Hurricane Sandy cruises-what did Carnival give you?

familycruzer

i didn't have trip insurance, and no i want something for SOMETHING i HAVE spent!!!!

Actually you got most of what you paid for and getting a discount on a future cruise. YOU elected not take insurance, which is downright idiotic in hurricane season... No, the cruise line is not at fault, in fact they are trying to help.

Maybe you should consider other types of vacation, but with weather, especially with ships, this does happen occasionally.

You should be thankful to be safe and alive. In comparison to what some people suffered, you should be ASHAMED to be counting pennies... Not always an easy thing to do, but there are other things in life than me, me, and me............

Brenna's Mom, please don't tell me you're "giggling" about the situation. It was a very disappointing weekend for 4,000+ people, some of whom have come here to vent and look for some suggestions and advice. To answer your question, apparently Carnival felt a 25% discount would be fair...so my question was whether I should come out of pocket more for the same cruise 1 week later even after that 25% discount. Your sarcastic opinion has been noted, I'd like to hear from others as well.

No - Carnival has gone above what they had to do (as stated repeatedly in various previous posts). You made the decision to change to the Pride and then when they did not leave, you made the decision to go on the very next cruise. Carnival did not say you had to use your 25% off on the very next cruise even if it was more expensive. You could have held off and planned another cruise at a different time that might have been cheaper. Would you then owe Carnival the extra money since it was cheaper than your first cruise?

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy what discount Carnival had given you. Honestly, I don't understand why you drove further north knowing about Sandy and expected to cruise?

If you decide to cash in your 50% voucher, pick a cruise out of San Juan that gives you 5 ports to visit and cruise during April or May, which are the safest months weather-wise.

[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

I missed this. She got to cruise AND she gets 50% off her next cruise??????

Now I am VERY sad. I'm grateful that Carnival extended us the 25% for the cancelled Pride cruise. I am not complaining about that.... but, it does seem unfair (in a universal "unfair" sense, not a *Carnival* unfair sense) that she gets 1/2 off and doesn't want to go. <sigh> Oh well, as we all know, life isn't fair.

<<<going now to make a sacrifice of chocolates on the altar of the cruise gods>>>

No - Carnival has gone above what they had to do (as stated repeatedly in various previous posts). You made the decision to change to the Pride and then when they did not leave, you made the decision to go on the very next cruise. Carnival did not say you had to use your 25% off on the very next cruise even if it was more expensive. You could have held off and planned another cruise at a different time that might have been cheaper. Would you then owe Carnival the extra money since it was cheaper than your first cruise?

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy what discount Carnival had given you. Honestly, I don't understand why you drove further north knowing about Sandy and expected to cruise?

Thank you so much for reminding me of my decision, it's a tremendous help at this time because I continue to forget exactly what happened over the course of this past weekend. Paying Carnival additional money would defeat the purpose of a 25% discount, would it not? I didn't offer to pay extra for my next booking as I left the ship Sunday if that's what you're asking.

My only question to experienced cruisers was whether I should request the same rate I was originally intending to pay considering the 25% discount does not cover that amount. I really don't need all of the extra sarcastic questions.

Of course all of this was our decision. We were beyond excited for it, and when the Glory canceled we stayed positive and looked for an alternative. We would have driven to Charleston SC but that ship was leaving Saturday so it was too late. We knew there was a chance the Pride would be canceled as well, but when you have a 5, 3, and 1 year old who are at home with their grandparents with their lunches packed and clothes picked out for the week, and all kinds of various plans made for them that you can't begin to understand we were going to do everything within our power to board a ship that weekend. I'm not asking anyone whether Carnival should reimburse our gas/hotel money, I mentioned it only to convey the time/expenses that we incurred over the course of the weekend--to help you all help me decide whether I should ask for anything more from Carnival. I understand your points and the points made by others, and I hear your resounding "NOs" that we should not ask for anything further. Thanks for your kind, gracious, and understanding responses.

Actually you got most of what you paid for and getting a discount on a future cruise. YOU elected not take insurance, which is downright idiotic in hurricane season... No, the cruise line is not at fault, in fact they are trying to help.

Maybe you should consider other types of vacation, but with weather, especially with ships, this does happen occasionally.

You should be thankful to be safe and alive. In comparison to what some people suffered, you should be ASHAMED to be counting pennies... Not always an easy thing to do, but there are other things in life than me, me, and me............

You sound like a billionaire or parent of many kids!!!! WHO like to have control over everyone!!!

you must have lot of money to throw away...plus i'm glad you were not my ship because i dislike people like you who doesn't respect anyone's feeling.

I thought this forum is to help eachother not to YELL at eachother..

AND you know most IDOTIC thing is - to post here in this forum which i find full of disrespectfull people which is USELESS!

Edited by rpatel

You and me both rpatel...but I guess this is what we get when we venture out into anonymous message boards looking for help. People communicate and behave much differently huh? I'm sure they wouldn't call you idiotic in person, people have a lot of nerve on message boards because there are no consequences to their rude behavior.

I'm sure we all had an unpleasant experience because of this hurricane, I'm not sure what it was like on the other 2 ships but I just feel like we got the short end of the 3 ships at topic.

Miracle was supposed to:

Leave NYC on at 5pm Sunday Oct 21,

2 days at sea Mon Oct 22 and Tues Oct 23,

San Juan Weds Oct 24,

St. Thomas Thurs Oct 25,

Fri Grand Turk Oct 26,

2 days at sea Sat Oct 27 and Sun Oct 28,

get back to NYC 9am on Mon Oct 29.

We did come back a day early and reached New York at 9am on Saturday and therefore could not spend the night in the port because 1. we didn't find out we were arriving a day early until 4pm Saturday night (less than a day before) and 2. because the ports were closing they pushed the Miracle cruise, departing the same day we were scheduled to come back (Monday October 29) up one day which subsequently added one day, which Carnival is paying for any parking and gratuities. So those passengers get a longer cruise, don't have to pay extra for anything and all they had done were port of call adjustments. They hurried us off the boat at 9am sharp and crew had already begun scrapping the salt residue off the balcony hand rails. So it was a giant slap in the face, it was like our cruise gave a whole day away to the other cruise.

It took us 2 days to get from New York City which much further north than Baltimore and Virginia, and we arrived in San Juan (which is much more south east than Grand Turk) on the third day at 3:00pm. There wasn't much to do, most of the excursions were in the late morning/early afternoon. We had 6 and a half hours in one place, perhaps that came into play. How long did the other 2 ships have to spend at sea before reaching their port, how much time did the others get to spend in their port of call and what time of day did they get there?

We also had (as far as I'm concerned) the stupidest captain ever. We found out that the tropical storm turned into a hurricane our first full day at sea. There was no talk to diverting our ship once during the cruise, they didn't even make an effort. Tuesday was our first indication that there was unsettled weather, the boat rolled and pitched most of the day but calmed down in the night as we moved east away from the storm. We were told at 930pm on Weds Oct 24 that we would have to turn around and go home, and we would be at sea for the next 5 days. The captain was going around the hurricane, way east to around Bermuda, he would then swing west in front of the hurricane to get us back to New York. Thurs Oct 25 was a bad day, high winds, over cast but we were going 25-30 knots, which made the ride bumpy but just a little worse than Tuesday. Thursday night all hell broke loose, the ship was pitched to the right most of the night and we had 20 foot waves and 10-15 foot swells. The wind was howling and it was impossible to open the door to my balcony. This is when we slowed to about 17-20 knots but there were points we were doing 25. Twice a day we would get an announcement from the captain about the weather, and our progress through it and how far we were from home. Not once did we ever get an answer as to when we would be getting to New York. By Friday we seemed to be out of the worst of it, but everyone had cabin fever and just wanted to get off the boat. We got an announcement at 9am Friday that we were 480 nautical miles from new york, we were going 17-20 knots and this is when I started to get really ticked. I did the math and given our speed and distance left to cover, as of Friday morning we should have been home in 27 hours, putting us in New York on Saturday morning. Even if we dropped to 15 knots we still would have made it by saturday night. But I just had this feeling from the second we found out it was going to take 5 days to get back home they were milking it. Trying to drag the time home out as much as they could so they wouldnt have to give us any actual refund. We spent 141 hours suck on a boat, thats about 6 days all together. 4 of those days were rain, wind, and crap. I was understanding until we couldn't seem to get answers to our questions. I told the cruise director my math equation and politely asked when we were getting home and if there was a factor preventing us from knowing, he then took out a picture of the hurricane and said "see this biiiiig hurricane? we have to go allllll the way around it" in the most condescending, patronizing voice, he spoke to me like I was a child asking him the same question for the 100th time. So thats about when I lost it, 2+2 doesnt equal 5 days at sea. We got a 50% off credit when, from what I've read others dont get anything for worse things happening, because their idiots! All we wanted were answers, all we got were twice daily announcements about how fast we were going, how far we were from getting there, our longitude and latitude, the depth of the ocean, the temp of the ocean (cus we were really going swimming in it or something) useless info which lead to anger, frustration, agitation and a bummer feeling all over the ship.

At the end of the day, I payed for 100% of a cruise and got 37% of it, because carnival doesnt seem to want to part with their money (i dont either and they have more of it than me...) I get to take another crummy cruise at half price. And we have no proof that we get 50% off, no discount code, didn't get an email, no phone call. So as far as I know until someone gets this discount in their hot little hands, dont put too much stock into it. Lets say of all 3 ships there were 3000 people who are pissed and wont sail carnival again. If they tell 2 people how much they hate it and dont recommend it, and they tell 2 people, and they tell 2 people, ect. Eventually some damage is going to be done. Dont sit around here wasting your time fighting with each other, talk to someone who can do something. We're the customer, and at the moment they may not think we're right, but in time they will see the hard way that we are.

Another thing our captain managed to talk to abc news live from the boat while sailing us through a hurricane. Yeah awesome priorities, you would think Carnival has a spoksperson for that.....

nikki bee

i understand your frustration but trust me you are wasting your breath on this thread. According to everyone on this thread that didnt go through this experience we are spoiled brats who are not the cruise type (stupidest thing I have ever heard). Being stuck on a ship which is rocking and rolling and full of people throwing up is wearing on you. Yes we booked during hurricane season, we were aware that storms can happen.

Our itin was 6 days with a sea day at each end, wed & thursday were full days in Nassau and friday was a day in freeport.

It was changed to

Monday -Norfolk

Tuesday -Sea day

Wednesday - 7 hrs in Nassau (we arrived late bc we had to return to norfolk for a med emergency on monday night)

Thursday- Sea day

Friday- Sea Day

Saturday- Norfolk at 11 am

It was also raining and windy for us the entire time and a lot of activities were cancelled.

We were in the dining room so the announcement that we would return a day early was made sometime after 6. After that announcement we were going 20 knots to make it back.

San Juan is a great departure port as someone mentioned earlier if you are interested. We did the Carnival itin out of there last year and it was fantastic. I am sorry you didnt enjoy your time in San Juan but there is a lot to do there in walking distance from the port.

As far as you not getting anything as proof for your discount... did you not receive a letter in your stateroom about your discount? We got ours delivered to your room and at the bottom there is a link for you to follow once you book another cruise. I am sure you can call the guest care dept and get the info from them. I checked out the site and it looks like you just enter your booking info from this cruise and the booking info for your next cruise.

Edited by agc291

SNJCruisers,

Thank you for the information you give to fellow cruisers. I am sure all those appreciate the help and advice. You don't judge them, zing them, argue to prove your opinion or try to embarass them. Admirable.

Edited by hcruz007

We were on the Miracle out of NYC. The cruise was reduced from 8 to 7 days and two ports (St. Thomas and Grand Turk) were cancelled. As compensation we received 50% off a future cruise (with restrictions and must be used by 10/2014). In addition, we received a refund of port fees for St. Thomas and Grand Turk, and a refund (coming within two weeks) of one day of the cruise fare. Our on board accounts were also credited for one day of tips. Carnival also provided free service on the in cabin phone on Saturday PM so that people could make alternate travel arrangements since we were arriving one day early.

We had no issue with the compensation offered - thought it was more than fair!! We also had NO PROBLEM with the decision to concel two ports and head back to NYC early. Made perfect sense to us as passenger safety has to be paramount!

Kudos to Carnival and their handling of the Miracle cruise.

I was on this same cruise Carnival Miracle and I must say the Captain and crew were fantastic. I felt they were more than fair and extremely helpful throughout this terrible ordeal. I am glad they made the right decision to head home early. KUDOS to the CAPTAIN AND CREW! Thanks for getting us home safely!

:):)

While most of you are whining about what you did or didn't get from Carnival because you decided to book a cruise during hurricane season without travel insurance, at least 38 families in the United States and many more in the Caribbean are grieving the loss of loved ones.

I'd consider myself lucky that a shortened cruise and 25% off was the least of my worries.

</vent>

nikki bee

i understand your frustration but trust me you are wasting your breath on this thread. According to everyone on this thread that didnt go through this experience we are spoiled brats who are not the cruise type (stupidest thing I have ever heard). Being stuck on a ship which is rocking and rolling and full of people throwing up is wearing on you. Yes we booked during hurricane season, we were aware that storms can happen.

Our itin was 6 days with a sea day at each end, wed & thursday were full days in Nassau and friday was a day in freeport.

It was changed to

Monday -Norfolk

Tuesday -Sea day

Wednesday - 7 hrs in Nassau (we arrived late bc we had to return to norfolk for a med emergency on monday night)

Thursday- Sea day

Friday- Sea Day

Saturday- Norfolk at 11 am

It was also raining and windy for us the entire time and a lot of activities were cancelled.

We were in the dining room so the announcement that we would return a day early was made sometime after 6. After that announcement we were going 20 knots to make it back.

San Juan is a great departure port as someone mentioned earlier if you are interested. We did the Carnival itin out of there last year and it was fantastic. I am sorry you didnt enjoy your time in San Juan but there is a lot to do there in walking distance from the port.

As far as you not getting anything as proof for your discount... did you not receive a letter in your stateroom about your discount? We got ours delivered to your room and at the bottom there is a link for you to follow once you book another cruise. I am sure you can call the guest care dept and get the info from them. I checked out the site and it looks like you just enter your booking info from this cruise and the booking info for your next cruise.

I was on this same cruise Carnival Miracle and I don't feel people think you are acting like spoiled brats but what I feel you are missing is that it could have been worse. just look at the devastation on the East coast and the lives lost! I think if you look at the grand scheme of things you may realize that the CAPTAIN was NOT AN IDIOT but smart to return or WE could be the ones stranded out at sea like NORWEGIAN GEM or like the lost life of the BOUNTY. Please be thankful that we all got home safely and be glad that Carnival gave us what they did because they did not have to! I wish you well on any future cruise you may take! Blessings!!!:):):)

I'm sure we all had an unpleasant experience because of this hurricane, I'm not sure what it was like on the other 2 ships but I just feel like we got the short end of the 3 ships at topic.

Miracle was supposed to:

Leave NYC on at 5pm Sunday Oct 21,

2 days at sea Mon Oct 22 and Tues Oct 23,

San Juan Weds Oct 24,

St. Thomas Thurs Oct 25,

Fri Grand Turk Oct 26,

2 days at sea Sat Oct 27 and Sun Oct 28,

get back to NYC 9am on Mon Oct 29.

We did come back a day early and reached New York at 9am on Saturday and therefore could not spend the night in the port because 1. we didn't find out we were arriving a day early until 4pm Saturday night (less than a day before) and 2. because the ports were closing they pushed the Miracle cruise, departing the same day we were scheduled to come back (Monday October 29) up one day which subsequently added one day, which Carnival is paying for any parking and gratuities. So those passengers get a longer cruise, don't have to pay extra for anything and all they had done were port of call adjustments. They hurried us off the boat at 9am sharp and crew had already begun scrapping the salt residue off the balcony hand rails. So it was a giant slap in the face, it was like our cruise gave a whole day away to the other cruise.

It took us 2 days to get from New York City which much further north than Baltimore and Virginia, and we arrived in San Juan (which is much more south east than Grand Turk) on the third day at 3:00pm. There wasn't much to do, most of the excursions were in the late morning/early afternoon. We had 6 and a half hours in one place, perhaps that came into play. How long did the other 2 ships have to spend at sea before reaching their port, how much time did the others get to spend in their port of call and what time of day did they get there?

We also had (as far as I'm concerned) the stupidest captain ever. We found out that the tropical storm turned into a hurricane our first full day at sea. There was no talk to diverting our ship once during the cruise, they didn't even make an effort. Tuesday was our first indication that there was unsettled weather, the boat rolled and pitched most of the day but calmed down in the night as we moved east away from the storm. We were told at 930pm on Weds Oct 24 that we would have to turn around and go home, and we would be at sea for the next 5 days. The captain was going around the hurricane, way east to around Bermuda, he would then swing west in front of the hurricane to get us back to New York. Thurs Oct 25 was a bad day, high winds, over cast but we were going 25-30 knots, which made the ride bumpy but just a little worse than Tuesday. Thursday night all hell broke loose, the ship was pitched to the right most of the night and we had 20 foot waves and 10-15 foot swells. The wind was howling and it was impossible to open the door to my balcony. This is when we slowed to about 17-20 knots but there were points we were doing 25. Twice a day we would get an announcement from the captain about the weather, and our progress through it and how far we were from home. Not once did we ever get an answer as to when we would be getting to New York. By Friday we seemed to be out of the worst of it, but everyone had cabin fever and just wanted to get off the boat. We got an announcement at 9am Friday that we were 480 nautical miles from new york, we were going 17-20 knots and this is when I started to get really ticked. I did the math and given our speed and distance left to cover, as of Friday morning we should have been home in 27 hours, putting us in New York on Saturday morning. Even if we dropped to 15 knots we still would have made it by saturday night. But I just had this feeling from the second we found out it was going to take 5 days to get back home they were milking it. Trying to drag the time home out as much as they could so they wouldnt have to give us any actual refund. We spent 141 hours suck on a boat, thats about 6 days all together. 4 of those days were rain, wind, and crap. I was understanding until we couldn't seem to get answers to our questions. I told the cruise director my math equation and politely asked when we were getting home and if there was a factor preventing us from knowing, he then took out a picture of the hurricane and said "see this biiiiig hurricane? we have to go allllll the way around it" in the most condescending, patronizing voice, he spoke to me like I was a child asking him the same question for the 100th time. So thats about when I lost it, 2+2 doesnt equal 5 days at sea. We got a 50% off credit when, from what I've read others dont get anything for worse things happening, because their idiots! All we wanted were answers, all we got were twice daily announcements about how fast we were going, how far we were from getting there, our longitude and latitude, the depth of the ocean, the temp of the ocean (cus we were really going swimming in it or something) useless info which lead to anger, frustration, agitation and a bummer feeling all over the ship.

At the end of the day, I payed for 100% of a cruise and got 37% of it, because carnival doesnt seem to want to part with their money (i dont either and they have more of it than me...) I get to take another crummy cruise at half price. And we have no proof that we get 50% off, no discount code, didn't get an email, no phone call. So as far as I know until someone gets this discount in their hot little hands, dont put too much stock into it. Lets say of all 3 ships there were 3000 people who are pissed and wont sail carnival again. If they tell 2 people how much they hate it and dont recommend it, and they tell 2 people, and they tell 2 people, ect. Eventually some damage is going to be done. Dont sit around here wasting your time fighting with each other, talk to someone who can do something. We're the customer, and at the moment they may not think we're right, but in time they will see the hard way that we are.

Another thing our captain managed to talk to abc news live from the boat while sailing us through a hurricane. Yeah awesome priorities, you would think Carnival has a spoksperson for that.....

I was on this same cruise Carnival Miracle and I don't feel people think you are acting like spoiled brats but what I feel you are missing is that it could have been worse. just look at the devastation on the East coast and the lives lost! I think if you look at the grand scheme of things you may realize that the CAPTAIN was NOT AN IDIOT but smart to return or WE could be the ones stranded out at sea like NORWEGIAN GEM or like the lost life of the BOUNTY. Please be thankful that we all got home safely and be glad that Carnival gave us what they did because they did not have to! I wish you well on any future cruise you may take! Blessings!!!:):):)

While most of you are whining about what you did or didn't get from Carnival because you decided to book a cruise during hurricane season without travel insurance, at least 38 families in the United States and many more in the Caribbean are grieving the loss of loved ones.

I'd consider myself lucky that a shortened cruise and 25% off was the least of my worries.

</vent>

Come on man, this self-righteous attitude from some of you is a little over the top. Horrible things are happening to good and bad people all across the globe every day. Are we blessed to be alive? Absolutely. But can we not also come onto a cruise forum to discuss/vent/seek advice, etc concering our cruises? Geez.

Come on man, this self-righteous attitude from some of you is a little over the top. Horrible things are happening to good and bad people all across the globe every day. Are we blessed to be alive? Absolutely. But can we not also come onto a cruise forum to discuss/vent/seek advice, etc concering our cruises? Geez.

I am not being self righteous whatsoever. Feel free to speak your mind/vent/discuss. I will do the same thing.

I just find it a bit disheartening that people want to b*tch about coming home a day early because of MOTHER NATURE. These same people are whining about not being reimbursed for hotels/food/travel, yet chose to decline the travelers insurance that Carnival stresses they buy.

Had Carnival of kept the same itineraries and came home the day they were suppose to, then these same people would be on here complaining that Carnival put their lives into jeopardy.

So, you lost a day at sea and missed a port or two..

Be thankful that you're safe, dry and have a house to go home to.

That's all.

What drives me nuts is these people that booked during hurricane season, did not purchase insurance, obviously did not read any of the Carnival paperwork, ran into a hurricane, were unable to make ports, had a rocking ship, got an apology from Carnival, got a discount on a new cruise, got credits for ports missed or days shorted and yet they still complain and whine about wanting more! Then when people don't agree with them they complain more, say that people are yelling at them and that they are being called spoiled brats!

Come on! Read your paperwork. It has been stated over and over in this thread that Carnival does not have to give any compensation, yet they have not only given compensation they are offering discounts on a future cruise. That is great! So what if someone got more than you did? So what if you paid more than you originally did with the discount? You got more than was required and you still aren't happy. What will it take to make you guys happy? You want Carnival to refund your full fare and give you another free cruise? Lots of people have tried to put things into perspective for you guys reminding you about people who have lost their lives and all the people with a lot of damage to their property and person. Yet, you complain about it all.

Why would anyone expect Carnival to give you more credit because you booked the very next cruise and paid more than your originally did? They have already given you a lot. I do understand about having kids and getting the grandparents to sit, but you know what? Stuff Happens! Mother Nature Happens! You need to go with the flow and make the best of it. Who cares if you have taken (or should I say wasted) the time to compare your exact cruise with the other two and you deserve exactly what someone on the other cruise got? Be happy with what was offered and if you aren't then maybe cruising isn't for you. Or, next time don't book during hurricane season and not get insurance! And yes - not getting insurance and then complaining about a hurricane messing up your vacation is all about taking personal responsibility.

Considering the loss of life and property associated with "Sandy" I think that anyone who has come out of it unscathed' date=' except for the disruption of their vacation, should feel themselves pretty lucky at this point. A previous poster seems to be all knowledgeable about the facts of "their" cruise and know that Carnival was out to milk every last cent out of all the "captured" passengers. Kudos to them for their insight. And while they are blasting Carnival this disgruntled passenger should also make sure that "mother nature" gets her fair share of the blame....oh but then Carnival is much more powerful and insightful than mother nature.

I have my own thoughts about dilettantes...and I have my own thoughts about the stupidity of people who don't get that 85 mile winds and 35 foot swells are not the norm and that these type of conditions are disruptive at the least. Life isn't fair...I've scheduled land vacations to sunny climates where it has rained for the entire trip, been on ski trips where the wind was so bad we never-ever were able to get out onto the mountain, been at the lake when conditions prevented us from ever getting our boat into the water and doing some water skiing.

The people who "think" that other peeps are in agreement with them and that a cruise line should be boycotted because of a weather incident are in for a rude awakening, I suspect. Most peeps have enough common sense to understand that the forces of nature aren't the responsibility of an airline, a cruise line, a resort, or well you get the drift.[/quote']

I really didn't come here to get into it with strangers, but everyone holds strong to their convictions, and I'll do the same. I simply saw dissatisfied customers, felt for them and shared my experience I had on the cruise.

It seems to be tastelessly implied that I am ungrateful for getting out of that storm safe and unharmed. It's a little sick to assume I take my own well-being for granted.

I believe 100% weather is something that happens and is one of the few things we can't control. It comes just as fast as it goes, acts as powerful as it does gentile and can be as beautiful as it can be ugly. Blaming anything on nature is like blaming a fish for needing water. Many cruises were effected by the hurricane but we know why. Getting mad at something we have the answers to is a waste of time, however I hope this is becoming clear to see. The lack of important information is what caused most of my frustrations and the inability to get an explanation is what lead to my anger. If there was no way of getting home early tell me that, explain to me what's going on and help me understand our situation. We were not asking for the combination to the casino vault, we simply wanted to know when we should expect to reach home. Is general idea of the day the captain is anticipating based on current weather? Are their variables that can effect his choice of rout? Considering the majority of the people on the ship were from New York I hope it's clear why they were so eager for answers. Imagine being left to wonder if you're going to arrive home in time to collect essential supplies and prepare for a state of emergency. Perhaps some readers expect those facing the need to prepare for an emergency at home to wait for the almighty Mother Nature to share her insight and intentions since we weren't getting it from Carnival.

The people who think that other peeps are in agreement with them and that a cruise line should be boycotted because of a weather ARE indeed in for a rude awakening. Most people have enough common sense not to waste their time eating at a restaurant that delivered horrible food, why waste your time with a company that delivered horrible customer service?

Most peeps have enough common sense to understand that a company offering subpar customer service does not deserve more of your hard earned money and maintaining good service isn't the customers responsibility. Fool me once...or well you get the drift.

I am not being self righteous whatsoever. Feel free to speak your mind/vent/discuss. I will do the same thing.

I just find it a bit disheartening that people want to b*tch about coming home a day early because of MOTHER NATURE. These same people are whining about not being reimbursed for hotels/food/travel, yet chose to decline the travelers insurance that Carnival stresses they buy.

Had Carnival of kept the same itineraries and came home the day they were suppose to, then these same people would be on here complaining that Carnival put their lives into jeopardy.

So, you lost a day at sea and missed a port or two..

Be thankful that you're safe, dry and have a house to go home to.

That's all.

Cool, I don't think anyone is saying they're ungrateful for their safety and dry homes...none of your other comments above apply to me as I never left a port and didn't complain about my food/gas/lodging.

If you were so upset that it took you two days to cruise from NYC to your first port of call, then why did you not book a cruise out of San Juan, where you visit as many as 5 ports with only 1 sea day over the course of a week?

You had a terrible time because of weather....something that is not Carnival's fault and you feel slighted because they are only giving you a 50% discount? You rolled the dice picking the cruise that you did because of the time of year and the fact that it took two days to get to your first port.

I was trying to rationalize why the Miracle was entitled to a 50% credit, not complaining about it.

I did not book this cruise, it was a surprise engagement gift from my late Grandfather who passed away this May.

I don't have the luxury of picking up and going on a vacation any time soon, my fiance is a police officer and his vacation time is scheduled a year in advance.

We are getting married in June and would really much like to try and start a family after that. So we're stuck planning around Carnivals deadline or loosing the credit. I've never been outside of Canada, never seen a real palm tree and never seen how beautiful different parts of the world are. I don't feel slighted because of the weather!!! I don't want to go on another Carnival cruise. You seriously don't understand how bad it was, you could hear people shouting and cursing from the lobby, the crowed was 2 seconds away from starting a riot. People were chanting and hooting and hollering, the mood was seriously dampened for the rest of the time. We had daily bean bag tossing contests to try and lift our spirits. The staff didn't even adjust the dining schedule for the days we were supposed to be in a port. There was little to no effort put in by the crew, the steward staff stopped making eye contact with guests, dinner service slowed to a crawl. The hurricane didn't do any of that. It was an attitude choice most of the crew made. When they first announced we were going home, we chose to try and make the best of it, went up to Lido deck, danced ate and drank for the night. But that buzz in the air and the spark of energy quickly faded from the crew. Don't get me wrong I had my favorites, went to the same lounge area to see the bartender, crossed our fingers and hoped we got the nicest server in the dining room. But even the service staff in the dining room would bicker with each other.

I've said it once and I'll say it until someone gets it.....CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Edited by nikki.bee.

I really didn't come here to get into it with strangers, but everyone holds strong to their convictions, and I'll do the same. I simply saw dissatisfied customers, felt for them and shared my experience I had on the cruise.

It seems to be tastelessly implied that I am ungrateful for getting out of that storm safe and unharmed. It's a little sick to assume I take my own well-being for granted.

I believe 100% weather is something that happens and is one of the few things we can't control. It comes just as fast as it goes, acts as powerful as it does gentile and can be as beautiful as it can be ugly. Blaming anything on nature is like blaming a fish for needing water. Many cruises were effected by the hurricane but we know why. Getting mad at something we have the answers to is a waste of time, however I hope this is becoming clear to see. The lack of important information is what caused most of my frustrations and the inability to get an explanation is what lead to my anger. If there was no way of getting home early tell me that, explain to me what's going on and help me understand our situation. We were not asking for the combination to the casino vault, we simply wanted to know when we should expect to reach home. Is general idea of the day the captain is anticipating based on current weather? Are their variables that can effect his choice of rout? Considering the majority of the people on the ship were from New York I hope it's clear why they were so eager for answers. Imagine being left to wonder if you're going to arrive home in time to collect essential supplies and prepare for a state of emergency. Perhaps some readers expect those facing the need to prepare for an emergency at home to wait for the almighty Mother Nature to share her insight and intentions since we weren't getting it from Carnival.

The people who think that other peeps are in agreement with them and that a cruise line should be boycotted because of a weather ARE indeed in for a rude awakening. Most people have enough common sense not to waste their time eating at a restaurant that delivered horrible food, why waste your time with a company that delivered horrible customer service?

Most peeps have enough common sense to understand that a company offering subpar customer service does not deserve more of your hard earned money and maintaining good service isn't the customers responsibility. Fool me once...or well you get the drift.

I think we all can agree here that we were disappointed. I also feel that we should be able to agree that the Captain and crew of these ships did their very best to get everyone home safely for which I am truly grateful for. In regards to the customer service aspect...I m sure the did what they could with the information they had a t the time. I don't think anyone(Carnival...Captain..Crew) would intentionally keep the passengers in the dark. They are the experts and I think we should cut them some slack and realize they did their job to the best of their ability with the knowledge they had throughout. Blessings to all and let us all be happy we are safe. If you received 20% off or 50% just be satisfied that you are home safe and sound!:):):)

What drives me nuts is these people that booked during hurricane season, did not purchase insurance, obviously did not read any of the Carnival paperwork, ran into a hurricane, were unable to make ports, had a rocking ship, got an apology from Carnival, got a discount on a new cruise, got credits for ports missed or days shorted and yet they still complain and whine about wanting more! Then when people don't agree with them they complain more, say that people are yelling at them and that they are being called spoiled brats!

Come on! Read your paperwork. It has been stated over and over in this thread that Carnival does not have to give any compensation, yet they have not only given compensation they are offering discounts on a future cruise. That is great! So what if someone got more than you did? So what if you paid more than you originally did with the discount? You got more than was required and you still aren't happy. What will it take to make you guys happy? You want Carnival to refund your full fare and give you another free cruise? Lots of people have tried to put things into perspective for you guys reminding you about people who have lost their lives and all the people with a lot of damage to their property and person. Yet, you complain about it all.

Why would anyone expect Carnival to give you more credit because you booked the very next cruise and paid more than your originally did? They have already given you a lot. I do understand about having kids and getting the grandparents to sit, but you know what? Stuff Happens! Mother Nature Happens! You need to go with the flow and make the best of it. Who cares if you have taken (or should I say wasted) the time to compare your exact cruise with the other two and you deserve exactly what someone on the other cruise got? Be happy with what was offered and if you aren't then maybe cruising isn't for you. Or, next time don't book during hurricane season and not get insurance! And yes - not getting insurance and then complaining about a hurricane messing up your vacation is all about taking personal responsibility.

I guess some of this was directed at me...for me it was more about the rude way in which some of you replied. I wasn't looking for people to agree with me, I was asking the opinion of people with cruise experience. I think if you were to read my original post you would see this.

Once upon a time I winter vacationed at an all-inclusive ski resort and got a really good price because it was 5 days with lift passes included and was part of a non-refundable package. Well, I spent lots of money on some new ski equipment, bought some fancier ski duds and we flew into the nearest city, paid for transportation to the resort and chomped at the bit to get onto the mountain. Well, as LUCK would have it the winter winds started blowing and the ski lifts couldn't run, safely. Every morning we woke hoping for the best and every night we went to bed disappointed. After 5 days we packed up and headed home...never having used any of the new, fancy ski gear.

To be honest...I never ever thought of asking for compensation even though I had paid a bundle since the lift passes were part of the deal and helped defray the costs of very (for me) expensive rooms and amenities. Instead of skiing we swam in the indoor pool (I even had to buy a bathing suit) sat on the deck and drank some luscious hot drink concoctions, danced into the wee hours, went to a couple of movies (both which we had seen before), played cards and board games and met a lot of wonderful, enthusiastic people.

We got nothing from the resort in compensation...but you know, the rest of the trip was so much fun that we could of cared less and a few years later we went back and skied for days and days. How is this different than a cruise line vacation that has weather problems...don't know.

i didn't have trip insurance, and no i want something for SOMETHING i HAVE spent!!!!

I agree, it was very disappointing. Carnival offered PRIDE passangers refund plus 25% off why not Glory passangers?

cancellation did not come out till late evening on 10/27, by the time out of state people must have travelled to departing port. We paid for travel, stay and food as well. Why Glory passangers are treated as second class citizens?

You got the rotten end of the stick....put your big girl panties on and friggin deal with it. If you did not have the foresight to purchase travel insurance when you're cruising during hurricane season, then the only person you can blame about this is the face in the mirror that you see each morning in your bathroom.

Carnival doesn't have to offer you squat as compensation if you read the fine print in your documents. You got different compensation than other ship's passengers got, but at least you got something.