Our DIY Naples Report - Capri

VirtualRain

Virtual Rain:

You said that you did a DIY tour from Naples by car to Positano.

Is it posted anywhere?

Have been to Capri and maybe thinking of something different.

Was the driving difficult?

Thanks

Sharon

Yeah, there's a link to that report at the top of post #1. And no... The driving was not difficult at all.

We are going on Celebrity in May and was wondering what we should do. We did Naples with NCL a few years ago and did the ship's excursion to the Amalfi Coast/Sorrento.

Thanks to your amazing pics and info - we will be doing Capri this time. Thanks so much for your post!!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great writeup! We are going to Naples in June and are researching on a day trip from the port to Capri. So glad to found your post here. Really enjoyed your pix and any more photos will be greatly appreciated!

~Dean

Fab pics and report as ever Virtual Rain... the pic with the overview lookout from the Villa is just amazing! Can't wait to do that justice! :)

Thinking of our own plans.... may do a boat tour round the island first, not bothered about seeing the Blue Grotto as such then up to Anacapri and then back to Capri Town to walk round, find lunch somewhere and the 1st of 2 trips to Buonocare ice cream shop! :)

Their pistachio ice cream is just awesome! :)

Thanks you for this amazing post! We spent 3 days on the island a few years ago but this summer will be on a cruise and only visiting for a day. I was struggling with how to do it - now I know. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Alissa

Thanks you for this amazing post! We spent 3 days on the island a few years ago but this summer will be on a cruise and only visiting for a day. I was struggling with how to do it - now I know. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Alissa

You're welcome, it's really a credit to the wealth of information available in this forum as it all came from fellow posters here in one form or another.

Edited by VirtualRain

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, VirtualRain. I will be on the NCL Epic docking in Naples for a day.....very keen on a DIY trip to Capri, Anacapri and maybe the Blue Grotto. During a previous cruise, Costa had to cancel the shore excursion to Capri due to rough weather. So, hopefully, this time, will get a chance to make up and do that. Your notes and photos have been very encouraging. As soon as I am done submitting this reply, will look for your inputs for the other ports.

You're welcome, it's really a credit to the wealth of information available in this forum as it all came from fellow posters here in one form or another.

Dear VirutalRain....you are our VirtualHero! Last year we had a great day in Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano, and Amalfi from Naples port. We just booked for a May sailing from Barcelona, which will also stop in Naples. We really want to see Capri this time. Being squeezed for time and trying to make arrangements at so many ports, your report has been such an incredible help for Capri. As everyone else has commented here, thank you very much! PS..if Leela14 is still on this thread..which day will you guys be in Capri in May??

Ok, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a couple of questions?

First, I read that great report re Livorno as well. We have 7a-7p there. Thinking about renting a car (oh, hope you finally got your overcharges removed). We are trying to decide between doing San G/Siena (or San G/Volterre) vs. doing Cinque Terre. If we don't want to be overly rushed or concerned about missing ship, which one of those areas would you choose. Also, which would be your first choice regardless of time?

Second, we have 7a-7p in Civitavecchia and planning on renting a car there. Do you think a drive to Orvieto, Civita, and Tuscania is too much with respect to the amount of time we have there. I've read others have done it, but certainly don't want to create too much of a time crunch. We already ruled out Tarquinia since we're there on a Monday :(

Again, you've helped so many of us with your reports. CruiseMom, you have been a tremendous help as well. Can't thank you guys enough!

Dear VirutalRain....you are our VirtualHero! Last year we had a great day in Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano, and Amalfi from Naples port. We just booked for a May sailing from Barcelona, which will also stop in Naples. We really want to see Capri this time. Being squeezed for time and trying to make arrangements at so many ports, your report has been such an incredible help for Capri. As everyone else has commented here, thank you very much! PS..if Leela14 is still on this thread..which day will you guys be in Capri in May??

Ok, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a couple of questions?

First, I read that great report re Livorno as well. We have 7a-7p there. Thinking about renting a car (oh, hope you finally got your overcharges removed). We are trying to decide between doing San G/Siena (or San G/Volterre) vs. doing Cinque Terre. If we don't want to be overly rushed or concerned about missing ship, which one of those areas would you choose. Also, which would be your first choice regardless of time?

Second, we have 7a-7p in Civitavecchia and planning on renting a car there. Do you think a drive to Orvieto, Civita, and Tuscania is too much with respect to the amount of time we have there. I've read others have done it, but certainly don't want to create too much of a time crunch. We already ruled out Tarquinia since we're there on a Monday :(

Again, you've helped so many of us with your reports. CruiseMom, you have been a tremendous help as well. Can't thank you guys enough!

Haha... you're too kind! :) Glad you've found this helpful though.

With regards to Livorno, we should probably take this conversation up there and leave this thread for Capri related discussion. But, my short answer is... Both your options are totally doable on a port day.

I have no insights for you on driving from Civi around that area... I would search or start another thread on that topic. Sorry.

• 2 months later...

Hi, VirtualRain

Could I ask when you said "We worked our way slowly south through town towards the Gardens of Augustus which offers some fantastic views of the sea stacks and Via Krupp…". DO you mean walking or did you take the bus?

I love your report. It's going to be our guide for our July trip.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Howdy thanks for the review pics and advice wifey and me will be making use of them all.

My questions is this ;

The website you recommended at the start suggests using the clearing house to obtain to a voucher for the next available ferry and then you go on to say it may be prudent to purchase your return ticket on arrival in Capri.

So am I correct in thinking you can only buy a "onewayer" ie not a return ticket at Naples. And another assumption is that if you could buy a return that limits you to using the particular operator on the way back ??

Cheer

Sean:D

The website you recommended at the start suggests using the clearing house to obtain to a voucher for the next available ferry and then you go on to say it may be prudent to purchase your return ticket on arrival in Capri.

So am I correct in thinking you can only buy a "onewayer" ie not a return ticket at Naples. And another assumption is that if you could buy a return that limits you to using the particular operator on the way back ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "clearing house", but the easiest way to do this is to simply purchase a one way ticket from the operator running the boat you want. As you approach Molo Beverello there's a large electronic screen listing the upcoming crossings (you can see this in Virtual Rain's original post, the second picture), you just find the next one to Capri and go and purchase a ticket from that vendor.

You can purchase a round trip ticket from the vendor you use to go to Capri, the downside of this method is that you are limited to the return times offered by that vendor. If there is a time you are comfortable with, go ahead and get the return tickets when you buy your outgoing ones. If their return times are too early or too late for you, wait and purchase your return ticket on Capri where you can choose from the full range of vendors and times. Just don't wait until the end of the day to do this; go and purchase your return ticket immediately upon arrival on Capri so you don't face a "sold out" situation or a long line to purchase later in the day.

Edited by euro cruiser

Thanx eurocruiser,

The common theme I seem to seeing is that in Italy buying a return doesn't get anything cheaper - ie trains to Rome / Florence etc.

Cheers for ya input I'm sure wifey and me will love Capri just as much as Positano / Amalfi last year ;)

Hi, VirtualRain

Could I ask when you said "We worked our way slowly south through town towards the Gardens of Augustus which offers some fantastic views of the sea stacks and Via Krupp…". DO you mean walking or did you take the bus?

I love your report. It's going to be our guide for our July trip.

Thanks!

As Euro Cruiser says, you get to the Gardens of Augustus on foot walking through Capri Town along it's interesting narrow streets/alley ways.

I set up my own google map and then found this post, your map is almost identical to mine :) I guess I am on the right track!

thanks for confirming that Naples->Capri is DIY-able

Good stuff. It's absolutely DIY-able :)

And thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Edited by VirtualRain

• 4 months later...

Where did you hire your guide? We're going to be on a cruise in early April.

Definitely Pompeii. Went there the first time w/o a guide and just books. This time we hired a guide-archeologist who was with us for the day and we went to Herculeneaum, too. Got a lot out of it this way, The guide also goes ahead in a special line to get the tickets, so there isn't a long wait . It was crowded in late October, Also showed us the "free" WC's.

• 1 month later...
VirtualRain and Cruisemom,

Any chance I can contact you to talk about Naples? I want to know how difficult it would be to DIY?

The purpose of a shared message board is to have the conversation publicly so that others can benefit as you do. Odds are that others have the same questions that you do, so having the answers posted on the message board spreads the wealth, so to speak.

Maybe you could start a new thread with your specific questions?

This is just the sort of thread I was looking for to plan a day in Capri. Thank you! Does Celebrity dock close to the Naples ferry terminal? We will be there on June 12th. Will it be the high tourist season with the accompanying crowds on that date?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is just the sort of thread I was looking for to plan a day in Capri. Thank you! Does Celebrity dock close to the Naples ferry terminal? We will be there on June 12th. Will it be the high tourist season with the accompanying crowds on that date?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You are very lucky if you are docking in Naples most of the itineraries have changed to docking in Salerno which is much more difficult for transportation.

As to your question the ferry docks are virtually next door to cruise ship terminals.