Our DIY Naples Report - Capri

VirtualRain

Thank you very much for your wonderful and informative posts. As always, your pictures are amazing. I so wish we were in port for 2 or more days as there is just more to see than we can do in a Single Day. Hubby wants to see Pompeii and I want to see the Blue Grotto and Capri, but Pompeii it will be for the first trip. :D

L.A.S.T.

Definitely Pompeii. Went there the first time w/o a guide and just books. This time we hired a guide-archeologist who was with us for the day and we went to Herculeneaum, too. Got a lot out of it this way, The guide also goes ahead in a special line to get the tickets, so there isn't a long wait . It was crowded in late October, Also showed us the "free" WC's.

Definitely Pompeii. Went there the first time w/o a guide and just books. This time we hired a guide-archeologist who was with us for the day and we went to Herculeneaum, too. Got a lot out of it this way, The guide also goes ahead in a special line to get the tickets, so there isn't a long wait . It was crowded in late October, Also showed us the "free" WC's.

We are planning on using Rick Steves Audio Guide at least. Although we've read up some, simply not enough time to really study it. Sigh...

So much to do, only one life.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the useful information posted here and the pictures are fantastic - I can't wait!!!

Question: We have the opportunity for a personal guide for 10 people costing $38 USD per person. Could anyone tell me if they feel this is money well spent or if DIY is just as beneficial? I'm torn as with booking this guide, he would be with us the whole time, giving instruction on what it is we are looking at, making sure we got to all the 'must see' places and from reading the previous posts, I'm thinking there's a lot of history that if you didn't do your research, you would miss. We would still be responsible for our hydrofoil costs as well as any extras that we chose to do like the funicular. The guide would arrange for booking the times as well as a mini-bus to drive us around on the island.

I guess what I'm asking is 'is it worth the extra $38 per person or would you just go with out the convenience of the guide and pre-booked transfers and wonder on your own?'

Any information would be helpful. Thanks!!!

Could you please share your information on the personal guide? Thanks in advance.

So does everyone walk from the cruise dock to the ferry port? Mobility not an issue at all, just don't want have a LONG unexpected hike trying to catch a ferry......

I've been to Naples twice. First on the Carnival Magic and it tied up at a pier a bit further away (near the top "X" on the harbour map below which is maybe a 20min walk from the ferry terminal). This trip we were on Princess and tied up at the main cruise terminal adjacent to the ferry terminal which was a 5min. walk.

attachment.php?attachmentid=212013&d=1320959483

(BTW, ignore the other symbols on this map, they are for the Hertz rental office, not the ferry terminal location. See the map in the original post for details on the Capri ferry terminal location)

Edited by VirtualRain

Virtual Rain-your report was wonderful!! Wondering if I could ask a question-will be arriving in naples off of cruise ship in May and would like to see Sorrento & Capri if possible in same day. Have from 7am-7pm in port. Do you think it would be possible and best option to go to Sorrento first and then onto to Capri or vice versa? Just thought coming back from Capri straight to cruise ship was quicker option. Ideas?? thanks:)

Edited by flgajaja
added something

Capri is slightly further south than Sorrento, and there are frequent ferry connections between the three throughout the day, so it really won't make a difference.

What is it that you want to see or do in Sorrento? To me, there's not a lot of "there" there, if you get my drift. Eating and shopping is pretty much it, with one or two other things thrown in. If shopping is what you want, keep in mind that many of the stores close during the afternoon, which would mean you'd want to go to Sorrento in the morning.

Capri is slightly further south than Sorrento, and there are frequent ferry connections between the three throughout the day, so it really won't make a difference.

What is it that you want to see or do in Sorrento? To me, there's not a lot of "there" there, if you get my drift. Eating and shopping is pretty much it, with one or two other things thrown in. If shopping is what you want, keep in mind that many of the stores close during the afternoon, which would mean you'd want to go to Sorrento in the morning.

I agree... Not a lot to see in Sorrento. I think if folks are headed to Capri, it's best to make a full day out of it. There's lots to see there.

As for Sorrento shops closing in the afternoon, I was there on an October afternoon in 2011 and everything was open and thriving. Are you sure they still close up? Is it a seasonal thing?

• 2 weeks later...
Planning on taking the Ferry to Capri in October.

Does the Ferry get cancelled if the waves get too rough? Would hate to make it to Capri but not make it back due to a change in the weather.

I have no first hand experience with rough seas there, but did see this FAQ when I was planning our trip... http://www.capri.net/en/capri-faq where it says...

What happens if the sea is rough?

If the sea is rough, hydrofoil crossings are suspended. Connections to the island are guaranteed by ferry boat. Seas are rarely rough enough to cause the cancellation of ferry crossings.

In October I wouldn't be too concerned but take the ships port agent contact info just in case.

BTW, I think the ships official excursions use the same hydrofoil ferries as everyone else, so if service is suspended, it will impact a lot of excursions as well and you can probably connect with them to make any other arrangements.

Edited by VirtualRain

I agree... Not a lot to see in Sorrento. I think if folks are headed to Capri, it's best to make a full day out of it. There's lots to see there.

As for Sorrento shops closing in the afternoon, I was there on an October afternoon in 2011 and everything was open and thriving. Are you sure they still close up? Is it a seasonal thing?

Thanks for confirming what I already thought-looks like Capri for day-can't wait. thanks so much

Virtual Rain - What an impressive DIY in Capri!11 Unfortunately our ship is in port from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm. We have been to Capri and Anacapri before but we did not get a chance to walk down the Via Krupp, see the gardens of Augustus, or the Blue Grotto. Allowing 2 hours transport (assuming a short wait for the hydrofoil) We realistically only have three hours on Capri. Is it worth it? Is it enough time to take the funicular up to the center and find our way to the Via Krup walk & garden of Augustus? How long does the walk take? Or.. should we consider something else around Sorrento. We have done the Almalfi coast and Pompei in the past, but would have loved to do this walk. What do you think?

Virtual Rain,

Thanks for your post.

We will be going to Capri (on our own ) in May. I read that it's cash only for hydrofoil tickets from Naples to Capri. Do you know if this is still the case or can we use credit cards for our tickets?

Would appreciate an answer from anyone who has been there recently.

Thanks

Edited by Sunsailor

Virtual Rain - What an impressive DIY in Capri!11 Unfortunately our ship is in port from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm. We have been to Capri and Anacapri before but we did not get a chance to walk down the Via Krupp, see the gardens of Augustus, or the Blue Grotto. Allowing 2 hours transport (assuming a short wait for the hydrofoil) We realistically only have three hours on Capri. Is it worth it? Is it enough time to take the funicular up to the center and find our way to the Via Krup walk & garden of Augustus? How long does the walk take? Or.. should we consider something else around Sorrento. We have done the Almalfi coast and Pompei in the past, but would have loved to do this walk. What do you think?

I think you would definitely have time for a nice visit. It would only take you 10 minutes to take the Funicular up to Capri town and another 10 minutes to walk to the top of Via Krup from there. That should give you plenty of time to walk down the path and explore the area even if you plan to be on a noon hydrofoil back to the mainland. The only problem as I see it, is the value in spending about 80-Euro for the round-trip for two just to spend a couple hours there. If you think you might come back to Naples another time on a more favourable itinerary for another day in Capri, maybe this is a good opportunity to just explore downtown Naples instead?

Virtual Rain,

Thanks for your post.

We will be going to Capri (on our own ) in May. I read that it's cash only for hydrofoil tickets from Naples to Capri. Do you know if this is still the case or can we use credit cards for our tickets?

Would appreciate an answer from anyone who has been there recently.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't recall. We used cash.

Was on the Norwegian Jade recently and didn't do this because the weather was terrible (rain).....BUT the Cruise Director said that NCL no longer offers Capri as an excursion because they lost too many passengers due to the return trip cancellations during surprise bad weather.

Was on the Norwegian Jade recently and didn't do this because the weather was terrible (rain).....BUT the Cruise Director said that NCL no longer offers Capri as an excursion because they lost too many passengers due to the return trip cancellations during surprise bad weather.

Hmmm.....perhaps.

But I've been reading these boards day in and day out since 2005 and I'm not sure I've ever read of anyone being stranded on Capri and unable to return.

It's well known that ships are not disinterested parties when it comes to selling their own tours. Perhaps they simply found they couldn't sell a tour to Capri when it's so easy to get their on one's own......so now they try to "convince" folks to take other tours instead.

Could you please share your information on the personal guide? Thanks in advance.

http://www.ToursByLocals.com Search Tours by locals dot com - Naples. Click on find a tour and then enter tour #10621. The guy whom I corresponded with is Fabrizio. They have a bunch of different tours you can book but I think this was the only one that went to Capri.

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread for a while and didn't see your question until now. If you have any other questions, post them and I'll check this thread more often. We did decide that we would do Capri on our own as there are only four of us that will be going together so we didn't want to spend that much money when you can get the hydro-foil yourself and make your own time arrangements. It has been suggested to me that we book our hydro-foil tickets online prior to arrival and then we are assured of transport.

Take care and have a great trip!

Edited by Choochala

I am on the Jade in Oct, and a Capri tour is a available to book on line, but it does say not available Nov-March.