Hearing impaired and muts

Teris50

I'd be willing to bet that Princess thinks they are accomodating the deaf and hard-of-hearing by cranking up the volume for MUTS past the 10 mark on the dial.:eek: It's always loud enough to feel the vibrations in my chest cavity. We always avoid the pool area when anything is playing on MUTS.

BTW, before you flame me, I too have a hearing loss - which is why I avoid venues where the volume is cranked up. I also travel with earplugs to use when excessive noise cannot be avoided.

I'd be willing to bet that Princess thinks they are accomodating the deaf and hard-of-hearing by cranking up the volume for MUTS past the 10 mark on the dial.:eek: It's always loud enough to feel the vibrations in my chest cavity. We always avoid the pool area when anything is playing on MUTS.

BTW, before you flame me, I too have a hearing loss - which is why I avoid venues where the volume is cranked up. I also travel with earplugs to use when excessive noise cannot be avoided.

The same applies to the show lounge - I'm not sure if they do for the heading impaired or because they feel louder is better. :rolleyes:

No they wouldn't. Also - ADA does not require movie theaters to provide close captioning.

Are you sure of that? I know our theater has CC every Tuesday on the late afternoon shows. It's also $5 Tuesday. They are obviously appealing to older retired people at that time. They always tell us that the movie has CC so that we aren't surprised. It's a nice compromise...less desireable time but cheaper with CC. Maybe MUTS could do the same...show the movie twice..once with CC.

Are you sure of that? I know our theater has CC every Tuesday on the late afternoon shows. It's also $5 Tuesday. They are obviously appealing to older retired people at that time. They always tell us that the movie has CC so that we aren't surprised. It's a nice compromise...less desireable time but cheaper with CC. Maybe MUTS could do the same...show the movie twice..once with CC.

Yes - I looked it up: http://www.captions.com/deafrigh.html

ADA laws are something that are always provided (building code laws though depend on varying things) - not just on Tuesdays :) A lot of hearing impaired people can't make matinees due to school/work, etc...

Though it is nice of theaters if they do provide captions. In my town, only one theatre provides it last time I checked (captioning) and I am not sure when. Though others provide "assisted listening devices" which I am not sure what that is.

My mom is visually impaired so I follow ADA how it refers to these individuals more then hearing impaired. Though because of that, I am more aware of ADA then the average person.

No they wouldn't. Also - ADA does not require movie theaters to provide close captioning.

I don't think not knowing English is considered a disability under ADA. If it was - every sign in the US would be in 12 languages.

The DoJ published a notice in August 2010 indicating they planned on taking public comment on the subject. Their intent was to determine what would be they proper requirement to place on movie theaters (ie: 25%/33%/50% of all new, digital movies would have to be shown with captions). The process is still ongoing.

The DoJ published a notice in August 2010 indicating they planned on taking public comment on the subject. Their intent was to determine what would be they proper requirement to place on movie theaters (ie: 25%/33%/50% of all new, digital movies would have to be shown with captions). The process is still ongoing.

Over two years ago. Glaciers move faster.

Thank you everyone. I was really interested in finding others with my same problem. I will not complain or report this to the ADA. I just hope that one day, the captions will be as available as braile is. I never knew how hard this would be to live without my hearing.

Teris50 - the ADA is a statute - you can't "report" anything to it. You'd have to file suit. I believe the ADA may require movie theaters to have "closed captioning" for the hearing-impaired - but not "open captioning" because it could interfere with others' viewing enjoyment. Why not just call Princess and ask if they have one of those devices that allows you to read the dialogue as the movie progresses.

Now, Princess could make the argument that it would be an "undue burden" but I would ask them anyway.

Thank you everyone. I was really interested in finding others with my same problem. I will not complain or report this to the ADA. I just hope that one day, the captions will be as available as braile is. I never knew how hard this would be to live without my hearing.

Ya, bummer about the hearing. I am slowly losing mine too. But, it’s not really fair to make everyone watch the subtitles to accommodate just a few people. And it does kind of ruin some movies to have to watch that stuff on the screen.

Why don't you just get a smart phone or tablet and use one of the captioning apps? I know it’s not as convenient as the on screen subtitles and it sucks to have to go out and spend a little extra money on a smart device because of a disability, but this is going to be a more successful solution than trying to get others to accommodate you. It is very likely that you will spend a lot of time pushing for your subtitles and the final compromise will be that the cinema will have to provide you with some kind of device that does the same thing your smart phone already does today. And you are not going to want to touch their device because it is going to be all sticky from the last person.

http://abledbody.com/2010/03/26/iphone-app-delivers-movie-captions-on-the-go/

Archived