White!

skiwee

Dressbarn is selling white right now...not snow white, however it's still white!:D

I've never paid attention to that rule. I just bought an awesome pair of ankle pants from Talbots for our upcoming cruises and I will be taking them along. We want to start cruising more, so I'm buying mostly black and white pants and adding colorful blouses to mix and match. My goal is to take much less. I agree with many of the opinions here...the white rule is seriously outdated!

I agree!! White, black and jean Capri, two weeks in Europe! Two Carry on bags and 1 checked. That rule of white after Labor Day is so out !!!!

I think winter whites have always been okay. I agree though, it's kind of a silly rule and not followed much anymore. It's all about common sense. An airy white cotton peasant skirt in Jan. in New York would look silly and be cold. A nice white wool pair of slacks would be just fine.

The US is the only country where I've heard of the white rule. Do they feel the same way about it in Canada?

Okay, come winter I can't imagine anybody here wearing white shoes, but I hate the gloom that seems to descend on so much clothing in winter.

I'm glad we all agree. :) I think it is a stupid rule too but there are quite a few that I know that still follow it. My mom for one but she is almost 80 and some things are hard to let go of at that age. I never have issues wearing white all year and I think most of my clothes I packed for this cruise are white. :)

Come on, somebody, tell the world why it is that in the US nobody is supposed to wear white after Labour Day. When I lived in Germany, nothing was more gorgeous in winter than lovely white woollen coats, and white fluffy hats. Okay, no white high heels, but I have white fur lined boots (it gets very cold in Germany in winter). In France a couple of years ago, when the temperature really dropped at the end of October, I and lots of ladies in Paris were donning flattering white hats and wrapping white woollen scarves around our necks. White is the colour of snow and for many people is a fabulous colour (okay, I know it's a neutral - please, no corrections here) as it throws light up into their face. :)

Well other countries do not have that rule because they do not have that holiday-LOL!

Apparently some people need those rules- I have seen nitwits here in Georgia USA on a cool late November day (temps maybe 45 F) in shorts and sandals with a coat-LOL! I guess they do not go by comfort as I do!

BTW it is only the pure white that is a no-no-"winter white" (an off white, ivory, pale cream) is very popular in boots and coats and clothing-and is beautiful as you say. But even that rule has exceptions-a pure white long sleeved blouse is worn with dark wool (or other heavy winter materials) skirts/slacks.

Plus as one poster mentioned, if you live in southern California or Florida or the southern part any of the states bordering Mexico-it does not really matter-white is fine-as you have summer year round.

My friend from Maine does. She's nuts about the "white" rule. I'm from California and anything go's. I ironed my 5 white linen pants in various lengths and they will go in my suitcase for my 2 Dec and 2 Jan cruises. Now to figure out my tops. I love white in the Caribbean and Bahamas all year.

I think you answered your own question-she is from Maine and you are from southern California-in Maine you need light jackets in the evenings/mornings in August.

Now me being from Georgia where we do not really have cool weather until November and no real winter until December; I will wear white after labor Day but usually by October I have put away my white and my more tropical summery colors-as it IS cooler in October with highs of 75 instead of 90 as it is normally Labor Day weekend around here.

Another difference around here was that you were allowed to wear white shoes Easter Sunday-but not before-we never had to wait until Memorial Day-LOL!

Well other countries do not have that rule because they do not have that holiday-LOL!

Apparently some people need those rules- I have seen nitwits here in Georgia USA on a cool late November day (temps maybe 45 F) in shorts and sandals with a coat-LOL! I guess they do not go by comfort as I do!

BTW it is only the pure white that is a no-no-"winter white" (an off white, ivory, pale cream) is very popular in boots and coats and clothing-and is beautiful as you say. But even that rule has exceptions-a pure white long sleeved blouse is worn with dark wool (or other heavy winter materials) skirts/slacks.

Plus as one poster mentioned, if you live in southern California or Florida or the southern part any of the states bordering Mexico-it does not really matter-white is fine-as you have summer year round.

Hey, we have Labour Day but - yes, note this - it's spelt differently (ho ho). We still love our British heritage here. Our Labour Day is in March, so there's a good chance that it's still a tad warm, although of course it's autumn (fall) here. And, hey, I bet if you go to any disco of a Saturday night you'll see girls with big hair wearing short skirts, black stockings and white shoes. Totally gorgeous, n'est pas? :rolleyes:

Hey, we have Labour Day but - yes, note this - it's spelt differently (ho ho). We still love our British heritage here. Our Labour Day is in March, so there's a good chance that it's still a tad warm, although of course it's autumn (fall) here. And, hey, I bet if you go to any disco of a Saturday night you'll see girls with big hair wearing short skirts, black stockings and white shoes. Totally gorgeous, n'est pas? :rolleyes:

You must remember disco wear is not necessarily fashion wear but usually fad wear-so different rules and usually different age groups that go for one or the other-fads come and go very quickly, fashion comes and go also, it just hangs around a bit longer. However, I am not really into "fashion" either I like the old staples that never go out of style myself, you know the "classics."

I do not remember seeing black hose with white shoes around here-but "do-rags and torn shirts and jeans" there are plenty of that on the younger set. A lot of short skirts and leggins also worn with boots in the winter, sandals in the summer. I'm too old though for any of that-I would just look silly wearing such LOL! People would assume I had Alzheimers wearing any of that.

Now I do remember the white hose from 20 plus years ago and I would pair them with black shoes-does that count? LOL! In the winter it was white tights, in the summer the more sheer semi opaque white hose. Those were ugly even back then-LOL! but I did it because others did it- a slave to fads/fashion back then!

I am from Alabama and today the temp was 83 degrees F. and I had on shorts and sandles. I was raised to not wear white after Labor Day, but over the years I have changed my thinking! I still don't wear white shoes after Labor Day(even cruising the Caribbean), but I will wear winter whites and off whites. I just have a thing about white shoes that I can't get over, but I don't judge what any else wears and if you want to wear white-go for it and I don't believe anyone would call you out for it!

any color is right at any time of the year.

I now live in the mid-Atlantic and there is a definite small segment of people who think white after Labor Day is gauche. Do I care? Not even a little!

I wear white linen in the winter sometimes and people will ask "are you getting ready for vacation? Bless your heart!" If you are from the South, you know what "bless your heart" generally implies!!

I never take white pants on vacation regardless of the season except for ones I wear in the evening. I don't plan on spending any of my vacation in the laundry room. (Maybe I would bring them if I got free laundry.)

Good point!-but as hot as it was in the Med this summer I was grateful I brought 2 pairs. I did well too because I got no real dirt on them-and so was able to rinse them in the bathroom sink and then wear them again.

I had intended to send out laundry on ship-because we had to keep our packing down and that kind of heat you do not want to wear something twice no matter the color-unfortunately the ship's laundry was closed until the end of the cruise. I was glad I had brought some "Tide to Go" for just in case. It WAS a bit of hassle but at least we had clean clothing every day.

White is for summer and it IS summer in the Southern Caribbean and that is where our cruise is going - I always wear white on Caribbean Cruises. Just like if you take an Alaska cruise you better take warm layers - even if it is July. You dress for where you are GOING - not for where you are LEAVING.:)

White is for summer and it IS summer in the Southern Caribbean and that is where our cruise is going - I always wear white on Caribbean Cruises. Just like if you take an Alaska cruise you better take warm layers - even if it is July. You dress for where you are GOING - not for where you are LEAVING.:)

I only go to Key West and Cozumel in January but I am bringing my white capris-the locals in both places wear white so why should't I.

Archived