Hurricane Sandy cruises-what did Carnival give you?

familycruzer

once upon a time i winter vacationed at an all-inclusive ski resort and got a really good price because it was 5 days with lift passes included and was part of a non-refundable package. Well' date=' i spent lots of money on some new ski equipment, bought some fancier ski duds and we flew into the nearest city, paid for transportation to the resort and chomped at the bit to get onto the mountain. Well, as luck would have it the winter winds started blowing and the ski lifts couldn't run, safely. Every morning we woke hoping for the best and every night we went to bed disappointed. After 5 days we packed up and headed home...never having used any of the new, fancy ski gear.

To be honest...i never ever thought of asking for compensation even though i had paid a bundle since the lift passes were part of the deal and helped defray the costs of very (for me) expensive rooms and amenities. Instead of skiing we swam in the indoor pool (i even had to buy a bathing suit) sat on the deck and drank some luscious hot drink concoctions, danced into the wee hours, went to a couple of movies (both which we had seen before), played cards and board games and met a lot of wonderful, enthusiastic people.

We got nothing from the resort in compensation...but you know, the rest of the trip was so much fun that we could of cared less and a few years later we went back and skied for days and days. How is this different than a cruise line vacation that has weather problems...don't know.[/quote']

well said!!!:):):)

nikki bee

i understand your frustration but trust me you are wasting your breath on this thread. According to everyone on this thread that didnt go through this experience we are spoiled brats who are not the cruise type (stupidest thing I have ever heard). Being stuck on a ship which is rocking and rolling and full of people throwing up is wearing on you. Yes we booked during hurricane season, we were aware that storms can happen.

Our itin was 6 days with a sea day at each end, wed & thursday were full days in Nassau and friday was a day in freeport.

It was changed to

Monday -Norfolk

Tuesday -Sea day

Wednesday - 7 hrs in Nassau (we arrived late bc we had to return to norfolk for a med emergency on monday night)

Thursday- Sea day

Friday- Sea Day

Saturday- Norfolk at 11 am

It was also raining and windy for us the entire time and a lot of activities were cancelled.

We were in the dining room so the announcement that we would return a day early was made sometime after 6. After that announcement we were going 20 knots to make it back.

San Juan is a great departure port as someone mentioned earlier if you are interested. We did the Carnival itin out of there last year and it was fantastic. I am sorry you didnt enjoy your time in San Juan but there is a lot to do there in walking distance from the port.

As far as you not getting anything as proof for your discount... did you not receive a letter in your stateroom about your discount? We got ours delivered to your room and at the bottom there is a link for you to follow once you book another cruise. I am sure you can call the guest care dept and get the info from them. I checked out the site and it looks like you just enter your booking info from this cruise and the booking info for your next cruise.

What you don't seem to understand is that there are many of us who had our trip cancelled who would have gladly traded places with you. We don't care which ports we visit, or if we visit no ports at all.

If I sound frustrated, it is because I am. You at least got to cruise; I didn't. I am jealous of you! You may not understand this, but, it is true.

What you don't seem to understand is that there are many of us who had our trip cancelled who would have gladly traded places with you. We don't care which ports we visit, or if we visit no ports at all.

If I sound frustrated, it is because I am. You at least got to cruise; I didn't. I am jealous of you! You may not understand this, but, it is true.

This was in response to Nikki Bees post which more or less asked questions about how our cruise itin was changed, which is why i quoted her post in my reply.

The post is not about you or you not getting to cruise. Yes you didnt get to cruise and you dont care what ports you visit. That has didly to do with me or my post.

While most of you are whining about what you did or didn't get from Carnival because you decided to book a cruise during hurricane season without travel insurance, at least 38 families in the United States and many more in the Caribbean are grieving the loss of loved ones.

I'd consider myself lucky that a shortened cruise and 25% off was the least of my worries.

</vent>

<hanging head>

Thank you. I've been moping around my house today, looking at all that needed to be done, feeling disappointed and upset that I am not being pampered on a cruise ship. I had decided I would let myself have my little pity party today, and get on with it tomorrow.

But, you are right. I *have* a home to look at. Many now do not. I have my husband; other people lost theirs. I have my kids; some mother out there lost her child to Sandy. I have my pets; the ASPCA just sent me a letter about displaced animals.

My pity party stops now, and I will be grateful for what I have.

Thank you, again.

This was in response to Nikki Bees post which more or less asked questions about how our cruise itin was changed, which is why i quoted her post in my reply.

The post is not about you or you not getting to cruise. Yes you didnt get to cruise and you dont care what ports you visit. That has didly to do with me or my post.

In general, when I wish to carry on a conversation with one person, I have found it helpful to do it though private messages. Within a large thread like this, others tend to reply.

SNJCruisers,

Thank you for the information you give to fellow cruisers. I am sure all those appreciate the help and advice. You don't judge them, zing them, argue to prove your opinion or try to embarass them. Admirable.

Thank you very much for the compliment, but you obviously have not read some of my postings. ;) I believe in "paying it forward" as I have received a lot of useful information on these boards and I try to help out newbies and even seasoned cruisers with helpful tips. I am laid back most of the time, but I can be "spirited" if pushed into a corner. Once again, thanks for the compliment and happy cruising.

Few years back my family and I was staying in a Hotel in downtown Memphis when a tornado hit. The window on our room was blown out and basically the room was destroyed. (Luckily we werent in the room when the storm hit). Went to management hoping they would give us another room. We were told they were booked up. Asked for a refund for the night. Were told nope....due to act of God. Called the company whose name is on the hotel and were told the same thing...out of luck. Finally go them to give us a couple of roll away beds so we could share a room with another party traveling with us.

So to those that got "something" from Carnival above and beyond what they "had" to give you....consider yourself lucky.

Edited by Indianaseadog

what drives me nuts is these people that booked during hurricane season, did not purchase insurance, obviously did not read any of the carnival paperwork, ran into a hurricane, were unable to make ports, had a rocking ship, got an apology from carnival, got a discount on a new cruise, got credits for ports missed or days shorted and yet they still complain and whine about wanting more! Then when people don't agree with them they complain more, say that people are yelling at them and that they are being called spoiled brats!

Come on! Read your paperwork. It has been stated over and over in this thread that carnival does not have to give any compensation, yet they have not only given compensation they are offering discounts on a future cruise. That is great! So what if someone got more than you did? So what if you paid more than you originally did with the discount? You got more than was required and you still aren't happy. What will it take to make you guys happy? You want carnival to refund your full fare and give you another free cruise? Lots of people have tried to put things into perspective for you guys reminding you about people who have lost their lives and all the people with a lot of damage to their property and person. Yet, you complain about it all.

Why would anyone expect carnival to give you more credit because you booked the very next cruise and paid more than your originally did? They have already given you a lot. I do understand about having kids and getting the grandparents to sit, but you know what? Stuff happens! Mother nature happens! You need to go with the flow and make the best of it. Who cares if you have taken (or should i say wasted) the time to compare your exact cruise with the other two and you deserve exactly what someone on the other cruise got? Be happy with what was offered and if you aren't then maybe cruising isn't for you. Or, next time don't book during hurricane season and not get insurance! And yes - not getting insurance and then complaining about a hurricane messing up your vacation is all about taking personal responsibility.

I missed this. She got to cruise AND she gets 50% off her next cruise??????

Now I am VERY sad. I'm grateful that Carnival extended us the 25% for the cancelled Pride cruise. I am not complaining about that.... but, it does seem unfair (in a universal "unfair" sense, not a *Carnival* unfair sense) that she gets 1/2 off and doesn't want to go. <sigh> Oh well, as we all know, life isn't fair.

<<<going now to make a sacrifice of chocolates on the altar of the cruise gods>>>

I also spent 7 days in a floating hotel...I think we both agree the grass is always greener:p

Are we to assume your disappointment negates ours? Just because you feel that way our feelings are just as valid as yours. We're not allowed to feel bad because we missed the places we were physically on our way to see? I think a cruise to me and a cruise to you are different things. To me cruises stop places you can get off and visit, no ports = a boat ride....and an expensive one at that (IM NOT BLAMING THE WEATHER...seriously don't start)

why waste your time with a company that delivered horrible customer service?

Most peeps have enough common sense to understand that a company offering subpar customer service does not deserve more of your hard earned money and maintaining good service isn't the customers responsibility. Fool me once...or well you get the drift.

Nikki....first of all, condolences regarding your grandfather who gave you the cruise as an engagement gift. You are entitled to your opinion regarding the customer service that you received from Carnival. You did get home safely and you did receive a 50% voucher that I know you'll never use and if it was transferable I would buy it from you.

It is difficult to put ourselves in another person's shoes at times. We were not on your cruise and we can only empathize with what you were going through, just like you can only empathize what it was like to be a crew member on your cruise. They work like dogs, are stuck working long hours and live in the bowels of the ship and then on top of everything else, have to put up with disgruntled passengers who may have ended up withdrawing their gratuities which results in money coming right out of their pockets and they're working for practically nothing under hurricane conditions. So, looking at it from their perspective, can you understand why they might have been a little on edge?

Edited by SNJCruisers

Nikki....first of all, condolences regarding your grandfather who gave you the cruise as an engagement gift. You are entitled to your opinion regarding the customer service that you received from Carnival. You did get home safely and you did receive a 50% voucher that I know you'll never use and if it was transferable I would buy it from you.

It is difficult to put ourselves in another person's shoes at times. We were not on your cruise and we can only empathize with what you were going through, just like you can only empathize what it was like to be a crew member on your cruise. They work like dogs, are stuck working long hours and live in the bowels of the ship and then on top of everything else, have to put up with disgruntled passengers who may have ended up withdrawing their gratuities which results in money coming right out of their pockets and they're working for practically nothing under hurricane conditions. So, looking at it from their perspective, can you understand why they might have been a little on edge?

I really felt for the employees on our cruise. The bartender at the martini bar explained to us their normal schedule and how little off time they really have. When a port day changes to a sea day they are required to work on a day that they originally had at least partial time off. Although they are able to sometimes get off when the ship is in port, a lot of the time they want to just catch up on sleep. Really made me realize how hard these people work. They also dont just work in one area. Youll notice staff in the dining room also working afterwards in the lounges, disco etc late into the night.

Don't be suprised when Carnival will only give back port charges and nothing else, which is on the contract everybody has to agree on before you book !!! I have been on a cruise during Tropical strom Nichol a few years back we missed 2 of 3 ports had a 7 day cruise to Cozumel!!!:rolleyes: We did get 20% off a future cruise, plus port charges, all of which I appreciated but knew they didn't have to do!!!:)

Edited by kansas kruiser

I really felt for the employees on our cruise. The bartender at the martini bar explained to us their normal schedule and how little off time they really have. When a port day changes to a sea day they are required to work on a day that they originally had at least partial time off. Although they are able to sometimes get off when the ship is in port, a lot of the time they want to just catch up on sleep. Really made me realize how hard these people work. They also dont just work in one area. Youll notice staff in the dining room also working afterwards in the lounges, disco etc late into the night.

I felt for them too, gave a customer service rep a pep talk. Told her to take a step back and keep saying 'this shift will end sometime'

We all work like dogs, each of us harder than the next. I worked my way up in retail to become a store manager, talk to someone in the service industry, that's grueling. Like I said before I'm engaged to a cop, he can't loose his cool at work, if he imagine what would happen. He works a 40 hour week in 4 days with a good attitude with some of the lowest people out there. Flight attendants don't get to be scared or agitated on a flight, think of what that would do. I'm in the process of trying to get my credit transferred so I can donate it. We should all chip in something and give someone something they can't afford. Anyone else put out by Sandy in?

Are we to assume your disappointment negates ours? Just because you feel that way our feelings are just as valid as yours. We're not allowed to feel bad because we missed the places we were physically on our way to see? I think a cruise to me and a cruise to you are different things. To me cruises stop places you can get off and visit, no ports = a boat ride....and an expensive one at that (IM NOT BLAMING THE WEATHER...seriously don't start)

I am responding to this portion of your post:

"I'm sure we all had an unpleasant experience because of this hurricane, I'm not sure what it was like on the other 2 ships but I just feel like we got the short end of the 3 ships at topic".

after which you went on to talk about missing your ports and having rough seas.

I'm trying to tell you that I tried to board the Pride on Sunday fully expecting that we would have rough seas, and maybe no ports and we would have been happy with that. So, for me, yours is not a compelling argument. From my perspective, not going at all is "the short end of the stick".

And therein lies the problem: for some people, going on a bumpy ride means that they have a terrible time. For some people missing the ports. For some people going and doing both of those things is fine, as long as they are on the boat.

Carnival can't possibly customize their response to everyone's expectations.

Do people even begin to realize that Carnival may have up to 50,000 passengers (or more) on their ships every single day...and of those 50k probably the majority of them have different perspectives of what they want or assume they want from their cruise experience. Any cruise line attempts to provide their passengers an experience that meets their expectations...but not all 50k are going to have their needs satisfied. A cruise is really only a hotel on the water that endeavors to take people to the places they want to go to....the ports and the shore experiences are not really the cruises' ultimate responsibility because they are an extra...what the cruise does is provide you with food to eat and a place to sleep. Nothing else is really a guarantee...just like an all inclusive resort can't guarantee it won't rain everyday, or that all their amenities will be open for use whenever a patron wants them.

Many people realize that ports and shore days are a nice bonus...but most also are savvy enough to know that if they want unlimited time on shore, or an experience at a certain place, or want to really see a natural feature the best thing is to book a land vacation and do cruising for what cruising really does offer.

There's a great book out called Cruise Confidential by David Alan Burns. He is the only American who lasted an entire contract working for Carnival as a waiter. It is a great read and a nice look into what goes on behind the scenes. He has since written 2 follow up volumes and they are on my read list for our upcoming Breeze cruise in January.

Thank you very much for the compliment, but you obviously have not read some of my postings. ;) I believe in "paying it forward" as I have received a lot of useful information on these boards and I try to help out newbies and even seasoned cruisers with helpful tips. I am laid back most of the time, but I can be "spirited" if pushed into a corner. Once again, thanks for the compliment and happy cruising.

LOL! I had to jump in here cause I'm on your roll call and I agree, you can be "spirited" at times!!

Pat

I'm sure we all had an unpleasant experience because of this hurricane, I'm not sure what it was like on the other 2 ships but I just feel like we got the short end of the 3 ships at topic.

Miracle was supposed to:

Leave NYC on at 5pm Sunday Oct 21,

2 days at sea Mon Oct 22 and Tues Oct 23,

San Juan Weds Oct 24,

St. Thomas Thurs Oct 25,

Fri Grand Turk Oct 26,

2 days at sea Sat Oct 27 and Sun Oct 28,

get back to NYC 9am on Mon Oct 29.

We did come back a day early and reached New York at 9am on Saturday and therefore could not spend the night in the port because 1. we didn't find out we were arriving a day early until 4pm Saturday night (less than a day before) and 2. because the ports were closing they pushed the Miracle cruise, departing the same day we were scheduled to come back (Monday October 29) up one day which subsequently added one day, which Carnival is paying for any parking and gratuities. So those passengers get a longer cruise, don't have to pay extra for anything and all they had done were port of call adjustments. They hurried us off the boat at 9am sharp and crew had already begun scrapping the salt residue off the balcony hand rails. So it was a giant slap in the face, it was like our cruise gave a whole day away to the other cruise.

It took us 2 days to get from New York City which much further north than Baltimore and Virginia, and we arrived in San Juan (which is much more south east than Grand Turk) on the third day at 3:00pm. There wasn't much to do, most of the excursions were in the late morning/early afternoon. We had 6 and a half hours in one place, perhaps that came into play. How long did the other 2 ships have to spend at sea before reaching their port, how much time did the others get to spend in their port of call and what time of day did they get there?

We also had (as far as I'm concerned) the stupidest captain ever. We found out that the tropical storm turned into a hurricane our first full day at sea. There was no talk to diverting our ship once during the cruise, they didn't even make an effort. Tuesday was our first indication that there was unsettled weather, the boat rolled and pitched most of the day but calmed down in the night as we moved east away from the storm. We were told at 930pm on Weds Oct 24 that we would have to turn around and go home, and we would be at sea for the next 5 days. The captain was going around the hurricane, way east to around Bermuda, he would then swing west in front of the hurricane to get us back to New York. Thurs Oct 25 was a bad day, high winds, over cast but we were going 25-30 knots, which made the ride bumpy but just a little worse than Tuesday. Thursday night all hell broke loose, the ship was pitched to the right most of the night and we had 20 foot waves and 10-15 foot swells. The wind was howling and it was impossible to open the door to my balcony. This is when we slowed to about 17-20 knots but there were points we were doing 25. Twice a day we would get an announcement from the captain about the weather, and our progress through it and how far we were from home. Not once did we ever get an answer as to when we would be getting to New York. By Friday we seemed to be out of the worst of it, but everyone had cabin fever and just wanted to get off the boat. We got an announcement at 9am Friday that we were 480 nautical miles from new york, we were going 17-20 knots and this is when I started to get really ticked. I did the math and given our speed and distance left to cover, as of Friday morning we should have been home in 27 hours, putting us in New York on Saturday morning. Even if we dropped to 15 knots we still would have made it by saturday night. But I just had this feeling from the second we found out it was going to take 5 days to get back home they were milking it. Trying to drag the time home out as much as they could so they wouldnt have to give us any actual refund. We spent 141 hours suck on a boat, thats about 6 days all together. 4 of those days were rain, wind, and crap. I was understanding until we couldn't seem to get answers to our questions. I told the cruise director my math equation and politely asked when we were getting home and if there was a factor preventing us from knowing, he then took out a picture of the hurricane and said "see this biiiiig hurricane? we have to go allllll the way around it" in the most condescending, patronizing voice, he spoke to me like I was a child asking him the same question for the 100th time. So thats about when I lost it, 2+2 doesnt equal 5 days at sea. We got a 50% off credit when, from what I've read others dont get anything for worse things happening, because their idiots! All we wanted were answers, all we got were twice daily announcements about how fast we were going, how far we were from getting there, our longitude and latitude, the depth of the ocean, the temp of the ocean (cus we were really going swimming in it or something) useless info which lead to anger, frustration, agitation and a bummer feeling all over the ship.

At the end of the day, I payed for 100% of a cruise and got 37% of it, because carnival doesnt seem to want to part with their money (i dont either and they have more of it than me...) I get to take another crummy cruise at half price. And we have no proof that we get 50% off, no discount code, didn't get an email, no phone call. So as far as I know until someone gets this discount in their hot little hands, dont put too much stock into it. Lets say of all 3 ships there were 3000 people who are pissed and wont sail carnival again. If they tell 2 people how much they hate it and dont recommend it, and they tell 2 people, and they tell 2 people, ect. Eventually some damage is going to be done. Dont sit around here wasting your time fighting with each other, talk to someone who can do something. We're the customer, and at the moment they may not think we're right, but in time they will see the hard way that we are.

Another thing our captain managed to talk to abc news live from the boat while sailing us through a hurricane. Yeah awesome priorities, you would think Carnival has a spoksperson for that.....

I am only responding to the above highlighted portion of your post. We were sailing on the Pride during Sandy and were also offered the 50% off offer. Just wanted to let you know that not only have I already filled out the form, but it has already been applied to a cruise I actually already had booked, so I personally put a whole lot of stock into Carnival following through on the offer:D

Very well said!!

Pat

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I am amazed about how some people feel they are entitled. I have been on ships in bad weather, albeit not a hurricane, but haven't gotten anything other than the return of port fees, nor did I expect anything.

I guess I just don't understand why someone feels they are entitled to the same thing as someone else even if the circumstances are different. I do understand getting a percentage for days missed.

To me, all this "beatching" is going to make cruise lines decide to NOT do anything more than what is required and that is to refund port fees.

Some people just seem to me are ingrates. If I were on a cruise and had this problem, you can bet your last dollar, I wouldn't post what I got. All it does it make some feel they are "entitled" to more. Keep it up folks!

Ok, start flaming!

katiel53: "If I were on a cruise and had this problem, you can bet your last dollar, I wouldn't post what I got. All it does it make some feel they are "entitled" to more."

True, Comparison is the thief of joy

Edited by hcruz007

Several years ago I was on An NCL ship and we went through a hurricane . Missed two ports and had an awful ride . We got nothing and frankly I did not expect anything . First off you booked during hurricane season, secondly this hurricane was already known to be large & you still got on the ship, third you made it home safely now stop whining .

Once upon a time I winter vacationed at an all-inclusive ski resort and got a really good price because it was 5 days with lift passes included and was part of a non-refundable package. Well' date=' I spent lots of money on some new ski equipment, bought some fancier ski duds and we flew into the nearest city, paid for transportation to the resort and chomped at the bit to get onto the mountain. Well, as LUCK would have it the winter winds started blowing and the ski lifts couldn't run, safely. Every morning we woke hoping for the best and every night we went to bed disappointed. After 5 days we packed up and headed home...never having used any of the new, fancy ski gear.

To be honest...I never ever thought of asking for compensation even though I had paid a bundle since the lift passes were part of the deal and helped defray the costs of very (for me) expensive rooms and amenities. Instead of skiing we swam in the indoor pool (I even had to buy a bathing suit) sat on the deck and drank some luscious hot drink concoctions, danced into the wee hours, went to a couple of movies (both which we had seen before), played cards and board games and met a lot of wonderful, enthusiastic people.

We got nothing from the resort in compensation...but you know, the rest of the trip was so much fun that we could of cared less and a few years later we went back and skied for days and days. How is this different than a cruise line vacation that has weather problems...don't know.[/quote']

Perfect example of how to handle a vacation when Mother Nature intervenes...

You are a true traveler!