Dress Code For Men

Ballyboffin

I doubt it.:D When I said "pen" I meant as in "holding pen" .........

For many years we simply decamped uncomplainingly to our suite and had a sandwich (or something light) and DVD night on formal nights. We use to spend more on suites than we do now so if you are in say 801 on Whisper or Shadow it's no great hardhsip. I think we recognised that everything you do that involves a large number of other people having different desires and aspirations needs to be treated in a stoic way and it wasn't any great issue for us and it's unfair to others to simply continue whingeing about it. When you buy a cruise you know what's expected.

I have had long debates with SS management about formal nights but they have a very difficult and somewhat risky path to navigate. They fully understand that their current customers largely like what they see as the magic of the elegant formal night, and changing this might have an unknown level of loyalty defect to other lines.

They also fully understand that the current regime puts off an unknown segment of what may be their future ie the younger affluent who are put off by "dressing up". There is a large untapped sector for affluent younger people who like the smaller ships and love the luxury but aren't use to having people tell them what they must wear if they want to eat. I think that is their future and (potentially more profitable) market but making the transition is something no one really knows how to make ..... unless you do it on one ship trial first ...........;)

Sorry, missing your point here. If you understand and accept the dress code, and also appreciate that the vast majority are happy with it, why are you still trying to get it changed. There are other luxury brands that offer your required 'smart casual' dress code.

Of course we all got it. And I sent it back. It looks like at least you are willing to abide with the DVDs and dinner in the cabin scenario. It just seems that it would be easier for you to choose a cruiseline that met your needs, knowing what you know in advance.

Sorry, missing your point here. If you understand and accept the dress code, and also appreciate that the vast majority are happy with it, why are you still trying to get it changed. There are other luxury brands that offer your required 'smart casual' dress code.

If I told you I would have to kill you ...... ;)

Of course we all got it. And I sent it back. It looks like at least you are willing to abide with the DVDs and dinner in the cabin scenario. It just seems that it would be easier for you to choose a cruiseline that met your needs, knowing what you know in advance.

Well if I like the line and the issue isn't important I can't see why the confusion. We keep ourselves to ourselves anyway .... never join tables and hardly mix. We like it like that.

Well if I like the line and the issue isn't important I can't see why the confusion. We keep ourselves to ourselves anyway .... never join tables and hardly mix. We like it like that.

To each their own I say, everyone has their own idea of what they want on holiday, as is their right. This will be our first cruise on SS and normally we are of the 'No news, no shoes' brigade. However for an upcoming milestone birthday we thought that we'd like to experience the whole cruise thing and are looking forward to dressing up!

To each their own I say, everyone has their own idea of what they want on holiday, as is their right. This will be our first cruise on SS and normally we are of the 'No news, no shoes' brigade. However for an upcoming milestone birthday we thought that we'd like to experience the whole cruise thing and are looking forward to dressing up!

Exactly! I really hope you enjoy your first SS cruise. I'm sure you will.

Each person can make of their cruise what they want of it. In our case I'd always hankered after my own boat, but the initial cost and annual costs made trying my first SS cruise many years ago in a decent suite seem a rational alternative. I'm not bothered about food quality or drink quantity - just a balcony and the first tender off in the mornings for a wander and we're happy.

Enjoy your cruise and dressing up!

We have been to see them live 3 times and going again in Dec, ( Booked last Dec! ) Brendan just wings it and it is hilarious to see the rest of the cast trying not to laugh, mind you the language is dreadful lol.

Abolutely luv Mrs Brown. As u say Ballyboffin, Brendan constantly ad libs and the rest of the cast try not to laugh.

I would luv to see them live.

Cheers

Jennifer

A couple of well reasoned posts on SB board #285, #287 from JPH814.

No real difference in the heat or tenacity of the argument however!!

The whole issue could be resolved simply.

If those that like dressing up on formal nights get dressed up on formal nights but behave as they do normally when going about their lives off-ship (hopefully) and simply not look at those that they would prefer not to see and dislike ...... and the MD's always put likewise dressed people on likewise dressed tables then the whole cerfuffle will go away.

In ordinary life decent and nice people don't make such a fuss about what other people wear (within reason .......) and apply a "live and let live" approach for navigating life's difficult path - so why not just do the same on the ship?!

The idea that a small group of people who like to overdress want everyone else to do so is selfish and bizarre.;)

:):):)

The whole issue could be resolved simply.

If those that like dressing up on formal nights get dressed up on formal nights but behave as they do normally when going about their lives off-ship (hopefully) and simply not look at those that they would prefer not to see and dislike ...... and the MD's always put likewise dressed people on likewise dressed tables then the whole cerfuffle will go away.

In ordinary life decent and nice people don't make such a fuss about what other people wear (within reason .......) and apply a "live and let live" approach for navigating life's difficult path - so why not just do the same on the ship?!

The idea that a small group of people who like to overdress want everyone else to do so is selfish and bizarre.;)

:):):)

Proud to be both selfish and bizarre.

Archived