Hurricane Sandy cruises-what did Carnival give you?

familycruzer

i love how i made a suggestion to donate something to a force of "mother nature" (which is so offensive, i really don't enjoy this term) all those on their high horses praising carnival, attacking me, leaving ridiculous stories about winter vacations that had nothing to do with what i had a problem with. No one respond to my call to give something to those effected by the storm. Next time you want to go skiing or to some paradise because you have the money to do so, give it to someone who actually deserves it. I spent 2 weeks dealing with carnival and they wouldn't let us donate or give away our credit (yeah totally nice were dealing with philanthropists here) so I ended up booking the cheapest cruise with my brother. We both let our workplace know why we had to go on this cruise, and that I was not able to donate my money to any charity (find it funny carnival prides them selves on donating time and money to saint judes) We raised over five thousand dollars we wanted to donate to a relevant cause but carnival wouldnt even let us know how we could contribute this money to the same fund as they do to saint jude. I would love to give it to saint judes but we gave it to a fund started in Canada so send children of slain police officers to collage. I wasnt kidding when i said donate your cruise, no one stepped up. So enjoy and sleep well when you're throwing around your money on your vacations, skiing, snorkeling, and sailing. I made true on my comment.........i welcome your attacks and pathetic attempts to justify anything. Stand up for this company and show your true coloUrs.

i love how i made a suggestion to donate something to a force of "mother nature" (which is so offensive, i really don't enjoy this term) all those on their high horses praising carnival, attacking me, leaving ridiculous stories about winter vacations that had nothing to do with what i had a problem with. No one respond to my call to give something to those effected by the storm. Next time you want to go skiing or to some paradise because you have the money to do so, give it to someone who actually deserves it. I spent 2 weeks dealing with carnival and they wouldn't let us donate or give away our credit (yeah totally nice were dealing with philanthropists here) so I ended up booking the cheapest cruise with my brother. We both let our workplace know why we had to go on this cruise, and that I was not able to donate my money to any charity (find it funny carnival prides them selves on donating time and money to saint judes) We raised over five thousand dollars we wanted to donate to a relevant cause but carnival wouldnt even let us know how we could contribute this money to the same fund as they do to saint jude. I would love to give it to saint judes but we gave it to a fund started in Canada so send children of slain police officers to collage. I wasnt kidding when i said donate your cruise, no one stepped up. So enjoy and sleep well when you're throwing around your money on your vacations, skiing, snorkeling, and sailing. I made true on my comment.........i welcome your attacks and pathetic attempts to justify anything. Stand up for this company and show your true coloUrs.

If you want to give to charity ... fine. Do it. Everyone doesn't feel compelled to post about what they give ... or don't.

How do you know no one stepped up?

I also ask how do you know the person taking the cruise/vacation doesn't deserve it?

Did/do you deserve the cruise you originall booked?

And on the lighter side..... Carnival gave us an eight day cruise for the price of seven, a higher bar tab (our own fault, lol) many drinks purchased on extra day, a rockin extra good nights sleep, room service, good food, great photos of the blue ocean, nice talks with fellow passengers and crew, strength in our legs attempting to stay planted upright while walking about and most important an extra day of spending time with my wife. :D

And on the lighter side..... Carnival gave us an eight day cruise for the price of seven, a higher bar tab (our own fault, lol) many drinks purchased on extra day, a rockin extra good nights sleep, room service, good food, great photos of the blue ocean, nice talks with fellow passengers and crew, strength in our legs attempting to stay planted upright while walking about and most important an extra day of spending time with my wife. :D

Great post!

We were in a similar situation as yours on the Norwegian Gem, but luckily for us we got 4 extra free days and a port call in Boston.

Silliest thread ever LOL>> you can't "donate" a discount usually, it is specific. You don't HAVE to use the discount....I wonder what you and your brother's employers thing about your "forced" vacation?

I am by NO means a Carnival cheerleader but I think they did a good job of keeping people safe during Sandy. Royal is apparently not even offering anything and Disney really screwed up by sailing the dream into Port Canaveral

I do cruise during Hurricane season...take out insurance. I was on NCL Pearl Oct 21-27 and we were diverted from Grand Cayman and Ochos to Cozumel and Costa Maya...had great weather and it was a good safe decision

Take trip insurance, especially in hurricane season. Read your contract.

Be glad you are safe

How does one go about donating your cruise?

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does one go about donating your cruise?

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<sigh> you don't. She was trying to "donate" her NON transferrable discount to ?? She was not donating a cruise, just the discount and was unable..since it...NON transferrable.

What charity would want that or be able to use it (IF it was able to be donated, which it is not LOL)

Might as well go drop off some coupons in the Salvation Army Kettle and then pat yourself on the back for your "generosity" :eek:

• 2 months later...

My wife and I sailed on the Carnival Celebration for our 10th wedding anniversary out of New Orleans in November 2000. I know, it's a long time ago, but I post this because to this day, I think we were wronged without compensation from Carnival. We were to be on a 7-day cruise from New Orleans to Jamaica, then on to the Grand Caymans, and finally stopping in Mexico on the way home. We were informed as we boarded the ship that there was a hurricane in the "area", but not to worry, as the captain would sail the route backwards if necessary to avoid the bad weather. Well, we didn't go the opposite direction and it was so rough that people were getting sick all over the ship. I understand, it's a weather-related event, and the weather is not guaranteed, especially in November. There were only two days on the trip where it wasn't raining. But here's what really made me angry. The ship was being refurbished at sea, while we were on it that week, as it was being transferred to Galveston, TX and being dry-docked the following week. One morning we awoke to a letter being shoved under out stateroom door instructing us to be out of the room the following day between 8am-4pm so that they could rewire our room. We weren't feeling well from the rough seas, so it was a tremendous inconvenience. The pool was closed the entire week because the seas were so rough that they couldn't risk someone being tossed overboard. Understandable. But the one day that it was nice enough to be out on deck, they had multiple crews sanding and refinishing the bannisters on the stairways. It was not only noisy, but it smelled horribly. Our 8 hours in Jamaica was shortened to 4 hours so that we could make it to the Grand Caymans on time. When we finally got to the Grand Caymans, there were 2 extra ships that decided to drop anchor to get out of the weather, causing the already overworked tender boats to take a tremendous amout of time getting everyone to shore. And we never did make it to Mexico, as another ship that had docked the night before was thrown into the dock and damaged the hull. We headed back to New Orleans instead. The ice cream machine in the cafeteria leaked the entire week, and the pizza was sub-standard.

And what did Carnival offer as an apology for the remodeling/refurbishing, etc? A whopping 10% off our next cruise. I even tried to speak to the vice president of customer service at the corporate office and he pretty much told me that if I didn't like it, then don't come back.

My wife and I sailed on the Carnival Celebration for our 10th wedding anniversary out of New Orleans in November 2000. I know, it's a long time ago, but I post this because to this day, I think we were wronged without compensation from Carnival. We were to be on a 7-day cruise from New Orleans to Jamaica, then on to the Grand Caymans, and finally stopping in Mexico on the way home. We were informed as we boarded the ship that there was a hurricane in the "area", but not to worry, as the captain would sail the route backwards if necessary to avoid the bad weather. Well, we didn't go the opposite direction and it was so rough that people were getting sick all over the ship. I understand, it's a weather-related event, and the weather is not guaranteed, especially in November. There were only two days on the trip where it wasn't raining. But here's what really made me angry. The ship was being refurbished at sea, while we were on it that week, as it was being transferred to Galveston, TX and being dry-docked the following week. One morning we awoke to a letter being shoved under out stateroom door instructing us to be out of the room the following day between 8am-4pm so that they could rewire our room. We weren't feeling well from the rough seas, so it was a tremendous inconvenience. The pool was closed the entire week because the seas were so rough that they couldn't risk someone being tossed overboard. Understandable. But the one day that it was nice enough to be out on deck, they had multiple crews sanding and refinishing the bannisters on the stairways. It was not only noisy, but it smelled horribly. Our 8 hours in Jamaica was shortened to 4 hours so that we could make it to the Grand Caymans on time. When we finally got to the Grand Caymans, there were 2 extra ships that decided to drop anchor to get out of the weather, causing the already overworked tender boats to take a tremendous amout of time getting everyone to shore. And we never did make it to Mexico, as another ship that had docked the night before was thrown into the dock and damaged the hull. We headed back to New Orleans instead. The ice cream machine in the cafeteria leaked the entire week, and the pizza was sub-standard.

And what did Carnival offer as an apology for the remodeling/refurbishing, etc? A whopping 10% off our next cruise. I even tried to speak to the vice president of customer service at the corporate office and he pretty much told me that if I didn't like it, then don't come back.

Ships are always undergoing updates.

I once went to the Hilton at Virginia Beach. Stayed on the floor with the member's lounge, at a higher cost.

The second morning, I got a note under the door that they were doing fire alarm testing. It went on for *hours*.

Stuff happens. I'm sorry you were disappointed, but honestly, many of us would have been very happy to be on the ship, even if there were rough seas.

I would not have been happy if I was ill, to be told I had to be out of my room. I would have said, no, sorry, plan it for another day. Unless they would like to give me another room to lay down in, no way would I get out if I needed a bed.

As for the Hilton..most people are in a hotel to be in the area, not spending time in their room. I would have not been any happpier, if I had to be in my room and hear an alarm for hours. I would have complained. If they knew in advance they were going to be doing that, I should have been told so I could have gone elsewhere to stay or for the day.

Ships are always undergoing updates.

I once went to the Hilton at Virginia Beach. Stayed on the floor with the member's lounge, at a higher cost.

The second morning, I got a note under the door that they were doing fire alarm testing. It went on for *hours*.

Stuff happens. I'm sorry you were disappointed, but honestly, many of us would have been very happy to be on the ship, even if there were rough seas.

I would not have been happy if I was ill, to be told I had to be out of my room. I would have said, no, sorry, plan it for another day. Unless they would like to give me another room to lay down in, no way would I get out if I needed a bed.

As for the Hilton..most people are in a hotel to be in the area, not spending time in their room. I would have not been any happpier, if I had to be in my room and hear an alarm for hours. I would have complained. If they knew in advance they were going to be doing that, I should have been told so I could have gone elsewhere to stay or for the day.

If the room needed to be rewired because of possible short circuits, then it had to be done. However, since they didn't turn off the power, my guess would be that it wasn't an emergency.

I wonder if the OP told anyone it was a problem. My guess is, if it wasn't an emergency, if they had told guest services that they weren't feeling well, and told them they didn't want to leave the cabin for that reason, alternative arrangements would have been made.

• 1 year later...

Never came back to do a review because it wouldn't have reflected favorably on Carnival.

We took the Fantasy to Nassau and Freeport in late October 2012, day after we married. We were chased by Sandy all the way back. This was my fourth cruise (hubby's first, sadly) and it was the first time I've ever been seasick. The rocking was so bad, people were actually losing their balance.

We got refunded port taxes and excursions.

I don't think I was entitled to more, because the weather couldn't be controlled, but the response by Carnival was mediocre at best. There was just nothing to do onboard with the extra sea day. Pools were closed, decks were closed. While I appreciated the effort, I would have much rather come back early. They slowed the ship down considerably to give us that day, but it only made things worse.

When we missed Freeport, we called the front desk to ask what was happening. We were told we were stopping at Freeport, only to find out soon after we weren't. Seemed like a miscommunication there. Plus there was no real motion sickness medication onboard, save for those wristbands, which became a hair accessory, LOL.

Then they sped up drastically the last day, because Sandy was right on our tail. Restaurant dishes were shaking and almost fell off, we were going so fast. We weren't surprised we had to go to port early because someone had a medical emergency. We were stuck in the Charleston port overnight to await customs.

So even though the weather was bad, the ship's crew made some poor decisions in response.

We learned our lesson. Never go during hurricane season and pack the Dramamine! We are going to try again with RC in January and sticking to land for anniversary trips.

Edited by tanikwish

I was on the Miracle 8 day cruise. Was reimbursed port charges for 2 missed ports... and 50% off a future cruise to be used by October 2014, which I am taking advantage of next month:) I feel Carnival was very generous and it was still a good cruise. We sailed out of New York so we were brought back the day before Sandy hit. Now bieng stuck in New York for 3 days was another story.:eek: