World Cruise 2015

Keith1010

Becky did you notice this little beauty at the bottom of the pricing page?

in the fine print:

Cruise-Only Fares are per person in U.S. dollars, double occupancy and do not include cruise port, security and handling charges of $2,275

Plus the Visa fees.

That is a significant little fee. Not a deal breaker but still lots to consider.

Any idea on what the Visas will cost?

Are there any other little fees or other costs to consider?

thanks,

Ilene

I did see the port fees listed in the tiny print. When I checked the cost of the visas for those 3 countries, they totaled $310.00 ($185 of that being Brazil's visa). Added to that would be whatever Pinnacle wants to charge for their processing fees. I won't venture to guess. But I was encouraged that there appears to be no visas required for Africa, northern South America & the French island colonies.

Tonight I've been investigating costs of shore excursions. Teasing myself, if you will, & not even knowing for sure if I can even do this!

The major visa required for this trip is Brazil. It is now good for 10 years from issuance. Pinnacle currently charged us $287.00 per person. We prefer to use Pinnacle but for those who want to save some money you can do it on your own. Australia is done on line and runs around $20.00 and some TA's can do this for you for free. Other than that there may be a few visas that Crystal will obtain on the ship and they typically range from around $10.00 to $30.00 per visa. Port charges are always listed separately.

Keith

How much is the onboard booking discount? I'll be sailing in November and could sign up for the 2015 WC then if I save even more $$$. :D

I just want to note that the on board booking consultant is most definitely the same amount which is listed for the Crystal Society Discount.

Keith

Anyone considering this booking might be interested in the correspondence I had with my TA yesterday. I asked him for a quote and he responded:

"Hi Shirley: Good thing you e-mailed me early. I already called on this World Cruise today. Already they are sold out of all Penthouses, and categories C1 and C2, but are accepting reservations for C3. The next open category is B3.

If you are serious to want to go, I would book C3 and waitlist for a C2 and C1, as one of these are possible to clear."

I went ahead with the deposit and have a booking number. In his confirmation my TA said: "I now have four staterooms booked for the full World Cruise 2015. Unbelievable !! This ship is more than one half full on the first day of booking. More bookings than on the 2014 World Cruise so far."

Shirley

Shirley, I am not surprised.

I have been advising people to get their wait lists in early because it was clear to me that this is a very popular cruise.

The itinerary is fabulous and many people put in wait lists as soon as it was announced.

We literally went down and booked the cruise about one hour after they announced the itinerary.

The 2013 World Cruise is essentially sold out and I think this one even though it is longer will sell just as well.

Thanks for passing along what you have learned.

Keith

When they say a world cruise such as 2013 is "full" how full is that? Do they fill the entire ship?

Are there a limited number or full world cruisers?

Which seating for dinner is usually more crowded on world cruise?

Now a couple of penthouse questions:

if you have a butler is he or she also you steward(ess) ? what is the difference in their role.

Does anyone ever really let the butler unpack you? Is there an advantage to that service?

Has anyone ever had a third person bunk in their penthouse? Sounds um cozy but is it do able?

When they say a world cruise such as 2013 is "full" how full is that? Do they fill the entire ship?

Are there a limited number or full world cruisers?

Which seating for dinner is usually more crowded on world cruise?

Now a couple of penthouse questions:

if you have a butler is he or she also you steward(ess) ? what is the difference in their role.

Does anyone ever really let the butler unpack you? Is there an advantage to that service?

Has anyone ever had a third person bunk in their penthouse? Sounds um cozy but is it do able?

Ilene, there are many solo guests who sail the World Cruise so even if all rooms are full it feels even less full than normal. On the Serenity maybe full is for the World Cruise is around 800 guests.

The main seating tends to be the fullest.

There is not a real limit on how many take the full World Cruise but I would say there is normally an average range in how many might book the full world cruise.

With the 2013 World Cruse being 30+ days less than a typical World Cruise more people booked it this time around.

You will also find several people who book two or more legs of the World Cruise.

As to the Penthouse Rooms.

The Butler does a few items that a stewardess does and more.

Let's start with the stewardess. There is a stewardess who is assisted by a stewardess in training or some call her an assistant stewardess. Their focus is on cleaning.

Functions that theButler takes care of that a stewardess in the regular rooms would do includes stocking the refrigerator, taking care of the fruit basket, taking wine down for the restaurants and bringing food to the room and taking laundry for you.

In terms of food the table set up will be done in a more formal and elaborate way and they will serve say dinners course to course if you like and also if you have others to your room take care of coordinating that.

Butler also does several other items from brining afternoon canapes to making specialty restaurant reservations, booking shore excursions, even unpacking and packing for those who need the assistance and more.

We have never used the butler to unpack. We wouldn't want someone else touching our items and it is more efficient for us to place them where we want. However, there are some who do use the butler for unpacking and packing. In some cases they just like someone else to do this for them and in other cases they are physically challenged so just need the extra help.

We've never had a third person in the room. It would be cozy but then again that would be the case in a three person standard stateroom too. We've known some with younger children who had a a third person.

Keith

Just read through all the posts on this thread, and after my initial request for clarification on the new bookings 'status' I am coming to the conclusion that there are several 'issues' surrounding World Cruises that really concern me..

There have been discussions on here before about the onboard experiences of WC'ers vs individual segment(s) cruisers, and I admit I am one of those with concerns in that area, but I had no idea that special consideration was also given to previous WC'ers over those new to the WC when it came to the booking process. Whilst it appears to be acceptable to some posters that full WC newbies should not be able to book aginst current stateroom/suite availability, I find it incomprehensible that Crystal would expect anyone committing to such significant cash outlay in booking a WC to pay the full 20% deposit amount, and then sit back and wait for members of their 'exclusive WC Club' to make their accommodation choices first, leaving everyone else to get second pickings...

I love the sea, love being at sea, have found Crystal to be the best fit for me for various reasons, and having followed each of their world cruise voyages since I first cruised with them in 2006 have had a 'retirement' Crystal world cruise on my radar. When I first saw the 2014 itinerary I seriously considered that as 'the one', especially as it ended in the UK, but after much deliberation I decided the Japan/China section was too early in the year for me so I thought I'd test the WC onboard experience waters by booking a preferred segment (or possibly two). When the 2015 itinerary was announced I thought, this is it, after 35+ years of warm weather living I know I'm definitely a fair weather person (cruising, golfing, outdor living, etc.) and a southern hemisphere summer cruise in the northern hemisphere winter would be perfect, especially as it visits so many places in one itinerary that I have not had the opportunity to visit previously or would be unlikely to travel to individually....

I've crunched the numbers, and concluded that this special commemorative voyage is the perfect fit to commemorate this once in a lifetime milestone for me. As a previous poster to this thread also noted - this amount of money could be used for more tangible retirement 'things', but lifetime experiences don't come along every day, so I've just about convinced myself I should take this opportunity whilst it's there, and I can....I would have made a booking now but I find it totally unacceptable that I should commit myself, and a significant amount of money, to this voyage but find that isn't good enough to secure an assigned stateroom until those preferred over me have an opportunity to book first....I am truly shocked by this policy, truly disappointed that this special lifetime experience may not now happen for me as getting my preferred accommodation and preferred location is paramount to me, especially on a voyage of this duration. Guarantee in stateroom category for a single WC segment voyage I can understand, but guarantee for the full voyage whilst others get the opportunity to book and choose my preferred accommodation ahead of me I do not understand.....If this voyage is available for booking, it should be available for booking to ALL and on the same terms....

Anne

I would have made a booking now but I find it totally unacceptable that I should commit myself, and a significant amount of money, to this voyage but find that isn't good enough to secure an assigned stateroom until those preferred over me have an opportunity to book first....I am truly shocked by this policy, truly disappointed that this special lifetime experience may not now happen for me as getting my preferred accommodation and preferred location is paramount to me, especially on a voyage of this duration. Guarantee in stateroom category for a single WC segment voyage I can understand, but guarantee for the full voyage whilst others get the opportunity to book and choose my preferred accommodation ahead of me I do not understand.....If this voyage is available for booking, it should be available for booking to ALL and on the same terms....

Anne

Anne - I am in total agreement with you here and am disappointed in Crystal. I am a previous World Cruiser with over 20 segments sailed. Yesterday I called reservations and was told that almost all of the C cabins are already 'spoken' for. My take on this is that Crystal is showing unusual preference to their 'regulars'. My only option was to pay them over $10,000 for what amounts to a waitlist and hope that a cabin acceptable to me might open up by December; all this for a World Cruise that is over two years off! Like you, I find this itinerary to be perfect for me and Crystal has always been my line of choice for longer journeys. However, I am now questioning if Crystal is still the right choice for me. In the past, I have always felt like they valued my business and treated me equally to other guests. At this point, I'm going to sit this one out and see what happens when the $1,000 deposit options expire around the end of this month. Needless to say, I am not a happy Crystal Cruiser at the moment...

Andrew

I agree with the last 2 posters. I am confused, though, about the waitlist deposit being "good" till the end of the month - we had to cough up a full 20% on October 10 or forget it. What bothers me is that we have nearly 30 cruises (not that many by comparison, but not newbies) on Crystal and are still at way back in the line, and what I definitely do not like is the fact that 2014 and 2013 WCers get to pick first. Even if they haven't cruise Crystal before - they get a chance to pick the same room they booked for '14 while Crystal Society members wait for the "crumbs". We have friends who have done umpteen WCs and didn't book 2014 and are in the same situation we are in. I think it would be fair to book in order of waitlist reservation, but I can't do anything about that except look at other ships.

At introduction, Crystal was taking $1,000 per person deposits to be placed on a 'priority' waitlist. This is no longer the case since they have announced the pricing for the World Cruise. The required deposit to be waitlisted is now 20% of your full cruise fare. I was told that those who posted the original deposit have until October 26th to convert to the 'new' waitlist. I have aleady voiced my displeasure with this policy in my previous post, however I have the following observations. I think perhaps Crystal has underpriced the 2015 World Cruise in an effort to book it up early. Several years ago they had problems filling their World Cruises. Also, being a USA to USA sailing, there are many guests who no longer wish to fly overseas to enjoy a World Cruise. This is also evidenced by an increased number of USA sailings in 2014, including using San Diego and Boston as 'Homeports'. I believe that we may see more of this trend in the future. This is a simple case of supply and demand. There seem to be too many guests seeking too few cabins for these more desirable homeport sailings. Good for Crystal, but bad for us.

Andrew

Right, we paid the PH wait list deposit of $3000 way back on day one. Of course now there are no PH left. Perhaps we will have some advantage as we put our 20% down early in the day on 10/10? Who knows? To me, it seems Crystal is sacrificing long time repeat cruisers for new ones, who may (or may not) be less loyal in the future. We'll go with it to the last day, but we are still irked.

Right, we paid the PH wait list deposit of $3000 way back on day one. Of course now there are no PH left. Perhaps we will have some advantage as we put our 20% down early in the day on 10/10? Who knows? To me, it seems Crystal is sacrificing long time repeat cruisers for new ones, who may (or may not) be less loyal in the future. We'll go with it to the last day, but we are still irked.

I am not taking sides on this item, so please do not shoot the messenger. I am just explaining the process as I understand it. Your TA can confirm this.

Once they assign the cabins to those who are booked on the 2014 World Cruise and who booked the 2015 World Cruise they will then proceed with those who are booked on the 2013 who booked this World Cruise as well. They will then they will make the assignments in the priority order of the wait lists and will do their best to assign the desired cabins that have been requested and the room or a room in very close proximity of what has been requested.

Your advantage was getting the wait list in early.

They began taking wait lists on March 27 and I remember posting on this board to give a heads up to as many people as possible about getting a wait list in.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1603316&highlight=2015+world+cruise

If you got your wait list in early I think you will have a very good chance of getting the category you want.

Keith

I think perhaps Crystal has underpriced the 2015 World Cruise in an effort to book it up early. Several years ago they had problems filling their World Cruises. Also, being a USA to USA sailing, there are many guests who no longer wish to fly overseas to enjoy a World Cruise. Andrew

Andrew

The more reasonable fares than many of us anticipated, and the fact that it is R/T Miami just add to the reasons why, having made my decision, I wanted to lock in my booking for preferred stateroom and location now as I also have to include in my total WC budget for getting myself and sufficient luggage for a WC to and from Miami. I'm a complete newbie to the WC so my CS history counts for nothing and I would be way down the bottom of the wait list, and I'm not prepared to incur the forex and credit card foreign charges fees in addition to the 20% deposit unless I know what I'm getting, as I could end up having to get the deposit refunded and then lose even more money on the refund forex!!!

Anne

The good news is that if you got that wait list back in early April you should be fine.

I knew this World Cruise would likely be very popular because of the very unique itinerary and was trying to encourage others to do wait lists sooner rather than later.

My guess is that maybe five rooms would be associated with someone booking the 2015 World Cruise who have booked a previous World Cruise and for that World Cruise would be first time Crystal Cruisers and the odds would say maybe one PH would be associated with that.

I hope it all works out for you and look forward to meeting you both.

I am thrilled at the number of people from Cruise Critic who are considering this sailing either doing one or multiple segments or the full world cruise.

Keith

If I put down a deposit of 20% for PH of like $30,000 2 years in advance are they seriously going to turn around and give me a C cabin and shrug their shoulders saying sorry? Excuse me I will pull my money and business out of Crystal so fast it will make their heads spin. I also do NOT want to spend 4 months in a way forward PH. Sorry not acceptable again.

This sounds so very fishy. I even understand that people with past WCs under their belts but not on WC 14 will not be able to pre-book. This must change. It makes me feel indeed like I am risking a sizeable chunk of money on a very unknown quantity.

I am not a big risk taker.

Ilene

If I put down a deposit of 20% for PH of like $30,000 2 years in advance are they seriously going to turn around and give me a C cabin and shrug their shoulders saying sorry? Excuse me I will pull my money and business out of Crystal so fast it will make their heads spin. I also do NOT want to spend 4 months in a way forward PH. Sorry not acceptable again.

This sounds so very fishy. I even understand that people with past WCs under their belts but not on WC 14 will not be able to pre-book. This must change. It makes me feel indeed like I am risking a sizeable chunk of money on a very unknown quantity.

I am not a big risk taker.

Ilene

Ilene, if your wait list has been converted to a regular booking you would then be guaranteed a PH, but it would be a PH Guarantee until the assignments are done around mid December.

The most forward PH cabins on Deck 10 where most of the PH's are located are Deluxe Staterooms. On Deck other than two PH cabins the PS cabins are actually far forward.

Keith

We requested deck 10. Maybe I (and some of you other WC newbies) should offer a lot more cabin choices to Crystal to pick. We only gave them 4. The onboard hostess seemed to think that was enough. I am not so sure. Thanks for the reassurance. We feel lucky to be in this position. Only a little unsure is all.

Keith, I will exhale in December after we have a room number. This is all very nerve wrecking due to the financial commitment. I know it is a fantastic investment. I am sure others feel as I do we don't want to make any mistakes with this kind of money and dream.

thanks,

ilene

Excuse my simple mind, but is everyone saying that if I call Crystal or my TA today and put down the 20% deposit, it is possible we wouldn't actually get a cabin? Or is it like a "guarantee" where we would secure something in the category we requested or "better"? Seems like Crystal is taking on more of a logistical nightmare than if they simply handled the WC the same as other voyages.

Ilene, I would see if you can give them a few more choices. We normally give them four but you might want to add a few more. Just be sure they have them in priority order.

I fully understand that it will be nice to have this one all firmed up. It's never fun to wait for things that we all consider to be important.

Best to you.

Keith

So we will get an actual room assignment THIS December or December 2014? I thought they had to give "first choice" to the WC 14 cruisers first? Am I wrong? It has happened previously ;) . Thank you for clarification.

One more question if you please. We are talking about having our single (gorgeous)young adult daughter come on one segment with us. Will the single supplement be 25% or higher? Any advantage to booking her early? She will be in the "cheap seats" that is E if we can find one. We are letting her select which voyage meets her needs. Lucky girl eh? Also can we use our open onboard booking for her cabin? Mom and Dad are covering it so it is our booking just under her name. What are the rules there?

thanks

Archived