Hurricane Sandy

turquoise 6

This just now from the NY Times: 5:31 pm

Matt Flegenheimer

Storm's Approach Sends Cruise Ships Back to Sea

The Brooklyn and Manhattan Cruise Terminals planned to clear out their vessels as Hurricane Sandy churned toward the city. In Manhattan, the Norwegian Jewel, Aida Luna, and Carnival Miracle cruise ships were forced to leave, said Kyle Sklerov, a spokesman for the New York City Economic Development Corporation, which manages the terminals. In Brooklyn, the Queen Mary 2 was chased away.

Mr. Sklerov said he did not know where the ship planned to go next. A message left for the Queen Mary 2’s operator was not immediately returned.

The storm’s approach also prompted the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to close its maritime facilities beginning at midnight. The port terminals to be closed are: Port Newark Container Terminal, Port Elizabeth Marine Terminal, Port Jersey Marine Terminal, Howland Hook Marine Terminal on Staten Island, and the Brooklyn-Port Authority Marine Terminal.

Deep draft vessels have already departed the terminals. The agency said it was providing a safe berth for numerous barges, dredges, and floating cranes.

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter Facebook

1. Departed on schedule.

2. Southampton.

Yes, The QM2 is sailing to Southampton on schedule. The other cruise ships

have arrival and sailings on Monday in various ports on the eastern seaboard and they will stay at sea. The Carnival Miracle will also stay at sea, since she was scheduled to arrive and sail from NY on Monday.

NOAA weather Station from Block Island ,Rhode Island is forecasting increasing winds up to 75 mph,seas increasing from 8 feet,to 16 feet tonight

and tomorrow ,Monday am , 28 feet increasing to 40 feet. This is from southern Rhode Island to St. Georges Bank and south Of Marthas Vineyard.This is the route the QM2 is taking .

QM2 is currently sailing at 24 knots on a near due East (98º) course....which is quite a bit faster than they need for a 7 night crossing.

Explorer of the Seas, en route to Bermuda is making 14 knots, while Norwegian Jewel is making 22 knots to Port Canaveral. Carnival Miracle, 19 knots to PC and Aida Luna 18kts to Miami.

QM2 is currently sailing at 24 knots on a near due East (98º) course....which is quite a bit faster than they need for a 7 night crossing.

Explorer of the Seas, en route to Bermuda is making 14 knots, while Norwegian Jewel is making 22 knots to Port Canaveral. Carnival Miracle, 19 knots to PC and Aida Luna 18kts to Miami.

Then the Qm2 is speeding up. She might veer extreme north towards Labrador

So it seems all the cruise ships are trying to avoid the storm

Then the Qm2 is speeding up. She might veer extreme north towards Labrador

So it seems all the cruise ships are trying to avoid the storm

24 knots is well within QM2's capability - she's got at least another 4 knots in her - I suspect they have one of the two turbines going.

The other cruise ships are doing what they should do - heading to sea - much better than being tied up alongside and facing the damage of flying debris.

I disembarked Queen Mary 2 very early this morning after the New England / Canada cruise.

Yesterday, the captain (Kevin Oprey) announced that we would arrive earlier than planned in Brooklyn so that the ship could depart an hour earlier and proceed "full speed" ahead of the storm.

Looking at MarineTraffic.com, I see that Queen Mary departed later than hoped for and is making her way along the south shore of Long Island towards the Hamptons. More interestingly, Explorer of the Seas, Carnival Miracle and Norwegian Jewel are making their way south along the NJ coast directly into the storm.

Incidentally, this cruise exceeded my expectations. Although we had only one sea day and five port calls, the weather was the highlight - brilliantly sunny, cloudless days, every one of them.

At the risk of being torched at the stake, I noted many cut backs, including many in the Princess Grill where we dined. Nevertheless, it was great to be back and see so many familiar and welcoming faces in both the crew and passenger complements.

24 knots is well within QM2's capability - she's got at least another 4 knots in her - I suspect they have one of the two turbines going.

The other cruise ships are doing what they should do - heading to sea - much better than being tied up alongside and facing the damage of flying debris.

Yes you are right ! There is another low from Iceland that is connecting with

Sandy. That's why I suggested she may sail more north

I've sailed in May and June (rt transatlantic ) and Northern Europe with the present Captain. He knows !!!!

I have yet to sail on the QM2, and I don't envy the passengers going through these rough seas, :eek: but from what I have read about the QM2 if I had to be on any ship at this time it would be her.!! :) I think she will take it in her stride.

Safe journey to all, and I look forward to sailing on her in the future.

At the risk of being torched at the stake, I noted many cut backs, including many in the Princess Grill where we dined. Nevertheless, it was great to be back and see so many familiar and welcoming faces in both the crew and passenger complements.

Hi there

As I will be on QM2 in a couple of weeks, do you mind sharing what cut backs you have seen.

I agree that I have noticed cuts over the years.

Glad to read that you had a great time all the same.

I left the QM2 Sunday morning. The Captain made announcements on Saturday about the storm and plans for Sunday. Continuing passengers were advised to be on board no later than 3:30 for a prompt 4:30 sailing which he said was about an hour earlier than normal. Once at sea, full power in a northerly direction to stay out of the path of the storm. Looks like this morning, the plan was successful.

Once at sea, full power in a northerly direction to stay out of the path of the storm. Looks like this morning, the plan was successful.

QM2 sailed due East at 24knots - well short of her top speed. I guess they felt they only needed to run one of the two turbines.

There is no reason to be worried. QM2 is one of the safest, if not THE safest ship in the world. Last year, she managed perfectly well 2 earthquakes, the Tsunami and Fukushima, she discouraged Somalian pirates, crossed the Red Sea and the Canal of Suez with adjacent Arab countries revolting without the slightest problem - and I am still alive! :eek: :D :p

There is no reason to be worried. QM2 is one of the safest, if not THE safest ship in the world. Last year, she managed perfectly well 2 earthquakes, the Tsunami and Fukushima, she discouraged Somalian pirates, crossed the Red Sea and the Canal of Suez with adjacent Arab countries revolting without the slightest problem - and I am still alive! :eek: :D :p

I remember it well! :D

I disembarked Queen Mary 2 very early this morning after the New England / Canada cruise.

Yesterday, the captain (Kevin Oprey) announced that we would arrive earlier than planned in Brooklyn so that the ship could depart an hour earlier and proceed "full speed" ahead of the storm.

Looking at MarineTraffic.com, I see that Queen Mary departed later than hoped for and is making her way along the south shore of Long Island towards the Hamptons. More interestingly, Explorer of the Seas, Carnival Miracle and Norwegian Jewel are making their way south along the NJ coast directly into the storm.

Incidentally, this cruise exceeded my expectations. Although we had only one sea day and five port calls, the weather was the highlight - brilliantly sunny, cloudless days, every one of them.

Would love to hear what your cut back thoughts were in PG. Sailed the TA in PG just before your cruise and thought PG was nicer than QG last year (friendlier and same food). In fact everynight except for the first night each dinner was off menu and super.

Just posted on the Cunard facebook page:

We would like to reassure everybody that all is well with passengers and crew currently sailing on board Queen Mary 2. She has made good progress since leaving NYC yesterday afternoon and is now away from Hurricane Sandy, with the weather and sea conditions well within the capabilities of the ship. Our Captain is constantly updating passengers and there is no reason for friends or relatives of our passengers and crew to be concerned. We expect the ship to arrive in Southampton next Sunday as scheduled.

I hadn't really realised how much "north" was in the TA route - approx 36 degrees north of East.

If anybody here has never downloaded and used Google Earth (I know that a lot use Google Maps), I recommend it for all kinds of uses. Of course, Maps and Earth both have their own special uses.

Barry

Hi there

As I will be on QM2 in a couple of weeks, do you mind sharing what cut backs you have seen.

I agree that I have noticed cuts over the years.

Glad to read that you had a great time all the same.

Having complete my 10th voyage on QM2 last Sunday, the 28th, I can report that they have cut back on the flowers on the tables in Queens Grill - seems now the tables in both Queens and Princess have a bud vase with a stem of orchids only - two years ago on the same cruise, the flower arrangements on Queens Grill tables were more "elaborate" - a square clear glass vase that held maybe nine roses. These, however, needed to be "refreshed" by my travelling companion as they were getting a bit "tired". A bit of judicious pruning of other floral arrangements on board restored our table arrangement to its proper appearance.

Was in Princess Grill this cruise - last time in Princess was '09 - so I can not report on the cutbacks except to say that there was no "fishberry jam" on the menu at all and the dover sole had to be pre ordered - hopefully this is not the case in Queens Grill.

One night "Chateaubriand" was offered on the menu - was actually roasted tenderloin of beef - not the same thing - close but no cigar.

Guess Mr Shanks thinks he can slip a lot of this by but it is noticed!

And they only had two formal nights on board - who knows what is going to happen next - jeans allowed in the evening?

Was good to be back on board though and as a stockholder (love the stockholder benefit!) one side of the brain can understand the need to keep costs under control but the other side of the brain sails Cunard for the tradition

:)

Archived