just how rough is it?

jaxw17

Bonine. :)

The generic chemical name for Bonine is Meclizine(mek' li zeen). The normal Bonine dose is 25 mg per pill.

I can see that meclizine is available from amazon.co.uk, so I think that means you can buy it without a prescription at your retail chemist.

I think it highly unlikely that you could buy it over the counter at a UK pharmacy, though there would be no problem buying on line.

Here you you will be asked all sort of questions before they will sell you strong painkillers.

David.

I think it highly unlikely that you could buy it over the counter at a UK pharmacy, though there would be no problem buying on line.

Here you you will be asked all sort of questions before they will sell you strong painkillers.

David.

Meclizine is not a painkiller. It is an antihistamine/anticholinergic drug that controls nausea, vomiting, and motion sickness. It is over the counter in the US. I can't speak as to whether or not it's a controlled substance or if you need a prescription in the UK, but it is not a narcotic. Unless you're going to Dubai where every drug is a narcotic :eek:

we have been on the qm2 ny to carib and there were a few very rough days that in certain parts of the ship it was a challenge to walk

You weren't on the Jan 3, 2011 ten day sailing to the Caribbean by chance? We were on that one and hit a force 10 on the way home. What you described sounds so delightfully familiar :D

Meclizine is not a painkiller.

I know it isn't. Try buying a cough mixture here. Pharmacists are very careful here on what they will sell without prescription (remember that many don't pay for prescription drugs)

I was questioned closely when I tried to buy Solpadeine for a friend in New Zealand, where it is not available. Had to buy in ones over a few days.

David.

Anyone recommend tablets available to buy in the U.K. I know a lot of threads suggest bonnaire (sp) but this is in the US don't know what the equal is

here in the U.K.

Just hope that the sea is kind to us.

I use Stugeron which works fine for me.

You weren't on the Jan 3, 2011 ten day sailing to the Caribbean by chance? We were on that one and hit a force 10 on the way home. What you described sounds so delightfully familiar :D
that would be us. those silly rabbits..........saying the qm2 does not move. one of the worst was walking past the spa...or trying to. we are on this xmas/new years again. not sure where to board yet with bk term. not up yet

While there definitely is a psychological aspect to sea sickness ( I'm a psychologist for my sins ) just as there is to many ailments, sea sickness is a condition of the inner ear. This results in a cognitive dissonance between the motion we perceive and what we actually experience. Sea sickness drugs alleviate the symptoms but not the source of the problem. Simply looking at and focussing on a fixed spot on the horizon can resolve the difference between the signals from the inner ear and the brains perception.

While there definitely is a psychological aspect to sea sickness ( I'm a psychologist for my sins ) just as there is to many ailments, sea sickness is a condition of the inner ear. This results in a cognitive dissonance between the motion we perceive and what we actually experience. Sea sickness drugs alleviate the symptoms but not the source of the problem. Simply looking at and focussing on a fixed spot on the horizon can resolve the difference between the signals from the inner ear and the brains perception.
As usual we are in TOTAL agreement but I would also suggest trying to keep busy by doing something that we find interesting.

Talking about this ailment whilst at sea is not good for the retention of any oral remedy and I totally agree that the taking of just one tablet is not a cure for this horrible condition, but if the mind says it is then job done and that single tablet was worth its weight in gold.

An example of the differing ways this might effect folks is I once served on an aircraft carrier (the conventional version) and although only 22000 tons it took a lot to get that thing going up and down but there were still folks that suffered from this condition on the calmest of days but put them on a 2000 ton frigate and they might not be ill (unless they lived in the frrd messes) I have also witnessed young sailors being sea sick before the ship left the wall, not nice and sadly not funny.

This is a horrible ailment and I have the utmost of sympathy with anyone that has the misfortune to be struck down by it.

Pins, patches wrist bracelet... Folks should experiment to see what works for them and then what works..... Works

Why would it be easier to buy online than in person??

Yes, and this is the problem. You would not be asked any questions if you bought on line. Questions like"what other medication are you taking".

Maybe it could be argued that people should be permitted to buy whatever drugs they wish on line. I don't think that is a safe thing to do.

David.

I know it isn't. Try buying a cough mixture here. Pharmacists are very careful here on what they will sell without prescription (remember that many don't pay for prescription drugs)

I was questioned closely when I tried to buy Solpadeine for a friend in New Zealand, where it is not available. Had to buy in ones over a few days.

David.

What on earth are you talking about? Either a drug is non precription, when the pharmacist will sell it to you or it's non prescription and they won't.

How many packets were you trying to buy at a time?!

David.

Sea Legs (containing bonine) Avomine and Sturgeron are all availble over the counter and all very effective.

They do question you though - its not a matter of them refusing to sell you OTC stuff, but it can feel that way when you are closely questioned about what you are buying and why.

Of course they have to question and advise. That is not the same as pharnmacists being reluctant to sell anything.

What on earth are you talking about? Either a drug is non precription, when the pharmacist will sell it to you or it's non prescription and they won't.

?!

Not so. Pharmacist in UK (I don't know anything about other countries) have to ask questions about medical history and present prescription drugs taken: it can be dangerous, even life threatening to take some preparations in conjunction with other drug.

They will certainly refuse to sell you a non prescription medicine if they think it could cause harm.

David.

Not so. Pharmacist in UK (I don't know anything about other countries) have to ask questions about medical history and present prescription drugs taken: it can be dangerous, even life threatening to take some preparations in conjunction with other drug.

They will certainly refuse to sell you a non prescription medicine if they think it could cause harm.

David.

That is true. I was recently refused Contac cold medicine by a pharmacist because I use eye drops for Glaucoma.

David.

Quite correct but as I said before you inferred earlier on that it was very difficult to get anything over the counter.

Of course they have to question and advise. That is not the same as pharnmacists being reluctant to sell anything.

But as I and others have pointed out, that is just what they do in some cases, and personally I am glad they do.

We had an unfortunate case in our town recently of a guy who had died due to a mixture of drugs bought on line including morphine sulphate.

Let's just agree that buying drugs online is not a very good idea.

David

Some interesting debate here on the subject.

The only time I was sea sick was leaving Genoa Is it the bay of Lyons? It was my first cruise and I was dreading the Atlantic crossing but once away from here I was okay.

I did wonder though in the case of my Grandson weather there was any relation to car sickness and if others suffer from this does the sea affect them.

The advice is good not to mention it.

I also found that on that first trip the only good thing was to lie down

Anyone recommend tablets available to buy in the U.K. I know a lot of threads suggest bonnaire (sp) but this is in the US don't know what the equal is

here in the U.K.

Just hope that the sea is kind to us.

Can I suggest you try Phenergen liquid its available over the counter but they may have to order it in for you. I have used it for all my children and it is what the ships doctor would prescribe if you Grandson did get seasick onboard.

The chemist will ask you what you want it for and how old the child is. It can be used as a sedative in younger children and for travel sickness and as antihistamine. For children over 12 and adults you can also get it in tablet form.

I use it mainly now as a antihistamine for my 13 year old but have used it on ships when my children were little. It was a ships doctor that first prescribed it for one of my children.

Seasickness is very different from car sickness and if your Grandson is anything like my children he will be too busy in kids club to be ill. Enjoy your cruise

Some interesting points have been made regarding this issue and whilst a remedy might work for me, and it might work for my children, then should I recommend it to anybody else?

Phenergan (promethazine)

Just a quick look at Mr Google and here we go...

Warning!

• This medicine should not be used for longer than seven days without seeking medical advice from your doctor.

• This medicine may cause drowsiness that can last up to 12 hours. If affected you should not perform potentially hazardous tasks such as driving or operating machinery. You should avoid drinking alcohol because it is likely to make any drowsiness worse.
  • This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight than it usually is, so you should avoid exposing your skin to direct sunlight or sunlamps until you know how your skin reacts. If you can't avoid strong sunlight you should use a sunscreen lotion or make sure your skin is protected with clothing.
  • This medicine may interfere with some pregnancy tests, causing false negative or false positive results.
  • If you are due to have any skin prick tests to diagnose allergies you should stop taking this medicine at least 72 hours before the tests. This is because antihistamines can prevent or lessen the skin reactions that indicate an allergy, and so can make the test results unreliable.
  • Phenergan elixir should not be used if the bottle has been open for more than a month. You may find it helpful to write the date you open the bottle on the label. Any syrup remaining in the bottle after it has been open for a month should be carefully disposed of, preferably by returning to your pharmacy.

Use with caution in

• Elderly people.
  • Decreased kidney function.
  • Decreased liver function.

I am only the messenger here and I confess to using that red marking to highlight the possible dangers of buying medications without any regard to possible side effects.

I was always under the opinion that sea sickness was a form of motion sickness and never thought for one minute that it was any different from air sickness or car sickness?

Are you sure sea sickness is just not one of these types of motion ailments.

Movement that is felt but not seen

Movement that is seen but not felt

Movement that contradict what the eyes are seeing and finally that psychological one that has the awful ability to convince us that awe are going to be ill.

That to me is what I associate any type of motion sickness with.

I totally go along with Mrs Nobby when she suggests keeping ourselves or our children occupied as I feel it does help.

We have never sailed out of Southampton and realising that the weather is a very changeable thing I wondered what experiences people have had sailing from there in December. we are heading first for Madeira.

We have unfortunately copped for a balcony on deck 7 forward 7007. I have tried to change this but cannot. Thinking that there will be more movement at the front.

I want to be prepared as we are taking our 10 year old Grandson who is prone to sickness in the car. I wonder if there is a direct coloration to the two.

Anyone any comments?

Dear jaxw17,

I have not commented before as I don't want to be seen as one of those people who have an opinion on everything, but seeing as the advice is getting dangerous I feel I should speak up.,This was on the QM2 Western TransAtlantic which I did with my daughter October 2010. It was very "up and down", so much so, that my daughter was confined to bed for 24 hours. She then obtained, from the pursers' desk, medication which was wonderful, and now uses it when she flies as she finds it to be non drowsy and effective.

She then went on the QM2 last December 15 2011, repeating the same journey and it was so rough the vessel resembled the Marie Celeste and not only were the passengers scarce, but a large number of crew as well, and this was acknowlegded by the Captiain. On this voyage the Health Clinic was giving injections which were also very effective

I am sure this will be met by some demeaning comments and that is why I hesitate to add to this thread, but these are facts. Do not be put off by my comments as my daughter and I always gush about our voyages and are booked again, but if there is a problem then the medical staff onboard will have the solution.

Very Best Wishes.

I was on a transatlantic during November on the QMII. The waves were so high they broke open the doors on the main deck. The doors had to be tied closed. No one was allowed outside. The dancers were falling all over themselves during the evening entertainment. Much of the crew and many of the passengers were ill, but were being treated by the infirmary. This lasted for about three days. I commented to one of the crew about how horrible it was and she responded, " This is nothing compared to last week". From this I take it that gales on the North Atlantic are not uncommon. This was such a bad experience that we have stayed away from crossings. I guess we did not learn our lesson as we are schedule to cross to the QE in March.

Some interesting points have been made regarding this issue and whilst a remedy might work for me, and it might work for my children, then should I recommend it to anybody else?

Phenergan (promethazine)

Just a quick look at Mr Google and here we go...

Warning!

• This medicine should not be used for longer than seven days without seeking medical advice from your doctor.

• This medicine may cause drowsiness that can last up to 12 hours. If affected you should not perform potentially hazardous tasks such as driving or operating machinery. You should avoid drinking alcohol because it is likely to make any drowsiness worse.
  • This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight than it usually is, so you should avoid exposing your skin to direct sunlight or sunlamps until you know how your skin reacts. If you can't avoid strong sunlight you should use a sunscreen lotion or make sure your skin is protected with clothing.
  • This medicine may interfere with some pregnancy tests, causing false negative or false positive results.
  • If you are due to have any skin prick tests to diagnose allergies you should stop taking this medicine at least 72 hours before the tests. This is because antihistamines can prevent or lessen the skin reactions that indicate an allergy, and so can make the test results unreliable.
  • Phenergan elixir should not be used if the bottle has been open for more than a month. You may find it helpful to write the date you open the bottle on the label. Any syrup remaining in the bottle after it has been open for a month should be carefully disposed of, preferably by returning to your pharmacy.

Use with caution in

• Elderly people.
  • Decreased kidney function.
  • Decreased liver function.

I am only the messenger here and I confess to using that red marking to highlight the possible dangers of buying medications without any regard to possible side effects.

I was always under the opinion that sea sickness was a form of motion sickness and never thought for one minute that it was any different from air sickness or car sickness?

Are you sure sea sickness is just not one of these types of motion ailments.

Movement that is felt but not seen

Movement that is seen but not felt

Movement that contradict what the eyes are seeing and finally that psychological one that has the awful ability to convince us that awe are going to be ill.

That to me is what I associate any type of motion sickness with.

I totally go along with Mrs Nobby when she suggests keeping ourselves or our children occupied as I feel it does help.

jaxw17 asked for recommendations for sea sickness remedies and, as I understood the post, specifically for a 10 year old boy. I stupidly put my head up over the parapet and told them what was prescribed to my children by a Doctor onboard a ship for sea sickness and that this is available to buy without a prescription in the UK.

As to the warning about the use of phenergan most of the points are applicable to any antihistamine. I would expect anyone to speak to their Doctor or Pharmacist before giving their children ANY form of drugs either prescribed or brought over the counter.

Some of the warning did make me smile though. Do you really expect a 10 year old to be:-

a) performing potentially hazardous tasks such as driving or operating machinery and drinking alcohol

b) be taking a pregnancy test

As to what seasickness is in relation to car sickness or motion sickness who knows but again in my experience (20 years of cruising 15 of them with children) its not so much the swell or force but whether you are affected by pitch or roll and the length of time spent in the conditions.

My children dont get car sick but then the longest they have spent in a car is usually 6/8 hours at a time and the longest on a plane 14 hours. The longest my children have spent at sea is 5 weeks (Singapore to Southampton). They can sometimes get sea sickness if there are a number of sea days when the weather is moderately rough but surprisingly are not affected by a force 7/8 if it is just for a day.

Sometimes they can be affected within hours but then adjust to the movement and are fine other times they have been fine for the first 3 days or so of rough weather but been a bit off colour on day 4. Either way a dose of phenergan and a good sleep works for them.

Just to really put the cat amongst the pigeons most if not all of the drugs routinely given to children in the UK whether prescription or non prescription have not undergone clinical trials for the use in children. They will have been trailed and licenced for the use in adults. Does this mean we don't give children any drugs?

TTFN

Archived