either the code has been relaxed completely or that customers are being funnelled unexpectedly to coned off parts of the ship?

If it wasn't clear from the note then it is clearly going to upset a segment of the passengers. Who knows which?

It does seem perhaps potentially alarmingly imprecise.

Either they are saying that either the code has been relaxed completely or that customers are being funnelled unexpectedly to coned off parts of the ship?

If it wasn't clear from the note then it is clearly going to upset a segment of the passengers. Who knows which?

I agree, it is a bit imprecise and could certainly be interpreted either way as you duly noted.

Our June 9 voyage on the Cloud is 10-days, so I won't be able to report first hand, but will be interested to hear from others on 7-day itineraries to see how SS executes the optional formal night.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just returned from the Cloud and for our sailing, the dress code was still formal, informal and casual. I believe that for the MED that will change in June.

As a long standing poster to cruise critic, I always take an "extra" look at how everyone is dressed on the stated evenings.

It seemed that everyone did adhere to the dress code at all times. I cannot say that I saw anyone who did not wear a jacket informal evenings and everyone was in a suit or tux on formal evenings. Most men did go with the suit on our paricular sailing. If there were one or two who did not adhere, I certainly did not notice them.

Barbara

Hi,

Just returned from the Cloud and for our sailing, the dress code was still formal, informal and casual. I believe that for the MED that will change in June.

As a long standing poster to cruise critic, I always take an "extra" look at how everyone is dressed on the stated evenings.

It seemed that everyone did adhere to the dress code at all times. I cannot say that I saw anyone who did not wear a jacket informal evenings and everyone was in a suit or tux on formal evenings. Most men did go with the suit on our paricular sailing. If there were one or two who did not adhere, I certainly did not notice them.

Barbara

Just received our silver box..sailing Silver Wind 22nd June, 9 nights 1 formal night:mad:

10 night 2 formals...things are changing from the last time we sailed..what a shame.

M.P.

I have just read through this complete post and am really ashamed that I have ever cruised on Silverseas.

Fortunately we obviously never came in contact with any of the posters who obviously consider themselves better than anyone else and look down their noses at those that don't "dress up to the nines"

I personally do but that is my choice and no one else's.

We have been fortunate to have cruised with many fabulous people in our 2 silverseas cruises and have made many great friends.

I would ask any potential future Silverseas cruisers to understand that the ship has very few of these snotty cruisers on board and you would be very unlucky indeed if you did happen to encounter one.

If you want Silversea to compete in this difficult market then they must try to accommodate all Cruisers who wish to travel with them

I would ask any potential future Silverseas cruisers to understand that the ship has very few of these snotty cruisers on board and you would be very unlucky indeed if you did happen to encounter one.
LOL Thanks!

Having fallen in love with Oceania I had forgotten all about these type of threads. I am considering Silversea because I often travel solo and find their single supplement rather attractive over Oceania's 200%.

I find taking a carry-on and second personal bag to be quite sufficient for my travels, some as long as 2 months. Now for travel focused primarily on diving or skiing, then a checked bag is in order. The point is that I find the Silversea dress code quite acceptable, and will be happy to throw a jacket in my carry-on. Formal evenings at La Terraza will be fine, and if the particular itinerary allows similar attire in other dining venues then so much the better.

BTW, "Formal" is the way I found out about Oceania. A few years ago, being fed up with the petty arguments over what is acceptable attire on formal nights in another CC forum, I decided to check other forums to see if the sentiments were similar on other cruise lines. I went to a variety of CC forums and did searches on the word "Formal". As everyone can surmise, in each forum this hot button topic yielded a few hundred threads containing the dreaded "Formal" search criteria. However, when I got to the Oceania forum the search only produced a paltry 3 threads, all with no more than a few posts summing things up by saying there were no formal nights. Absolutely refreshing. I find there is little to quibble about over in that forum, how boring and stress free. You would think you were on a cruise or something. ;)

• 3 months later...
Agree that relaxed dress code on Oceania is good, but how do we get them to stop the constant Bingo announcements? I for one am done until I hear they have.

What do Oceania's bingo announcements have to do with the Silversea dress code? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I believe as well a relaxed dress code is fantastic! A Suit and tie does not mean the person looks pretty! I have seen so many ugly and tasteless suits&ties...

With all the regulations of air travel and restricted luggage this is a plus and for people who wear the whole day suits for business I bet they are happy to go a bit more casual! By the end it is a vacation!!!!!

Archived