Hurricane Sandy

turquoise 6

Now I've seen everything - complaining about being served tenderloin.

By the way:

http://frenchfood.about.com/od/maindishes/r/chateaubriand.htm

"Chateaubriand is a juicy-on-the-inside, seared and roasted beef tenderloin with wine sauce frequently ordered for a table of two at French restaurants."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chateaubriand_steak

"Chateaubriand steak, or just chateaubriand, is a recipe of a particular thick cut from the tenderloin, which, according to Larousse Gastronomique, was created by personal chef, Montmireil, for François-René de Chateaubriand, the author and diplomat who served Napoleon as an ambassador and Louis XVIII as Secretary of State for two years. When prepared properly, it can be among the most flavourful and tender cuts."

Maybe you mean the preparation was wrong?

Having complete my 10th voyage on QM2 last Sunday, the 28th, I can report that they have cut back on the flowers on the tables in Queens Grill - seems now the tables in both Queens and Princess have a bud vase with a stem of orchids only - two years ago on the same cruise, the flower arrangements on Queens Grill tables were more "elaborate" - a square clear glass vase that held maybe nine roses. These, however, needed to be "refreshed" by my travelling companion as they were getting a bit "tired". A bit of judicious pruning of other floral arrangements on board restored our table arrangement to its proper appearance.

Was in Princess Grill this cruise - last time in Princess was '09 - so I can not report on the cutbacks except to say that there was no "fishberry jam" on the menu at all and the dover sole had to be pre ordered - hopefully this is not the case in Queens Grill.

One night "Chateaubriand" was offered on the menu - was actually roasted tenderloin of beef - not the same thing - close but no cigar.

Guess Mr Shanks thinks he can slip a lot of this by but it is noticed!

And they only had two formal nights on board - who knows what is going to happen next - jeans allowed in the evening?

Was good to be back on board though and as a stockholder (love the stockholder benefit!) one side of the brain can understand the need to keep costs under control but the other side of the brain sails Cunard for the tradition

:)

In '09 the Princess Grill had the "fishberry jam"(thank you, Mame!)only one night. The caviar was available nightly & as Canapes for our 2010 Queens Grill trip. The flowers then consisted of a stem of orchids, as you noted. We find you frequently need to go off menu for items, such as Foi Gras or Sweetbreads, which used to be commonplace. I think political correctness has something to do with it. Just don't tell what to eat!(unless you're paying for my voyage!)

I disembarked Queen Mary 2 very early this morning after the New England / Canada cruise.

Yesterday, the captain (Kevin Oprey) announced that we would arrive earlier than planned in Brooklyn so that the ship could depart an hour earlier and proceed "full speed" ahead of the storm.

Looking at MarineTraffic.com, I see that Queen Mary departed later than hoped for and is making her way along the south shore of Long Island towards the Hamptons. More interestingly, Explorer of the Seas, Carnival Miracle and Norwegian Jewel are making their way south along the NJ coast directly into the storm.

Incidentally, this cruise exceeded my expectations. Although we had only one sea day and five port calls, the weather was the highlight - brilliantly sunny, cloudless days, every one of them.

At the risk of being torched at the stake, I noted many cut backs, including many in the Princess Grill where we dined. Nevertheless, it was great to be back and see so many familiar and welcoming faces in both the crew and passenger complements.

Hi Bobby. Thanks for your post. Yes, I think those of us who have sailed in recent years have noted cutbacks, and not just on Cunard. I'm happy that you had an enjoyable voyage. I hope that your friends and neighbors survived the storm (and also your beach home). Best wishes, -S.

Is this the only thread about Superstorm Sandy? Complaints about orchids and tenderloins, jeans in the evening? Regards and best wishes to those affected by the storm. from Salacia in NY

How many does there need to be? What possible benefit would come from having more than one? :confused:

Is this the only thread about Superstorm Sandy? Complaints about orchids and tenderloins, jeans in the evening? Regards and best wishes to those affected by the storm. from Salacia in NY

I wish the media would refrain from "Superstorm or Frankenstorm". It was a hurricane pure & simple. It had a "warm core". Noreasters have cold cores(such as the one coming up)This storm was unusual in it's track, but go back to the '44 hurricane if you want to see real damage along the board walk. If that storm occurred today with the population build up along the coast, the damage would be unbelievable. All the reason to prevent future coastal buildup.

I was aboard this crossing and she did fine..24 knots first night ..I have been on crossings with worse sea conditions than Sandy!! This was my first crossing with the extra sea day and for me its too slow..only 19-20knots after we outraced Sandy..thou Im sure most people like the extra day and with fuel costs its the new standard....About "cutbacks" well outside of the speed did not see any since my 2009 crossing, just new operations...The Kings Court is now one big buffet service as all stations serve the same breakfast and lunch menu..Chefs Galley has breakfast shakes and fruit..At night the 2 forward stations act as the alacart dinning and La Pizzaz is always the buffet..Chefs Galley is gone its a Pizza and pasta buffet..The Grills have a much larger alacart menu and dinner selections are totally different than the main dinning room..yes no caviar on the menu anymore...everyone alread knows about the room carpeting and other minor changes..The link to the blog crossing sums it all up ..and I do remember seeing this gentlemen aboard the ship.

One item I forgot to mention is the Winter Garden is now fully in use as it always should have been..No silly art auctions taking up all the space and it was used alot during the crossing by people reading and relaxing..just wished it had the same large coffee menu as Sir Samuel's

Correct

I believe all three Cunard ships replaced those ripoff art auctioneer scams ....."who'll start the bidding at 3000 dollars for this beautiful museum quality original Keane kid with big eyes on black velvet masterpiece???....... with a legitimate art dealer and gallery with posted prices

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Perhaps this article from The New York Times regarding Red Hook after "Hurricane" Sandy might be of interest to some: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/09/nyregion/in-red-hook-closure-of-fairway-leaves-nearby-shops-anxious.html?pagewanted=1&google_editors_picks=true&_r=0

Anyone know when the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal will reopen?

NYCruise says in response to my enquiry

"We continue to work to repair damage caused by Hurricane Sandy at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, and hope to have it open in time to accept the next regularly scheduled ship call on December 22nd."

QM2 is due in NYC on November 27th so it looks probable that we will dock in Manhattan. :)

Hi Bobby. Thanks for your post. Yes, I think those of us who have sailed in recent years have noted cutbacks, and not just on Cunard. I'm happy that you had an enjoyable voyage. I hope that your friends and neighbors survived the storm (and also your beach home). Best wishes, -S.

Thanks for the good wishes, Salacia.

My primary house weathered the storm, although we were without power for 7 days. It was eerie to see the NYC skyline so dark. Finally got out to the house in the Hamptons which was OK, although we lost most of a large tree, thankfully not into the house, decks or swimming pool.

Hope you and your loved ones made it through the storms OK too.

Be well,

Bobby

Bobby

NYCruise says in response to my enquiry

"We continue to work to repair damage caused by Hurricane Sandy at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, and hope to have it open in time to accept the next regularly scheduled ship call on December 22nd."

QM2 is due in NYC on November 27th so it looks probable that we will dock in Manhattan. :)

O I wish QM2 would return to the West side piers for good..The piers have been rebuilt and are fine with a great view of the ship..unlike the dark windowless waiting room at Brooklyn..And of course the great sailway down the Hudson..Soon NCL will dock one of their 150thousand tonners at pier 88 so QM2 can return if Cunard wanted to.

O I wish QM2 would return to the West side piers for good..The piers have been rebuilt and are fine with a great view of the ship..unlike the dark windowless waiting room at Brooklyn..And of course the great sailway down the Hudson..Soon NCL will dock one of their 150thousand tonners at pier 88 so QM2 can return if Cunard wanted to.

When were they rebuilt?

This has just been sent to me from NYCruise...

"We just made the call today. The QM2 on November 27th will now be docking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal."

Interesting, because here's a tweet they just sent today -@cunard everything is running fine out of NYC. Any changes and we'll let everyone know.

left hand meet right hand........

Interesting, because here's a tweet they just sent today -@cunard everything is running fine out of NYC. Any changes and we'll let everyone know.

left hand meet right hand........

It will be very enlightening to see just where we dock, it actually matters little to me but someone is offering misleading information. I know where I would place my bet!!:eek:

It will be very enlightening to see just where we dock, it actually matters little to me but someone is offering misleading information. I know where I would place my bet!!:eek:

I know. Based upon my past experiences, I think we're about to place the same bet!

It does matter to me because we're booked on the Dec 22nd cruise and I want to pre-arrange my transfers from Midtown. I'm sure not going to prepay $40.00 for a transfer from 6th & 53rd to the Manhattan cruise terminal.

I know. Based upon my past experiences, I think we're about to place the same bet!

It does matter to me because we're booked on the Dec 22nd cruise and I want to pre-arrange my transfers from Midtown. I'm sure not going to prepay $40.00 for a transfer from 6th & 53rd to the Manhattan cruise terminal.

No the smart money says that Red Hook will be open on December 22nd for QM2.:)

Archived