World Cruise 2015

Keith1010

Excuse my simple mind' date=' but is everyone saying that if I call Crystal or my TA today and put down the 20% deposit, it is possible we wouldn't actually get a cabin? Or is it like a "guarantee" where we would secure something in the category we requested or "better"? Seems like Crystal is taking on more of a logistical nightmare than if they simply handled the WC the same as other voyages.[/quote']

Caryn, the only thing I read was someone saying that PH cabins and I believe Deck 7 cabins were sold out. Not sure whether or not that is correct.

There are many categories that are available.

So, if say you book a cabin on Deck 8. You will get a guarantee for the category you book. Then come around mid-December you will get your cabin assignment.

They have done this for years. It has never been a problem in terms of the logistics. We booked the WC07 in the Fall of 2005on a wait list, then when the pricing came out it was converted to a guarantee and then in December we got our assignment and then we had thirteen months to plan. In this case once the assignments are firmed up there will be twenty five months to plan.

It was no big deal. We never thought anything about it. We understood that those who were booked on the prior World Cruise would be given priority.

We were very pleased with our cabin and the rest is history. We loved the World Cruise.

Keith

So we will get an actual room assignment THIS December or December 2014? I thought they had to give "first choice" to the WC 14 cruisers first? Am I wrong? It has happened previously ;) . Thank you for clarification.

One more question if you please. We are talking about having our single (gorgeous)young adult daughter come on one segment with us. Will the single supplement be 25% or higher? Any advantage to booking her early? She will be in the "cheap seats" that is E if we can find one. We are letting her select which voyage meets her needs. Lucky girl eh? Also can we use our open onboard booking for her cabin? Mom and Dad are covering it so it is our booking just under her name. What are the rules there?

thanks

Ilene you will get the assignment this December. Yes, December of 2012, twenty five months prior to the start of the World Cruise. It is earlier than ever before.

Ilene, that is wonderful that you are considering having your daughter join you for one segment. We had our daughter and son in law join us for one segment of WC08. From time to time others do this as well. It's very special.

I would go ahead and get a deposit in right away.

Now, that one will be a gurantee and you likely will not find out the room assignment until December, 2014. Yes, 2014 as that is done like most guarantees for other voyages.

They might not be taking guarantees at this point for Deck 7 but the key is to check right away.

Keith

Thanks Keith,

What would we do without you?

Still two questions for my experts:

1. Can our onboard discount for an "open cruise" be assigned to our daughter's segment?

2. Also anyone out there know the single supplement charges for WC15 segments?

Thanks I looked on the Crystal site and couldn't find this.

Ilene

Thanks Keith,

What would we do without you?

Still two questions for my experts:

1. Can our onboard discount for an "open cruise" be assigned to our daughter's segment?

2. Also anyone out there know the single supplement charges for WC15 segments?

Thanks I looked on the Crystal site and couldn't find this.

Ilene

Ilene, for number 1 best to check with Crystal. I have made an on board booking for kids when they weren't on the cruise. I am just not sure if you can take one in your names and convert it to them. So, just check with the reservations department.

For Standard Rooms right now the single supplement is 25%. Not sure whether or not that is capacity driven like other cruises but think that is what it is right now based on what I was told by someone else the other day.

Keith

Caryn, the only thing I read was someone saying that PH cabins and I believe Deck 7 cabins were sold out. Not sure whether or not that is correct.

There are many categories that are available.

So, if say you book a cabin on Deck 8. You will get a guarantee for the category you book. Then come around mid-December you will get your cabin assignment.

They have done this for years. It has never been a problem in terms of the logistics. We booked the WC07 in the Fall of 2005on a wait list, then when the pricing came out it was converted to a guarantee and then in December we got our assignment and then we had thirteen months to plan. In this case once the assignments are firmed up there will be twenty five months to plan.

It was no big deal. We never thought anything about it. We understood that those who were booked on the prior World Cruise would be given priority.

We were very pleased with our cabin and the rest is history. We loved the World Cruise.

Keith

Thank you Keith. I am certainly not stressing about when we would receive a cabin assignment, I just wanted to know that putting down a deposit would guarantee our choice of cabin category or possibly something "better". I didn't want to be surprised by Crysal accepting our deposit and then saying there are no cabins left in our requested category due to the priority list, and the only choice was refund or pay an upgraded amount. We are truly interested in this WC itinerary and experience.....Stan says by 2015 we might need to take our new 4-legged child onboard as an assistance dog :D

Hi Caryn, I know it can be confusing.

If Crystal takes your deposit you are guaranteed a cabin.

I just would do this sooner rather than later.

The irony is that we (well me) would really like a dog and I would like a Golden Retriever. Our son/daughter in law would likely watch it for us so at some point and that would be the only way we could do it.

It would be great if you and Stan booked the cruise. It is very special. And there is that other added benefit of tennis.

Keith

Ilene you will get the assignment this December. Yes, December of 2012, twenty five months prior to the start of the World Cruise. It is earlier than ever before.

Ilene, that is wonderful that you are considering having your daughter join you for one segment. We had our daughter and son in law join us for one segment of WC08. From time to time others do this as well. It's very special.

I would go ahead and get a deposit in right away.

Now, that one will be a gurantee and you likely will not find out the room assignment until December, 2014. Yes, 2014 as that is done like most guarantees for other voyages.

They might not be taking guarantees at this point for Deck 7 but the key is to check right away.

Keith

I just made a reservation on the 2015 WC, and have 24 hours to decide if I want to put down the 20% deposit. I want the "cheap seats" -- C category -- and am holding onto a "C3 Guarantee". So, I would get my cabin assignment in December 2014? What if I hate the cabin location, and it's too late to get a refund and cancel? Seems like a big gamble to take for such a lengthy and expensive voyage... :confused:

Hi Keith...I am no longer confused :) The reality is we aren't too particular about our cabin since we simply use it to sleep and change....but 108 days might be a different story! My parents took care of our 1st Golden child during our 1st two Crystal cruises.....but again, 108 days is different than 12!

Stan just mentioned to me that we need to start planning (visas, etc.) along with brushing up on our paddle tennis so you will play with us! One would say "follow your heart", but part of my heart knows I can't leave our boy that long, and the other part says this would be an experience of a life time!

Maybe we should place a deposit simply to keep the possibility alive....depending on the outcome of our Presidential election, we might choose to spend it before it is taken away! (but that subject is for another place and time)

Thank you to all posters, as regardless of whether we end up sailing on the 2015 WC, I enjoy listening to the conversation!

I just made a reservation on the 2015 WC, and have 24 hours to decide if I want to put down the 20% deposit. I want the "cheap seats" -- C category -- and am holding onto a "C3 Guarantee". So, I would get my cabin assignment in December 2014? What if I hate the cabin location, and it's too late to get a refund and cancel? Seems like a big gamble to take for such a lengthy and expensive voyage... :confused:

If you are booking the full World Cruise you should be able to get your cabin assignment this December. I would confirm this with Crystal unless they are only doing Guarantees for that Category.

Keith

Caryn, that is a good approach. If you think you may want to do the WC I would put the deposit down now and then you have plenty of time to decide. It's a long off from now but if this cruise is as popular as I think it will be you don't want to wait to put the deposit down.

Even 2013 has turned out to be very popular. I know one couple who this past February wanted a specific category for 2013 and it was all taken and there are others we know who tried recently to book the full World Cruise and also had no luck. This is quite different than say the 2011 World Cruise.

I am the one that needs to brush up on my paddle tennis. You and Stan are amazing. Just let me be your tennis partner and if in doubt you can return the ball for the two of us. :p

Keith

I strongly suspect we will get a puppy after this trip is done. We have been waiting until the big travel is "done". Opps is it ever done?

My guess is "no" once one gets hooked on Crystal! After losing our 14 year old golden only-child a year ago, I thought it would be a long time before I was able to open my heart again.....but our new 2 yr old found us a few months ago, and despite the restrictions he is putting on our travel ideas, he is sooo worth it!

I wonder if one of us could fly home once a month for a few days during the WC so he wouldn't forget what we look like :D

I wonder if one of us could fly home once a month for a few days during the WC so he wouldn't forget what we look like :D

Another possibility is to get the child an iPhone, iPad or even a Mac and then use FaceTime.

And you can look for gifts in various ports to bring back home for your Golden child.

Keith

Another possibility is to get the child an iPhone, iPad or even a Mac and then use FaceTime.

And you can look for gifts in various ports to bring back home for your Golden child.

Keith

Great minds think alike....I was just thinking about Skype when I submitted my last post! I could then keep up on his training :D

Caryn

OK, I'm in. Paid the deposit. But 2015 is soooo far off. LOL. Then it occurred to me ...when to take insurance..ooooh, 2015. Anyone have advice on the insurance angle?

If you have a pre-existing condition, then for most third party insurance policies that are not through the cruise line you need to usually purchase them within two weeks of the deposit.

I would look at the policy offered by Crystal and then compare it to other policies. A very good site to use to do the research is insuremytrip.com

Keith

I strongly suspect we will get a puppy after this trip is done. We have been waiting until the big travel is "done". Opps is it ever done?

wish there was a LIKE button!!!

Nancy

PS. will fully email you back soon...all ok here and so excited for you and Andy about the future!!!

"If you got your wait list in early I think you will have a very good chance of getting the category you want." Keith

LOL, Ray and I were the first couple to sign up for the 2015 WC within 15 minutes after Gregg Michel announced it and Betty and Chris were second ...even requested our cabins....sooo we also have to wait to find out our cabin...all they will say is our cabin request is "noted".

Let the waiting begin....and the anticipation grow!!!!

I understand how Anne and Andrew feel about "the long line" uncertainty for their desired cabin. But it is my understanding that Crystal is merely following a long established protocol for assigning WC suites. I have known for years that Crystal waits for the current WC pax to sign up before going forward with assignments. Only b/c I was on the 2008 WC and learned of the process. But it is well known that WCers are only a portion of the total capacity and that Crystal (many feel) depended on the segmenters to make the WC a success. Now, perhaps that has all changed...supply and demand may have changed significantly. Andrew supplied some insight in an earlier post and I think Keith caught the significant change back in March and posted then on CC. To me, this is mind boggling. However, I do not see 1,000 full WCers in 2015 or anywhere near that number. (I can believe that Crystal is trying for it). At this time, I think both Anne and Andrew will find cabins to suit them if they hustle.

It will be interesting how Crystal handles this. I really think this sudden surge of requests has greatly surprised them. I know when I called my TA and they put through my request for 2015 Crystal had no system up to handle it. Obviously now they do and are taking in all comers.

I hope Anne and Andrew will be happy with their arrangements with Crystal.

Crystal called me yesterday to confirm my waitlist deposit for a single. Supplent for a single was 25% for a B or C category.

Becky

They told you 25% SS for a Cat. B? The calculations I received show the SS as 35% for Cat. B, but the sub-category I requested is already closed.:mad:

Anne

Becky

They told you 25% SS for a Cat. B? The calculations I received show the SS as 35% for Cat. B, but the sub-category I requested is already closed.:mad:

Anne

I'm sorry, Ann. I misrepresented the quote. I asked the young lady I spoke with to calculate sgl fares for me in Cat C 1-3 & B1-3. She was feverishly hitting the keys of a calculator because she told me the computer was spitting out fares that automatically added insurance & some other fee that wasn't applicable. (I was scribbling on a scratch pad during this conversation. Afterward, I transferred those figures to a spread sheet & threw away the scratch pad note. I cannot say for sure what she was deducting from the fare quotes to arrive at the figures she gave me.) I think it may be against CC policy to publish the exact quote per category, so I will not do so.

I have since broken down each quote on that spread sheet; & can confirm that the B's ARE NOT marked up 25%. But neither are they marked up 35%. The quote for a B3 single is $972 LESS than a flat 35 surcharge%. This is based on the B3 base priced pp/do rate + sgl suppl. + port taxes - $9,000 'book now' discount - $1,160 C.S. discount - $1,160 OBB discount. I hope this explanation makes some sense, even if the percentage rate does not.

That's why I've NEVER been able to verify the figures they come up with. I leave it to my TA to check for accuracy; & I accept that figure (even if it doesn't agree with my calculations). Regardless, I found the B3 a little too much for me; so I homed in on the C's. Was told C1 & C2 are gone. I am fine with a C3; just have to figure out which ones I deem acceptable.

I am truly sorry to have caused alarm with my broad statement that both C's & B's were 25%.

Archived