Dress Code For Men

Ballyboffin

This is the drawback of making this type of thread a sticky.

The reality is that no one is going to read all the previous posts and the subject will be confusing.

And, as the dress code changes overtime (and it will) having everything lumped together in one thread in my opinion is confusing particularly to a first time Silversea Cruiser and the reality is that is usually the person who asks in the first place.

The problem is that on most boards when someone asks what the attire is instead of people just pointing them to the writeup of the cruise line which to me is fairly straightforward it opens up a can of worms where everyone must give their opinion on dress and that is why we ended up with a sticky.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

As I started this thread I thought I should comment on the dress code on our voyage on the Whisper last week. I was pleasntly surprised that everyone could dress as comfortably or formally as they wanted, it was all so very relaxed. In fact I brought home clothes that I deemed too dressy even for the formal nights. I didn't see many people in OTT designer clothes. ( Except for my husband's shoes which is another story lol )

We were lucky enough to meet some lovely people who made our cruise special. We burned most of the extra calories just by laughing! ( well almost )

Thank you to Joefromchicago, his lovely wife Pat, Curtis & Teresa from Kentucky and David & Debbie from Vancouver for your fantastic company, you guys are all fantastic :D:D

As I started this thread I thought I should comment on the dress code on our voyage on the Whisper last week. I was pleasntly surprised that everyone could dress as comfortably or formally as they wanted, it was all so very relaxed. In fact I brought home clothes that I deemed too dressy even for the formal nights. I didn't see many people in OTT designer clothes. ( Except for my husband's shoes which is another story lol )

We were lucky enough to meet some lovely people who made our cruise special. We burned most of the extra calories just by laughing! ( well almost )

Thank you to Joefromchicago, his lovely wife Pat, Curtis & Teresa from Kentucky and David & Debbie from Vancouver for your fantastic company, you guys are all fantastic :D:D

What is OTT designer clothes? Are you saying the crowd was well dressed? I guess if Joe wants Prada shoes, they may have been!

What is OTT designer clothes? Are you saying the crowd was well dressed? I guess if Joe wants Prada shoes, they may have been!

OTT = Over The Top...... And oh yes we were all turned out nicely :p lol.

Love to know what you envisage Joe's Prada shoes to look like........

OTT = Over The Top...... And oh yes we were all turned out nicely :p lol.

Love to know what you envisage Joe's Prada shoes to look like........

I envision black slip-ons with a red stripe on the sole???

Thank you all for your advice, now all my husband has to do is leave out the clothes he wants to take and I get to do his packing ;)

Joe, glad that you verified that you wear 'SHOES' ! That will stop John appearing in his sandals and socks on such occasions LOL

Sorry Scotspea that you got in bother by your comment. I think that though we are all English speaking, things said in jest can be misconstrued by different nationalities as sarcasm. Only the Scots and the Irish have (roughly) the same sense of humour :D

Most of us Down-Under do also!!!:D:D;)

Cheers M.P.

Well we did come from Hillsborough:eek:,,albeit 180years ago:D

Cheers Gary.

Ahh Hillsborough I know very well, lovely wee town with nice shops and lovely restaurants, very 'Posh' these days... We go to 'The Plough' regularly but our favourite would have to be 'The Parson's Nose' in fact we're going there for lunch tomorrow! ( Just don't ask me whereabouts it is as I'd have to answer 'Oirish' style and I may get a life ban from this site ;);) )

Have you been back to the auld homeland ???

Ahh Hillsborough I know very well, lovely wee town with nice shops and lovely restaurants, very 'Posh' these days... We go to 'The Plough' regularly but our favourite would have to be 'The Parson's Nose' in fact we're going there for lunch tomorrow! ( Just don't ask me whereabouts it is as I'd have to answer 'Oirish' style and I may get a life ban from this site ;);) )

Have you been back to the auld homeland ???

Ballyboffin.....Yes we were there in 2007 for 4 days in Hillsborough

had dinner each evening at The Plough [Mash & Guinness!!:D]

stayed at Fort William.

Cheers Gary

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Gary,

I haven't been on this site for a wee while, just saw your message. I'm so glad you enjoyed The Plough (AND the Guinness) Proof of Irish blood that is LOL :))) Have you managed to trace your family?

I'm wondering about your BB name... My husband is one of those rolled up trouser leg goat stalkers too! He won't shake hands with me though LOL:))

Have A Happy, Healthy & Peaceful 2013

Pat X

Hey Gary,

I haven't been on this site for a wee while, just saw your message. I'm so glad you enjoyed The Plough (AND the Guinness) Proof of Irish blood that is LOL :))) Have you managed to trace your family?

I'm wondering about your BB name... My husband is one of those rolled up trouser leg goat stalkers too! He won't shake hands with me though LOL:))

Have A Happy, Healthy & Peaceful 2013

Pat X

Hi Pat,......Yes to the first......& Yes to the second 921!!! And thank You for the good wishes..Also to You & the Bro.

Cheers Gary.M.M.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keeping on track-

We have just returned from a 16 night Panama canal cruise and were surprised how Silversea are no longer enforcing the published dress code - On 2 of the 3 formal nights we witnessed a gentleman at the disco in the Panorama lounge in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops !!

Despite Don (cruise director) suggesting to the barman that he speak to his manager about whether he should say something to this person the first time this happened (as other passengers were getting annoyed and leaving) nothing happened.

The second time we witnessed this the bar manager was present, but again nothing was said to the passenger.

If Silversea are "softening" the dress code for this ship (or the fleet) then why still advertise, both in thier brochures and every day in the chronicle. If there is a rule then this MUST be enforced, otherwise its just a farce.

One of the reasons I choose Siversea is for the "dressing up" which I love, and I would not be willing to pay premium prices for a more "casual" Carnival style cruise.

Thanks Gema for sharing, not good.

Pls don't tell me that was Nico's dad (parents of the two year old who have permanently reserved La Terraza at all meals, table for five months they are on board)

I still maintain that staff are scared to tell guests how they should behave when on their vacation,as managenment will not back them up when it is clearly hard to fill the ships in these difficult times.

Any guests that are upset by things not being the Silversea way should go straight to the Hotel director on the ship,with their complaint.

Thanks Gema for sharing, not good.

Pls don't tell me that was Nico's dad (parents of the two year old who have permanently reserved La Terraza at all meals, table for five months they are on board)

I am probably making one and one make three, but is this a friend of "the family"? Sounds like it to me.;)

Archived