Tipping for children

CajunLiner

What are the guidelines for tipping for children on Celebrity? Are they the same as for adults?

You may get disagreements on this but if the child is a third or fourth in a room, CELEBRITY recommends 1/2 per child. If the child is a first or second, the regular adult gratutities apply.

hi,

Straight out of the Celebrity Today daily paper for April 21, 2005 on the Summit. "Children under 11 need only tip half the above amounts." You can get the recommended amounts at the Celebrity website. And this Celebrity website also, which is a little more detailed in the answer and guidelines.

Yes, the guidelines call for 50% of an adult if the child is 3/4th in the cabin. We have tipped at least the full 100% amount because of the work/attention that our kids often generate from the dining room and cabin staff.

We have taken our daughters on 50 percent of these cruises in our same cain and ALWAYS tip full adult price for them, because they mess up the bed, towels, bathroom, and eat the same as we do. I think Celebrities discounting the kids tip is unfair to the extremely hard working crew.

What are the guidelines for tipping for children on Celebrity? Are they the same as for adults?

I didn't realize that Celebrity employed any children in jobs that require tipping such as waiters or cabin stewards. I thought all the children were locked below decks stoking the furnace with coal........:rolleyes:

Not bad...not bad at all...for a Wednesday morning:D

I didn't realize that Celebrity employed any children in jobs that require tipping such as waiters or cabin stewards. I thought all the children were locked below decks stoking the furnace with coal........:rolleyes:

Our TA contacted Celebrity and Celebrity themselves calculated the tips. They did actually charge 1/2 for the kids, even though they have their own room. However, because they DO have THEIR OWN ROOM, we are paying the full amount of tips (not 1/2) upfront and any "extras" as we see fit. I can't stand when people stiff workers who rely on tips for a living. My sister owns a restaurant with excellent wait staff, and I can't believe the number of people who don't tip!

Donna

I like the approach "Makeithappen" takes. We've taken our grandson (age 1, then 2-1/2) with us on two trips, and each time, at least one member of the crew has done any number of "above and beyond" things for him/us that have netted that person more than the standard adult tip. I look at the service rendered rather than the age of the guest.

By the time his first cruise was over, our GS been introduced to most of the lower floor of the main dining room by our waiter Mert.

IMGP0580.jpg.cd945386c1b5c0ef83ec806aa9a66a19.jpg

I didn't realize that Celebrity employed any children in jobs that require tipping such as waiters or cabin stewards. I thought all the children were locked below decks stoking the furnace with coal........

Good one! Personally, I think tipping for children should be the same as for adults. They make the same messes, (maybe more), especially in the dining rooms, and the crew has to cater more to them in some instances. The staff and crew have to work just hard cleaning after children as they do adults.

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, have taken my kids on a good number of cruises and have ALWAYS tipped AT LEAST the full amount for the kids, even when they were small and shared our cabin...

I don't care if the "recommendations" from the cruise line say "half"...

Think of it this way...The kids make major messes in the cabin...they each take up an extra bed which has to be made daily...and they each take up a spot at the table in the dining room...

The waiters are assigned a limited number of tables, hence a lmited number of tippers per cruise...Those tips are their income...Why should a waiter have a decreased income because he got your family assigned to his table rather than a full table of adults?

Also, think about this: Tips, depending on cruise line (and whether you have a suite or an ordinary cabin), are somewhere in the realm of $10 per person per day...So, on a seven night cruise, by only paying half the suggested tip, you are saving a whopping $35 per kid!!! I don't know about you, but, after cruise fare, tips, air, hotels, transfers, shore excursions, bar bill, souveniers, etc., I'm typically dropping anywhere from $1,500 to $6,000 per person (kids included) on a cruise...We all are...Compared to these third world working class crew members, we're just plain extravagantly rich...even the poorest out there among us...

What does that $35 mean to me? It means that when I get home, maybe we eat at home one night rather than going out...And to tell you the truth, it doesn't even mean that to me...we go out to eat anyway and don't worry much about it...But, the idea is that the $35 doesn't really mean that much to any of us...BUT think about what it means to your hardworking waiter, assistant waiter and cabin steward...who work virtually around the clock without a day off catering to your (AND YOUR KIDS') every need...

I really think Celebrity should flat out STOP enabling those half-rate tippers...stingy folks who want to stiff the crew don't have to follow the guidelines anyway...

BRAVO Steve! You have put it succinctly and accurately.

There are readers however who just won't see it that way. But I do see it that way.

The same people who might complain about $35.00 are the ones who feel they are getting 'nickel and dimed' to death because they have to pay for things like the specialty restaurant, and the golf simulator.

Thanks for the comments.

What I did before the cruise was to calculate the tip based on 1/2 for my daughter, the third person, and put it in envelopes which were later decorated by my daughter. In generally (aside from MY special requests), my daughter is very low key (I make sure her clothes are put away, she doesn't leave toothpaste stuck in the sink, she doesn't spill/make mess at the restaurant, etc.). However, the night before sealing the envelopes, we gave everyone more (yes, even the assistant head housekeeper or whatever the title is) and in the end probably made up more than enough for a third "adult".

I appreciate the guidelines given by Celebrity, and it helps answers the question of what to do w/the child.

Originally posted by Bruin Steve:

""The waiters are assigned a limited number of tables, hence a lmited number of tippers per cruise...Those tips are their income...Why should a waiter have a decreased income because he got your family assigned to his table rather than a full table of adults?""

Actually, our kids don't even eat with us. I think our waiter was a bit upset at first, because he probably thought it meant his tip was going to be less, but I agree with the above post, he shouldn't have to suffer because our kids did not wish to eat at the formal dining with us......and he wasn't! So he actually came out ahead, with a generous tip and a lot less work to do.

Donna

Archived